Other Resources My Cup of Joe » incident at baseball game Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, the bear, DerekL, alicefoeller Reply
2004-09-14 11:24 PM

User image

Regular
St. Louis, Mo.
Subject: incident at baseball game
I was just flipping through the channels and landed on ESPN. They were doing a story about a baseball player who got into an argument with a fan, it looked like a near-riot insued. One of the players threw a chair at the fan, missed, and hit the fan's wife in the face with the chair and broke her nose.

The story has more bs but this is the simple version. I personally think that under NO circumstance should a player have any contact with the fans. I disagree with the fans getting drunk and heckling the players but for a league minimum of $500,000 / year they should also get some sort of anger management seminar. I guess this is a side effect from having seats closer and closer to the playing field. What do you think of this?

2004-09-15 12:35 PM
in reply to: #61786

User image

Extreme Veteran
Bay Area, CA
Subject: RE: incident at baseball game
I was actually at the game, that this happened at. I agree it is totally unacceptable that the player basically almost came into the stands. Players need to learn to deal with hecklers and approach the on field security which is present at ALL A's games if they are having problems with a fan. I'm sure if the fan had been saying inapporpiate things he would have been asked to leave before it got to the boiling point. It should be noted that the fan whose wife got hit, was the fan the got into the arguement with the player, they are having a press conference tomorrow afternoon..

Security at Tuesday's night game was about 3 times normal for that area of the staduim. Frankly I think it was a bit overkill, but at least nothing happened.
2004-09-15 4:41 PM

User image

Regular
St. Louis, Mo.
Oh yeah, I forgot to put this in my origional post...

GO CARD's!!!!!
2004-09-15 7:00 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Bay Area, CA
Well then I should add go A's!!!!
2004-09-15 7:19 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Paso Robles, California

But in the same token, those small percentage of fans that always push the envelope can make it dangerous for the players.  I am not saying in this instance that throwing the chair was warranted, but if the fan was threating the players, I think the players has a right to stand up from themselve.  Plus, those damn A's fans actually all Oakland fans do not know how to conduct themselves.  there are always about getting drunk and starting fight.

GO GIANTS

2004-09-15 7:53 PM
in reply to: #62236

User image

Champion
Beautiful Sonoma County
jryals - 2004-09-15 4:19 PM

Plus, those damn A's fans actually all Oakland fans do not know how to conduct themselves.  there are always about getting drunk and starting fight.

GO GIANTS

LOL! Go Giants! Only 4.5 games back!

Oh, OK.... go As! But I draw the line at the Cardinals!

2004-09-15 8:08 PM

User image

Okinawa, Japan
I feel players should have more control of them selves. Just because a person is heckling them who cares they are only words and they won't hurt. I think it is about times player are punished for the crime they commit. Fighting ruins the game. There are so many poor Sports out there. Fighting on the field whether it is with a player or fan is plain and simple an assault. Fighting is not part of the game.
2004-09-16 11:27 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Paso Robles, California

Because there is no preventure program in Baseball.  The NFL has one for rookies.

But baseball doesn't have anything, heckling is really bad in the minor league system, but you don't see this stuff happening, why?

I think it is die to the fact that so many young people 19-20 years old are entering the league and do not know how to control emotions.

J

2004-09-16 11:38 AM

User image

Regular
Pleasanton, CA
I have season tickets to the A's and if I went to the game I would have been in row 4 in the section behind that incident. Thankfully I couldn't go to the game.

I've seem some really rude fans and don't think people should behave like that any where they go. If that guy did the heckling at his place of work, he would have been punished or fired. Just because you play $30 to see a baseball game doesn't give you the right to act like a complete ass.

As for the player, I'm surprised to see a player do this. I've coached baseball for 14 years and have heard/seen similar heckling but professional players know to block that stuff out. Let it do in one ear and out the other! However, that player let it get to him and he should be penalized for it. A fine, suspension, and lawsuit are unfortunate but a standard has to be set.

Also, the heckling fan should loose his season tickets. Not only should the player be accountable but the fan should be accountable for his actions also. Even if he is, his wife will be a millionare when it's all done.

Go A's!!!! and oh yea, I'm a life long Yankees fan so Go Yanks!!!!!!!!!!
2004-09-16 1:55 PM
in reply to: #62533

User image

Pro
Helena, MT
jryals - 2004-09-16 9:27 AM

But baseball doesn't have anything, heckling is really bad in the minor league system, but you don't see this stuff happening, why?

You see it over and over again. So many of these pro athletes in big sports think they're above the law (and apparently, they are...). They are 90% cocky jerks who think that they're above real consequences to their actions.

I hope that he has to deal with the legal system. The real legal system... whatever the league wants to do is fine, but you can't break someone's nose and not spend at least a little time in jail. What makes this guy any better than your average person? And just so you know, I don't think very highly of other rich and famous folk either. And I think the heckler was an idiot and an ass and way out of line. But you don't just hit people with chairs.

And I have way more pro athlete rants if you wanna hear em! LOL!

2004-09-16 3:58 PM

User image

Regular
St. Louis, Mo.
I wouldn't mess with a professional athelete. Maybe I'm a weenie but I know how to avoid a beating. I agree that these guys think they're above the law. It's a problem giving a low-income teenager several million dollars a year to play a sport. Granted, some deal with it well, but the majority squander it. Sad.

Maybe they should make these guys do public service announcements. "Hi, I'm so-and-so. I have an anger problem and threw a chair at a woman. I was raised by baboons." Something to that effect. Public humiliation. Just a thought.

2004-09-16 5:28 PM
in reply to: #62704

User image

Pro
Helena, MT

DaveG - 2004-09-16 1:58 PM

"Hi, I'm so-and-so. I have an anger problem and threw a chair at a woman. I was raised by baboons."

OMG, I just busted out laughing SO hard right in the middle of my office! Thanks a lot. :-P LOL! Raised by baboons.... HA!

2004-09-24 12:49 AM

User image

Ontario
The sad thing is that this is far from the first time that fans and players have had a confrontation....not just in baseball, but lots of sports.
2004-09-24 9:33 AM

New user

Holland, MI
Being a huge baseball fan, this bothers me greatly...

They are both right and wrong at the same time when it comes to cause/effect. However, both need to be taught a specific lesson. The fan needs to be banned from the park for inciting the situation, and the player needs to sent to jail for escalating it farther than it ever needed to be...

Just because you pay money doesn't give you the right to become an idiot, especially when you admit that to be your intention. And just because you make certain amount does not relieve you of your duty as a respondible person but aslo as a representative of both the game and your team...
2004-09-24 9:48 AM

User image

Expert
Lafayette, CO
Gee, ya think serving alcohol at sports venues exacerbates this situation?  Sure, you may still get an idiot in to heckle, but he's going to think a little clearer when he sees some guy swinging a bat or chair coming his way.  Give that same idiot a couple beers...
2004-09-24 10:38 AM

User image

Champion
Ottawa, Ontario
The situation seems to be cut and dried to me. At most, the fan is a jerk for having "mouthed off" at the player; for that he should have been spoken to by security or ejected from the park. The player is also a jerk for his response but he went further and compounded his idiocy by throwing a chair at the fan, thereby committing a criminal act. He should be charged by the authorities for assault, maybe even assault with a weapon. Furthermore, I assume that the fan's wife will sue...and will most undoubtedly win!

New Thread
Other Resources My Cup of Joe » incident at baseball game Rss Feed