Vineman Triatlon
70sF / 0C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 15m 52s
Overall Rank = 46/115
Age Group = F30-F39
Age Group Rank = 20/42
Pre-race routine:

Since the race started at 5PM (wow not waking up at the crack of down to get to transition was awesome)! Warm up was hiking in the morning with the dogs and walking around the expo at Escape from Alcatraz. Almost wound up knocking myself out with the bike rack. While putting my dry-cleaning in the car I was not thinking about the bike rack attached the trunk. So I slammed the trunk closed and the bike rack hit me in the head. Luckily I had a hat on so the brim of the hat took most of the impact, but the bridge of my nose is still sore today. Felt like an idiot! Drove to the race site and got there around 3:15.
Event warmup:

None, other than walking my bike to transition and chatting with some of fellow TARTS (tri-team: Totally Awesome Racing & Training Sisters). Got in the water about 2 minutes before the start of my wave to adjust to the water temp since I swam without a wetsuit. Also met Gina and chatted a bit, always nice meeting a fellow BTer!!!
Swim
  • 06m 14s
  • 440 yards
  • 01m 25s / 100 yards
Comments:

I'm not sure why, but the race results are only giving Men and Women but not doing a mixed ranking.

Anyway, the swim went pretty well, but it was getting a bit choppy in the bay. Swallowed some salty water, yuck. There were a lot of arms and legs flying. Got hit a few times, I really hate people doing the breast stroke anywhere near me. I swam further from the buoy line to avoid some of the mess, but it did not help much. Overall swim felt really good. When I exited the water someone yelled, "damn, that girl is hard-core, no wetsuit!". Just laughed to myself and ran to my bike.
What would you do differently?:

Start closer to the front
Transition 1
  • 02m 4s
Comments:

Hands were shaking from the swim and could not get my socks on or my helmet clipped on. Right out of transition I could not get my left shoe clicked in. I think the shims under the cleat are giving me problems, even on training rides it takes a while for the left shoe to clip-in. Stood there trying to clip-in, cursing my shoe!

Start training without out socks for sprint distance races, don't think my feet could survive it for anything longer. Take my shoe over to the tri-shop and have him fix the shim/cleat so I can click in easier.
Bike
  • 37m 14s
  • 9 miles
  • 14.50 mile/hr
Comments:

There was headwind, tailwind and crosswinds at different points along the course! I HATE wind! The course out of transition sucks. Basically it is uphill and then a 180 degree turn to the left. It's a narrow path and dangerous. The girl next to me fell riding up the hill. Yikes! The course was hilly and lots of switch-backs. I had a good ride and passed people on the bike, yippee!

Toward the end of the course it's down-hill and then a left turn into the park. I almost had a huge crash here. I had lots of speed going down-hill, more speed than I thought because when I started to break the whole front end started to wobble. I thought to myself, "oh no, I'm going to crash my beautiful tri-bike!" and the second thought "this is going to hurt bad" Somehow I recovered about 3 feet shy of crashing into a cop and a side-walk. The girl behind me yelled, "Nice save. Actually, that was a really nice save".

At the top of the hill down into T2, we had to dismount and walk the bike down. My hands were shaking again, but this time it was from my very close-call on the bike. I should have tried to undo my shoes while on the bike and hop off rather than dismount and take them off, but having never done that in training, decided not to. Walking the bike down the hill while carrying my shoes sucked.

Glad I recovered on the bike at the end. Just saw my rankings, wow!!

Get out the bike shoes while riding and hop off.
Transition 2
  • 01m 16s
Comments:

Shaking hands, could not get my helmet unclipped, also made it a little harder to get my shoes on.

Hopefully next year I will avoid the close-call on the wipeout and my hands will be steady :)
Run
  • 29m 1s
  • 3 miles
  • 09m 40s  min/mile
Comments:

Out of t2 are a bunch of steps. Just walked up them the best I could. Quads were a bit tight from the bike, but I think it was from all of the hills. I told myself toward the end of the bike that I would not walk the run. Although I walked the steps, there was no way I could have run them any faster than walking them, so in my mind that does not count as walking. On most of the run I felt really good. Kept telling myself this is only a 3 mile run, nothing compared to the half-IM I have next month. Only had 3-5 people pass me on the run, which for me is pretty good. At the turn-around I looked at my watch and saw I was at the 1-hour mark and thought I could finsh in 1:15. Kept my pace steady and on the way back into the park it's uphill, of course! So I shortened my stride and there is a guy right behind me panting in my ear, and I was getting annoyed. Of course at the crest of the hill he passes me, thankfully because I could not take the noise anymore! Then I suddenly get pissed that I have listened to the panting and he is going to cross the finish line before me, so I sprint to the end and pass him. Glad I did because I was able to finish before the click read 1:16, yipee! Oh, no picture were taken at the finsih line, so I did not mes that up for him.

This was a good run for me, no acid reflux issues and no cramping...so no complaints here on the run. This was my best run for me during a tri since I got into this last year. I am a slow runner, but I'm working on it.
Post race
Warm down:

Saw my husband Matt, got a kiss and hug, then stretched. It still amazes me that he is willing to touch me when I am a sweaty mess! Although maybe he will chage his mind when I finish my half next month :)

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Great run for me!

Event comments:

Great race! Love the 5pm start time. The only reason I did not give this race a 5 rating is the hill in and out of transition, it's very dangerous.

Last updated: 2007-04-27 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:06:14 | 440 yards | 01m 25s / 100yards
Age Group: 39/42
Overall: 52/115
Performance: Good
Suit: BT Tri-Site
Course: Horseshoe shape
Start type: Wade Plus:
Water temp: 65F / 18C Current: Medium
200M Perf. Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Average
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 02:04
Performance: Below average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed: Bad
Biking
00:37:14 | 09 miles | 14.50 mile/hr
Age Group: 34/42
Overall: 38/115
Wind: Cross-winds
Course:
Road: Potholes  Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks:
T2
Time: 01:16
Overall: Below average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Bad
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal Average
Running
00:29:01 | 03 miles | 09m 40s  min/mile
Age Group: 49/42
Overall: 64/115
Course: Out and Back course
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2007-06-03 1:31 PM

User image

Pro
NorCal
Subject: Vineman Showdown at Sundown

2007-06-03 6:13 PM
in reply to: #827244

User image

Master
San Mateo, CA
Subject: RE: Vineman Showdown at Sundown
Good God! You swam without a wet suit? Good job
2007-06-03 11:51 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Bay Area- California
Abbie, you did great!  When you passed me on the bike you were flying!!  Way to go and glad you had a good run.
2007-06-03 11:55 PM

User image

Pro
NorCal
Alex- Actually, without the wetsuit the swim was not horrible. After the first few strokes, it's not bad at all.

Gina-
I was "in the zone" on the bike, and really enjoying the downhills

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Vineman Showdown at Sundown Rss Feed