Other Resources My Cup of Joe » Giving Money to Homeless Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, the bear, DerekL, alicefoeller Reply

of 4

Giving Money to Homeless
OptionResults
Yes - I give money to all1 Votes - [2.33%]
Maybe -- Depends on my mood or if I have a change18 Votes - [41.86%]
Maybe - Depends on how the person asks3 Votes - [6.98%]
No - It only enables their lifestyle. Want money - get a job.21 Votes - [48.84%]

2007-04-24 10:35 AM
in reply to: #773338

User image

Champion
Tacoma, Washington
Subject: RE: Giving Money to Homeless
Well, there are times when I've given some money to some one who was obviously in a tight spot, and occasionally I'll give some spare change to some one begging onthe street. When they're willing to work for it, I'll give green. The best one was a guy who was making key chains using beads, shoelaces and rings. Wasn't looking for a hand-out, he was selling his wares. Sure, he was asking more than they were probably worth, but I gotta give the guy credit for putting effort into getting the money.

2007-04-24 10:58 AM
in reply to: #774425

User image

Buttercup

Hmmm I thought I posted this yesterday but don't see my post. I'll try again.

(Yesterday) I counted 69 pretty blouses in my closet. Those are just the spring/summer wardrobe. I counted 40 shirts in my running/tri/biking drawer. I own 2 pairs of skis, 2 bikes, set of golf clubs, gear galore, I am very well (too well) fed. I have more than I could ever need. I live a modest life, but I feel my cup is running over. I don't want for things, so what good is my money if I can't spread a little kindness? It's a pebble in the pond.

A couple of months ago, I was driving home late at night through downtown Tampa. There on the steps of Sacred Hearts Church were lying about 10 people. They were completely covered with blankets. For that night, it was their best option. And I was going home to my cozy bed with new linens in my warm and safe home.

I have so much and it's such a little thing to give a few bucks. So I do. I don't care if they buy booze - whatever gets them through the night.

And Mike, WELL SAID!

2007-04-24 11:18 AM
in reply to: #774071

User image

Alpharetta, Georgia
Bronze member
Marvarnett - 2007-04-24 7:27 AM

Use the programs that are available or live with your choices.  Note: this does not apply to the minority that have legitimate problems (mental, etc)

Word.

I'm a pretty compassionate person. I've worked at three nonprofit organizations and give a percentage of my paycheck automatically to my company's employee-giving organization. BUT I have major issues with the homeless. Most of my points have already been made, but the one I quoted is the crux of what I believe in.

There are hundreds and thousands of programs out there to stop the cycle of homelessness, but the fact is that most of the homeless don't want the help - they actually refuse it. If you aren't willing to take the help that is being thrown at you, sorry. No sympathy.

Not only is giving money to the homeless perpetuating their lifestyle, but so is volunteering at the local shelter or food bank. If you really want to help, sit on a nonprofit board whose mission is to END homelessness. Volunteer at organizations that teach life skills or provide transitional housing.
2007-04-24 11:24 AM
in reply to: #774394

User image

Elite
Venture Industries,
mr2tony - 2007-04-24 11:24 AM

Mother Teresa was once asked how she felt about the continuing increase in poverty in Calcutta despite all of her efforts.

She said something like, "What, you think this is about success? This is not about success, this is about faith."

We are our brother's/sister's keeper and we always need to acknowledge their humanity. That's the most important thing, I think.

Sometimes the most Christlike material response is an apple. When given in love, who knows the grace that may flow from that gift.

(and I also think Mike's Christian charity is consistent with his conservative beliefs... he believes in personal responsibility, and he is taking personal responsibility for the pain of his fellow human beings...)

