General Discussion Triathlon Talk » First real open water training swim. Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2004-09-12 1:21 AM

User image

Elite
San Diego
Subject: First real open water training swim.
Today I met with Mikey1000 (Michael) and a buddy of mine, Ira for a swim in La Jolla cove. I swore I would never swim there because of the whole "shark thing", but I felt a little pressure since it seemed like every BTer from SD was going to be there except me, so I went.
When I arrived at 6:30 it was still a little dark out and that didn't help at all. I walked to where we were meeting and I met Michael. The thought of looking and swimming like a wounded seal didn't help settle me down but I knew then I couldn't back out of the swim. At first I thought " at least there are lifegaurds here" but then it was pointed out that they don't get here until 9:00. That was bad but the worse part was there was a woman who was trying to get another family to swim. She said "look at those guys in their black wetsuits. They look like seals. Don't swim near them and you'll be fine". That sucked! I wanted to head up to my car but Ira and Michael started towards the water, so I followed. We got down to the water and decided to go only to the 1/4 mile bouy, then regroup and head back. I got in, started to swim and got about 5 feet into the swim before I saw my first fish, a gharibaldi(sp?)! It was awesome yet scarey at the same time. I wanted to watch it but I couldn't. It fascinated me and freaked me out at the same time. Then I swam into a schoool of really small fish. They stayed just out of arms reach for about a minute or so. That was cool, then just like that...they were gone! Then all sorts of thoughts went into my head. Do they know something I don't know! Then I decided to look for Ira and Michael. Nothing, no one! I could see them. My heart about jumped out of my chest. It was like something from the movie "Open Water" I have never been so scared. Then I spun around and saw Ira about 20 ft behind me and to the left and Michael was off to the right. I relaxed a little but was so sketchy the rest of the swim. I swam to the bouy then waited for them. But I didn't know how close to get. Do I go TO the bouy or just near the bouy? What if the sharks wait there for tired seals? I didn't know, so I stopped about 15 feet away (like the sharks wouldn't swim that far to get me). Finally Ira and Michael got there and we (they) decide to swim another 3 minutes out then head back. Reluctantly I agreed. I swam right next to Ira the whole time until he pulled up and said those magical words "that was 3 minutes, let's head back" Man, I was so happy. I put my head down and powered all the way back to shore. I wanted to check to see where Ira and Michael were, but I figured "Every man for himself. I don't have to outswim the sharks, I just have to outswim my swimming buddies". Once I got back to shore I felt like I had just won the lottery. What a feeling. Such relief.
I know a lot of you BTers swim in open water all the time, but for this city dwelling landlubber this was a big deal! I really want to thank Mickey1000 for dragging me out there. I hope I didn't whine too much. I don't know that I will ever be very comfortable out there, but I will definitely do it again.
Thanks for reading
Take care
Tom

2004-09-12 2:05 AM
in reply to: #60350

No. County San Diego
Subject: RE: First real open water training swim.
A friend and I will be going out there on Friday...and I swear that reading your post just reiterated all of my fears! Those fish swimming around me...what if one latches on and sucks on my face...yikes! The wetsuits making you look like seals (or shark bait)...Okay I'm really freaking out now!
2004-09-12 6:59 AM

User image

molto veloce mama
glad it went well. never thought about it this way before, but i suppose being nervous in open water could be a real asset - might be nervous on the way out, but you'll make awesome time on the way back in to shore! seriously though, congrats on doing it. several of us who swim in open water all the time aren't swimming in the big blue.
2004-09-12 8:12 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Manitoba, Canada

madcow - 2004-09-12 12:21 AM Then I swam into a schoool of really small fish. They stayed just out of arms reach for about a minute or so. That was cool, then just like that...they were gone! Then all sorts of thoughts went into my head. Do they know something I don't know!

I love a chuckle first thing in the morning - well told story Tom. And well done on beating the fear.

2004-09-12 8:25 AM

Veteran
Albury, Oz
Oh yeah...those little silver fish scatter when predators are around...but it is usually only whales they are scared of ;-) I could feel your fear as I have had an almost identical thing happen to me...ok I was in a lake and there are not too many lake sharks around but that realisation that you are suddenly alone :-( :-( You did much better than me by keeping on going. I bailed out the instant I realised my so-called support group had disappeared without a second thought as to where I was. Next time make sure you don't shave before the swim.....sharks can detect the tiniest amount of blood from miles away (dum dum dum dum da de dum) (Jaws music). Best strategy of all is making sure there are plenty of others around that look tastier than you ;-) Try basting your fellow swimmers with fish oil first Dx
2004-09-12 9:59 AM

User image

Master
Mechanicsburg, PA
madcow - 2004-09-12 1:21 AM
I don't have to outswim the sharks, I just have to outswim my swimming buddies

Tom, I wouldn't worry about open water swimming too much, it looks like you have a grasp on the most important rule of open water swimming, "take a slower buddy" And if he's not slow enough, take his mask. To be honest with you, the fish probably scooted because of you. Sharks aren't the only fish with lateral lines to pick up movement (actually, all schooling fish and also birds that fly in formation have them). So when one fish swims off, any other fish close by follow right along. 80% of sharks are too small to try and eat a person and they tend to be quite put off my all of the noise we make when we are in the water (they're really not as curious as people think they are - barracuda on the other hand...), the downside is that they don't have opposable thumbs, so they use their teeth when they 'meet and greet' - or is that 'meat and eat?'

Yesterday I did and openwater swim at the lake I usually dive at and it is amazing how cold, naked and alone you feel 300 yards from the dock, with turtles, lake piranhas (blue gills) and the ocasional ghostly looking submerged tree gliding by underneath you. Especially when you've been under the water and know that the next stop down is 105' below you... I need to get a wetsuit next year. Actually, maybe we can talk the manufacturers into making a countershaded suit - like a shark. White front, blue back... I think I might be onto something............ $$$$

-Frank

2004-09-12 10:27 AM

User image

Expert
Durham, CA
Tom,
Nice work on getting past your issues with open water. I went abalone diving with a friend a couple of weeks ago off Ft. Bragg, and I had the same concerns/fears. Everyone told me to relax, that there aren't sharks big enough at Ft. Bragg to hurt you, etc.

Next day when we read the newspaper an experianced diver about 10 miles away from where we were diving met up with a shark with very bad results.

The way that I am looking at this is that, if it is your time, so be it... We are probably much more likely to get whacked by a grey haired lady in a cadillac while biking or running or driving to work, than encountering the occasional hungry shark.

Now, If I can ever get my mileage up to where I can do the distance, I would like to (at least once) do the Alcatraz swim. Of course, like you, I want to make sure that I am middle of the pack, just in case.....

Congrats on the swim,

Dennis

2004-09-12 12:51 PM

User image

Expert
England

As an openwater virgin, I bow down to you. I am VERY nervous about my first o/w swims which will be next spring now, so for you to conquer your fear is very inspiring. My swims will be in lakes but I just dont fancy that weed on my face and all the cr&p that gets in your mouth etc and not to mention just seeing an inky blackness around me! 

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » First real open water training swim. Rss Feed