Other Resources My Cup of Joe » Bikini-how old is too old? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, the bear, DerekL, alicefoeller Reply

of 3

2007-05-21 8:04 PM
in reply to: #810851

Subject: RE: Bikini-how old is too old?
phoenixazul - 2007-05-21 8:51 PM
Note: none of the below pertain to the OP

There was the comment (by a male) that "modesty is always appropriate". And also a comment that a tarp should be thrown over the scantily clad teenagers at the YMCA. Several comment about how overweight people or people who aren't fit should cover up. However, the comment in the last paragraph is critical of a larger trend, unrelated to the poster. Modesty is almost always linked to female sexuality, temptation, original sin, the need to hide the female form to prevent temptation of males, etc. It's a tradition that puts the burden for purity and moral uprightness on women. Note that there are infinitely many sights devoted to "modesty wedding gowns" but few for "modesty groom attire". Women wear coverups around the pool, while overweight men may wear speedos and the like with impunity (lifeguard, I've seen it all). The modesty thing gets to me because of that. I suppose I should apologize for the hijack.

And yes, my response is critical of men, and of anyone else who wishes to force a rather outmoded system of judgment on people. Notice that I said "someone (especially a man)". One because no one should hold that sway of you, but least of all a man, when it comes to a woman's body and her decisions of appropriateness. We spent way too much time under that system, and generally, it sucks.

My comments were about the judgment concept in general, slightly on the modesty topic. Here's my answers. I do not and will not make apologies for my (some would say) radical feminism and criticism of things I find to still be gender pandering.

Thanks for your response. My response, hopefully in order:

You are absolutely right about the fact that anyone should feel comfortable wearing whatever they want. Just to point out, though, there will always be people that are going to think to themselves something along the lines of "ooh, I wouldn't wear that myself, but hey...."

Modesty wedding gowns - never heard of them myself. In relation to "modesty groom clothing," I can't really see the point. In most Western cultures, the groom is covered in cloth from neck to toe - face and hands being the only skin showing. How much more cloth would you have a man put on? You make it seem that men are "allowed" to wear as little as they like at a wedding. I find the entire opposite to be true concerning male and female clothing norms.

Swimwear - you say that women wear coverups at the pool but men wear Speedos all they like. I beg to differ. With the exception of training athletes, I know NO man that would choose to wear a speedo at the pool or beach for fear of embarrassment - no matter how fit they are. "Nice crime fighters, dude. Love the plum smugglers. Great new banana hammock you have there, pal." [smirk]

On the contrary, I think it's more of a social norm for women to be more scantily clad in that environment.

Your last comments, about not apologizing... of course you shouldn't. Did you expect someone to ask you to retract your statements?

2007-05-21 10:02 PM
in reply to: #807787

User image

Champion
Albuquerque, New Mexico
Bronze member

SuzanneS,

What a great smile!  Wear what you want. 

2007-05-21 11:45 PM

User image

Regular
Northern California
go for it, i bet you can pull it off much better than most people that use the pool at my gym.
2007-05-22 7:53 AM

User image

Elite
Hendersonville
Suzanne, you look awesome. Wear it if YOU want, not cuz your husband want you too! But your hubby is right, you look GREAT!
2007-05-22 9:02 AM
in reply to: #811030

User image

COURT JESTER
ROCKFORD, IL
McFuzz - 2007-05-21 9:02 PM

SuzanneS,

What a great smile!  Wear what you want. 

Leave the bikini at home and wear ONLY that smile.  Just trying to help. 
2007-05-22 9:53 AM

User image

Champion
Ottawa, Ontario

Ok- tell me, is this a go or a no go for a pool party this weekend? And you won't hurt my feelings, if you say no go, really.  I do *not* want to be "that girl" that's wearing something she shouldn't...

Sue, wear the swimsuit!  You are a very attractive young lady and you look good in it.  Don't worry about what "others might think".  Most "normal" people will think that you look great in it.  There is bound to be someone though, who thinks that you are too old or too fat or too pale or too something to wear a bikini or a dress or a wetsuit.  So what?  The problem lies withing that person's head ... some (heads) are not screwed on right you know ... not with you! 

