USAT Best of the US/City of Dexter
65F / 18C
Overcast
Total Time = 1h 37m
Overall Rank = 97/103
Age Group = 55-60
Age Group Rank = 12/12
Pre-race routine:

swam 1/2 the route then night before, and drove the bike.
Up at 5:00 two HB eggs, orange, a few mini wheats.
At the course at 6:30 - warm.
Event warmup:

10 min bike to warm up then lots of stretching. I did quite a bit of walking around to stay loose, and just see what was going on. Really enjoyed visiting with everyone. Seemed to be effective. Kept my little jacket on almost till my wave started to keep
Swim
  • 11m 20s
  • 500 meters
  • 02m 16s / 100 meters
Comments:

I was able to pick a tall tree to aim at, and very soon settled into a very nice routine, easy swim sighting every six or seven strokes. I only ran into one other person. I passed several. On the return leg I had a little trouble finding a good target to sight on, and swam a bit wide. I did mix strokes up a bit, and that felt good and made it a bit more like normal practice. Back stroke was nice the sun had come out by the time I did it.
What would you do differently?:

Try to pick swim targets the day before. (now that I know one needs such a thing. Start more in the middle of the pack - I'm a fairly strong swimmer. Don't wait till after ski season to start training.
Transition 1
  • 02m 48s
Comments:

not too fast, but went as rehearsed. the ride jersey stuck just a little to my wet back.

I need to get a tri top. I think I'll try short socks, although the long ones were probably good for the off pavement run. Not injured so I can run into and out of T1
Bike
  • 46m 24s
  • 12.43 miles
  • 16.07 mile/hr
Comments:

Training for hills would be a good idea. I noticed the riders coming back very fast, so I paced myself a bit more on the uphill so I could take advantage of the gravity assist on the way back. Coming back was FUN! max speed 36mph. I got passed a couple of times, and passed about five. I really concentrated on getting lots to drink on the bike.

Train hills. The last couple of miles I probably could have pushed it a bit harder. Carry only one water bottle so I have room in the rack for the one handed up after the turn around
Transition 2
  • 01m 21s
Comments:

T2 felt good. I do believe that biking then stretching before the race allowed my legs to be more loose (so as not to pull injured muscles) when I got off the bike.

As my legs/knees get better I should be able to actually run into T2 with the bike. I didn't want to pull anything so I walked through both T1 and T2. Running would speed things up considerably.
Run
  • 36m 39s
  • 3.11 miles
  • 11m 47s  min/mile
Comments:

Due to injuries I was not able to train for the run. Stupid I know. My stratagy was to walk a bunch and only jog easily, and a limited amount. I stopped to stretch easy twice in the first 1/2 mile to avoid pulling any of the previously injured muscles - That worked. The injured muscles protested just a bit, but held up well. My knee hurt some while walking and some while running, but at times was just fine. The key point was the knee pain didn't increase, so I gradually ran more and more. In the mid section I probably walked about 5 min. Probably ran 80% of the course. Finished strong with no pain. And it seems to be good today - the day after. I was real pleased just to finish the run.

Train running? See a sports doctor about the leg/knee problems
Post race
Warm down:

drink lots of water. Walk around the venue quite a bit - go put bike away. After 1/2 hour did some stretching.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Lack of hill triaining on bike. Lack of run training.

Event comments:

I really enjoyed the venue, and the people were super friendly and helpful. I like the chip timing (assuming they post the results). I enjoyed all the free food after the race. Ice cream, lots of fruit, ice cream, lots and lots of water and drinks, and milk, did I mention ice cream? My first open water swim was a total success. The water was a very nice temperature. No wetsuit - and I don't like cold water. The bike course is rough in places. I liked the cross country aspect of the run. I'm planning to do this race again next year.

Last updated: 2007-05-24 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:11:20 | 500 meters | 02m 16s / 100meters
Age Group: 5/12
Overall: 32/103
Performance: Good
Suit: speedo
Course: out and back. Start spread out along the dock. I chose to take a very outside line, and let everyone start out before I started.
Start type: Wade Plus:
Water temp: 75F / 24C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Average Drafting: Bad
Waves: Navigation: Average
Rounding: Average
T1
Time: 02:48
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: No
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
00:46:24 | 12.43 miles | 16.07 mile/hr
Age Group: 11/12
Overall: 91/103
Wind: Some
Course: Out and back. Out is mostly uphill especially the last couple of miles. Comming back is very fun. 1st gear for me going up the last hill at about 8mph. .
Road: Rough Dry Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Average Hills: Average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:21
Overall: Below average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Bad
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:36:39 | 03.11 miles | 11m 47s  min/mile
Age Group: 12/12
Overall: 97/103
Course: A loop around the fish hatchery, on every running surface you can imagine. paved, gravel, dirt, rocky, grassy. Fairly flat, senic for this part of the country.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %0
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2007-06-03 2:22 PM

User image

Expert
Santa Fe, New Mexico
Silver member
Subject: Milkman Triathlon

2007-06-04 3:34 PM
in reply to: #827272

Elite
Subject: RE: Milkman Triathlon

Congratulations, Triathlete! Look forward to meeting you at one of these regional races.

2007-06-04 3:55 PM

User image

Veteran
Albuquerque, NM
Great job Jasha!!! It was really nice meeting you and hope to see you at some more regional races.
2007-06-05 6:58 PM

User image

Expert
Littleton, CO

Good job on your race! It looks like it went smoothly for you!

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Milkman Triathlon Rss Feed