General Discussion Triathlon Talk » is it legal to use an albuterol inhaler? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2007-05-08 8:24 AM
in reply to: #790440

User image

Expert
Charlottesville, VA
Subject: RE: is it legal to use an albuterol inhaler?
Good summation, Kat.

And for those of you who may suffer from asthma, a nice endorsement of anti-inflammatory drugs like Advair -- they are extremely effective in managing asthma (at least for me).

Pharma commercial completed.

2007-05-08 8:35 AM
in reply to: #792654

User image

Expert
Muncie, IN
kenail - 2007-05-08 9:24 AM

Good summation, Kat.

And for those of you who may suffer from asthma, a nice endorsement of anti-inflammatory drugs like Advair -- they are extremely effective in managing asthma (at least for me).

Pharma commercial completed.

Although it's about making me go broke!!! It's worth every penny but I just had it re-filled for 90 days and it cost me $409..gotta love the high deductible HSA insurance plans! But, again yes it is the real deal!!!
2007-05-08 2:33 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Ontario

This is slightly off topic. About a year ago I was diagnosed with possible exercise induced asthma, and the doctor had me try albuterol. I tried it 2 or 3 times before my first triathlon of the spring and did not notice any effect at all. I then used it just before my first triathlon of the year and had a terrible race. Dizziness, tremors, confusion, and the second half of the race was pretty much just a blur. It was not very hot, I was not dehydrated, and I did not over-exert, so I tend to blame the albuterol. My symptoms were fairly consistent with some of the listed side effects of the drug. So, if you are just starting with albuterol, or if you use albuterol and are just starting with triathlon, you want to use it before some mild training sessions to test your reaction.

Dave

2007-05-28 7:17 PM

User image

Royal(PITA)
West Chester, Ohio
interesting thread. My insurance forced me to switch from Asmanex (where my peak flows ran 650-750) to Pulmicort and an average peak flow of 550 (which is still acceptable range for a woman my height.) My rescue inhaler is Atrovent as the beta-agonists made my symptoms worse (or so my allergist said after doing PFT's pre and post nebulizer with Albuterol). I have used my resucue inhaler more for swim practice than anything else so using it prior to my race and keeping it on the transition area sounds like a good idea. Breathing isn't optional so this kid's sticking with the inhalers
2015-02-19 8:25 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

I also use an inhaler and have for a significant number of years. Although one possible side effect of albuterol salbutamol is an elevated heart rate, I seldom have that issue. My heart rate stays approximately the same with equivalent effort whether I have used albuterol or not.

Two recommendations that may help, though. Suggested dosage is often 2x 90mcg about 1 minute apart. 1x 90mcg might be enough to minimize bronchial constriction and minimize side effects. Also, use the inhaler 15+ minutes before exercise. The only time I do seem to have an elevated heart rate is using the recommended 2x dose right before (30 seconds) I start exercising with a high heart rate.

Of course, everyone has slightly different reactions to the medication, but I imagine you will find significant improvement from that "I'm 20 feet below water level and the pressure just won't let me breathe I'm going to suffocate" feeling while pushing a max anaerobic effort.

Edited by Thenin 2015-02-19 8:31 AM
2015-02-19 9:26 AM
in reply to: Thenin

User image

Exton, PA
Originally posted by Thenin

I also use an inhaler and have for a significant number of years. Although one possible side effect of albuterol salbutamol is an elevated heart rate, I seldom have that issue. My heart rate stays approximately the same with equivalent effort whether I have used albuterol or not.

Two recommendations that may help, though. Suggested dosage is often 2x 90mcg about 1 minute apart. 1x 90mcg might be enough to minimize bronchial constriction and minimize side effects. Also, use the inhaler 15+ minutes before exercise. The only time I do seem to have an elevated heart rate is using the recommended 2x dose right before (30 seconds) I start exercising with a high heart rate.

Of course, everyone has slightly different reactions to the medication, but I imagine you will find significant improvement from that "I'm 20 feet below water level and the pressure just won't let me breathe I'm going to suffocate" feeling while pushing a max anaerobic effort.

You are responding to a thread that is 8 years old!

2015-02-19 9:31 AM
in reply to: mike761

User image

, North Carolina

(marty-i-think-we-are-back-to-the-old-thread.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
marty-i-think-we-are-back-to-the-old-thread.jpg (33KB - 2 downloads)
2015-02-19 11:23 AM
in reply to: Nick B

User image

Pro
Vancouver, BC

Well now that we are back to it. I used an inhaler for the first time on Tuesday. Actually it was the second time, but the first time 2 weeks ago was a placebo. I'm participating in a graduate students study for the effects of asthma medication on cyclists. I don't have asthma. Holy crap. It was supposed to be a blind study, but I knew within a few minutes of taking the drug that I had gotten it. My resting heart rate rose to 145. I was still able to exercise and complete the test normally, but it wasn't a maximal effort. I have no idea what my numbers are and if they improved, but I won't be taking asthma medication any time soon. I couldn't sleep because for at least 8 hours afterward I had an elevated heart rate and I was so shaky I couldn't type.

