Other Resources My Cup of Joe » Friend, more than friend, not a friend??? HELP! Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, the bear, DerekL, alicefoeller Reply

of 12

2007-04-30 10:33 AM

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.

2007-04-30 10:45 AM
in reply to: #781387

over a barrier
Subject: RE: Friend, more than friend, not a friend??? HELP!
You slammed the door in his face and you like him? Women I tell ya.....

Avoid any sort of "TALK" ....let your actions tell him you're interested..if he doesn't pick up on that then make your move and by move I don't mean slamming a door in his face

You're gonna need to push the pace because he already put himself out there once and that didn't work out for the guy...

2007-04-30 10:47 AM

Champion
The Green Between Philadelphia and Pittsburgh
Talk to Joe and tell him how you feel. Live your life with no regrets.
2007-04-30 10:47 AM

Extreme Veteran
Georgia
 t sounds like maybe you bruised his ego on the ski trip.  If you are good enough friends with him to go on a ski trip together and shop together, than you are close enough to call and check on him if he's not feeling well.  Then maybe you could invite him on another shopping exursion for other gear, or to lunch or something (maybe even have mutual friend come along).  Feel things out from that and then take a deep breath, maybe drink a few beers, and call or email him and tell him how you feel about him.  If things are already wierd, you might as well take the plunge.  Good luck! 
2007-04-30 10:48 AM
in reply to: #781406

Champion
South Jersey
Just ask him out already!!
2007-04-30 10:52 AM

Pro
Wow, women sometimes....

My first date with my wife went very well, and at the end of the night, the supposed moment of the first kiss, she fled.

I went home and wrote her off. She called almost as soon as I walked through the door to tell me she just freaked out and that her fleeing should not be misconstrued.

So, bottom line, since you slammed the door in his face and told him no, it's your move. Suck it up, buttercup.

2007-04-30 10:58 AM

Elite
West Chicago, IL
As we say down here in the South ... "Bless your heart."

I refuse to rate anyone on the dumbness scale as I'm hovering in the 10+ range at the moment, myself.

Let me see ... wondering how long it took him to work up his nerve to mention the goodnight kiss ... and just how damaged his ego was when the door got slammed in his face ... especially if you had been flirting back prior to that. My guess is ... pretty damaged. Anyone that I date aside, guys can be just as fragile as we are. Maybe his little heart got broken a little, too?

It's really hard when you conduct the entire relationship in your heads ... you didn't act this way because of that thing ... or you never act a certain way ... these are all things you know that he doesn't.

Considering how things are between you now ... what's the real harm in talking? Is it going to make it any worse? Maybe it'll make it alot better. Of course, I hate e-mail relationships because it's so easy to take things wrong. Kinda like giving advice on a forum ... heh heh heh.

Seriously, I know how these things can make one crazy. Me? If I were going to use e-mail, I'd keep it light and a little flirty ... rather than the "we need to talk" thing, which is horrifying for most people. Maybe something like ... You don't have any shopping to do, and the thermostat in your room is fine ... but there seems to be a serious malfunction in your whole saying goodnight process that you'd like to discuss with him. Give him your number and ask him to call.

Good luck with whatever you decide ... you HAVE to do what works for you.
2007-04-30 11:00 AM

2007-04-30 11:06 AM

Elite
West Chicago, IL
PS Men don't always take hints or indirect cues very well.

How about a note:

Dear Joe,

GOOD GUY LIST:
1. Joe's Name

I miss your company. We should do something about it.

Signed,
Mixed Signals

*giggle*

I know. It's not funny. Sorry.
2007-04-30 11:07 AM

Elite
Muskego, WI

Other than maybe just giving him a big ole kiss and saying I decided to take him up on his offer from the trip. HAHA!

I'm no mastermind, but this might just work.  Well, except for the laughing at the end, of course. 

2007-04-30 11:08 AM

Got Wahoo?
San Antonio

Wow.