See maybe that's my problem -- I'm not the keeper of the homeless. I have to go out and work hard every day for what I have and I'll be damned if I'm giving it away to someone who doesn't deserve it. Like I said I donate to cancer research, the Humane Society and several other charities. My family is a big donor to a boys home that helps young men try to steer their lives in the right direction so they don't end up on the streets. I think that's what we need more of -- prevention. Again, it's my contention that if we eliminate the problem before it starts then we'll have many fewer homeless. The U.S. is a very reactive society. We always react to problems before stepping in before they become a problem. Homelessness is no exception. We have millions of people who are homeless yet we waste our resources on handing over money to the people who ARE going to spend it on booze or drugs or cigarettes (they're never short of smokes). Instead we could give that money to prevention programs such as the one for which a previous poster said she worked.

Interesting...I think you may have a skewed view of the homeless.  Of course there are those that are homeless because of their own vices.  But there are also a vast many that are homeless because of circumstances beyond their control.

For instance,  the mother and child that are homeless because they have fled from an abusive spouse.  Think about it, if she flees to protect her life and her childrens lives, has no other family support, and needs first, last, and security deposit before she gets into an apartment, not to mention deposits for phone and electricity, where is this money going to come from?

Too often we view the homeless as those that have put themselves there because of their own short comings.  Admittedly there are a great many of those people.  But there are also a great many of the homeless that are there because of tragic circumstances.

Not to mention the notion of donating to "prevention" efforts is one of those idiological statements without any real impact behind it.  What prevention issues:  poverty, drug abuse, addiction counseling, domestic violence, under employment, unemployment, the lack of affordable housing, poor education, poor infra structure, low minimum wages, crime, predatory lending policies, illegal imigration, ..ect..

2007-04-24 11:25 AM

User image

Pro
Evanston,

Phone/address and mental health and addiction and disability aren't the only barriers to employment.  There are also criminal records in some cases.  McDonald's and such will not hire an ex-con.  The best I've known those guys to do is find a small contractor type who is willing to give them a break and hire them for unskilled labor.  Which is fine for anyone without a physical disability, but not always easy to find.

If I give money, it is usually to women.  Sometimes to men who look sober.  

I have worked/volunteered with homeless off and on since I was 17 - know plenty of people and plenty of stories.  Sometimes just talking to people and humanizing them is the most important thing.  If I don't have change or food, I offer prayers.  Some of the guys are hustlers, sure.  But the vast majority of the women are mentally ill.

On a tangent, knowing a large percentage of the Oakland & Berkeley homeless when I was in college did come in handy sometimes, when I was traveling around by bus to sketchy neighborhoods in particular.  It seemed there was always someone who knew me by name looking out for me. 

2007-04-24 11:28 AM
in reply to: #774534

User image

Elite
Venture Industries,
lisac957 - 2007-04-24 12:18 PM
Marvarnett - 2007-04-24 7:27 AM Use the programs that are available or live with your choices.  Note: this does not apply to the minority that have legitimate problems (mental, etc)

Word. I'm a pretty compassionate person. I've worked at three nonprofit organizations and give a percentage of my paycheck automatically to my company's employee-giving organization. BUT I have major issues with the homeless. Most of my points have already been made, but the one I quoted is the crux of what I believe in. There are hundreds and thousands of programs out there to stop the cycle of homelessness, but the fact is that most of the homeless don't want the help - they actually refuse it. If you aren't willing to take the help that is being thrown at you, sorry. No sympathy. Not only is giving money to the homeless perpetuating their lifestyle, but so is volunteering at the local shelter or food bank. If you really want to help, sit on a nonprofit board whose mission is to END homelessness. Volunteer at organizations that teach life skills or provide transitional housing.

Right...transitional housing..... right... where I live there are exactly 30 beds for "transitional housing" in the entire county.  All of these beds are for battered woman and their children.  There isn't a single bed (to my knowledge) for transitional housing if you're a man. 

2007-04-24 11:41 AM

User image

Expert
Guelph, Ontario

I don't do anything with any sort of regularity, but I thought I would share a story.