2015-02-19 1:52 PM
in reply to: mike761

User image

Hi Mike, honesty speaking i fund this thread by case in Google, i didn't even pay attention to the date. The only thing i saw is that it has to do with me and that i have a word to say on that. I'm sorry for being out of date Have a good day!
2015-02-20 11:29 PM
in reply to: Z-dog

User image

Veteran
Great White North
Originally posted by Z-dog

Any Pro's in this thread? I didn't think so. I can't find anything regarding use of inhalers in USAT's rule book, and could care less what the Frenchies have to say about anything related to biking!

Check your National Antidoping body. USADA if in the US. CCES for Canada.

TUE for asthma meds is relatively easy to obtain.
2015-02-21 6:52 AM
in reply to: lemerson

User image

Extreme Veteran
Cypress, TX

Albuterol only requires a TUE for very high level doses which would not apply to people using it as a rescue inhaler for asthma.

http://www.usada.org/substances/prohibited-list/athlete-guide-2015-prohibited-list/

S3. Beta-2 Agonists

All oral (taken by mouth and swallowed) or injected beta-2 agonists are prohibited.

Inhaled beta-2 agonists are prohibited and require a therapeutic use exemption (TUE), except for albuterol (also called salbutamol) dosages under 1600 micrograms/24 hours, formoterol dosages less than 54 micrograms/24 hours, and salmeterol when taken according to manufacturer’s instructions. If you use more than the amounts listed in the table below, you are required to submit a TUE for use. Search GlobalDRO.com to determine if the inhaler that you are using contains a substance that requires a TUE for use in sport. Here are some examples:

Inhaler Brands and Strengths

Recommended Dosing by Manufacturer

WADA Maximum doses per 24 hours (do not exceed)

Advair Diskus 100/50, 250/50, or 500/50

Each have salmeterol 50mcg per puff

1 puff twice each day (100 mcg)

Take as directed by the drug manufacturer

Advair HFA 45/21, 115/21, or 230/21

Each has salmeterol 21 mcg per puff

2 puffs twice each day (84 mcg)

Albuterol 90mcg per puff

1-2 puffs every 4 hours as needed for wheezing

Salbutamol 90 mcg per puff:

17 puffs a day (<1600 mcg)

Dulera 100mcg/5mcg per puff or

200mcg/5mcg per puff

2 puffs twice each day (20 mcg)

Formoterol 5 mcg per puff:

10 puffs a day (<54 mcg)

ProAir (albuterol) 108 mcg/puff

Salbutamol 108 mcg per puff: 14 puffs a day (<1600 mcg)

Proventil (albuterol) 108 mcg/puff

Salbutamol 108 mcg per puff: 14 puffs a day (<1600 mcg)

Serevent Diskus 50 mcg per puff

1 puff twice each day (100 mcg)

Advisory:

• The dosage of albuterol or formoterol that may be used in sport without a TUE may translate into a different range of “puffs.” You should examine your inhaler closely to determine the dosage. You must apply for a TUE if you need to take more than the permitted dosage. See the chart above for examples.
  • Some dietary supplements claim to contain ingredients that have beta-2 agonist activity such as norcoclaurine. It is not known whether such products actually contain these ingredients, but USADA considers such products to be high risk.

• The dosage of albuterol or formoterol that may be used in sport without a TUE may translate into a wide range of “puffs.” You should examine your inhaler closely to determine the dosage. You must apply for a TUE if you need to take more than the non-prohibited dosage.
  • Albuterol (urine amount over 1000 ng/mL) and formoterol (urine amount over 40 ng/mL) are “threshold substances”, which means they may be used in sport without a TUE as long as they are used under a certain threshold . However, if you also take a substance that falls into the category of Diuretics and Masking Agents you need to have a TUE for albuterol or formoterol even if you already have a TUE for the diuretic or masking agent.
  • The presence of albuterol in urine in excess of 1000ng/mL is presumed NOT to be an intended therapeutic use, and may be considered as an adverse analytical finding, possibly leading to a sanction.
  • Use of oral beta-2 agonists are prohibited even if you have a TUE for the same inhaled beta-2 agonist. If your doctor prescribes an oral beta-2 agonist, you should submit an application for a TUE.
  • Some inhalers have more than one active ingredient. Make sure you check all the ingredients on GlobalDRO.com.

2015-02-23 12:00 PM
in reply to: GMAN 19030

User image

Pro
Vancouver, BC

Originally posted by GMAN 19030

Albuterol only requires a TUE for very high level doses which would not apply to people using it as a rescue inhaler for asthma.

http://www.usada.org/substances/prohibited-list/athlete-guide-2015-prohibited-list/

S3. Beta-2 Agonists

Inhaler Brands and Strengths

Recommended Dosing by Manufacturer

WADA Maximum doses per 24 hours (do not exceed)

Albuterol 90mcg per puff

Salbutamol 90 mcg per puff:

17 puffs a day (

I took that one ^^^ 16 puffs to stay under the limit.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » is it legal to use an albuterol inhaler? Rss Feed  

of 2