United States
Pelican Fest LLC
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 09m 20s
Overall Rank = 114/288
Age Group = M40-44
Age Group Rank = 15/30
Pre-race routine:

Did the all evening tweaking of bike (put on different tires) shoes (added YANKZ), packing the bags and the van, shaving, getting the kids to bed and trying to be relaxed when this all took much longer than it should have. Had a good hour and a half sleep then a fitful sleep the next 4 or so hrs til the alarm went off. Got up a 4:15, put breakfast in the oven, showered, put the bike on the van, made a smoothie while my wife got the kids ready and into the car and left at 5:15 to head up to Windsor. Got there about 6:30 grabbed my bag and went to claim/set up transition spot. Then went to pick up packet.
Event warmup:

Took the packet material back to transition and then did a light jog back to the van (about 1/2 mile) Ate a bowl of baked oatmeal about 1 hr pre-race, then changed and got the bike down. Went for a short ride, past transition, and up the only real climb. Ran through the gears, had some slipping but seemed manageable. Finished organizing transition and then put the wetsuit on (that activity was warm up enough ;) ) Met Z-dog before the race. Got in the water for my wave and did about 4 or 5 strokes out and then back.
Swim
  • 15m 30s
  • 875 yards
  • 01m 46s / 100 yards
Comments:

This was my first open water swim of the year. Getting into the wet suit was a challenge, it seemed like it shrunk. Once I got it into the water it felt fine. My only goal for this swim was to be smooth and get out of the water comfortable. I was taking nice relaxed strokes, breathing bilaterally, occasionally looking for feet. I wasn't sighting for the first stretch, just made sure I had folks inside me and outside of me. When I finally did sight for myself I was doing a pretty good job of swimming straight towards the buoy. I found some feet that were comfortable to follow and had them all the way to the buoy, we turned right at it and then started the leg into the sun. I stayed on these feet (I think they were the same ones) for most of the second leg, again doing a good job of going straight towards the bouy, maybe drifting a little bit to the right. It is amazing, just swimming so much more (relative thing, but for me I swam much more over the last 6 months than I have the rest of my life) has somewhat straightened out my stroke. So I turn right on the second buoy an and try and pick up the third. I don't see it but start swimming with what is left of the pack around me. Eventually I sight "a" buoy an do a pretty good job of swimming towards it. I have someone else around me although I am not sure who is leading who here, but every time I look I am swimming straight towards that bouy which seems a long way off. Then I hear, "You need to go left" I look up and it is some folks in the boat. I was going towards the wrong buoy. I clear my goggles, find the correct one and get ready to go. I find out I do have company out there though, Z-dog is out there with me. Funny. We laugh about our scenic tour and get back to work. I hope I gave him a good draft back to the course. I round the last buoy and head for home. I was curious how much time I lost and how much extra distance I was swimming, but not too much. Overall it was better than last years expedition. I started kicking on this part a little more, not to make up time but just prep the legs for what is to come. I get out of the water in 14:30 with an HR of 155, I was feeling pretty good. I then make the trek up to transition. I hit t1 in 15:30 (I did it in 16:00 last year, but I think the timing mat was closer to the water.) I was much fresher that last year, In 2006 I was just relieved I survived my first OWS.
What would you do differently?:

Pre determine land marks for bouys? Accurately pick up the proper buoy to swim towards? Clear my goggles? Stay on "smart" feet.
Transition 1
  • 01m 52s
Comments:

What did I do with all that time? I felt good, did a double check to make sure I wasn't forgetting anything, but I thought I moved steadily otherwise. I took nearly 1 minute out of 2006 (although some may have been on the run in)

I am not sure, it would have been good to have this on video to break it down and see where I am wasting time.
Bike
  • 28m 10s
  • 10 miles
  • 21.30 mile/hr
Comments:

I wanted to come in and beat last years time, but I had no indications this spring that I had speed to do it yet. I was afraid I would go out like 2-3 mph slower. Once I was on the bike though I just felt pretty good. I kept it in the little chainring past the roundabout and onto the hill. Just spinning away my HR went into the 170' but I felt ok. Got to the top of the and someone I passed easily on the hill blew by me. I was like what got into him, I guess he was stronger than he looked. I crested the little hill on Hilltop drive and then got into the big chainring and just wanted to go. (AC/DC song - "For Those About to Rock" popped into my head) I just hit it. Was cranking 27 or 28 through that neighborhood. Blew by that guy and never saw him again. Would have cornered more aggressively but was hitting most of them behind people being a bit more cautious. Was passed by a young guy on the way out (only time on that bike that stuck - one advantage of being so far back out of the water and being in the third wave out of four is that most of the fast people are already ahead of you). Continued on the out bound slowing some as it is a deceptive climb, it looks like it should be pretty flat. Hit the turn around in 15 and change and started my way back. Held upper 20's for a good stretch, back to the neighborhoods and down the hill, I think I only topped out at 44. Got back in 12 and change. Actually beat last year by 40 secs. Yeah

Maybe I should work the hill a little more
Transition 2
  • 01m 4s
Comments:

Here I improved nearly 30 secs, it seemed really quick (for me). I was liking the YANKZ I bought yesterday, good purchase although the tongue wasn't quite smooth on one foot for the first 1/2 mile or so.

maybe move quicker with the bike. but this was one of my fastest t2's ever
Run
  • 22m 43s
  • 3.11 miles
  • 07m 18s  min/mile
Comments:

I just couldn't/didn't push on the run that hard. In the beginning, I just ran the hills steady keeping my turnover high. The second hill I saw everyone on it walking I wondered if that would be quicker or better at least to walk and let the HR settle, but I elected to keep "running" it. tried to be as smooth as possible on the way down. In the run I was only passed twice that stuck - again the benefit of being so far back in the pack after the swim. I was moving steadily if not strongly on the flat sections, trying to pick up the tempo periodically. Played leapfrog with on guy on the run,tried to encourage him when I went by in the last mile somewhere. I picked it up the last stretch in and with about 100 yds left he comes up and says let's go. He nudges ahead and I lift it, then surprisingly this burst comes up and I am gone. I thought I had lifted most of what I had already in the last 1/4 mile so I think that kick was from beyond this world. (Thanks Aaron for pushing me in the end) Kind of interesting, I didn't see any mile markers, that would have helped my pacing (or are you supposed to pace in a sprint or just to all out)

Train more in the foothills and trail running to prepare for the steeps and descents of this run. Get myself to lift the pace a little earlier. Listen to all body indicators, not just one.
Post race
Warm down:

Get food, meet other BTers - it was cool to put faces to folks. I had a totally wrong image of a couple.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

SPEED. Top end is untapped.

Event comments:

Distance bother me I could use a longer bike and would like an accurate 3.1 run, but my family likes going up for this event. The girls loved seeing the Pelicans, the hot air balloons, the water skiers, playing on the beach, playing on the inflatable toys ( and JJ seemed to like that part too he didn't comment on any of it though ;) )
So just for the overall atmosphere we will probably be back. Hey maybe next year I will have kid patrol and my wife will race it?!?!!

Last updated: 2007-05-24 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:15:30 | 875 yards | 01m 46s / 100yards
Age Group: 22/30
Overall: 187/288
Performance: Good
Suit: Full
Course: What would you call it, a clockwise trapezoid?
Start type: Deep Water Plus: Waves
Water temp: 68F / 20C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Average
Waves: Navigation: Average
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 01:52
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: No
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed:
Biking
00:28:10 | 10 miles | 21.30 mile/hr
Age Group: 11/30
Overall: 59/288
Mostly around 175, I saw a high of 179 and low in the upper 160s but I didn't track it on the high speed descent.
Wind: Little
Course: Out and back, flat for the first 1/2 mile or so, then up a multi-part hill into residential area at the top, back to a county highway then to a state road with a good shoulder. They closed of the westbound lane for the race so bike traffic was going both ways in the lane. This was a little confusing. They advertise 10 or 10+ miles but the avg speed calculation on the results page based upon time would make it just short of 9.5 miles and the route tracker put it at 9.64(3 more miles would help me with my placings some especially after coming out of the water down so far.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:04
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:22:43 | 03.11 miles | 07m 18s  min/mile
Age Group: 21/30
Overall: 130/288
Hills I was in the 170's flats mostly 160 til the finishing 1/4 where it was 190's
Course: Up and down a couple of reeeeeediccculous golf cart path hills then settles out nicely, with an out and back to a maintenance area and back to the finish on a dirt roadway. I heard rumor that this "Garmin'd" out at 2.8. That seems closer to how the run felt. 8:08's are more realistic.
Keeping cool Good Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? No
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 3

{postbutton}
2007-05-27 1:35 AM

User image

Elite
Lakewood, CO
Subject: Pelican Fest Triathlon

2007-05-27 1:32 PM
in reply to: #818492

User image

Westminster, CO
Subject: RE: Pelican Fest Triathlon

great race!  awesome bike!!!  Sorry I missed you yesterday.