2007-05-22 4:07 PM
in reply to: #811557

User image

Champion
the colony texas
i think you should wear it and realize that there will be people there that wish they looked as good in a bikini as you do,, and I'm sure some that will admire your confidence.

there will always be a few people in any group that have the need to find something wrong and drag people down to boost their own ego... don't worry about them.

Wear it
Wear it
Wear it

2007-05-22 4:17 PM

User image

Master
Tiger's Den

Thanks everyone. I hope I have the courage to wear it. I know I've got to get over the "fat" feeling eventually. It's such a struggle when you see so many women with perfectly flat abs. Makes girls feel like they have to look like that, you know?

I think I will be sure to take a cute tank top and shorts that I can don if I start to feel too self conscious. Of course, the liquid courage will be there.  That will most definitely help, LOL!

2007-05-22 4:23 PM
in reply to: #812475

User image

Master
Colorado

You look fantastic.  Wear it if you want.... I am a late comer to this thread.  I couldn't bring myself to open it in fear of that horrible pic that someone keeps posting.  But here I am.  I know those feelings.  I bought my first bikini last year, just for me.  It drove my ex crazy that I did and I wore it at the pool when he wasn't there, but you know what, I did it for me.  No one hit on me because of it, no one looked at me funny and no one even cared!!!  It is all in your own head. 

You are gorgeous.

2007-05-22 4:26 PM
in reply to: #812482

User image

Master
Colorado
Who said confidence?  Ding ding ding ding.  That is what it is all about.  You could see a girl with a perfect body, but if she is not confident, she just doesn't look right.  You wearing that bikini with confidence?  Damn girl, everyone will wish they were more like you.
2007-05-22 6:30 PM
in reply to: #810851

User image

Pro
Hailey, ID

phoenixazul - 2007-05-21 6:51 PM
dave699 - 2007-05-21 8:35 PM
phoenixazul - 2007-05-21 4:32 PM Want my honest opinion? Don't let anyone tell you what you can and cant' wear. I'm pretty chubby, but i'll be damned if I'll let someone (especially a man) tell me what I can and can't wear. If you don't feel comfortable in it, then ask yourself why? Is it because you don't like the way you look? or because you think *others* won't like the way you look. I say go for it. (anyone else think it is a bit...sad? that we only talk about modesty in terms of women? There are no "modesty" gowns for men, nothing designed to "preserve their purity"...because heaven forbid we show a shoulder).
Not trying to stir things up, but it seems to me that your response is critical of men. I am not offended at all, but there wasn't any mention in the OP or previous posts about any men trying to tell anyone what they could or couldn't wear. Also, the thread isn't about "preserving purity" or NOT allowing women to wear what they like, so I don't understand the comments in your last paragraph that imply that anyone is trying to do so. Actually, I just went back and checked - every male that posted voiced their support for the OP and said that she do whatever she liked.
Note: none of the below pertain to the OP There was the comment (by a male) that "modesty is always appropriate". And also a comment that a tarp should be thrown over the scantily clad teenagers at the YMCA. Several comment about how overweight people or people who aren't fit should cover up. However, the comment in the last paragraph is critical of a larger trend, unrelated to the poster. Modesty is almost always linked to female sexuality, temptation, original sin, the need to hide the female form to prevent temptation of males, etc. It's a tradition that puts the burden for purity and moral uprightness on women. Note that there are infinitely many sights devoted to "modesty wedding gowns" but few for "modesty groom attire". Women wear coverups around the pool, while overweight men may wear speedos and the like with impunity (lifeguard, I've seen it all). The modesty thing gets to me because of that. I suppose I should apologize for the hijack. And yes, my response is critical of men, and of anyone else who wishes to force a rather outmoded system of judgment on people. Notice that I said "someone (especially a man)". One because no one should hold that sway of you, but least of all a man, when it comes to a woman's body and her decisions of appropriateness. We spent way too much time under that system, and generally, it sucks. My comments were about the judgment concept in general, slightly on the modesty topic. Here's my answers. I do not and will not make apologies for my (some would say) radical feminism and criticism of things I find to still be gender pandering.

Man Hater! 

I find it sad that being modest is such a horrible thing.  Being LDS (Mormon) we believe in modesty for both men and woman.