I was in Toronto last year to see a Rock game and it was "Ladies Night".  I had no idea about this prior to the event and really didn't care.  The promotional perk of Ladies Night was that as you left the game each female was given a large bag of M&M's.  In the confusion of the crowd I got missed and didn't get my candies.  I mentioned this to my bf and he turned around and asked the door person for a bag.  She explained it was ladies night blah blah blah and that I would have to come to the door and get it.. so I did.  (Seems like a lot of trouble for some chocolates)  Anyway, after I get my candies and we are walking back to the car I noticed a homless man.  He was pretty hard not to notice as he was sitting right in the middle of the court yard literally just outside the stadium.  People are milling about, trying to get to their vehicles, pushing and shoving.. all eating these free yummy M&M's.  As we walk past, he asked us for money.  I told him I didn't have any but if he likes M&M's he can have mine.  He seemed taken aback that someone was actually speaking to him, so he nodded and I handed them over.  I didn't really give it much thought.  Its not the healthiest snack, but its not money to buy drugs or booze.  Not to mention how horrible it must have been for him to be sitting there while hundreds of people walked passed him with their free candies that they got after watching a sporting event.  Just didn't sit well with me.     

2007-04-24 12:02 PM
in reply to: #774554

User image

Expert
Sherman Oaks, CA
CitySky - 2007-04-24 9:25 AM

On a tangent, knowing a large percentage of the Oakland & Berkeley homeless when I was in college did come in handy sometimes, when I was traveling around by bus to sketchy neighborhoods in particular.  It seemed there was always someone who knew me by name looking out for me. 

I went to Berkeley and for four years I saw many of the same homeless there. They could have worked (I think) but they liked smoking pot and dropping acid (stereotypes) instead of working.

It gets annoying to be accosted for money everytime you walk down a street. You start becoming immune to it and it makes you angry after a point. I was actually frustrated that I saw my compassion diminish.
2007-04-24 12:05 PM
in reply to: #774534

User image

Champion
Alabama
lisac957 - 2007-04-24 11:18 AM
Marvarnett - 2007-04-24 7:27 AM Use the programs that are available or live with your choices.  Note: this does not apply to the minority that have legitimate problems (mental, etc)

Word. I'm a pretty compassionate person. I've worked at three nonprofit organizations and give a percentage of my paycheck automatically to my company's employee-giving organization. BUT I have major issues with the homeless. Most of my points have already been made, but the one I quoted is the crux of what I believe in. There are hundreds and thousands of programs out there to stop the cycle of homelessness, but the fact is that most of the homeless don't want the help - they actually refuse it. If you aren't willing to take the help that is being thrown at you, sorry. No sympathy. Not only is giving money to the homeless perpetuating their lifestyle, but so is volunteering at the local shelter or food bank. If you really want to help, sit on a nonprofit board whose mission is to END homelessness. Volunteer at organizations that teach life skills or provide transitional housing.

I think transitional housing is wonderful but I don't think we can put everyone in the same box.

Let me tell you a personal story of someone I once knew. Art was a full-blooded Cree Indian who grew up on the reservation. Both his parents were alcoholics who died young due to their alcohol abuse. The state put Art into a foster home where he was sexually, physically and mentally abused for years by his foster parents. To punish Art they would shave his eyebrows to humiliate him. When Art was about 14 he ran away from home and lived on the streets. He became an alcoholic and a 'bum' and was one of those people you see living under the overpass begging for money.

There is more to this story but it breaks my heart to tell it. But I'll say again, not everyone needs "transitional housing".

