United States
45F / 7C
Overcast
Total Time = 1h 39m 16s
Overall Rank = /
Age Group =
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

drove up to the race on friday. after 8.5 (stuck in construction for 1.5 hours) in the car, we got to the fargodome, picked up our packet and nice participation stuff and hit up the pasta feed. this was my second experience with the pasta feed (green bay was the other). like green bay, this one sucked. never going to do that again. went back to the hotel and tried to get some sleep. woke up, had a waffle, went to the race site.
Event warmup:

i am dealing with some plantar fasciitis issues, so i was doing some extra stretching along with tape on the foot. it was very cold at the start and the wind was blowing something fierce. the wife was running the marathon and she was the big reason we were there, so this half was just something fun to pass the time. we were all huddled together at the start and then away we went.
Run
  • 1h 39m 16s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 07m 35s  min/mile
Comments:

good run. like i said, this one was for fun, so no expectations. the front part was a little crowded, but i did start back with my wife running the marathon, so i was wading through a lot of marathoners. i found a friend of mine running the marathon, i paced with him a little bit. water stations were about every two miles and they were very good stations. lots of water and gatorade, no food though. in fact, i only hit one gu station. i would have expected a little more from a scheel's sponsered event, but oh well. very few hills and lots of friendly people. towards the end i really started hamming it up and trying to rally the spectators. the finish was in the fargo dome and you were on a big jumbotron. i did a little showboating ;), we'll see how the photo turns out. such a dork.
What would you do differently?:

nothing. this one was totally for fun and i got a good workout in. foot didn't really bother me that day (hurt a little more today!) and i was only three minutes off my pr. can't beat that.
Post race
Warm down:

as soon as i was done i got my five pound finishers medal (it's like a coaster!), changed in my car and walked about four miles to the 20 mile on the mary route. i meet some other husbands there and we saw the ladies at 20, 23, and the finish. got a good long warm down in.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

the pf in the foot worried me since i have a sprint tri in two weeks and i wanted to do well at that. if i didn't have the pf issue, i may have gone a little quicker, but i had fun, no worries.

Event comments:

lots of fun, aside from my foot, i feel like i'm in the best shape i've even been. we'll see in two weeks!!

Last updated: 2006-12-17 12:00 AM
Running
01:39:16 | 13.1 miles | 07m 35s  min/mile
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/
Performance: Good
mostly zone 2 effort with a little in low zone 3
Course: mostly residential street and some "downtown" areas. lots of wind cover and a handful of bands scattered about.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %NA
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2007-05-20 6:23 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
"the wave", iowa
Subject: Fargo Marathon/Half Marathon

2007-05-21 6:38 AM
in reply to: #808798

User image

Expert
Minnesota
Subject: RE: Fargo Marathon/Half Marathon
I had PF back in Feb. Took quite a while to get rid of the problem. I found some insoles that really helped. (called SofSole I think?)

Nice Race
2007-05-21 7:27 AM

User image

Regular
Corona, California

Great race, especially when just diong it for fun. I would pay money for a time like that. How's the feet feeling; hope the PF is not a problem. This is my first experience with it, sucks.

Anyway awesome race!!

Have a great week. 

2007-05-21 1:10 PM

User image

Not a Coach
Media, PA

Glad the foot seemed OK.  Hope it hold up for your upcoming tri.

Nice job for a "good workout". 

2007-05-21 9:08 PM

User image

Pro
A farming town in MN
Wow, awesome race for just a 'fun run.'  You PR a 1:36?!  That's smokin' fast.  You need to run with benihana.  He ran about the same pace for the half.  Hope you had a great weekend with the family.  How'd your wife do?
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Fargo Marathon/Half Marathon Rss Feed