He was humiliated and is probably doubting his own instincts. He was probably very excited about the ski trip and worked up his courage and wen't through about a thousand lines and ways to broach the topic. When he did, he may have felt like he had made a total fool of himeslf and that in all likelyhood caused him to be a little pissed at you for giving him clues and then with no explanation slammed the door. Were I in his shoes, the most insulting thing would be that we were frineds and you didn't respect him enough to explain your actions.

My advise? Come totally clean with him, and do it now. I realize you "do not do this type of thing," but you are selling yourself short and him as well. I disagree with letting your actions speek for you: if that had happend to me, I would write you off. If you came back and started "flirting" with me again, I would close the door immediately feeling like you were a tease, couldn't make up your mind, weren't honest with me or weren't honest with yourself - or all of the above, but I wouldn't deal with it.

Call him, write an e-mail if you have to or write it in the sky, but do it. Life is too short and you are over thinking it.

2007-04-30 11:13 AM

Elite
Muskego, WI

Call him, write an e-mail if you have to or write it in the sky, but do it. Life is too short and you are over thinking it.

Yes.

Also, make sure he knows this is from day one and not recent feelings.  Print out the entire story you told here if you want...it nails your feelings pretty well.  Tell him the ski trip he had you all atwitterpated and you know you acted like a buffoon.  If he hasn't written you off completely, that'll make him happy and away you go!

2007-04-30 11:13 AM
in reply to: #781438

Got Wahoo?
San Antonio

lvthgme - 2007-04-30 10:00 AM Oh yah...I forgot this part. AFTER the trip I decided I'd clearly screwed up and so I wrote him a little "thanks for a fun trip!" note. I said in the note how fun he made the trip and that he was an amazing man (b/c really, he is) and such. So basically his only comment about this note (that I felt was pretty clearly an "I like you" note) was "thanks for the note...glad I finally made the good guy list." GAAAA! I've tried to ACT more ... interested so I wouldn't HAVE to say anything but...lol...I'm so dumb I don't even know how to do THAT! He doesn't drink so there won't be any "let's grab a beer" situation. I can't play v-ball right now so there isn't any chance interact on the court...which is where I'm most comfortable. Haha. So I would love to avoid TALKING but...I guess I'm not sure how to do that...Other than maybe just giving him a big ole kiss and saying I decided to take him up on his offer from the trip. HAHA!

"good guy list" = friend zone.

He was making a comment that he knows he is not someone you want to be romantically involved with. Correct his misconception and forget all the other sly lines or half-baked "methods" of letting him know. Just tell him.

2007-04-30 11:15 AM
in reply to: #781438

Pro
lvthgme - 2007-04-30 12:00 PM

Oh yah...I forgot this part. AFTER the trip I decided I'd clearly screwed up and so I wrote him a little "thanks for a fun trip!" note. I said in the note how fun he made the trip and that he was an amazing man (b/c really, he is) and such. So basically his only comment about this note (that I felt was pretty clearly an "I like you" note) was "thanks for the note...glad I finally made the good guy list." GAAAA!

Sorry, but that follow up email probably made things worse. First you reject him, then you send him an email saying " I like you." I would interpret that as being "Sorry for rejecting you. I meant to reject you, but I am now worried about having hurt your feelings. So, you're nice, you're a friend, just make sure you stay 'just a friend'".
2007-04-30 11:20 AM

2007-04-30 11:23 AM

Master
West Jordan, UT

I'll make it easy for you.   Men are simple.  Tell him you can't stop thinking about him and you want him to ask you out on a date.   He will.  

As others have said, he felt he put in the perfect weekend and tried to end it by taking it to the next level.  It didn't work, so he has given up.   Now it is your move. 

