General Discussion Race Reports! » Rochester Spring Classic Duathlon - F1 Format Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Rochester Spring Classic Duathlon - F1 Format - F-1 Duathlon

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Mendon, New York
United States
Yellowjacket Racing
65F / 18C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 54m 9s
Overall Rank = 60/101
Age Group = Female
Age Group Rank = 6/20
Pre-race routine:

Woke up earlier than the alarm was set for. In fact, I jolted awake and shot up to look at the clock, sure I'd overslept. Finally got up a few minutes later, showered, dressed, made coffee, found the kids' clothes, got their breakfasts, ate Raisin Bran and had 1/2 cup of coffee. I had butterflies in my stomach, as usual, so it was hard for me to get my breakfast down, but I made myself eat it. Drank some water too.

I left the house later than I had wanted to, so I was worried that I was going to be late. Then I got stuck behind a stupid tractor for most of Thornell Road. Then the gas light went on (I'll worry about that after the race...) Then my MP3 player's batteries were dead, so I couldn't listen to my music. I didn't think of any of this as an omen, though. As long as I wasn't late.
Event warmup:

I wasn't late, of course. I had just enough time to get my time chip, find a spot for my bike, set up the few things I brought with me, go potty a couple of times, and talk with a few people I know. I ran maybe in total 1/4 of a mile and stretched. For me, the most important parts to stretch are my calf muscles and my achilles and feet
Run
  • 16m 27s
  • 2 miles
  • 08m 13s  min/mile
Comments:

For 2 or 3 days prior to the race, I kept reminding myself not to go out too fast on this leg, since there was plenty of race left to go. I thought my goal pace would be between an 8 and 8:30 min/mile. I started out in the middle of the pack, but even they started out fast. I think I did the first 1/2 mile in a sub 7 pace. Gradually I was able to slow it down and find a good pace for me, even though it was still faster than I had wanted. But, the final hill(s) you come to on the course suck, with a big capital S-U-C-K! So I think they helped to pull my overall pace down.
What would you do differently?:

Not sure I would make my goal pace so slow next time, but am happy with how I ran it.
Transition 1
  • 00m 45s
Comments:

There are so many transitions, I can hardly remember this one...
I put on my cycling gloves and helmet without any problems. I know cycling shoes and the pedals that go with them are nice and all, but it's so nice to get in and out of a transition area without having to change your shoes!
I took 2 big gulps of the extra water bottle I brought along with Power Bar electrolyte drink mix in it (iced tea flavor). That was what I decided to do - water bottle on the bike, extra bottle at transition for quick drinks in transition. It ended up working great!

Not sure.
Bike
  • 35m 23s
  • 10 miles
  • 16.96 mile/hr
Comments:

I went into the race fully expecting to, and wanting to, just push it on the bike, both parts. I know I can run, I wanted to know if I could go any faster on the bike than in the past. I was pretty pleased with this ride.
With about the last 3/4 to 1 mile left I decided to ease up a little bit for the upcoming r/b/r still left. I had been with the same woman for most of the ride, and had finally managed to pass her, but eventually turned around to talk to her and we rode in more or less together chatting a bit. I remember saying to her that I was afraid that maybe I'd gone too hard on that bike leg. I was becoming a little worried that my legs would freeze up and I wouldn't be able to go much more than the 10 mph the next time out!

I'm not sure again. I did what I wanted to do. One thing I did more of than I had wanted to was stand up and peddle on the hills. Less of that would be nice I think. But I've been keeping my bike in the big gear ALL of the time, and am hesitant to go down to the smaller one. One, because I think it definitely helps my overall pace; two, I'm afraid to mess with the gears too much for fear of having the chain fall off again (it "skips" gears a lot); three, I never could even peddle up one hill before in the big gear, let alone do an entire race in it!! :)
Transition 2
  • 00m 42s
Comments:

Uneventful transition. I was a little hesitant coming down the hill in the no peddle zone. I got nervous about where I was supposed to dismount (was it IN the no peddle zone?). Anyway, once it became more clear, I was fine and dismounted in the correct spot (how in the hell do you dismount from a moving bike - are people crazy!?!?) I ran with the bike fine. I like to do that so I can get my legs going for the real run! I got the bike mounted easily, took 2-3 big gulps of my "energy" drink, decided to keep my gloves on for the short run, stretched my muscles out a little bit, then took off.

Probably not much again!
Run
  • 08m 27s
  • 1 miles
  • 08m 27s  min/mile
Comments:

This run was probably the worst of the 3. My legs were not wanting to cooperate. They kept going, but in short strides and they were really tired. I began to really question how the 2nd bike was going to go.

More bricks in my training would definitely help!!
Transition 3
  • 00m 31s
Comments:

Didn't have to do too much. Already had the gloves on. Put on helmet, took 2-3 more big gulps of the, now warming and getting a little yucky, "iced tea." Got bike off of rack OK and ran off. I kind of accidentally cut off a guy coming out of the transition area at the same time as me. I felt a little bad, but it wasn't terrible. oops.