~Mike

Edited by Rogillio 2007-04-24 12:07 PM
2007-04-24 12:10 PM

User image

Elite

In Atlanta, the church where I attend has a clothing ministry and half-way house for men (actually several churches do this).  A lot of the clothes they receive are men's suits, and there is an effort to make the men look presentable so they can get jobs, see their families,  and look respectable as they try to re-establish themselves in society.  So, it is common to see a homeless guy in a pretty nice suit.  Some of these guys are clearly less than half-way there and may be moving in the wrong direction.  Over the last few years, I bet I have gotten panhandled on 4 or 5 occasions by guys in suits whose story was that they were preachers on their way to a conduct funeral and their car was broken down on the interstate.   They urgently needed $20 to get a cab to get to the service.  For some reason, it is always a funeral and it is always $20.  I caught onto the scam on the first attempt but nevertheless, I have still given more than one of the guys the $20.    The first guy was just so good.   I talked to him for a minute or two to make him fill me in on all the details of the deceased, what scripture he was going to read, offered to call a wrecker for his car and a few other diversions to watch him improvise.  I never got him flustered.  He was pro.  I don't recommend my approach because it might just get you mugged.  But, I have gotten my money's worth in entertainment.

There is giving and there is careful giving.  I am obviously not a careful giver.  Janicewhokeepsmehumble, on the other hand, is in the business of giving money away--in big chunks to many worth causes not just homeless shelters.  She only gives to non-profit agencies and she visits and interviews staff and the aid recipients before giving support.  It is a time-consuming job.   She is always looking for the essential ingredients of good people and a good cause.  Then she puts her money in.  And she follows up to see how the money was spent.

Geezerette #2 is also a careful giver but within her rather meager means.   When she lived in DC, she walked to work in downtown DC and got lots of opportunities to help homeless people.  Her approach was to take the person into the deli, have them pick out the food they wanted and then pay for the food so they would not buy liquor.

Giving is one of the basic needs of humanity.  There people who need help and there are people who need to give help.   It is not somebody else's job.  It is our own job, our own humanity, to  do it and do it as well as we can.

TW

2007-04-24 12:17 PM

User image

Master
Portland, OR

A few years ago PGCG and I were with the kids and decided to stop by Burger King.  (No, I do not eat fast food anymore...this was 3 years ago when i didn't give a rip about what went into my body.)  As we pulled out we passed a family on the side of the road.  2 parents, 3 kids. 

My first instict was anger because they had their three small kids on the side of a busy hwy.  Then I yelled at PGCG to pull over.  I grabbed all of the BK bags and jumped out and handed all of the food over to the family.  The mom started to cry and the dad got teary, too.  He said, thank you as the kids eagerly dove into the bags for the same things my kids did...the toy.  You could tell it wasn't easy for this guy to stand on that corner.  But his kids were hungry.

I give a good chunk of money to the local rescue mission here in Portland to help feed and shelter the homeless, most of them families that have been mentioned above and in previous posts.   The only thing separating "us" from "them" is a good job and a savings account. 

2007-04-24 12:21 PM
in reply to: #774622

User image

Elite
Venture Industries,

" I was actually frustrated that I saw my compassion diminish."

This is an odd statement if you think about it..."You" were "frustrated" with yourself because "you" saw your own compasssion diminish....?  It's an odd thing to say, I think.

It's your compassion...you control it...if you have lost your compassion it's not the fault of others.  Having compassion for those that are not suffering or experiencing hard times isn't all that difficult.  It's the odious, and scorned, and wretched people that need your compassion. (Matt. 5:44-48)

You lost your own compassion...no one took it from you.

Edited by ASA22 2007-04-24 12:24 PM
2007-04-24 12:22 PM

User image

Coach
Stairway to Seven
I give my time. I volunteer for a local medical program that makes "house calls" to homeless living underbridges, on the river bank, etc. While we are there, we do have sandwiches, but also dry socks, donated clothing, medication refills and we talk.

Yes, during the day when they are panhandling, they can be a pain. But they are different when you get to know them.

That's essentially why I became a doctor...so that I would have something to give.

Thanks for reminding me.

Here is a group that I work with, and made the website for:

http://www.streetmedicine.org/
2007-04-24 12:22 PM

User image

COURT JESTER
ROCKFORD, IL

This is more a “by food” post:

When I worked in Baltimore, would occasionally walk down to Taco Bell for lunch.  One day a woman asked if would get her a taco.  I said yes and told her I'd get her a couple of hard shell tacos.  She had the nerve to ask for soft shell because she didn't LIKE hard shell taco.  Result, No tacos for her.

