of 2

2007-05-30 8:43 AM
in reply to: #820509

User image

Expert
Herndon VA
Subject: RE: BTers Using BT Training Plans

Hi Mike,

Not sure if you need more feedback but I did the first 6 weeks of the Bike focus plan, took a week off and started the 20 week IM plan (gold plan, I think).  I found both plans very useful.  I think doing the bike focus plan helped a lot in getting ready for the IM training.  I found it challenging and the perfect way to get back into training after an easy Nov/Dec.  I'm into week 13 of the IM plan in getting ready for Lake Placid.  The swimmnig and running have been spot on for me, especially the swimming.  The mix of different types of swims has helped tremendously.  I've dropped my T times 10 seconds a 100 yards.  The bike I think could use more long rides.  Although I feel a lot better on the bike even if I'm not that much faster.  The bottom line is that I feel that the plan is preparing me for the race and doing it without me getting hurt.  I'm sure that if I would have tried this on my own, I would have gone too hard, not had enough rest days and would not have periodized.  

Ernie

2007-05-30 9:11 AM
in reply to: #821750

User image

Boulder, Colorado
wsm9363 - 2007-05-30 6:45 AM

Mike,
I was thinking about this post last night.  One of the things I thought about is time verses distance.  Last year I did the beginner Sprint workout from Jan or Feb - May (not sure what time frame) when I was running or biking the plan would call for a 20 minute run.  At the time that was 1.5-1.75 miles, but I could see someone who is a runner being able to run 2-2.5 miles during that time.  The issue is someone following the plan and only doing the time, not trying to do a distance could possibly complete the plan yet on race day not be adiquately trained because their race is a 5K race.

Is there a way to add a distance variable to the plans?  Run 20 minutes OR 2 miles (3 miles).  Bike 60 minutes or 17 miles, that would allow those slower folks to cover the distance, and not penalize someone who is faster.  I know the longer workout should cover the distances. 

Maybe as part of the variable plan you would complete your biking speed, running speed and swimming speed.  This would tell you about how long you need to work to cover the distances you will need.

This is a great point and something we discussed at length when creating the plans. The problem being that one hour could be 12 miles for one person, or 24 for another. This is the same situation for the swimming. If I put down swim 3000 yds in 50 minutes, most people will think I am nuts, while others will say its right on, so its a tough call and that's why I think we can give you a range, but not really a definite mileage. If there were a way in the plan to say 60 minute ride - 12-24 miles depending in ability, I think that would be a bonus.

The other factor is that if you can run 20 minutes in one of our plans, I can pretty much gaurantee you can run the 5k in the race. I do like creating plans by minutes so athletes aren't thinking "the plan called for 2.5 miles in 20 minutes, so I have to really push hard today" when in reality the run was supposed to be a Zone 2 20' run. Make sense?

2007-05-30 9:40 AM

User image

Philadelphia, south of New York and north of DC

I've been using the Olympic Basic and plan on continuing with the D3 plans through the rest of this year and into next year's HIM training.

I particularly like the swim sessions, although they are sometimes taking me up to 30 percent more time to complete the distance. After talking it over with Amy a bit, I decided to do the stated distance in the swim, rather than time, in the hopes of bringing my swim time down eventually.

I generally like doing strength training, but I've found it very difficult to fit in so I've cut it out during the 12 week Oly plan. I also like your core workouts, but I've found it hard to fit those in as well.

As an older athlete, I like the three week cycle.

Some customization of the plans would be excellent. Can't wait to see what you guys come up with.

It seems that, in general, plans with a day off during the week tend to have those rest days fall on the same day of the week, for example on Friday's or Monday's. It would be nice to be able to set the rest days to other days of the week and then have the plan schedule flow around that. For example, I like to take Sunday's off.

For now, I just rearrange my sessions for the week. It's easy enough, but I'm never sure if I'm setting up the order of sessions during the week in a way that is optimal.

It would also be nice if the comments for the day's sessions were posted in the particular discipline's comment box, rather than in the general blog box. Having them in the general box makes it harder to move them to the appropriate day when I rearrange the schedule.

All in all I'm very satisfied.

Edited by dontracy 2007-05-30 9:42 AM
2007-05-30 10:03 AM
in reply to: #821968

User image

Boulder, Colorado
dontracy - 2007-05-30 8:40 AM

I also like your core workouts, but I've found it hard to fit those in as well.

Don't skip core! :-)

dontracy - 2007-05-30 8:40 AM

As an older athlete, I like the three week cycle.

Some customization of the plans would be excellent. Can't wait to see what you guys come up with.

