General Discussion Race Reports! » Salute to the Military Red, White and Blue 5K Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Salute to the Military Red, White and Blue 5K - Run5k

View Member's Race Log
Williamsburg, Virginia
United States
CRR
60F / 16C
Sunny
Total Time = 30m 34s
Overall Rank = /
Age Group = 40-44
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

Live close to where the race was held so I got to sleep in and have a decent breakfast, coffee and an english muffin. Got the girls up and helped get them ready. The whole family was running this race.

Event warmup:

Jogged around with my oldest Ashley. Was a bit chilly due to the wind. Abby, my youngest, was warming up with her Girls on the Run group from school. She is the reason we did this race. This group is for 10-12 year old girls to help boost self-esteem and self worth when these girls need it the most. Through running and at the end of the 12 weeks they run a 5K.
Run
  • 30m 34s
  • 3.1 miles
  • 09m 52s  min/mile
Comments:

This race was mainly just a training run for me so I could do it with the whole family. Abby was running this race for Girls on the Run. There were 19 girls running with them. They were all so excited and scared. Was very cute watch them start together. There were 4 off them that were just infront of me for the entire race. One of the girls would slow down and need a walk break. I had asked her if she wanted me to slow down with her but when I would she would pick it back up and catch up to the others. They were so strong! My hubby and oldest, Ashley were well ahead of me. Abby was a bit slower and stayed back with one of the teachers and a few other girls. When we got to the first mile I had 9:32. That's the fast mile I had ever done and was really pumped. Walked through the two water stations because I'm not to good and the run and drink thing!!! After the last water station I passed the 4 girls and tried to push hard to get under 30 min. We got close to the finish and the 4 girls started to sprint. A guy watching, yelled to me that they were gunning for me and close. I heard the stomping of their feet, tried to push harder, but their youth got me. But in the end I manged to get really close to the 30 minutes. This was the fastest 5K I've done!! This is still and unoffical time but I did find out that Ashley came in 2nd for her AG at 27:09. Hubby did 25 something and not sure what Abby did but she came in after me.
What would you do differently?:

Nothing, this was a PR for me and great to be able to run with the whole family
Post race
Warm down:

Hung out to cheer Abby when she finished.

Event comments:

This was a very well run race and had lots of military people volunteering. They had a nice picnic lunch with hamburgers and hot dogs after the race.

Last updated: 2007-05-08 12:00 AM
Running
00:30:34 | 03.1 miles | 09m 52s  min/mile
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/
Performance: Good
Course: Flat course around the naval base.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5]

{postbutton}
2007-05-21 9:02 AM

User image

Expert
Williamsburg, VA
Subject: Salute to the Military Red, White and Blue 5K

2007-05-21 11:02 AM
in reply to: #809413

User image

Extreme Veteran
Williamsburg, Virginia
Subject: RE: Salute to the Military Red, White and Blue 5K
Congrats on the PR, and to the whole family. It is cool that you got them all out.
2007-05-21 11:49 AM
in reply to: #809413

User image

Master
Goodyear, AZ
Subject: RE: Salute to the Military Red, White and Blue 5K

Woohoo! Congrats on the PR- you must be so happy! You used to hate running, remember?

And your whoe family particiapted- that's what it's all about.

Glad you had fun Now rest up and feel better!

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Salute to the Military Red, White and Blue 5K Rss Feed