Other Resources My Cup of Joe » Giving Money to Homeless Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, the bear, DerekL, alicefoeller Reply

of 4

Giving Money to Homeless
OptionResults
Yes - I give money to all1 Votes - [2.33%]
Maybe -- Depends on my mood or if I have a change18 Votes - [41.86%]
Maybe - Depends on how the person asks3 Votes - [6.98%]
No - It only enables their lifestyle. Want money - get a job.21 Votes - [48.84%]

2007-04-23 3:33 PM

User image

Expert
Sherman Oaks, CA
Subject: Giving Money to Homeless
I am back working in Santa Monica which has tons of homeless (can't really blame them -- rather be homeless here than New York.)

Many ask for money. I see the same homeless day after day. Some are aggressive while some just hold out a sign.

My policy is pretty much to ignore them. I think that if you give them money it will encourage them to ask you every day. And it will also encourage them to not get a job.

Heartless? Perhaps. Just way too many to deal with- do I bring $20 a day everytime I go to lunch? Plus, there is no way I can determine who really needs the money to live or who will use it for alcohol or drugs. I just don't see how giving them $1 makes a long-term difference. It might me feel better, but then I would only be giving money for selfish reasons.

I don't know of any good solution to the homeless problem. Do any of these perma-homeless people every make it back to society?

2007-04-23 3:43 PM
in reply to: #773338

User image

Champion
Chicago
Subject: RE: Giving Money to Homeless
My philosophy is the ones who need the money that bad are out looking for jobs at career-counseling centers, day-labor placement companies or homeless shelters where they offer some sort of jobs programs. I live in downtown Chicago and I think three people live in the bus stop in front of my building -- they seem to be there every night. The problem is it's the SAME three people. So I know they don't want a job or to work or anything -- they just want a handout. I ain't bitin' ... I see one of them reading books -- thick novels -- every day so I know he's at least somewhat educated. And he speaks very well and is polite. He opens the door at the local White Hen and says `Thank you and remember me on your way out.' So why doesn't he go to the shelter, get some decent clothes and a shower then go get a job as a doorman somewhere??? Just angers me that he doesn't because I know he has the ability to do so.
2007-04-23 3:45 PM

User image

Pro
Pittsburgh, my heart is in Glasgow
I don't know of any good solution to the homeless problem. Do any of these perma-homeless people every make it back to society?

It depends on the person...if they've got serious medical or mental health problems, it is unlikely. Pretty hard to scrounge up the $$ to see a doctor, pay for the meds, and keep taking them. If outreach doesn't ...reach...then its hard. Most people have a community that cares for them (family, friends, faith community, etc), and will help them to not fall through the cracks...but when you're homeless, your community stands at a distance because of the stigmas attached (sometimes as a result of mental illness). Its hard to help yourself up if you can't get your head on straight and your body clean, well fed, and well dressed for an interview.

And RE: drugs and alcohol...again, rehab costs money. Even free rehab means bus fares, travel, etc., and more often than not doesn't provide housing.

RE: giving money. I prefer to do work, rather than give cash because I'm lacking cash. I've got plenty of time and energy, just few dollars.
2007-04-23 3:48 PM

User image

Champion
Wisconsin
I don;t give $$, but I;ll give an apple or a sandwich if I have one...
2007-04-23 3:51 PM

User image

Master
Denver
Or you can donate money directly to your local homeless shelter.
2007-04-23 3:52 PM

User image

Veteran
jacksonville, FL
agree with possum I do the same

2007-04-23 3:57 PM

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2007-04-23 4:00 PM

Champion
Beautiful Sonoma County

The best philosophy I've heard about giving money to the homeless was from the show Sports Night, of all places.

The Robert Guillaume character said something to the effect of:

I give them whatever's in my pocket at the moment.  Yes, I'm sure they ARE going to use it to buy booze.  In fact, I hope they do.  It's not like these people are one sandwich away from becoming functioning members of society.  If a little booze helps ease their pain, so be it.

That said, I don't usually give money to people I see on the street.  If I happen to have some change in my pocket, or the person seems a bit more sympathetic, or I'm in the right mood, I might give the what I have on hand. 

2007-04-23 4:04 PM

Pro
Evanston,

I give (sometimes.)

In Houston, homeless panhandle at major intersections - no pedestrians, so they ask for change from drivers.  Some days, I have food in my car to share.  But I will give change at other times, if it is handy and I feel so compelled. 

The Bible says "give to him that asks" - that is a toughie.  Ultimately when i do give, it is more about protecting my own heart from getting hard.  The homeless are people.  It's about how i view/judge/treat people.  We are all made in God's image, however far we may appear to have strayed from the original design.

sorry if i can't articulate this particularly well without getting real preachy & self-righteous - ack.

2007-04-23 4:13 PM
in reply to: #773388

Expert
Sherman Oaks, CA
madkat - 2007-04-23 2:00 PM

I give them whatever's in my pocket at the moment.  Yes, I'm sure they ARE going to use it to buy booze.  In fact, I hope they do.  It's not like these people are one sandwich away from becoming functioning members of society.  If a little booze helps ease their pain, so be it.

