Event Power
60F / 16C
Sunny
Total Time = 51m 26s
Overall Rank = 82/162
Age Group = M40-44
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

Woke up early..side stepped all the sleeping teenagers staying at my house (nieces/nephews). Ate some PB on WW and began hydrating (too much, as we'll find out later). Race was about 45 min away, so I left and got there about 2 hrs before start time. I love getting to places early. Met Ralph (rtocco).
Event warmup:

Wanted to see what it was like to actually swim in a 50m pool. Swam 200m, stetched a little using the starting blocks for leverage.
Swim
  • 08m 1s
  • 437 yards
  • 01m 50s / 100 yards
Comments:

TT start to swim..self seeded. You sat under your approx time in bleachers and lined up that way. I seeded myself in the back of Fast (7:30-8:00) and I swam 8:01, so I seeded properly. I passed about 8 people, which sounds great, except it tells me that they didn't seed properly (or had a bad day ). 2 situations people would not move to right and I had to sight (yea sighting in pool swim)..to figure out way around these guys. Overall though, for my first swim, I was very pleased. Funny story: I randomly pick a spot on bleachers next to guy before swim and Ralph (rtocco) spots us and he asks the guy if he's from BT..the guy says YES..it's Eddie (Cobannero)!! I had no clue, I just sat in bleachers.
What would you do differently?:

Maybe seed higher, but nothing too drastic.
Transition 1
  • 02m 4s
Comments:

Had long run to bike, since I racked right next to bike in/out which was opposite end of pool. Haven't even begun to think about putting shoes on pedal and Yes I wear socks. Probably could've shaved a few seconds here..but pleased overall.

Nothing.
Bike
  • 18m 10s
  • 6 miles
  • 19.82 mile/hr
Comments:

Pushed hard on bike and was aero the whole way (excpet for turns). Passed quite a few people, but it was a TT so I really had no idea who was on what lap. It was kind of cool getting passed by those disc wheel guys..you really CAN hear them coming!

Maybe work on breathing better, because I was spent at T2. Really pushed the bike hard.
Transition 2
  • 01m 25s
Comments:

Need to use Yankz on shoes..tried figuring them out night before, but decided against trying it for first time on race morning. Actually started towards run course with Helmet on head...and my nephew got picture of it!

Take helmet off head and use some kind of quick tie for running shoes. Leave biking shoes on pedals?? (down the road)
Run
  • 21m 49s
  • 2 miles
  • 10m 55s  min/mile
Comments:

Run was a disaster. I could not catch my breath at all!! I had to stop only about 300 yds into run..take some deep breaths and it improved but I was still completely out of breath. Then all that hydration came to the surface and I really had to pee!! Bad!! Still not ready to pee myself while running, especially for 2 stinking miles. No way..what's that up ahead?? An Actual bathroom in the middle of the park...so there I go into the urinal..in the middle of a stinking 2 mile run!!! Not to go into too much detail, but I was in there for what seemed like forever!!! Felt much better and off I went....finally got breathing under control...but not before stopping one more time. Ralph (rtocco) passed me and offered up some encouragement (that was cool)..and then I chugged home.

Bricks! Bricks! Bricks! My legs weren't the issue...they felt fine. I just couldn't catch my breath!
Post race
Warm down:

Ate some watermelon and met up with family. Said hi to a few girls from my gym, hey wifey was chose not to show up!:) It was their first tri also, and one of them took 3rd in her AG, but left before awards because awards took at least 1.5 hrs after race end.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Overweight engine..lack of brick training.

Event comments:

This was my first tri ever and I am very proud of myself for finishing. I know where my limitations lie and I will address that. Only 6 mos ago I was smoking a pack of cigs a day, couldn't swim 50m without being winded and forget about running and I didn't even own a bike (now I have 2!!).
Quick "gave me chills story": My best friend was killed on September 11 and we've known each other since we were 5..were college roommates for 3 years (we broke up for a year 4th year). We always talked about doing a triathlon together but there were beers to drink and pot to smoke, so we never did. During school breaks we would always drive home together (6 hours) and it was spooky how for 6 trips in a row we heard "Take me Home" by Phil Collins on the radio in roughly the same area of the interstate. After my tri yesterday, I begin to drive home and "Take me Home" comes on the radio! I miss you Richie and thanks for being there with me!

Profile Album

Last updated: 2006-11-14 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:08:01 | 437 yards | 01m 50s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 43/162
Performance: Good
Suit: tri shorts/top
Course: 8 Laps in 50m pool.
Start type: Inside Pool Plus:
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Average
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 02:04
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed:
Biking
00:18:10 | 06 miles | 19.82 mile/hr
Overall: 67/162
Wind: None
Course: 3 long loops with tight U-turns at both ends(2 miles each). Closed park road.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills:
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:25
Overall: Below average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal Bad
Running
00:21:49 | 02 miles | 10m 55s  min/mile
Overall: 130/162
Performance: Bad
Course: Some kind of goofy loops through the park...mixed surface of paved paths and grass. Grass portions were marked by chalk line that sometimes made 90 degree turn and I saw many people cutting the corners. I didn't get mad, I just laughed because they are only cheating themselves...like cheating on your score during golf.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 2
Physical exertion [1-5] 2
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Bad
Race evaluation [1-5] 3

{postbutton}
2007-04-23 3:01 PM

User image

Master
Long Island, NY
Subject: Mini Mighty Man Triathlon

2007-04-23 4:34 PM
in reply to: #773271

Master
Brooklyn, NY
Subject: RE: Mini Mighty Man Triathlon
Hey Tim,
You rocked in that race and don't let anyone else tell you otherwise (especially yourself). You gave it your all and you did much better than most on their 3rd tri (never mind first).

Nice job out there and congrats again on making such a huge and positive change in your life from just a few months ago.

2007-04-23 4:45 PM

User image

Veteran
Great job Triathlete! See you at the next race. I still can't believe that kid Matt won his AG.
2007-04-23 4:57 PM

User image

Champion
Dallas, TX
This was my first tri ever and I am very proud of myself for finishing. I know where my limitations lie and I will address that. Only 6 mos ago I was smoking a pack of cigs a day, couldn't swim 50m without being winded and forget about running and I didn't even own a bike (now I have 2!!).

You did a great job! Congratulations on your first tri! Considering your background, it's a huge accomplisment.

Yes, it sounds like Richie was there with you yesterday.

As for your breathing on the run, it might have carried over from too hard of a bike segment. I know if I go all out on the bike, I typically pay for it on the run.

Again, great job!
2007-04-23 5:50 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
northeast Ohio

ALRIGHT!!!!!!!!!!!!!  You are a triathlete!  Congratulations!

Very touching story about your friend and the song. 

Loved the pitstop during the run story too! 

2007-04-23 9:13 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
West Chicago
OUTSTANDING! Way to go Tim. Tim the triathlete - nice ring to it.......

2007-04-24 11:55 AM

User image

Sneaky Slow
Herndon, VA,
WTG, triathlete!!!  Pretty impressive... MOP for your first tri.  you are indeed a Mighty Man, if not mini. 
2007-04-24 12:02 PM

User image

Expert
Smyrna, GA
Awesome job.  Very touching story there at the end.  You should be very proud of yourself!!  
2007-04-26 9:37 PM

User image

Champion
Brooklyn, NY
Your first tri!  Nice!  Great job, Tim.  Can't wait to meet you at "Pancake".
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Mini Mighty Man Triathlon Rss Feed