General Discussion Triathlon Talk » BTers Using BT Training Plans Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2007-05-29 11:46 AM

User image

Boulder, Colorado
Subject: BTers Using BT Training Plans

Hi Everyone -

I just wanted to get some feedback on the plans we have created for the 2007 season. I know lots of you have been using them at the Silver and Gold levels - and we would like some feedback on how they are working for you. Some of you have raced already this season so it would be good to hear how it's going.

Thanks!

Mike

2007-05-29 1:16 PM
in reply to: #820509

User image

Champion
Butler
Subject: RE: BTers Using BT Training Plans
I am not a silver or gold member but do use the basic minutes plan and it seems to be working pretty well.  My only concern is that it is designed from what I can tell for BOPers and I think they max times are too long for faster athletes and I personally don't know how I should adjust the plan.  Is this something that you get for the paying plans? 
2007-05-29 1:39 PM

User image

Champion
Albuquerque, New Mexico
Bronze member

I'm "using" the Silver Intermdediate OLY plan this year, after "using" the Gold HIM plan last year. 

Volumes don't appear to be very different between the two.  Part of the reason I am focused on the OLY this year is I didn't want to commit the time to train for a HIM again this summer (need to do some house projects I deferred last year).  Don't worry, I've skipped enough workouts to get the house stuff done.    I didn't have time to do 3-3.5 hour rides every weekend last year (but I did do at least 3-4 of them).  I also cannot routinely get all three workouts during a weekday (ala the last 3 Tuesdays). 

What would be nice (maybe impractical, but still, nice) would be a tool that allows me to enter paces from basebuilding/winter maintenance, target race distances and paces, average and peak hours to train, special exception weeks (e.g. graduation or vacation), and tailors a training plan for me (like hiring a coach, but less expensive).  In the retail world, they call this "mass customization." 

2007-05-29 1:43 PM
in reply to: #820762

User image

Expert
Dallas, TX
McFuzz - 2007-05-29 1:39 PM

What would be nice (maybe impractical, but still, nice) would be a tool that allows me to enter paces from basebuilding/winter maintenance, target race distances and paces, average and peak hours to train, special exception weeks (e.g. graduation or vacation), and tailors a training plan for me (like hiring a coach, but less expensive).  In the retail world, they call this "mass customization." 

Sort of like the Runner's World Smart Coach

Edited by sebjamesm 2007-05-29 1:44 PM
2007-05-29 2:37 PM

User image

Elite
Cheesehead, WI

yeah, I like that customized option.

Also, what I'd like to find is a way to fit into current programs when I've already been training. For instance, I'm currently training for a sprint. Actually, probably over training in that I'm doing more than what I did last year when I followed the Sprint Plan here on BT. I'm looking to do an Oly in August (YIKES!) but already have the base if you see what I mean. Thus...this brings us back to customized options.

Another thing as already mentioned, sometimes time is the commodity. It is hard to really stick to a 2x or 3x each per sport. Sometimes I can only get in 2 runs or 1 long run, 1 shortie, etc.. Perhaps if there was a tool to use to make sure minimum distances were met, we'd at least know we'd finish and then be able to tweak things for speed should time allow. Make sense?!

2007-05-29 3:05 PM
in reply to: #820762

User image

Champion
Fairport, NY
McFuzz - 2007-05-29 2:39 PM

What would be nice (maybe impractical, but still, nice) would be a tool that allows me to enter paces from basebuilding/winter maintenance, target race distances and paces, average and peak hours to train, special exception weeks (e.g. graduation or vacation), and tailors a training plan for me (like hiring a coach, but less expensive). In the retail world, they call this "mass customization."

In my world it's called "what I'm working on now". Wink

2007-05-29 3:10 PM

User image

Master
Working great.  Using the Oly plan.  I feel like I'm well prepared.
2007-05-29 3:30 PM
in reply to: #820967

User image

Champion
Albuquerque, New Mexico
Bronze member
marmadaddy - 2007-05-29 3:05 PM

What would be nice (maybe impractical, but still, nice) would be a tool that allows me to enter paces from basebuilding/winter maintenance, target race distances and paces, average and peak hours to train, special exception weeks (e.g. graduation or vacation), and tailors a training plan for me (like hiring a coach, but less expensive). In the retail world, they call this "mass customization."