I don't agree with his philosophy at all. Why not just give them heroin or PCP as well if it will ease their pain.
2007-04-23 4:14 PM

Champion
Alabama

Always give…usually just a $1 or $5 but always something. Lot's of sad stories out there…..and I give 'em the benefit of the doubt. Then again, my city is pretty well off and we don't have many homeless. Usually I see them when I'm traveling. If I saw the same ones day after day, I'd probably only give them a dollar.

Think of it as donating to welfare. Somebody is gonna support these people. It's either gonna be the state or some charity organization or individuals or they will steal it...but society is gonna support them. I figure what's a buck to a guy that spent $2,000 for a bicycle!

~Mike

2007-04-23 4:17 PM
in reply to: #773385

Master
the "get a job" option is based on the assumption that having a job will keep you from becoming homeless. in fact, it is estimated that 15 to 25% of the homeless actually have jobs. part of the problem is when wages are not sufficient to prevent homelessness. other factors: lack of health insurace, shortage of affordable housing, a decline in public assistance programs, and a growing number of people living in poverty.

people don't just become homeless over night, and getting off the streets isn't as simple as getting a job. what do you need to apply for a job? oh, things like an address and a phone number where they can call you back. things that most of the homeless don't have. and if an employer returns a call and gets a homeless shelter (many of which aren't open during daytime hours), you can bet that they'll move on to the next applicant. yes, there are programs out there to assist with these things, but they are by and large understaffed, underfunded, and overwhelmed.

40% of homeless men are veterans, and families with children account for 1/3 of the homeless population--including many women who left where they were living b/c of domestic violence.

these are systemic failures, not simply the result of people being lazy or not wanting to work-- 2 out of 5 people who experience homelessness are children. and while there is a disproportionate rate of addiction among the homeless population compared to the rest of the population, most addicts in the US are not homeless.
2007-04-23 4:28 PM

Elite
DC Metro, slowly working my way to NC

More often than not, I'll give something if I can. 

When I worked in the city, there was a homeless gentleman in a wheelchair that sold newspapers.  (The paper company worked w/these folks so they could have some sort of job) - many days I bought a paper, told him to keep the change, and went on with my day.  I was happy he was at least trying to do something. 

2007-04-23 4:31 PM

Elite
San Jose, CA

On the average, I do not give money.  I use to, but there are so many now, and most of them that I see, smell of alcohol, amongst other things.  When I had money, I would sometimes give, if they seemed sincere about needing food.  More often, I would buy them a sandwich instead.   It breaks my heart, because I am a very caring person, but I feel that giving them money just encourages them to keep living on drugs and alcohol.  I would rather give to organizations that do good works for the homeless. 

One pet peve I have, is the "vendors" outside my grocery store, that hit me up to sign their petitions, or give money to certain organizations.  First off...how do I know they are actually from said orgainization, and second...I really hate being bugged on my way into the grocery store, or coming out. 

2007-04-23 4:31 PM

Got Wahoo?
San Antonio

About a year ago I was running an errand and kind of got harrassed at an intersection (to the point I had to get out of my car to get him to stop "patting" the hood). About 45 minutes later I was in a convience store at the same intersection and the "homless" guy was just leaving the store and talking over his shoulder in a joking, mocking way.

The clerk was shaking his head and I mentioned the issue I had just had with the bum. The clerk told me that that guy made about 1500 per week at that intersection and that every day after rush hour the beggar would come in, by cigs and beer, flash his wad and talk about his day at the office.

I don't know if the specifics are true, but I would not be surprised.

Edited by tmwelshy 2007-04-23 4:34 PM
2007-04-23 4:34 PM
in reply to: #773421

Champion
Chicago
jimbo - 2007-04-23 4:17 PM

people don't just become homeless over night, and getting off the streets isn't as simple as getting a job. what do you need to apply for a job? oh, things like an address and a phone number where they can call you back. things that most of the homeless don't have. and if an employer returns a call and gets a homeless shelter (many of which aren't open during daytime hours), you can bet that they'll move on to the next applicant. yes, there are programs out there to assist with these things, but they are by and large understaffed, underfunded, and overwhelmed.

There are lots of programs out there and lots of homeless who don't take advantage of them. I agree that they're underfunded and understaffed. But blaming the system for not being able to get people out of a situation in which they should never be in in the first place isn't the answer. Preventing homelessness before it happens is the answer. As you said becoming homeless doesn't happen overnight so my philosophy is those who are homeless probably either saw it coming or were too stoned or drunk to see it coming, so too bad for them.

I used to really feel for the homeless until I lived in an urban area with them. First in Omaha and now in Chicago. Like I said before it's the same group that always beg for money. I have no sympathy for a guy who's been living on the same street for three years without so much as trying to get a job. I work hard for what I have and I don't care if it is $1 -- it's MY dollar. I give enough through charities like Team in Training and the Humane Society. To me curing cancer or helping animals is better than giving money to the homeless, but that's my opinion.

