General Discussion Race Reports! » 10th ANNUAL BETTER LIFE 5K & 1-MILE FUN WALK Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

10th ANNUAL BETTER LIFE 5K & 1-MILE FUN WALK - Run5k

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Victor, New York
United States
Thompson Healthcare Foundation
65F / 18C
Sunny
Total Time = 22m 17s
Overall Rank = 34/172
Age Group = 30-34
Age Group Rank = 1/5
Pre-race routine:

Got up a little before 7 and made coffee. I usually don't like to drink coffee before a race, but decided it was a good idea this time, which it was. Showered, dressed, ate some raisin bran and drank some juice. Began drinking water before I left and as I drove to the race, which I think worked out well. I was so nervous this morning!!
Event warmup:

Got to the site at about 8:30, registered for the race, attached the #, went potty, and then found Dudley and met his family. Did a pretty good paced warm-up run with Dud and Sam and told him about some of my weird dream I had the night before about the race! Stretched. Found Ken and met his wife Connie while we were standing at the starting line. Began questioning for the umpteenth time why I do this stuff to myself! Saw the family a minute or two before the start to cheer me on!
Run
  • 22m 17s
  • 3.11 miles
  • 07m 10s  min/mile
Comments:

This wasn't the greatest race I've ever run feeling-wise, but I can't say it was bad because the results look good. My legs felt pretty tired and heavy most of the time and I never got into any sort of groove. I just kept willing myself along. I was the 2nd female for maybe the 1st mile, then women (3) began passing me. 2 of them had horrible form and it bothered me a little that they passed me, but I could tell by their pace that I wasn't going to be able to keep up, so I just sucked it up and tried to focus on what I had to do to keep moving.
What would you do differently?:

Nothing
Post race
Warm down:

Walked to get water and talked with the family. No real warm-down.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

My activity the few days prior to the race probably just made me tired in general, and my legs tired specifically. My mental state wasn't great either. I forgot my pick-me-up music at home, and I was just feeling out of it a little. I was a little more nervous than usual, I think since it was officially the first race of the season for me. Now that I have it out of the way, I should be good to go, right?! :)

Event comments:

My Weird Dream: I'm late waking up for the race, so, of course, I go take a bath rather than a shower. In the middle of the bath the bathroom catches on fire so I begin taking buckets of water from the tub and throwing it on the flames. I'm late for the race, so then I start one of those flying dreams where I'm literally flying through traffic and over bridges, through tunnels, etc. to get to the race. It was very elaborate. I hear the starting gun go off as I get there and see the runners go by in a big group. I try to run to get into the group, but I cannot AT ALL get my legs to move. It's like they were made of concrete. Once the runners are gone I wander through the streets of Victor, which are eerily empty, looking for some runners to catch up with. I just end up watching finishers come in in very strange ways....
Fast forward to some after-race party I'm having at my house with Ridgelake, Dexter, Kenj, marmadaddy and 2 or 3 other BT guys, but none of the guys are really those guys, even though in my dream they are. (They don't look remotely like what they look like in real life, but that's who they were anyway.) The funny part is that everyone keeps talking about how much weight dexter has lost (he was like an emaciated man) and kenj is some 6 foot tall 20 year old, and I don't even remember what Ridgelake looks like, but he's standing with me trying to convince me that these people really are the BT people, even though I keep saying "No they're not. That's not Dudley." and Ridgelake keeps insisting that it really is him.

Then I guess the alarm went off. But I haven't had such a vivid dream that I could remember for a very long time! Anybody want to analyze it?!?!

Last updated: 2007-04-25 12:00 AM
Running
00:22:17 | 03.11 miles | 07m 10s  min/mile
Age Group: 1/5
Overall: 34/172
Performance: Average
7:12 min first mile. I think I had a 7:04 min second mile.
Course: Begins fairly flat, turns left going south on School street which then turns into a hill that curves to the right and is pretty long, to a turn around point. Come back down a bit and turn right onto Dryer Road which is a combo of straight, and some up and down. Then left onto Maple which is pretty flat, some downhill at the beginning, to the finish line.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2007-04-29 9:53 PM

User image

Veteran
Rochester, NY
Subject: 10th ANNUAL BETTER LIFE 5K & 1-MILE FUN WALK

2007-04-30 4:30 AM
in reply to: #780854

User image

Pro
Canandaigua NY
Subject: RE: 10th ANNUAL BETTER LIFE 5K & 1-MILE FUN WALK

Great race Kam.  It was good to see you again!

6 foot, 20 year old? That sounds more like my dream!

2007-04-30 11:27 AM

User image

Master
Canandaigua

Kam,

What a race and what a dream.  Congrates on the first palce AG.  You had to try to keep up with me.  6 foot and 20y/o may help ken in the pool. 

2007-04-30 12:00 PM
in reply to: #781493

User image

Pro
Canandaigua NY
dexter - 2007-04-30 12:27 PM

6 foot and 20y/o may help ken in the pool. 

I doubt it, but I'll try anything.  Whats her name?
2007-04-30 3:00 PM

User image

Master
Rochester, NY
Interesting dream, Kameron! Definitely one to analyze

So I guess we're goign to have to start calling you Hardware Girl!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » 10th ANNUAL BETTER LIFE 5K & 1-MILE FUN WALK Rss Feed