CenLaFitness.com
52F / 11C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 27m 32s
Overall Rank = 19/61
Age Group = 50-54
Age Group Rank = 2/6
Pre-race routine:

The usual: coffee, bagel, shower, shave and dress. Drive 90 minutes north to race site with Angel. Get packet, set up transition.
Event warmup:

No warmup, busy visiting and stressing about whether or not to wear wetsuit. Only three people did, I figured on a short swim it wouldn't be worth the hassle.
Swim
  • 11m 47s
  • 500 meters
  • 02m 22s / 100 meters
Comments:

Not a good swim at all, felt lethargic the whole way. The, after rounding the buoy, headed into the sun so I couldn't see at all. Breaststroked several times to try to sight, ended up zigzagging as well. Finally rounded the next buoy to head to shore, and did a little better.
What would you do differently?:

As always, need to work on the swim, need to work on sighting in the sun too, I guess.
Transition 1
  • 01m 8s
Comments:

Not that great a transition. They wanted our bibs on for the bike, so I fumbled with the race belt before putting on glasses and helmets. Very short run into and out of transition, though, so not much time spent.

Had a rubber band break on the pedal opposite the one I usually mount, so I had to get on from the other side of the bike. Made the mount a little sloppier, and probably took me a little longer to get on and up to speed. Transition area was at a boat ramp, so we had to ride an incline to get out. Made the turn and got on the main road and up to speed before I put the shoes on.

Practice putting on race belt (usually put on during the run). Otherwise pretty good, all things considered.
Bike
  • 49m 40s
  • 18 miles
  • 21.74 mile/hr
Comments:

Overall, a nice, well-managed bike course, with just enough turns and climbs to give a little challenge. Most of the route was coned off from the traffic, police at every intersection and nearly every side road.

Passed several people coming out of transition, got stuck behind a woman in the no-passing zone that was the first bridge. Passed her quickly as we got off the bridge and continued on. Seemed to be a slight breeze heading out as I was a little slower coming back, stayed over 23 most of the way out and around 22.5 coming back. Crossed a railroad track with the warning lights blinking, slowed until I saw a volunteer who waved us through. Made the turnaround OK. Concrete roadway returning had lousy joints, so it was badump, badump, badump for about five of those miles. Again on the bridge I got stuck behind a slightly slower rider, but not as bad as the first time. He and I both got over 35 on the short descent.

Bike computer showed distance to be 18.36 miles, which means average was
22.17mph.

Not too much, maybe pass these people before the bridge, but really they had wide leads on me until they started climbing.
Transition 2
  • 00m 34s
Comments:

This went well, perfect dismount, short run to rack, parked bike, helmet off, shoes on, and left. Didn't have to mess with race belt as it was already on. ;)

Nothing.
Run
  • 24m 23s
  • 3.11 miles
  • 07m 50s  min/mile
Comments:

Came out of transition right behind Lawrence, a local guy in my age group, but he's a dominant runner that I can't catch on my best day. Sure enough, he pulled off ahead of me. My focus immediately was on cadence and getting my heart rate under control, settled down into a steady pace. Course had a few baby rollers, otherwise fairly flat, pretty course along the lake. At the turnaround, saw Lawrence had a insurmountable lead, and no one in my AG was close enough behind me to threaten. Still pushed it kind of hard, enough to get a side stitch signaling it was time to back off. Nearing the finish, a young guy half my age passed me and encouraged me to pick it up, stayed with him a little while. Also got passed close to the chute by a 16-yo.

Running is still not back where it was prior to my three-month layoff, and my plantar fasciitis is acting up again. Just have to tolerate it as best as possible and do what I can.
Post race
Warm down:

Stood araound, drank a couple of gatorades, watched the other finishers come in. When results were posted, saw there was also a 50-yo who finished 6th overall, but he won the "Grand Master" award and was taken out of our AG. Lawrence was first, and I was second, got a decent-looking plaque.

This was the first of two races I did this weekend, my first double weekend. Sunday's race report here: http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp...

Slept all the way home, while Angel drove. (Yes, she saw me at each transition and the finish of this race, unlike Sunday when she was buried in her schoolwork when I finished.)

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Swimming ability, insufficient run training.

Event comments:

Great race for a first-time event. Great venue on a pretty little lake, bike course was well-marshalled and mostly closed to traffic, run was shady, mostly flat, and along the lake. Goody bag had a nice shirt, polar bottle with race logo and Hammer products. Nice finishers medals and plaques for the AG winners.

Profile Album

Last updated: 2007-05-04 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:11:47 | 500 meters | 02m 22s / 100meters
Age Group: 4/6
Overall: 47/61
Performance: Below average
Suit: No
Course: Triangle shaped
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 76F / 24C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Below average
Breathing: Average Drafting:
Waves: Navigation: Below average
Rounding: Average
T1
Time: 01:08
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
00:49:40 | 18 miles | 21.74 mile/hr
Age Group: 1/6
Overall: 9/61
Performance: Good
Wind:
Course: Out on US 165, to LA1 for 9 miles to turnaround. Climbing on a bridge then an overpass within the first mile.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 00:34
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:24:23 | 03.11 miles | 07m 50s  min/mile
Age Group: 2/6
Overall: 28/61
Performance: Average
Course: Out and back, around the lake into the airport to the turnaround, directly across the lake from transition.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2007-05-23 6:16 AM

User image

Resident Curmudgeon
The Road Back
Gold member
Subject: Twin Cities Triathlon

2007-05-23 9:14 AM
in reply to: #812953

User image

Coach
Boston, MA
Subject: RE: Twin Cities Triathlon

Next time just trip this Lawrence guy! I hope the PF improves soon, congrats!

2007-05-23 9:33 AM

User image

Expert
St. Louis, MO
Someone tried to motivate you to "kick it up" during the run...and you were already doing sub-8 minute miles? Hmmm...you cajun people have distorted perceptions!
2007-05-23 1:01 PM

User image

Expert
New Orleans

Nicely done Bear! Two podium finishes is impressive, especially in the same weekend!

Great job!

2007-05-23 4:57 PM

User image

Veteran
Carencro, Louisiana
U GEAUX BOY!!!  Beautiful plaque!  It would have been a great day, if the weather would have been a little warmer.  I was frozen for most of the race.  Embarassed
2007-05-23 6:29 PM

Champion

Hey you look pretty good on the bike, cornering like a pro there.  And no one had to hold you up at the awards ceremony, that's always a good sign at our age!! 

2007-05-23 8:35 PM

User image

Veteran
this was also my first tri ever swim stank needed to get at least one open water swim in before race day but i didnt. finished with a 1:48:33 im hooked now. woohoo
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Twin Cities Triathlon Rss Feed