2007-04-23 4:34 PM
in reply to: #773444

Elite
San Jose, CA
tmwelshy - 2007-04-23 2:31 PM

About a year ago I was running an errand and kind of got harrassed at an intersection (to the point I had to get out of my car to get him to stop "patting" the hood). About 45 minutes later I was in a convience store at the same intersection and the "homless" guy was just leaving the store and talking over his shoulder in a joking, mocking way.

The clerk was shaking his head and I mentioned the issue I had just had with the bum. The clerk told me that that guy made about 1500 per week at that intersection and that every day after rush hour the beggar would come in, by cigs and beer, flash his wad and talk about his day at the office.

I don't knwo if the specifics are true, but I would not be surprised.

There are guys like this where I live....I see them in certain convenience stores.

2007-04-23 4:36 PM

over a barrier
Living in a big city, I see the same people through out my daily life and in most cases they are full of it.

The same people try and stop me with different stories every day. I started calling them out on it...

I had one guy I would give some change to every now and then, but on days when I didn't give he got aggressive so I stopped all together.
2007-04-23 4:41 PM
in reply to: #773451

Champion
Chicago
running2far - 2007-04-23 4:36 PM

Living in a big city, I see the same people through out my daily life and in most cases they are full of it.

The same people try and stop me with different stories every day. I started calling them out on it...

I had one guy I would give some change to every now and then, but on days when I didn't give he got aggressive so I stopped all together.

We have a lot in Chicago. If I recall you work on Wacker Drive? I do too and there are TONS around here. I give money if they're doing something -- like the guy who plays the accordion, though I don't think he's homeless, or the guy who plays the old beat-up saxaphone across from the Board of Trade every morning at 7 a.m. It's a nice wake-me-up and he's really not that bad. Not good but better than I could ever be! In my opinion those guys are earning their keep by performing a service.
2007-04-23 4:59 PM
in reply to: #773468

Expert
Sherman Oaks, CA
mr2tony - 2007-04-23 2:41 PM

We have a lot in Chicago. If I recall you work on Wacker Drive? I do too and there are TONS around here. I give money if they're doing something -- like the guy who plays the accordion, though I don't think he's homeless, or the guy who plays the old beat-up saxaphone across from the Board of Trade every morning at 7 a.m. It's a nice wake-me-up and he's really not that bad. Not good but better than I could ever be! In my opinion those guys are earning their keep by performing a service.

Damn straight. At least entertain me.

I really hate the homeless that snicker at you when you don't give them anything. They give all homeless a bad name.

I live in a bubble. I am the first to admit it. It may be that these homeless people are infringing on my bubble and I don't like it.

But as posted above, there are many that are taking advantage of people's good nature.
2007-04-23 5:05 PM

Master
It's kind of funny that this topic was brought up. I was watching South Park last night and they did it on the homeless.

2007-04-23 5:10 PM
in reply to: #773468

over a barrier
QUOTE]

and to be honest, I don't understand why. The winter is an awful time to be without shelter in Chicago. The Sax guy and accordion move around the area, Sax guy plays outside of union station in the late afternoon. He used to drive me crazy though because I could hear him from my desk and he only plays two or three songs - you can only hear Pink Panther so many times before you want to scream. I'll give those guys credit , they at least try and do something....unlike the guys that give you a xerox copy of a piece of paper and try and get a dollar out of you...

And if you haven't learned all ready - If someone says "Can I ask you a question" The answer is always NO

Hope you're enjoying the city life...
2007-04-23 5:12 PM

Master
Forgot to mention...on a more serious note, I've worked with the homeless in Baltimore.

Everyone has a story and it really opened my eyes up. I lived in a bubble most of my life, but the experience I had there, I won't ever forget. I know that it's difficult to give money, but I found for myself, the best thing is to donate time and energy at shelters, donate clothing, or even offering your skills to help someone out goes a long way.
2007-04-23 5:19 PM

Expert
Conifer, Colorado
What about "Conservative Compassion-ism"? LOL

Help when you can... Use good judgment! Seriously, Homelessness is caused for myriad reasons... not just the typical mean-spirited reasons spat by the conservative and radical right...

Health care including mental illness is all but ignored as important issues by the current administration... treatment programs are restrictive for many homeless if they are even available at all!

Compassion, help the helpless... these concepts sound so foreign these days.
2007-04-23 5:25 PM
in reply to: #773447

Master
mr2tony - 2007-04-23 5:34 PM

• ..so my philosophy is those who are homeless probably either saw it coming or were too stoned or drunk to see it coming, so too bad for them.

• again, 2 out of 5 people who experience homelessness are children. i don't think they "saw it coming" or were "too stoned or drunk." yes, it really is too bad for them.
    New Thread
    Other Resources My Cup of Joe » Giving Money to Homeless Rss Feed  

of 4