So our 2007 tri racing season has begun... It won't be long before we'll be reflecting back on it at the IMFL finishline in November!  We'll have a lot to talk about.

keep up the good work

2007-05-27 5:33 PM

User image

Pro
Simpsonville, SC
Sounds like a good race to start your season off. Mile markers at sprints are few ands far in between here also. I guess you're supposed to do the whole thing all out! Congrats again on your first tri of the season!

Pam
2007-05-28 12:15 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Aurora, CO
I would have to agree with you on the shortcomings of this race but it was a good tune up race to kick off the season. It was good to meet you.......Nice work!
2007-05-28 7:59 PM

User image

Expert
Earth

Great job Scott!

Sounds like you did what you wanted in each part of the Tri.  I am sure your swimming will continue to get better, and that sounds like an awsome bike ride.

2007-05-29 11:26 PM

User image

A very cool place in Colorado :)

Nice job beating last year's bike time by 50 secs, even though you weren't sure if you had the speed yet! WEW-HOO!

Ya, I was thinking the same thing: If I walked, would I be going the same speed? Those hills were brutal for me - not sure if I'm doing this race again next year although the rest of it was pretty fun.

Job well done out there - sorry we missed each other!

2007-05-29 11:54 PM

User image

Master
Denver
Good race report buddy! That course owes us some time next year!!! I think we should get some training in before then and we can easily push each other in all three disciplines.
2007-05-31 1:54 PM

User image

Pro
A farming town in MN

Awesome race!  Looks like improvement in a lot of areas.  Too funny...if you could figure out that it was z-dog out there swimming, you're not doing too bad on sighting.  That was a superfast swim despite the 'off course' moments.

Congrats on a great race...

2007-05-31 2:46 PM
in reply to: #824442

User image

Master
Denver
sparco - 2007-05-31 12:54 PM

Awesome race! Looks like improvement in a lot of areas. Too funny...if you could figure out that it was z-dog out there swimming, you're not doing too bad on sighting. That was a superfast swim despite the 'off course' moments.

Congrats on a great race...

DUDE!!! We were way out in the middle of the (small)lake and somehow we both stopped at the same time and then we said "Hi again!" and laughed, then corrected our course. Scott and I met right before the race, and we went into the water togethere and wished each other well. The funny part was that Scott said" Hope to see you on the course somewhere" and as soon as the swim started I assumed we "might" run into each other on the bike or run, not end up by ourselves in the middle of the lake!! It was totally hysterical, and accidental.
2007-05-31 4:52 PM

User image

Elite
Lakewood, CO
Hey Z - I don't know about you, but for me stopping had something to do with the guys in the boat yelling out - "YOU NEED TO GO LEFT"

Edited by jcjsc00 2007-05-31 4:52 PM
2007-06-01 7:51 AM

User image

Veteran
Ida, Michigan
Way to start the tri season strong--great race.

2007-06-06 7:38 PM
in reply to: #824538

User image

Pro
A farming town in MN
Z-dog - 2007-05-31 2:46 PM
sparco - 2007-05-31 12:54 PM

DUDE!!! We were way out in the middle of the (small)lake and somehow we both stopped at the same time and then we said "Hi again!" and laughed, then corrected our course. Scott and I met right before the race, and we went into the water togethere and wished each other well. The funny part was that Scott said" Hope to see you on the course somewhere" and as soon as the swim started I assumed we "might" run into each other on the bike or run, not end up by ourselves in the middle of the lake!! It was totally hysterical, and accidental.

That's journal material there...Guys, I was out in Parker for 2 weeks last summer visiting family.  Swam OW in the reservoir when I was there even.  I'll let you know when my next trip is.  We'll have to get together and train...

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Pelican Fest Triathlon Rss Feed