General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Average monthly grocery bill? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 3

2007-05-17 3:20 PM
in reply to: #803952

Veteran
Subject: RE: Average monthly grocery bill?
my wife and I spend about $500 per month on groceries, including non-food items. We easily spend another $200 per month on lunches and restaurant or take-out food. This includes my training fuel and my wife doesn't have specific training food. However, this doesn't include her daily starbucks visit.

2007-05-17 3:23 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Ottawa, Ontario

My family of four is spending over $200 per week on groceries.  With respect to the original poster - I remember being shocked at the price of some grocery items when I moved temporarily to Vancouver.  Could Calgary have similar inflated grocery costs?  If so, then $950 a month would be possible if purchasing a lot of prepared foods.

2007-05-17 3:35 PM

Extreme Veteran
I do buy store brands as much as possible. Things like milk, cereals, vegetables and fruits add up!!!  I am a stay home Mom and I joke (not really) that I will have to go back to work soon so I can strictly pay the food bill!!! 
2007-05-17 3:51 PM

User image

Champion
Dallas, TX
Well, I budget $600 a month. This does not include any shot blocks that I buy, or Hydrade. It should include eating out though.

I probably spend closer to $700 a month... and that's ONLY FOR ME- a 5'4", 125 pound girl.
2007-05-17 4:21 PM
in reply to: #805194

User image

Mountain View, CA
lobstergirl - 2007-05-17 2:01 PM

There was a feature article in the New York Times a few weeks ago about a city official (mayor?) in Seattle (or was it Portland?) that lived on $3/day, to show that you can (though not easily) live within the food stamps budget for that area. I remember looking at his grocery list - lots of canned goods, beans, pantry stuff, and some milk. Boring, but sort of inspiring to me that you could save that much money.

Four members of Congress are doing that right now. It's being blogged here. I tried living on $30/week a few months ago... I couldn't do it. I mean, I could, and did, but I was stressed out, perpetually hungry, and consequently cranky, unfocused at work, weak in my workouts, etc. I can't imagine doing it on $21/week, week after week after week.

My monthly food spending varies, but tends to be between $450 and $650. That's just for me (5'11", ~165 lbs, training for HIM & marathon), and includes sports nutrition (gels, etc.) and eating out ($10-15/wk). I make most things from scratch, pack a lunch for work, etc. I buy organic/free-range as often as I can afford to, but I also buy some store-brand items like pasta, rice, butter (LOVE the in-house organic line). When I eat meat it's almost always chicken, very rarely beef.
2007-05-17 4:36 PM

User image

Champion
Evergreen, Colorado

I also keep track of every penny I spend.  My groceries and "going out" food add up to maybe $400 to $500 per month.  I would say about $300 of that is food and the occasional lunch out while the other $100-$200 is dinners out (including  beer).  Oddly enough, I budget dinners out under "entertainment/going out" vs. under "food".  And I budget sports nutrition under "Tri Gear".  My "Tri Gear" budget for a month is scary since it includes coach, sports nutrition, massage/acupuncture, and any gear/race/travel fees.  But I digress.

So, about $300-$350 for groceries.  I make my lunch 95% of the time (gotta love having NO places to eat out around your work...that helps).  I do eat a lot of whole foods and can be picky about buying organic.  BUT...I'm in the military and can shop at the commissary.  And the commissary is getting better about stocking organic stuff.  Their produce is hit or miss though.  Sometimes it's GREAT.  Other times it's scary.  So I usually go to the local Safeway for produce and "I just need one thing's".

I made an observation from alot of the above posters that the bill for a couple isn't much bigger than the bill for a single person.  I know that I end up having a lot of food go bad on me.  No matter how much I think I'm getting just enough...you can't buy "half a package" of some things and stuff just goes bad.  Well, that and my job likes to send me out of town on a moment's notice--that doesn't help.   Does anyone else agree that single people end up wasting quite a bit of food?