2007-04-30 11:28 AM

Extreme Veteran
London
the short and sweet of it is this:

- the guy tried really hard, plucked up some serious courage and asked you for a kiss.
- you slammed the door in his face.
- bruised ego's abound. Self confidence will be down and he'll have shut you off as a non-starter / tease / read signals wrong
- you then wrote a letter saying thanks for the fun trip
- good guys = friends, end of.
- he's thinking he's got it wrong / messed it up and is now firmly in your "friends zone"

ok, how to fix this:
- you need to prove in no uncertain terms he's not in your "friends zone" but in the "oh my god, he's great! i want to date / kiss / marry / have kids with him!!!" zone.

to do this you're gonna have to go with something really obvious and unsubtle as us guys don't take hints at the best of time, however he's already thinking he's read you wrong already so won't trust any hints etc you throw his way. Think dog training - they're not that smart and work on praise.

from a guy's point of view, I'd say you're gonna have to do something like 1 Foot said or even better tkbslc's plan would definitely make the grade. SPELL IT OUT TO HIM!!

and then get back to us on how you got on
2007-04-30 11:39 AM
in reply to: #781476

2007-04-30 11:49 AM

Elite
Evans, GA

Put something slinky on head over to his house.  On second thought go naked with a ternchcoat.  Bring some kind of food he likes.  Give him a  kissee when he answers the door.

Just kidding. But really. Men are soooooo simple. Being nice to him is all it will take. BE HONEST!  He will understand.

2007-04-30 11:51 AM

Veteran
Raleigh, NC
Is this Junior High? Just go talk to him.

Maybe it's Monday but this seems to be made too complicated.
2007-04-30 12:00 PM

Regular
Cheney, WA
Call him.

But if you can't get yourself to do that then...

Copy/paste this in an email to Joe.

Joe,

I've noticed that our friendship has not been the same lately. I would like to apologize to you for shutting the door in your face the other day. I owe an explanation and I would like do that in person. So, if you could please meet me at your leisure, I would truly appreciate it. I would like to get things straightened out.

Sincerely,

yourname

Don't let your fears keep you lonely the rest of your life. All you have to do is click the "send" button in an email to get the ball rolling again. And when you meet him, just be honest.

P.S. We want updates when you get this resolved!!!!

Edited by ironman2010 2007-04-30 12:01 PM

2007-04-30 12:01 PM
in reply to: #781533

Elite
Evans, GA

watsonrm - 2007-04-30 11:51 AM Is this Junior High? Just go talk to him. Maybe it's Monday but this seems to be made too complicated.

x2

2007-04-30 12:04 PM
in reply to: #781494

Regular
Cheney, WA
Graycat - 2007-04-30 9:28 PM
to do this you're gonna have to go with something really obvious and unsubtle as us guys don't take hints at the best of time, however he's already thinking he's read you wrong already so won't trust any hints etc you throw his way. Think dog training - they're not that smart and work on praise.

from a guy's point of view, I'd say you're gonna have to do something like 1 Foot said or even better tkbslc's plan would definitely make the grade. SPELL IT OUT TO HIM!!

Amen Brother!!!!

Edited by ironman2010 2007-04-30 12:04 PM
2007-04-30 12:09 PM

Crystal Lake, IL

Sounds like this will make a cute story someday if you can get it together and go talk to him.  Like others have said, MEN ARE SIMPLE.   Talk to him in person.  Seek him out.  We respond well to physical contact.  And wear a camisole.  Save the peanut butter for the second date.

2007-04-30 12:13 PM
in reply to: #781487

Champion
Albuquerque, New Mexico
Bronze member
tkbslc - 2007-04-30 11:23 AM

I'll make it easy for you.   Men are simple.  Tell him you can't stop thinking about him and you want him to ask you out on a date.   He will.  

As others have said, he felt he put in the perfect weekend and tried to end it by taking it to the next level.  It didn't work, so he has given up.   Now it is your move. 

He already took a risk, got shot down.  The next risk is yours!  ASK HIM OUT. 

New Thread
Other Resources My Cup of Joe » Friend, more than friend, not a friend??? HELP! Rss Feed  

of 12