Not run in front of the guy.
Bike
  • 35m 58s
  • 10 miles
  • 16.68 mile/hr
Comments:

This went much better than expected! I've discovered that I can keep up with people on really nice bikes, and I can even pass some of them!! For awhile I was following a woman who I know, and I know she is an avid cyclist. But I was following her? She wizzed past me on the first bike leg, and now I was following her? WTF??? I wonder if she pushed it too hard the first 3 legs and was done for on this one? Anyway, I eventually got so close to her that I wondered if I was actually drafting. I never thought I would pass her, I was just happy to keep her in my sights! I finally made the move and passed her. Then she passed me, then I passed her for good!! It was strange. Nice, but strange.
On this bike leg there were 2 worrisome traffic issues. The first had to do with a big dump truck coming to a stop to go around a circle drive at the intersection of 251 and 65. I had to slow a little bit so I could figure out which way it was going, but I didn't have to stop for it. The next happened when a truck pulling a large trailer bed with heavy equipment on it came to the 4-way stop (I think at the corner of Clover and Mendon-Center Rd.) There were cars at 3 of the 4 stops. The volunteer was probably having a heart attack trying to figure out what to do with everybody. She was yelling at all of the cars to stop, but the truck in my lane hauling stuff went to try to turn left, which is the side me and the other 2 or 3 cyclists were trying to go around him (I know that's not where you pass cars, but there was no shoulder otherwise) The woman in front of me YELLED at the guy to stop, then we thanked him as we went by! Death averted.
I took corners as quickly as I could, one time wondering a little bit if I was taking it too fast, but otherwise I was safe. Still a lot of standing on hills, but gear shifting seemed good. My gears are not the greatest, though. I might need to take them in every month or so to get them checked.

Not allow cars on the roads until I was done!
Transition 4
  • 00m 41s
Comments:

This transition was a little frustrating. It so happened that everyone I was racked between was doing the sprint, and was done and decided that everyone else must be too, so they decided to take up the entire freaking rack!!!! I wasn't expecting it at all, so I wasn't sure what to do. Luckily, the girl whose bike was to the left of mine was still there so she helped me get it in. The bike to the right of me I'm pretty sure was never there before. I think someone just decided to put it there last minute. Even if it was the same bike it wasn't even facing the same direction as it was at the beginning.
Anyway, I peeled my gloves and helmet off, took another 2-3 big gulps of the now warm and yucky brown muck, then set off for the final leg.

Not be afraid to touch other people's bikes to get them out of my way. Grow another arm so I could move other bikes without having to lay mine down.
Run
  • 15m 6s
  • 2 miles
  • 07m 33s  min/mile
Comments:

For the first time, I took water from the aides outside of the transition area. I needed to wash the brown muck taste from my mouth and have something cool to drink too. I tried to push it as much as my legs could. I took small strides for the first 1/2 to 3/4 mile. Then my legs eased up a bit. In fact, they eased up enough that I was able to muster up positive thoughts about the race WHILE I was running. That doesn't happen all of the time! :) I really did feel good for a lot of this run. I think it was so nice knowing I was almost done! Of course, the "kick-my-ass" hills almost did, but I never stopped running! I passed 3 guys walking at about that point, which just inspired me to keep running.

Do more bricks in training!
Post race
Warm down:

I immediately went looking for the water bottle table. Does anyone know what I'm talking about? In my limited experience with races, most of them, if not all of them, have a table set up very near the finish line with lines of water bottles. Not today. I was on a mission for water. Nothing. Nada. I found a table with lots of sodas and canned lemonade - yuck. I needed water!! Finally went to the bathroom and filled up my water bottle. Oh well. All of that walking around looking for water was probably a good thing anyways. I also ate 2 pretzel sticks and a banana.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Not doing more bricks. Need to do more hill work. Need to keep getting better on the bike.

Event comments:

It is a great race and Yellow Jacket racing always does a wonderful job. They really keep things moving and keep the atmosphere fun and laid back. But where was my water!?!?! ;)

Last updated: 2007-05-12 12:00 AM
Running
00:16:27 | 02 miles | 08m 13s  min/mile
Age Group: 0/20
Overall: 0/101
Performance: Average
Course: A hilly trail run, with a short portion coming out on a road, then going back into the trails. There is a whopper of a hill towards the end of the course.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
T1
Time: 00:45
Overall: Good
Run with bike? Good
Jump on bike? Average
Getting up to speed and into shoes: Average
Biking
00:35:23 | 10 miles | 16.96 mile/hr
Performance: Good
Wind: Little
Course: Rolling hills. The route was partially in Mendon Ponds park, but mostly out on the roads in the perimeter of the park.
Road: Potholes Dry Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Average Hills: Good
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Not enough
T2
Time: 00:42
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:08:27 | 01 miles | 08m 27s  min/mile
Performance: Below average
Course: It was the same trail run, but there was a turn around point that cut you off from going on the 2 miler. The same flippin' hills at the end, though. They are really very brutal.
T3
Time: 00:31
Overall: Average
Run with bike? Good
Jump on bike?
Getting up to speed and into shoes: Average
Biking
00:35:58 | 10 miles | 16.68 mile/hr
Wind: Little
Course: Same course.
Road: Potholes Dry Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Average Hills: Good
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T4
Time: 00:41
Overall: Below average
Run with bike? Good
Jump on bike?
Getting up to speed and into shoes:
Running
00:15:06 | 02 miles | 07m 33s  min/mile
Course: Same course as the first 2 miles, with the same big-ass hills at the end daring me run up them.
Post race
Weight change: %
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Below average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2007-06-03 10:18 PM

User image

Veteran
Rochester, NY
Subject: Rochester Spring Classic Duathlon - F1 Format

2007-06-05 1:01 PM
in reply to: #827810

User image

Expert
Malvern, England
Subject: RE: Rochester Spring Classic Duathlon - F1 Format
sounds like a great race and that you were happy with it. So, glad your splits reflected it.
....but for goodness sake Kameron - get your gears checked out!
2007-06-05 1:17 PM
in reply to: #827810

User image

Bob
Binghamton, NY
Subject: RE: Rochester Spring Classic Duathlon - F1 Format

Great race Kam!!! Awesome finishing leg! You are going to be dangerous!

Keep up the great training! Can't wait to see you at a race!!

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Rochester Spring Classic Duathlon - F1 Format Rss Feed