I have to agree with several posters that nearly $1k for two people seems WAY excessive.  I have expensive taste and I can't even come close to that figure.

2007-05-17 4:55 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Iceland

For someone not living in the States or Canada this is really interesting to read!

Here in Iceland everything is about 3 times as expensive as in the States (e.g. one BIC MAC at MCDonalds costs 10$) and me and my husband we spent around 800-1000$ in groceries (plus other neccesities) a month.

But we hardly ever eat out (too expensive) and only get take-out food maybe 1-2 a month. We always take our own lunch (or for me dinner) to work.

We usually eat meat every day but chicken only 1-2 a week as it is freaking expensive (1 pound is about 12-15$ if its on sale).

Sure good to see that even in the States some spend close to the amount what we spend

2007-05-17 5:44 PM

Coeur d'Alene, ID
Does anyone else agree that single people end up wasting quite a bit of food?

Unless I purposely concentrate on finishing something, I count on half my food going bad. I regularly have to toss out eggs and milk. I don't even bother with bread anymore, I won't get through more than a few slices before it molds. Meats aren't packaged for one person. I like a pot roast, but I don't want it everyday for a week. If I don't separate it into individual servings before I freeze it, it's wasted. And some things you just can't separate.

So yes, I agree.
2007-05-17 8:00 PM

User image

Expert
Littleton, CO

ON RANT: Did I just read that " I GIVE my wife $200/week for food and she needs more"?   I might just break my foot off if I had to ASK my hubby for money to buy food for OUR family. (OFF RANT)

As for us, we spend $800 on a family of 4 and that includes diapers for 1.  We go to Wild Oats frequently and buy mostly organic for the kids.  The farmer's market might add another $60/month. We are also vegetarian, which you would think would be cheaper, but turns out to be more expensive because of all the fresh produce, weird fake soy products, and gourmet ingredients required to make the recipes taste good.

2007-05-18 12:59 AM

User image

A very cool place in Colorado :)

I'm a sinlge mom with 2 little ones (2, 4). My budget only allows for $400, including non-food items and IT IS HARD!!!! I feel like I'm always hungry because it's not enough to feed my training appetite AND the kids   I used to not be very conscious of my budget and would estimate and say "oh I spend about this much on this...", but quickly learned I was always WAAAAY off when it came down to it. So I wonder if some of the posters would be surprised if they actually tracked thier receipts to see if they were right? Some of these really low numbers are hard to imagine, and I'm a very conscious shopper! I only say this because I personally was shocked once I sat down and wrote everything down and tracked it with Quicken - I believe it's all the little things and unplanned trips to the store that add up and bite'cha in the bee-hind.

Ofcourse, maybe it would be easier if my youngest didn't eat as much as A FREAKIN' ADULT!! She's 2 and only ways 20 pounds but will eat a large bowl of cereal, some fruit and half a bagel for breakfast. And then be hungry again in 2 hours..... Where in the hell she puts it all, I have no idea 

2007-05-18 6:20 AM

User image

Master
Malvern, PA

When I said I "give" it to her I meant I hand it to her... literally...

I'm the bill-payer in the family and we ration out specific amounts for everything and I'm literally the one that stops at the ATM on Thursday afternoon, gets the $$$ and hands it to her...

I guess the way I wrote it sounded a little chauvinistic...

Edited by maxmattmick 2007-05-18 6:21 AM

2007-05-18 8:24 AM

User image

Expert
Littleton, CO
Sorry to jump to conclusions...I was a bit b1tchy about that...glad to hear that your wife doesn't have to beg for money to buy food!
2007-05-18 8:36 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Cincinnati
My wife and I have made quite a hobby obsession out of saving money at the grocery store. For our family of 5 we probably spend about $500 - $600 month on groceries (including non-grocery items like diapers/toothpaste, etc.)

We do a lot of what others do, including...