Cool!  (I'll go back to minding my own business now...)

2007-05-29 3:32 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
East Aurora, NY
I'm using the Oly Beginner plan and feeling like I'm prepared for race day in 12 days.  I moved into this plan from the 8 - week swim focused winter maintance plan.  The swim focused maintenance plan really improved my swim and increased my endurance. 
2007-05-29 4:04 PM
in reply to: #820967

User image

Champion
The Green Between Philadelphia and Pittsburgh
marmadaddy - 2007-05-29 4:05 PM

You're not done yet? Just what do you do with your free time?
2007-05-29 4:13 PM

User image

Expert
Earth

I have just completed the sliver 12 week beginner sprint HR plan, I feel like I was challenged to complete the majority of the plan.  I was/am working more on the swim and run, less focus on the bike.

Having the ability to focus on a weak area would be great.  For me right now the area that I know I need work on is the run, I am MOP in the swim, MOP on the bike, and WBOP on the run.  So I have self modified the 12 week plan to get more running in.

I think the basic plans offer a great deal of varity, and are generally simple enough for anyone to follow.  One thing to think about might be for the biking and running workouts is to offer a "do spinnervul 10" or Runnervul 3 option. 

My challenge now is to try to get 2-3 hours of workouts in mid week, not something that is very doable most weeks.  I can ride, run and swim long workouts over the weekend, but doing a 40 minute run, 45 minute bike and 30 minute swim on a Thursday is pretty near impossible.  This is trying to use the silver 8 week Olympic plan.  It doesn't give an average hours per week, but I think it is still pretty clear.

2007-05-29 5:58 PM

User image

Boulder, Colorado

Thanks for all the replies - the custom plan idea was going to be my next thread. Like Marmadaddy said - 'he's working on it'  :-)

On the spinerval questions - although a good idea - I don't normally reccomend other coaches workouts for the simple fact that I don't know it's purpose - and I do KNOW the effort level required and the purpose of my workouts. It would be easy to post a plan that says: Mon/Wed/Fri - swim masters - Tues/Thurs: spinervals and runnervals, and Sat/Sun: ride long, run long - but that would be too easy and leaves too much open to intepretation. So - we are working on the custom plans - hope to have that out soon with a few other goodies, like power plans, phone conferencing with a live coach, and one-on-one calls with a coach. :-)

2007-05-29 7:00 PM

User image

Elite
the desert
I'm working on the 1/2 marathon plan. The only thing I don't like is that it counts the 'optional' runs in the weekly planned. The plan itself allows for swim/bike, but those are just additional training. (I end up with a bunch of negative numbers on the monthly calendar for my run). Not sure if this makes sense or not....
2007-05-29 7:18 PM

Perth

I used the gold 20 week Olympic distance plan, and then the Gold bridge from Oly to HIM plan

I have just completed my first tri season (Australia) and reached all of my goals "using" these plans, I use the term using, rather than following, with a wife, two girls under 4 and a full time job it is difficult to follow a plan, but I tried to stick to the workouts and theory in the plans.

The plans worked very well for me in my first season.

2007-05-29 7:28 PM

User image

Veteran
Oak Park, IL
Bronze member
I'm using the Beginner HIM and, although I'm still about 8 weeks out from race day, feel that it's working for me.  The volume of training seems about right and I'm definitely seeing progression in all three disciplines.  The only thing I think is missing is more time on the bike (especially some longer rides), but I'm trying to add those in on my own.  Thanks!
2007-05-29 7:47 PM

User image

Expert
Orlando, FL
I'm on about my third or 4th training plan from here, currently using the 16 week Oly 2x beginner I think. I usually download it into a spreadsheet and tweak it around a bit to fit my days available and life. I've always felt well prepared with these plans, even when I have to miss a number of workouts for various reasons. And I haven't felt 'overtrained' which has been a problem with other coaches/plans and me (I am wimpy if overworked and stressed, tend to get sick or injured).

So I guess I'd say that I have enjoyed the plans available to me here, and will love the customizable ones to come!