It seems that, in general, plans with a day off during the week tend to have those rest days fall on the same day of the week, for example on Friday's or Monday's. It would be nice to be able to set the rest days to other days of the week and then have the plan schedule flow around that. For example, I like to take Sunday's off.

For now, I just rearrange my sessions for the week. It's easy enough, but I'm never sure if I'm setting up the order of sessions during the week in a way that is optimal.

>>>This is where the customization will come in. :-)

2007-05-30 10:25 AM

User image

Dallas, TX
A few things I would add/change;

1. Be able to print a month's worth of workouts on less pages. I keep one at he gym, in the car, at home etc. so I don't forget what I am suppose to do. Less pages would be good.

2. Be able to select your rest day. I was able to eventually get my rest day to the one I wanted by playing with the end date of the plan, but now the end date is not on my race day. I realize I could probably just mentally do this, but man, if it's on that piece of paper and I skip it I feel sick all day.

3. Maybe there is a way to do this, but I haven't figure it out. Be able to place a B race into the plan and have the plan taper me a bit before the B race. Again, if I'm scheduled to do something and I don't it's pyschologically debilitating.

4. Have the plan actually roll me out of bed at 4:45 (am). Or does the Gold level do that? I'm only silver.

2007-05-30 10:38 AM
in reply to: #822119

User image

Boulder, Colorado

ckralich - 2007-05-30 9:25 AM A few things I would add/change; 1. Be able to print a month's worth of workouts on less pages. I keep one at he gym, in the car, at home etc. so I don't forget what I am suppose to do. Less pages would be good. 2. Be able to select your rest day. I was able to eventually get my rest day to the one I wanted by playing with the end date of the plan, but now the end date is not on my race day. I realize I could probably just mentally do this, but man, if it's on that piece of paper and I skip it I feel sick all day. 3. Maybe there is a way to do this, but I haven't figure it out. Be able to place a B race into the plan and have the plan taper me a bit before the B race. Again, if I'm scheduled to do something and I don't it's pyschologically debilitating. 4. Have the plan actually roll me out of bed at 4:45 (am). Or does the Gold level do that? I'm only silver.

If we get the custom plans set up the way I want, we should be able to do all these things except 4 - you need a better alarm clock for that!

2007-05-30 11:21 AM
in reply to: #822026

User image

Philadelphia, south of New York and north of DC
mikericci -

Yea, I hear you... (and I'm listening... )

I think I just need to get a swiss ball and keep it at work, rather than try to get it done after my swims at the Y. 

2007-05-30 12:39 PM

User image

Master
Atlanta, GA

Just wanted to second a few of the great suggestions that would help me too.  I’m currently doing the Olymipc-3x balanced…I wanted to do a Silver plan but after looking at them, I thought there was going to be too much re-arranging to fit my personal schedule.  SO…

-          Being able to select your off day would be AWESOME!  I have been adjusting my schedule manually but that’s kinda tedious each month.

-          What if there was an option to choose which days you wanted to train in a certain discipline?  For example, my tri club always does a group ride and run on Thursday…so could I tell the plan that I always want my second longest ride that day of the week??

-          Adding B races to the schedule would be great…even if they are not races we’d taper for

You guys are doing an awesome job!  I can’t wait to see what’s in-store for us next!

2007-05-30 12:42 PM
in reply to: #822278

User image

dontracy - 2007-05-30 9:21 AM
mikericci -

I think I just need to get a swiss ball and keep it at work, rather than try to get it done after my swims at the Y. 

sorry,... what?  did mike say something???? 

I used the HIM plan for California.  I did something like 90% of the distance, although I didn't always do the drills... well, usually not.   Nor did I do enough core.  and it bit me on the California run (I am doing yoga now....)

2007-05-30 12:48 PM
in reply to: #822441

User image

Boulder, Colorado
CourtneyM - 2007-05-30 11:39 AM

Just wanted to second a few of the great suggestions that would help me too.  I’m currently doing the Olymipc-3x balanced…I wanted to do a Silver plan but after looking at them, I thought there was going to be too much re-arranging to fit my personal schedule.  SO…

<!--[if !supportLists]-->-          <!--[endif]-->Being able to select your off day would be AWESOME!  I have been adjusting my schedule manually but that’s kinda tedious each month.

<!--[if !supportLists]-->-          <!--[endif]-->What if there was an option to choose which days you wanted to train in a certain discipline?  For example, my tri club always does a group ride and run on Thursday…so could I tell the plan that I always want my second longest ride that day of the week??