-almost never buy a name brand unless it is on sale and we have a coupon. There are a couple of items where the store brand is not as good as the original (oreos and cheerios come to mind) but usually there is no noticable difference.

- plan menus and shopping lists on Sunday based on the stores' weekly circulars

-- pantry and freezer. We can sometimes go a week with buying very little because we stock up on staples (beans, tomatoes, rice, chicken breasts, ground round) when it goes on sale, and can improvise with a lot of our pantry items

-- plan to use leftovers. Roast chicken on Sunday means chicken sandwiches for lunch Monday and quesadillas or burritos (add rice, beans, tomatoes) on Tuesday. Plus I make and freeze broth and keep it in 2 cup portions in the freezer.

-- very little processed food. Healthier and cheaper. We both love to cook, and we still struggle to find kid-friendly, weekday friendly recipes, but with experimentation and planning, we do pretty well

-- we almost never eat out or carry out. We might get pizza once a month, but even then we use the 2 for 1 specials and freeze leftovers or eat it for lunches the next day.

-- coupons, sales, and Costco. like others, we have limits on the max we are willing to pay for a specific item. When the universe aligns in our favor, we can stock up and save bundles on things like toothpaste, cheerios, canned goods, cleaning supplies baby wipes, etc.

-- Know what we are paying and what we are paying for. Compare the "per ounce" statistics. Read labels. Costco has a good, whole wheat, no HFCS bread that our kids like, 4g of fiber per slice, and comes out to $2.00 a loaf. We buy like 16 at a time and put it in the freezer.

-- We are lucky to have Procter and Gambel headquarters here. My wife particpates in market research studies/ focus groups (diapers, wipes, toothpast, body wash, etc) and gets about $50 in Kroger or Meijer gift cards a month, plus some free products.

So, yeah, we're a little obsessed. But I am a school teacher and my wife is a SAHM, so we have to pinch where we can. But, we eat really well... healthy, delicious and cheap.

Edited by DTraub 2007-05-18 8:36 AM
2007-05-18 9:08 AM

User image

Veteran
Well, it's just Tons of Fun and myself.  I'd say I spend maybe $100-$150.  But during race season, like now, that'll jump to $225 or so.
2007-05-18 9:29 AM

User image

Champion
Ottawa, Ontario
Well, I checked the budgets for months past and discovered that, on average, my wife and I buy a little over $900 worth of grocery per month.  This, of course, includes tp, paper towels, cleaning stuff and toiletries.
2007-05-18 11:52 AM

User image

, Hawaii
For my wife and I, I track everything we spend on Quicken, and our average monthly groceries and dining bill is about $750. Steep, I know, but we do eat pretty well living in NYC.

2007-05-18 1:42 PM
in reply to: #806256

User image

Veteran
Calgary, Alberta

Machiavelo - 2007-05-18 8:29 AM Well, I checked the budgets for months past and discovered that, on average, my wife and I buy a little over $900 worth of grocery per month.  This, of course, includes tp, paper towels, cleaning stuff and toiletries.

Well, at least we're not the ONLY ones. I made him re-check like eleventy-seven times, even though its all calculated in Quicken for us. I still can't believe we're that far above normal! The cost of living here is comparable to other places I have lived (Baltimore and Florida) and its not like our fridge/pantry is overflowing...oh well, thanks for all the posts! Its very interesting to compare...

2007-05-18 2:28 PM

User image

Ashburn, VA
We average $1000 (wife + 2 kids).
But we also shop at Wegmans for some good stuff.
We buy cheese, wine, bread and a lot of fruits/vegetables/chicken/fish and sometimes a cake (sorry we are French) so that adds up pretty quickly.

We could easily save some money.
But we have always preferred spending more on good and healthy food.
We very very rarely eat junk food (that is usually cheaper).

Edited by Fab 2007-05-18 2:28 PM
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Average monthly grocery bill? Rss Feed  

of 3