2007-05-29 7:51 PM

User image

Master
Southwest Chicago 'burbs
Bronze member

I'm also using the beginner HIM plan and feel that it's challenging, but within my ability.  Most of the swims take much longer than the scheduled time -- a 45 minute swim will routinely take me 1:15 -- but that's getting a little better.  I also agree with jschmitchicago -- a couple of longer bike rides I will do on my own, if for no other reason than to make me feel a little more at ease with the race distance.

What I'd like is more flexibility in combining plans.  In the middle of June I will also be officially starting marathon training.  I know I can load up a marathon plan and just import the runs, but that would overwrite the HIM runs, and I still want to have an idea of what the HIM plan calls for as I try to balance the two until the HIM is out of the way.

The idea of the custom training plan.... Yeee-HAW!!  Can't wait for that feature. 

2007-05-29 9:12 PM

User image

Master
Frisco, Texas

Hey Mike,

I'm currently using the Oly to HIM Bridge plan.  I used this plan last year to prepare for BSLT and I'm using it again this year to prepare for BSLT.  After BSLT I used the HIM to IM bridge to prepare for IMFL.

What I like about the plans:
- Run track workouts.  I think these have helped my run more than anything else.
- The brick workouts are helpful and seem to be placed correctly within the plan.
- 3 week period (versus 4 weeks); but see below.
- Big gear bike workouts.

Things to consider for writing future plans:
- This year I'm finding the Oly to HIM Bridge plan relatively easy, but I'm still making peformance gains.  
- Given this, could you write an 'advanced' plan for the athlete who has completed several HIMs or IMs?
- This year, I increased the volume of bike and run in the Oly to HIM Bridge plan in order to make it more challenging.
- Would a 4 week period be more challenging for the 'advanced' athlete?

TJ

2007-05-29 9:30 PM
in reply to: #821483

User image

Boulder, Colorado
zia_cyclist - 2007-05-29 8:12 PM

Hey Mike,

I'm currently using the Oly to HIM Bridge plan.  I used this plan last year to prepare for BSLT and I'm using it again this year to prepare for BSLT.  After BSLT I used the HIM to IM bridge to prepare for IMFL.

What I like about the plans:
- Run track workouts.  I think these have helped my run more than anything else.
- The brick workouts are helpful and seem to be placed correctly within the plan.
- 3 week period (versus 4 weeks); but see below.
- Big gear bike workouts.

Things to consider for writing future plans:
- This year I'm finding the Oly to HIM Bridge plan relatively easy, but I'm still making peformance gains.  
- Given this, could you write an 'advanced' plan for the athlete who has completed several HIMs or IMs?
- This year, I increased the volume of bike and run in the Oly to HIM Bridge plan in order to make it more challenging.
- Would a 4 week period be more challenging for the 'advanced' athlete?

TJ

TJ - Thanks for the feedback. If the plans are easier see if you can tolerate more volume OR if that's not a reality then more quality workouts - as in more intervals or some longer rides at a higher effort. If you are using power this is easy to quantify - your IF will be higher on a given ride or a higher TSS score - but if you are using HR, you can always try to hold longer periods of Z2/3 at the end of rides. I know Pros that use 3 week blocks and I personally feel for an AG who is a working stiff, the 3 week block is the way to go. You can get in a lot more quality, and even on that 3rd, easier week, I would cut back the volume for 3-4 days and then have a 'normal' weekend of higher volume training. Great questions - I can certainly write an advanced plan. I hope I answered your questions.

2007-05-30 6:24 AM

User image

Expert
Sarnia, Ontario

I've used a few different plans here on BT.  I am currently using the beginner Olympic 8wk HR program.  I have liked all the different plans that I have used.

One consistent question I have though is with the swim workouts.  They don't seem to put in enough information about how hard you should be working during the sets.  Some information is there, but a lot of it is missing.  I often find myself asking "how hard is this set supposed to be?"

2007-05-30 6:34 AM
in reply to: #821687

User image

Boulder, Colorado
KRCSWO - 2007-05-30 5:24 AM

I've used a few different plans here on BT.  I am currently using the beginner Olympic 8wk HR program.  I have liked all the different plans that I have used.