My dad was working downtown Rockford one day and man asks him if he can spare some money so he can get some food.  It was almost lunchtime and my dad was heading to a nearby place for soup and sandwich (about $5 for lunch) and asked the guy to join him.  He said no, and that he would really just appreciate the money.  Result, No money and No lunch for him.

Edited by tupuppy 2007-04-24 12:23 PM
2007-04-24 12:23 PM
in reply to: #774644

User image

Buttercup
tech_geezer - 2007-04-24 1:10 PM

Giving is one of the basic needs of humanity.  There people who need help and there are people who need to give help.   It is not somebody else's job.  It is our own job, our own humanity, to  do it and do it as well as we can.

TW

*Golf Clap*

2007-04-24 12:25 PM

User image

Crystal Lake, IL

The blase categorization and commenting on 'them' in this thread is frightening.  I know I may seem to be doing alright financially but I'm potentially a bad car accident and a major hospital stay away from being homeless myself.  I don't think enough of us realize us this.  The homeless are not 'them'.  The homeless are us.  They are people just like us. 

Think they are all addicted drug and alcohol abusers?  Yeah, well so are a lot of the people I know who live in houses. 

Think the homeless are all mentally ill?  I know a lot of people who have had nervous breakdowns and are being treated for one mental disorder or another.   Some of them are customers of mine, neighbors and family members. 

Think the homeless are all lazy slobs?  We give this site a lot of credit for helping us acheive our goals through encouragement.  How much harder is life when you are constantly being kicked in the teeth and looked down upon?  Hard to say how hard it would be to bounce back when you haven't walked in their shoes. 

I'm not claiming to be Mother Theresa and I'm not a bleeding heart tree-hugging dirty hippy liberal and I don't give any more than most other people to charity.  However, compassion does not equal money given and I don't have any misgivings or frustration over how I feel about the plight of people who live on the street because I am comfortable with my compassion for their situation. 

2007-04-24 12:25 PM

User image

Champion
Alabama
tech_geezer - 2007-04-24 12:10 PM

In Atlanta, the church where I attend has a clothing ministry and half-way house for men (actually several churches do this).  A lot of the clothes they receive are men's suits, and there is an effort to make the men look presentable so they can get jobs, see their families,  and look respectable as they try to re-establish themselves in society.  So, it is common to see a homeless guy in a pretty nice suit.  Some of these guys are clearly less than half-way there and may be moving in the wrong direction.  Over the last few years, I bet I have gotten panhandled on 4 or 5 occasions by guys in suits whose story was that they were preachers on their way to a conduct funeral and their car was broken down on the interstate.   They urgently needed $20 to get a cab to get to the service.  For some reason, it is always a funeral and it is always $20.  I caught onto the scam on the first attempt but nevertheless, I have still given more than one of the guys the $20.    The first guy was just so good.   I talked to him for a minute or two to make him fill me in on all the details of the deceased, what scripture he was going to read, offered to call a wrecker for his car and a few other diversions to watch him improvise.  I never got him flustered.  He was pro.  I don't recommend my approach because it might just get you mugged.  But, I have gotten my money's worth in entertainment.

This is hilarious!  Good for you for seeing though their BS but giving to them anyway!

~Mike

2007-04-24 12:28 PM

User image

Master
San Diego, CA

Well said !! Sometimes it is just a nice diversion from our own issues, to focus on serving someone else, and providing unconditional love.

I have had people take advantage of my (occasional) generosity, and it was a big turn off. But I later realized that I need to continue to go out on a limb and continue to help others (despite the risk of being burned again).

Don't get me wrong, I'm no saint, or anything close. But it is SO great to be able to help someone and not ask for anything in return.

