General Discussion Race Reports! » Hickory Jaycees Charity Chase Half Marathon Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Hickory Jaycees Charity Chase Half Marathon - RunHalf Marathon

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Hickory, North Carolina
United States
HIckory Jaycees
68F / 20C
Overcast
Total Time = 2h 21m 51s
Overall Rank = 216/281
Age Group = 40-44
Age Group Rank = 22/28
Pre-race routine:

Not much sleep.....up @ 4:30, bowl of oatmeal, glass of tea. Drive 35 miles to race. Arrive 30 min before race, just before registration closes.

By mself as other family members had other obligations/couldn't get up this early. Not a problem though; I understand. Hmmm, let's see now: I don't know anyone here, no personal support, and a little nervous about hills and lack of sleep the last 2 nights. Did I make the right decision to go from first 10k race to a very hilly half mary 6 wks later ? I don't worry about it because I have a basic base in and several long runs of 8+ miles with 3-4 10+...put that worry to rest. Also planned to run 8 min/walk 2 min.
Event warmup:

no real running warmup; easy stretching.

Met LKN-TRI.....he says he may actually run a slower time than expected, around 1:50. I laugh and tell him I won't see him again until finish if he wants to wait around a long time.

Run
  • 2h 21m 51s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 10m 50s  min/mile
Comments:

First 1/2 mile flat, go by a church (I need prayer), then down steep hill by cemetery. I am happy about leaving cemetry behind as well as knowing I won't have to run back up this hill..... until I hear someone say "You don't know this course ?...we run back up this hill @ mile 11"......AAAHHHHHHHH. Thru neighborhood, nice view by lake then onto bike trail. Well, this should be flat.........WRONG AGAIN. Oh My ---... what moron designed this ? It's not a bike path it's a freaking mtn. Next it's back toward downtown... then the hill comes @ around mile 7-8....by this time I'm angry at the designer of this town. I comment to a police officer that I will flatten this dam town. (Probably not a good thing to say in the terror era but it makes me feel better.) Next it's to the Finsh Line......oops, finishers to the left, others to the right and on to mile 9.....hmm, if I slide to the left and finish around 1:40, who'll know ?, there's no chip for splits. Ok, just kidding.

Getting close to the end and then at mile 11 comes the hill I've been hearing about.....there's no way in hell I'm going up that. Meet a couple of runners and we talk ourselves up the "mtn".

Just about done..wait, back up Cemetery Hill... this is a cruel joke played by race planners.....repeat previous comment about flattening this dam town. Get to mile 13 and tell myself to finish with everything left so I sprint to the Finish. Get medal and actually warm down.

What would you do differently?:

sleep, sleep, sleep, and maybe run this course beforehand.

Very happy with my decision making and espcially negative splitting the second half of race, with the last mile being the fastest.
Post race
Warm down:

proud of myself; received medal then immediately jogged slowly for another .1 mile to loosen up right calf then stretched a little.

Grab a banana, orange slice and Gatorade. Cheered on some finishers then drive home and it's all done by 10:30.... not bad at all.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

lack of sleep, stress of dealing with Mom's hospitalization....oh, and a FEW HILLS.

Some speed work would have helped a little but didn't want to chance re-injuring the ankle.

Event comments:

Nothing like a first half marathon. I had driven the first half of this course during Lyn's soccer tournament so I knew that part was very hilly but had no idea how hilly the whole course was.

With an adequate mileage base in, motivation, and good decision-making, completed a very hard course fairly easily, with something left.

I knew I wasn't going to break 2 hrs on this course, so I could care less time was almost 11 min/mile. This race was a means to an end, a step toward a bigger goal: (full mary, half Iron, full Iron ?). When I look at it like that I am very happy with today. Plus, in the end it really was a lot of fun. Fun is good !

Last updated: 2007-05-28 12:00 AM
Running
02:21:51 | 13.1 miles | 10m 50s  min/mile
Age Group: 22/28
Overall: 216/281
Performance: Average
none, thank goodness. (This would have made me quit if I would have known heart rate).
Course: thru downtown Hickory, then alongside lake, up a bike trail(first mtn), back downtown, run by finish line (cruelty at this point), by Lenoir Rhyne College, by High School (2nd mtn), up cemetery Hill, Finish. (If they ever had a full mary here I would file charges against race planners.)
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %?
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Too hard
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 3

{postbutton}
2007-06-03 5:44 AM

User image

Master
Salisbury, North Carolina
Subject: Hickory Jaycees Charity Chase Half Marathon

2007-06-03 7:01 AM
in reply to: #827079

User image

Master
Subject: RE: Hickory Jaycees Charity Chase Half Marathon
waiting on site to post race data.
2007-06-03 10:28 AM

User image

Expert
Charlotte, NC
Congrats on your first half-mary Craig--it's a great feeling!
2007-06-03 11:17 AM
in reply to: #827162

User image

Master
Thanks, Eric...yep, it's a great feeling !.... and the ankle actually made it through ok.

Great job on your tri yesterday...... I bet that was one tough Oly.

Congrats sir !
2007-06-03 8:03 PM

User image

Veteran
Charlotte, NC
Way to go. You won the mental battle on those hills. Liked your race report, made me laugh, cause I know the feeling. Haven't done a 1/2 mary yet, but I hate hills.
2007-06-04 9:26 AM

User image

Awesome job! Great time for your first 1/2 & it was all uphill. I hope I can do half as good for my first marathon. If you want a great fast flat 1/2 marathon try The Tybee Island 1/2. It's a great medium size race with tons of support!

2007-06-04 9:20 PM
in reply to: #827582

User image

Master
Thank you both ! It WAS actually fun, even before the finish.

Gygy (sp?), were you at Cane Creek that Sunday morning when I showed up late ? ...the morning everyone had chain issues ? Just trying to remember if we met.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Hickory Jaycees Charity Chase Half Marathon Rss Feed