One consistent question I have though is with the swim workouts.  They don't seem to put in enough information about how hard you should be working during the sets.  Some information is there, but a lot of it is missing.  I often find myself asking "how hard is this set supposed to be?"

Ken - post your specific question to the Gold Forum. Most swim workouts are based on T-pace - so just post up in the Gold Forum and the coaches will help you out. Thanks!

2007-05-30 7:01 AM

User image

Champion
Nashville, TN

Mike

Last year I used the beginner HIM plan for about 8 weeks en route to my first HIM.  And I finished exactly where I thought I would.  My only concern was that I didn't feel as prepared for the run. 

This year I am also using the beginner IM plan in prep for CDA.  Well I have survived the plan as I am onto recovery and taper!!!  I do feel adequately prepared. 

Here are a few items I would like to see in the BT plans

--I am very intrigued in the customization options
--I would like to see more coach commentary regarding tempo/interval workouts (how high should I allow my HR to rise....to LT, beyond?
--During intense weeks, it would be nice to know which workouts are KEY workouts (not giving me a copout, but we all know hitting 100% of the workouts are difficult some weeks.  I would rather know where to concentrate rather than going for a mindless, bad 75 minute spin just because the plan calls for it)
--I would like to see larger volume during the base period (this might be the difference between a beginner and more advanced plan.  But looking back, I wish I had a larger base in my training)
--Overall, I do find the plans easy to follow and that is greatly appreciated

As I stated, I do feel adequately prepared for IM.  Knowing that I am using a beginner plan, I didn't expect it to hit all my expectations or be tailored to my specific level of fitness.  I will add, that I did an HIM in the middle of training and felt MORE than prepared and the results demonstrated my level of fitness.  I will report back in 3.5 weeks and let you know if the plan worked!

2007-05-30 7:45 AM

User image

Expert
Earth

Mike,
I was thinking about this post last night.  One of the things I thought about is time verses distance.  Last year I did the beginner Sprint workout from Jan or Feb - May (not sure what time frame) when I was running or biking the plan would call for a 20 minute run.  At the time that was 1.5-1.75 miles, but I could see someone who is a runner being able to run 2-2.5 miles during that time.  The issue is someone following the plan and only doing the time, not trying to do a distance could possibly complete the plan yet on race day not be adiquately trained because their race is a 5K race.

Is there a way to add a distance variable to the plans?  Run 20 minutes OR 2 miles (3 miles).  Bike 60 minutes or 17 miles, that would allow those slower folks to cover the distance, and not penalize someone who is faster.  I know the longer workout should cover the distances. 

Maybe as part of the variable plan you would complete your biking speed, running speed and swimming speed.  This would tell you about how long you need to work to cover the distances you will need.

2007-05-30 7:52 AM

User image

Elite
Hurst, Texas

This is probably a dumb question, but I am a bronze member and using the Beginner 1/2 IM plan to prepare for RedMan after taking WAY too much time off after IMCDA last year.  Is the plan different for bronze members than if I upgrade to silver or gold? 

I do agree that the swim workout times are geared for the much more "fishlike" athletes among us.    I'm usually several minutes longer than the schedule says.

Thanks for the plans...really appreciate all the work that goes into them. 

2007-05-30 8:00 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Hi Mike,

Well I am using the Silver Beginner Spring 12 week program in preparation for my first sprint in August. I am only on week 4, but I have seen a huge increase in my overall fitness. At the beginning of the training I was already ok on the bike and I figured I could have done the run if really pushed, the swim was a different story.

I already feel very prepared for the sprint and it isn't even until August. My swim still is suffering quite a bit and it is something that I am going to focus on alot during the winter training to try and improve on before next season.

As far as challenged, yea I feel like most of the time the the training sessions are challenging. Some days I feel like I could have gone longer or harder, but I don't. Since this is my first time training for any type of race it is difficult for me to compare it with anything. I will be sure to post back after my races and let you know how they worked out for me. I have two 5k races scheduled in July just to see where I am at with the run.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » BTers Using BT Training Plans Rss Feed  

of 2