General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Elbow pain after bike ride - Please help! Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2004-09-14 4:31 PM

User image

Santa Cruz, CA
Subject: Elbow pain after bike ride - Please help!
Well I have been riding my road bike for about a month now and am up to about a 48 min ride on my long ride days. About half way though this long ride the inside of my right elbow starts to hurt I try to change positions and not put stress on it during other irdes but it still hurts. It stays that way for a copple of days when i do sertain things like somthing has been strained. Does any one otu there have any idea what i can do to correct this? Do i need to change my form on the bike? Any help would be apriciated.

2004-09-14 4:49 PM
in reply to: #61584

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2004-09-14 4:52 PM
in reply to: #61596

2004-09-14 5:20 PM

Santa Cruz, CA
Subject: RE: Elbow pain after bike ride - Please help!
Thanks for the info. What would a neutral wrist position be? An example would be awesome.
2004-09-14 5:27 PM
in reply to: #61621

2004-09-14 5:39 PM

Santa Cruz, CA
no i see what it is now and i think that is what might have some of the cause in it. I will have to watch more closely the next time i ride. Thank you for you input.

2004-09-15 8:23 AM

Veteran
Albury, Oz
Are you Tri Training? If so it may be that you are getting this elbow pain as the result of swimming but aggravating it by having a prolonged position when bike riding. It doesn't sound like a biking type of pain - there are other more exquisite sites for you to discover ;-) Either that or you are gripping for dear life and causing a continual contraction of your arm muscles - the pain would be due to the pulling of the tendons inside the elbow. So try relaxing - there should be no tension in the forearms or locking of the elbows - grip the handlebars like they are egg shells. Occasionally take an arm off (moving the hand that stays behind to nearer the head stem so you don't unbalance) give your arm a little loosening shake and then swap sides. And suss out if it is swim related - have you increased swim intensity or come back to swimming after a layoff? None of this sounds serious so a few anti-inflammatories and a good shake and rub should set you right. Dx
2004-09-15 10:37 AM

Santa Cruz, CA
Ya it is not swiming related as i have not strated training for the swim yet. It might have something to do with holding on too tight that is another thing i will have to look out for when i ride later this week. Thanks for the info.
2004-09-15 3:24 PM

Champion
Ottawa, Ontario
How are your elbows placed when you ride? Do you lock them? Or are they bent? If the elbow is locked, you will get that pain on the inside of the elbow...I know from experience. Always keep your elbows bent whether you are riding on the hoods or in the drop. Take a look at pictures of road cyclists and triathletes riding their bikes and you will see what I mean.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Elbow pain after bike ride - Please help! Rss Feed