The Community Associations of The Woodlands
85F / 29C
Overcast
Total Time = 1h 33m 35s
Overall Rank = 389/669
Age Group = M25-29
Age Group Rank = 26/34
Pre-race routine:

Had to walk about a mile through mud to get to Transition.. overpacked my bag and had to carry my bike, so by the time i got there i felt like i already had gotten a good workout!
Event warmup:

jogged about 1/4 mile but my wave was 2nd to last so that was a wasted effort.
Swim
  • 13m 31s
  • 500 meters
  • 02m 42s / 100 meters
Comments:

Swim was horrible... very very very bad. We had to tread water for a bit before the start and nothing went right. It was a narrow swim area so lots of feet and arms - one guy swam OVER me and gave me a nice shot/shove... i would bet that he will have a nice bruise on his right thigh for that cheap shot he gave me. Caught some serious water in the mouth on a couple of breathing attempts and lost momentum. I had to slow way back and recompose myself... back half of the swim felt good, but the first 200m were the worst i have experienced.
What would you do differently?:

Need to get more comfortable in a crowd and swim more in the open water.
Transition 1
  • 03m 48s
Comments:

My bike tag was blowing in the wind and was scarping my leg, o Ipulled it off and kept it in my shirt... good thing because i needed it to get my bike after the race.

T1 was good, had a hard time with the gloves and shirt though.. damn velcro on the gloves and it was so humis it was hard to put on a shirt wet.

Not much... just happy that there was air in my bike tires!
Bike
  • 47m 5s
  • 15 miles
  • 19.12 mile/hr
Comments:

Man this course was fast. Top place in our age group avergaed 27mph! I gave it all I had, left it all out there...including my water bottle, and the water bottle that they attempted to hand me. Call me STONEHANDS! I was very happy with my times here. I pushed hard and did better then my goal of 18.5mph average.

Drink more fluids and not drop water bottles! Ran this about as good as I could have. Need to get some aero bars for the next race though!
Transition 2
  • 02m 6s
Comments:

Didin't forget my race belt! who-hoo!
Run
  • 27m 2s
  • 3.2 miles
  • 08m 27s  min/mile
Comments:

Legs felt good off the bike and I gave it all I had here. un came out towards the end, thankful we had clouds for the first part because it got hot in a hurry. Very happy with the run.
Post race
Warm down:

Drank a Tecate for cinco de mayo!

What limited your ability to perform faster:

THE SWIM WAS THE WORST I HAVE EVER EXPERIENCED! All ina ll, I knew that my training was behind so I was not in OPTIMAL shape for this race. ALl week I tried to shock my body into feeling like I as ready. My main goal was to exert everything I had so I can no what my body feels like at its limits. I feel I did this so I am happy even if the times aren't earth shaterring. The swim was a real mental challenge as I felt beaten from the start. Apparently a handful of people DNF fro our age group after the swim start. It was really hectic in there!

Event comments:

The long walk was a pain because it was so muddy, but they can't control the weather. Also I heard there were some nasty spills at the bike dismount area... some injured folks out there. Mayb more volunteer letting us know the end is near... it did kind of sneak up on us because it was right after a turn.

Last updated: 2007-02-18 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:13:31 | 500 meters | 02m 42s / 100meters
Age Group: 30/34
Overall: 429/669
Performance: Bad
Suit: Nope
Course: A few left turns and back to shore.
Start type: Wade Plus:
Water temp: 75F / 24C Current: Low
200M Perf. Bad Remainder: Average
Breathing: Below average Drafting: Below average
Waves: Navigation: Average
Rounding: Average
T1
Time: 03:48
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Average Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Below average
Biking
00:47:05 | 15 miles | 19.12 mile/hr
Age Group: 21/34
Overall: 357/669
Performance: Good
Wind: Little
Course: All around, lots of fast turns. Trees guarded you from the wind so it was a FAST course.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Average Hills:
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Not enough
T2
Time: 02:06
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:27:02 | 03.2 miles | 08m 27s  min/mile
Age Group: 21/34
Overall: 311/669
Performance: Good
Course: All around the woodlands.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2007-05-05 12:10 PM

User image

Oakville, ON
Subject: CB&I Tri - The Woodlands

2007-05-05 12:40 PM
in reply to: #789827

User image

Pro
Sous Mon Diadème
Subject: RE: CB&I Tri - The Woodlands

YAY Jeff!!!  Great job, particularly given your crazy travel schedule and the doc's limitations for you last week.  Rock on, VC

2007-05-05 4:23 PM

Veteran
WAY TO GO! Nevermind the swim, ya gotta feel great about the bike and run! You can ask Regina about getting swam over - she's been there, done that. I can really freak you out, but you pulled yourself together and didn't let the swim ruin your bike and run. Speaking of run, that was a strong showing! I hope you're pleased with your performance. Enjoy the rest of the weekend, but get ready to get back to work - many challenges await! Again, congrats! ~ Joe
2007-05-05 4:48 PM

User image

Master
Finally north of the Mason-Dixon Line
Good race, still waiting for them to post the results so I can do my report - how'd you get it so fast?... the mud walk about sums up the pre-workout.

Good job!
2007-05-05 5:37 PM

User image

Regular
Katy, TX
Nice job!!! I had a bad swim too...given that I had done this before (once), I thought I was ready, but man, I went out way too fast. I'm just glad I didn't have the problem you had.

BTW - runnertriathletenews.com has the results, I haven't seen it on the main website yet.
2007-05-06 9:20 PM

I am *SO* proud of you! Yep - the swimming over...been there. It sucks. Effs with your head for the rest of the swim. I actually cried (I know - crazy) because it freaked me out so bad. (Check out my Danskin log from a year ago.) BUT - I sure as heck didn't come back from it and do over 19mph on the bike and less than 8.5 min miles on the run! You kicked A$$!!! Congratulations! You did so awesome and your health conditions/training conditions last couple of weeks have not even been prime. You are *SO* on your way to that 1/2 as a STRONG triathlete. Body where it needs to be, head where it needs to be (and this time, you even kept your butt where it needed to be .) Way to GOOOO!! OOO ~Reji

2007-05-06 9:45 PM

Oh! And one other you'll have a new appreciation for after that rough swim start! Check this out and get a good "knowing" laugh out of it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r3S0wu4Zbfk
2007-05-07 2:47 PM

User image

Veteran
Dallas, TX

Great job Jeff!  Too bad we didnt meet up.  I looked for you guys pre-race, but just never saw yall.  BTW I'm pretty sure I saw your water bottle(s) on the bike!  I made a mental note to myself that I was glad that wasnt me Wink

2007-05-10 4:33 PM
in reply to: #790793

User image

Brilliant!! The video I mean I need to go and train there!!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » CB&I Tri - The Woodlands Rss Feed