But we also believe everyone has a right to their own opinions and their own ways of life. 

2007-05-22 7:12 PM
in reply to: #812475

User image

Extreme Veteran
coastal NC
SuzanneS - 2007-05-22 5:17 PM

Thanks everyone. I hope I have the courage to wear it. I know I've got to get over the "fat" feeling eventually. It's such a struggle when you see so many women with perfectly flat abs. Makes girls feel like they have to look like that, you know?

I think I will be sure to take a cute tank top and shorts that I can don if I start to feel too self conscious. Of course, the liquid courage will be there.  That will most definitely help, LOL!

I hope you wear it, Suzanne--you look damn good AND happy. Nothing more attractive than that.

Also, I'll bet at least some of women with the perfectly flat abs still see someone else when they look in the mirror, too. But you'd never know it from looking at them, you know?

And the shorts/tanktop idea is good, too--that way you have a Plan B, which can help you relax.

2007-05-22 8:42 PM
in reply to: #812645

User image

Elite
Bay Area, CA
bradword - 2007-05-22 4:30 PM

I find it sad that being modest is such a horrible thing.  Being LDS (Mormon) we believe in modesty for both men and woman.

Being modest in and of itself is not a horrible thing.  Being mandated to it or told "this is how you must do it" is.

FWIW - I think generally young kids (especially young girls) are being raised to show WAY too much skin too young.  I don't want to think prostitute when I see a pre-teen girl walking in the mall.  So maybe my mindset is not How Old is Too Old, but How Young is Too Young.

I personally think that kids should be raised to dress modestly, and once they are old enough to understand what kind of messages they are sending by what they are wearing, let them have at it.  Whether we like it or not, we DO send a message to others based on the way we dress.

Ok, hijack off...

Suzanne, if it were me I'd go get a sarong or one of those really big wraparound scarf things, and wear it around your hips if you feel uncomfortable.  Otherwise, as long as you are enjoying yourself go for it.

Edited by cadreamer 2007-05-22 8:42 PM
2007-05-23 11:54 AM
in reply to: #812765

User image

Master
State of Confusion
cadreamer - 2007-05-22 8:42 PM
bradword - 2007-05-22 4:30 PM

Being modest in and of itself is not a horrible thing.  Being mandated to it or told "this is how you must do it" is.

FWIW - I think generally young kids (especially young girls) are being raised to show WAY too much skin too young.  I don't want to think prostitute when I see a pre-teen girl walking in the mall.  So maybe my mindset is not How Old is Too Old, but How Young is Too Young. I totally agree with this. I won't even let my 7 year old daughter wear a 2 -piece.

I personally think that kids should be raised to dress modestly, and once they are old enough to understand what kind of messages they are sending by what they are wearing, let them have at it.  Whether we like it or not, we DO send a message to others based on the way we dress.

Ok, hijack off...

Suzanne, if it were me I'd go get a sarong or one of those really big wraparound scarf things, and wear it around your hips if you feel uncomfortable.  Otherwise, as long as you are enjoying yourself go for it.

2007-05-23 4:48 PM
in reply to: #810613

User image

Pro
Helena, MT
Suzanne, wear it!!! You are super-cute and look great. Just be sure to maintain good posture like you have in the pictures. It's natural to want to slouch if you're feeling insecure, but there's no quicker way to look fatter, less fit, oddly-shaped, etc.
2007-05-23 8:32 PM
in reply to: #814236

User image

Master
Tiger's Den
Thanks- yep, bad posture is a major flaw of mine. My hubby harps on it all the time. I'm working on it.

2007-05-24 5:36 AM

New user

Texas
Suzanne, congratulations, the before and after pics are remarkable and admirable. I vote for the bikini but only if you feel comfortable in it. If you're self-conscious it may put a damper in your mood. Another two cents worth....I'm a bit conservative and if I'm going to be walking around I like a sarong - plus they have some really cute ones out there.

BbMoozer - if your comfy wear the bikini. Take the board shorts (or a sarong) - then you got 'em if you need 'em. You are NOT too old!
New Thread
Other Resources My Cup of Joe » Bikini-how old is too old? Rss Feed  

of 3