<!--[if !supportLists]-->-          <!--[endif]-->Adding B races to the schedule would be great…even if they are not races we’d taper for

You guys are doing an awesome job!  I can’t wait to see what’s in-store for us next!

Courtney- your ideas are exactly where I am going with this. Pick your day off, add in a B and C races, and schedule around group workouts. This is time consuming but I think it will be well worth the price to the athlete to have semi-custom plans tailored to your needs. :-)

2007-05-30 12:49 PM
in reply to: #822450

User image

Boulder, Colorado
ChrisM - 2007-05-30 11:42 AM
dontracy - 2007-05-30 9:21 AM
mikericci -

sorry,... what?  did mike say something???? 

I used the HIM plan for California.  I did something like 90% of the distance, although I didn't always do the drills... well, usually not.   Nor did I do enough core.  and it bit me on the California run (I am doing yoga now....)

You have still made an incredible improvement over the last several month. And yes, a few core workouts a week would have helped you. What drills did you skip? Run or bike?

2007-05-30 12:55 PM

User image

Veteran
Longmont

I am starting the 20 week HR based marathon plan at week 19 this week, so I will try and provide some feedback once I get into it.

Mike,

Thanks a ton for taking time away from your other athletes to help out here!

Devin 

2007-05-30 12:58 PM
in reply to: #822465

User image

You have still made an incredible improvement over the last several month. And yes, a few core workouts a week would have helped you. What drills did you skip? Run or bike?

Thanks.  Mostly bike, and really because riding in a group, it's hard to do your own thing -- actually impossible.   The times I usually exceeded by a good amount.   I followed the run plan more or less, whether it was hills or fartleks, etc.  Just moved the days around usually.

2007-05-30 1:04 PM
in reply to: #822479

User image

Boulder, Colorado
co_tri_guy - 2007-05-30 11:55 AM

I am starting the 20 week HR based marathon plan at week 19 this week, so I will try and provide some feedback once I get into it.

Mike,

Devin 

Thanks Devin. Good luck with the marathon.

2007-05-30 1:05 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
East Aurora, NY
I was thinking more about your initial question.  One thing that popped in my mind this morning was the ability to identify what each specific week of the training plan is suppossed to do (e.g. base, build, taper, etc).  Also it would be great to be able to identify the really "key" workouts for each week so if I have a day where I feel "off" and it happens to fall on a key workout I can try to move around the week a little so I wouldn't miss the key workout. 
2007-05-30 2:33 PM
in reply to: #822512

User image

Veteran
Longmont

Mike,

I wanted to bring this to your attention in case there is something I do not understand in how these plans are setup or if this is actually a mistake. I posted this also in the logs forum.

Thanks again,

Devin

When I look at this hourly breakdown, I get different numbers than when I import it into my log. Has anyone else seen this?

From my planned logs for weeks 1-3, I get this:

Week 1 - 5 hours

Week 2 - 5:55

Week 3 - 3:35

Even with the strength training, the times are still off.

From the plan overview:

Phase

Week #:

Weekly
Hours:

Long
Run:

Race Pace
Runs

Weights:

Base 1

1:30

Tempo

A

1:40

Hilly

AA

1:15

Hilly

AA

mikericci - 2007-05-30 1:04 PM
co_tri_guy - 2007-05-30 11:55 AM

Mike,

Devin

Thanks Devin. Good luck with the marathon.

2007-05-30 2:40 PM

User image

Veteran
Longmont

Mike,

As for the previous post about times not matching up, I got this from Ron.

We have updated these plans throughout last year.  Truthfully, I totally forgot to update the plan description table which are only in a few of the plans.  Next week is filling up!  I will update you when when it's updated.

2007-05-30 3:56 PM

User image

Expert
Portland, OR
I'm using the Beginner 20 Week IM plan and like Aaron said I'll let you know how it works out in 3.5 weeks but in the meantime.

I love the plan! I am a data nut so having the ability to see my progress and all the #s and monitor others training for tips and ideas, wow it's just the coolest thing ever.

I'm a BOP'er looking to make all the cut-offs and finish happy so I found the focus on time not distance definitely helped me mentally because I was able to say run for 3 hours and know that translated to 15 or 16 miles.

I thought the plan was pretty swim heavy and I wanted to focus more on the bike so I just adjusted a few of the swim times each month and then added time to the longer bikes.

I also found the ability to move workouts around between days has been fairly easy and I was able to adapt the plan to fit my travel and life schedule.

Keep up the great work!
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » BTers Using BT Training Plans Rss Feed  

of 2