General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Trainer/coach/group, SF East Bay? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2004-09-10 1:53 PM

User image

Regular
Pleasanton, CA
Subject: Trainer/coach/group, SF East Bay?
Thought I'd put a message up for anyone interested in training rides/runs/swims in the SF East Bay area. Send me a message if anyone is interested. I've been getting bored with my solo rides lately. :-)

2004-09-13 9:45 PM
in reply to: #60059

User image

Elite
Bay Area, CA
Subject: RE: Trainer/coach/group, SF East Bay?
What it depends on is how fast you are. Do you have some idea of how fast/far you want to go?

We (the N. Cal people) are getting together for a big training weekend down at Lake San Antonio the over 10/16. Check out that thread if you think you might be interested.

There's a group that runs out of Transition Sports in Oakland - they have a Yahoo Group, if you are interested in that. It's not really that organized, but you can post if you are doing a workout, or jump onto someone else's. They've got a couple of scheduled things. http://www.transitionsports.com I think. Let me know if you need the Yahoo Group, I can get you that as well.
2004-09-14 1:00 AM
in reply to: #60059

User image

Master
Sonoma County, CA
Tony,

A good friend of mine lives out in your area (kinda sorta in a way)...he's in Concord....but has family in Alamo (see? that's a tad closer). (east bay is my old stomping ground)
anywho, if you're interested I'll PM you with his email and even do an email intro. He's a pretty avid mtn biker who, as he informed me last week, has gone to the dark side and purchased an "elitist" road bike (he used to ride road up until a few years ago).....very cool guy, very active, very patient ( i.e. if you're fast he'll keep up with you, if you're slow, he's very patient and good natured..as evidenced by the fact that he actually made me think I could keep with him when we road China Camp)

Give me a shout and let me know...and think about the Mock tri trip in october...we're going to be preparing for Wildflower in May!

Edited by crpadiem 2004-09-14 1:01 AM
2004-09-14 11:21 AM
in reply to: #61168

User image

Regular
Pleasanton, CA
Thanks Shellee for the Transition Sports info. I've seen their website but now I'll check into their Yahoo group.

I normally ride at lunch 3 times/week for 45 minutes at ~20mph average. Sunday mornings I'll ride for 1-2 hours and average about 18mph. My lunch rides are typically half flat (and fast) and half hilly, Sunday rides are rolling hills.

Can't make the 10/16 training but perhaps sometime in the future. Wildflower is one of my goals but probably not next year because of work travel. :-(
2004-09-14 11:26 AM
in reply to: #61231

User image

Regular
Pleasanton, CA
If you think I can keep up with your friend then I'd be interested. I'd struggle on steep climbs such as China Camp.

Are you preparing for int'l or long course at Wildflower?
2004-09-15 12:16 AM
in reply to: #61361

User image

Elite
Bay Area, CA
If you can ride that fast (i.e. 20 mph ) which is something that I (frankly) can only dream of - seriously get on the Yahoo Group for Transition Sports. I'm a member of the club, a very slow member, but there are some really wicked fast people on there - who you could hook up with. This is the best club I've found in the East Bay as far as members, etc. Like I said, there are some "club" events, but not really all that organized. Mostly, it's someone posting what they want to do for the workout and others jumping on.

The store itself is very nice too and if you decide to join the Transition Sports Tri Club you get a member discount on everything.

Hmmm... there's usually someone riding or running long on the weekends. If you don't want to go that far, just start out with them, and then see how long you can hang on. Seriously. Usually, the deal is that someone will post what they want to do for training, others will say, yeah, I'm up for that, they'll set up a meeting time and place and go for it. If you're new, just say so, ask for directions, etc. Someone will give them to you along with (possibly) a cell number to call if you're not sure where to go.

PS - Make sure you pay attention to how you got where you are (or carry a map) as if you get dropped you'll have to make your own way back.

2004-09-21 1:01 AM
in reply to: #61797

User image

Regular
Pleasanton, CA
cadreamer,

just wanted to let you know that I joined the Transition Sports Yahoo group you mentioned. It might take me a week or so to check out the schedules. Do they post daily?

Thanks for the info.
2004-09-25 12:25 AM
in reply to: #64461

User image

Elite
Bay Area, CA
Like I said, it's not all that organized. There's a couple of scheduled events, but mostly it's just the members posting what they want to do and others joining in. Hang out on the group for a bit, you'll see what I mean.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Trainer/coach/group, SF East Bay? Rss Feed