The tough part is when there is a need on such a huge scale. As others have already posted, when you get hit up over and over and over, you become desensitized. This happens in large cities all over, but I was most aware of it when I visited Chicago. I remember thinking that I was seeing the best and the worst that man had to offer as I wandered through the city....

tech_geezer - 2007-04-24 10:10 AM

There people who need help and there are people who need to give help. It is not somebody else's job.

Edited by dhyte 2007-04-24 12:56 PM
2007-04-24 12:36 PM
in reply to: #774673

User image

Expert
Sherman Oaks, CA
ASA22 - 2007-04-24 10:21 AM

This is an odd statement if you think about it..."You" were "frustrated" with yourself because "you" saw your own compasssion diminish....?  It's an odd thing to say, I think.

It's your compassion...you control it...if you have lost your compassion it's not the fault of others.  Having compassion for those that are not suffering or experiencing hard times isn't all that difficult.  It's the odious, and scorned, and wretched people that need your compassion. (Matt. 5:44-48)

I still stand by my statement.

I became hardened watching 20 and 30 somethings beg for money and then have the gall to yell at you when you didn't acquiesce.

I can't differentiate between the truly needy and the professional panhandlers. When you see able-bodied people panhandle year after year, it makes you wonder.

They are a tax on society and giving them money is just redistributing wealth. We would all be better off if they got jobs and were able to contribute.

That is why I am in favor of programs that don't perpetuate homeless but end it. It was interesting to read in one of the posts how soup kitchens make the problem worse. Interesting.
2007-04-24 12:57 PM
in reply to: #774680

User image

Giver
hangloose - 2007-04-24 1:25 PM

The blase categorization and commenting on 'them' in this thread is frightening. 

Good point. In another post, someone put it bluntly like this:

"If you want to get a thread pulled, then post something that refers to a group of people like oh, say a specific race, and start railing about how "they" all believe something and "they" are all hypocritical, etc."

Just because there probably aren't a lot of homeless people on this board doesn't mean we should feel free to make sweeping generalizations. Carry on.

2007-04-24 1:19 PM
in reply to: #774705

User image

Elite
Venture Industries,
[QUOTE]GolfMark - 2007-04-24 1:36 PM
ASA22 - 2007-04-24 10:21 AM

I still stand by my statement. I became hardened watching 20 and 30 somethings beg for money and then have the gall to yell at you when you didn't acquiesce. I can't differentiate between the truly needy and the professional panhandlers. When you see able-bodied people panhandle year after year, it makes you wonder. They are a tax on society and giving them money is just redistributing wealth. We would all be better off if they got jobs and were able to contribute. That is why I am in favor of programs that don't perpetuate homeless but end it. It was interesting to read in one of the posts how soup kitchens make the problem worse. Interesting.

And just out of curiosity what are these programs that "don't perpetuate homelss[ness] but end it" that you are in favor of?

It's sad that you let others take your compassion away from you.  Compassion is fully yours to give, no one can take that away from you unless of course you let them.  And, likewise i stand by my statement (Jesus' statement actually) that it's easy to have compassion for those that have a good life and don't offend our sensibilities.  But, they really don't need our compassion.  It's precisely the people that are down and out, are wretched, are scorned, are ridiculed, are austrisized, are on the outside, that need our compassion.

Edited by ASA22 2007-04-24 1:24 PM

2007-04-24 1:49 PM
in reply to: #774680

User image

Champion
Atlanta, Ga
hangloose - 2007-04-24 1:25 PM

The blase categorization and commenting on 'them' in this thread is frightening.  I know I may seem to be doing alright financially but I'm potentially a bad car accident and a major hospital stay away from being homeless myself.  I don't think enough of us realize us this.  The homeless are not 'them'.  The homeless are us.  They are people just like us. 

Think they are all addicted drug and alcohol abusers?  Yeah, well so are a lot of the people I know who live in houses. 

Think the homeless are all mentally ill?  I know a lot of people who have had nervous breakdowns and are being treated for one mental disorder or another.   Some of them are customers of mine, neighbors and family members. 

Think the homeless are all lazy slobs?  We give this site a lot of credit for helping us acheive our goals through encouragement.  How much harder is life when you are constantly being kicked in the teeth and looked down upon?  Hard to say how hard it would be to bounce back when you haven't walked in their shoes. 

I'm not claiming to be Mother Theresa and I'm not a bleeding heart tree-hugging dirty hippy liberal and I don't give any more than most other people to charity.  However, compassion does not equal money given and I don't have any misgivings or frustration over how I feel about the plight of people who live on the street because I am comfortable with my compassion for their situation. 

Hangloose,

I can see your point but I disagree.  I would like to think (I hope I never find out) that if all was taken from me today that I would get up, dust myself off and start again.  I would apply at every single place that I could, scrub toilets, pick up chewing gum, etc.  I know that I would apply for any and all programs that are available even if I didn't qualify.

I don't think someone is fine today and homeless tomorrow.  Even the abused PARENT (not just mother) that takes their kids out of an abusive relationship has options.  Shelters, friends, relatives, churches, strangers.  For me, there would be no pride issue.  It's only about what I have to do for my family.

But like I said...I hope I never find out.

Edited by Marvarnett 2007-04-24 1:51 PM
2007-04-24 2:03 PM
in reply to: #774781

User image

Expert
Sherman Oaks, CA
ASA22 - 2007-04-24 11:19 AM

And just out of curiosity what are these programs that "don't perpetuate homelss[ness] but end it" that you are in favor of?

It's sad that you let others take your compassion away from you.  Compassion is fully yours to give, no one can take that away from you unless of course you let them.  And, likewise i stand by my statement (Jesus' statement actually) that it's easy to have compassion for those that have a good life and don't offend our sensibilities.  But, they really don't need our compassion.  It's precisely the people that are down and out, are wretched, are scorned, are ridiculed, are austrisized, are on the outside, that need our compassion.

Programs that help them get a job. As someone noted, many homeless refuse that.

Giving them food helps them for the moment. And makes the giver feel good for that moment. Not that there is anything wrong with that, but it doesn't solve the bigger issue.

Teach a man to fish...

2007-04-24 2:08 PM
in reply to: #774828

User image

Crystal Lake, IL
Marvarnett - 2007-04-24 1:49 PM

hangloose,

I can see your point but I disagree.  I would like to think (I hope I never find out) that all was taken from me today that I would get up, dust myself off and start again.  I would apply at every single place that I could, scrub toilets, pick up chewing gum, etc.  I would like to think that I would apply for any and all programs that are available.

I don't think someone is fine today and homeless tomorrow.  Even the abused PARENT (not just mother) that takes their kids out of an abusive relationship has options.  Shelters, friends, relatives, churches, strangers.  For me, there would be no pride issue.  It's only about what I have to do for my family.

But like I said...I hope I never find out.

Uh-huh.  And you have every right to disagree.  I hope you never find out either.  The strongest person/personality I have ever known in my life cracked and had a nervous breakdown right in front of me from the pressure of business and supporting his family.  Never in a million years would I have thought this possible.   The man was a rock.  Had he not had his family to support him who knows what would have happened. 

I had a lot of potential scenarios typed out about how it could happen but I don't even like writing them.  Having built up our company that supports our whole family from scratch I come from stock that feels as confident in our own ability to recover from anything as you do in yours, Dan.  My point is that something could happen to take that ability, or at least your confidence in that ability, away from you.  Either physical or mental.  I guess we'll have to leave it at that. 

2007-04-24 2:09 PM

User image

Regular
Cheney, WA
I give my money to "Street Performers" (even if they are bad).

I do not give my money to beggars.
New Thread
Other Resources My Cup of Joe » Giving Money to Homeless Rss Feed  

of 4