Richmond Multisports
65F / 18C
Precipitation
Total Time = 1h 29m 17s
Overall Rank = 114 w/182 w
Age Group = 35-39
Age Group Rank = 19/31
Pre-race routine:

Since the tri was literally across the street, and because some bonehead had messed up the race numbers so I couldn't pick mine up during packet pickup, I woke up early and went over to the site to get my numbers.

It was raining, so I considered keeping my stuff in my car until later, but they also decided not to number the racks, so I figured I better get a spot in the T-zone. So I put my bike up, set out some of my stuff to save a space, ran into my friend S, and went back home to grab my Mojo bars and diet Pepsi & wake up my hubby to tell him I still had no clue when my pool start time was but my best guess was 8:30a (it was a 7:00 start and I was #406 into the pool).
Event warmup:

Drinking diet pepsi, eating mojo bars, trying to keep my stuff dry, watching people do the swim and the transitions, and then, waiting FOREVER it seemed in the line outside the pool to start the race.

S was laughing at me because my fingernail beds were turning blue, but then she looked at her own hands. It was wet, windy, and COLD.
Swim
  • 09m 54s
  • 300 meters
  • 03m 18s / 100 meters
Comments:

Much better swim than my first tri. I need to change my swim seed, because I was faster than the people in front of me and kept tapping feet. I swam the whole thing without really resting - my month of swimming has paid off.

Because we were so cold outside, the water felt like a bath for the first 100....steamy.
What would you do differently?:

Lie about my swim time. Everyone else does. At least then I would be swimming with the people who say they take 9 minutes but really take 10, instead of the people who said 10 but really take 12.
Transition 1
  • 02m 51s
Comments:

It had been raining since before 5am, my stuff had been in the rain since before 6am, and it was around 8:45 by the time I got to T1, so my stuff was SOAKED. Even though I had my shoes and socks in bags, they were wet and so I was I and it took longer than I expected to get into them. Other than that, T1 was good.

Consult whoever is in charge of the weather & seek an exemption from rain during my race. :)
Bike
  • 44m 36s
  • 12.4 miles
  • 16.68 mile/hr
Comments:

If only it hadn't been raining...I rode my fastest ever on the bike and I would have gone even faster if I wasn't so nerved up about the rain. At one of the corners, the volunteers thought I was confused because I slowed down so much, but there was gravel in the street and it was driving rain and I was afraid I'd slip. AWESOME ride! It felt good, although cold.

See T1. I loved this bike ride and wouldn't change anything I did, except maybe suck it up and practice riding in the rain once or twice. (I know, they aren't going to let me ride a stationary if it rains on tri day.)
Transition 2
  • 00m 48s
Comments:

Another good T2, since I am still riding in running shoes (which weighed about 10 extra pounds by this point with the rain in them). My next tri T2 should be more interesting since I'll be wearing cycling shoes like a grownup. :)

Not forget my racebelt...thankfully a somebody yelled out "Race Number" before I got 10 feet from my spot, so I didn't waste too much time grabbing it.
Run
  • 31m 11s
  • 3.11 miles
  • 10m 02s  min/mile
Comments:

This is not the run I wanted, but I'll take it. It was a rough day and I don't think I left much out there. Well, maybe a little. Next time I'll leave nothing.

I did cheer the folks behind me on the back-in half of the run, and that felt good. I thanked the volunteers and laughed with the guy at the turn-around.

Run faster. Measure the course accurately in my mind.
Post race
Warm down:

Met by the family at the finish - so my finish picture should be a huge grin and a wave. (They came to see the swim start, too - but they didn't see me even though I waved from the other side of the pool.) Ate some pizza, drank some soda, ate an oreo. Shivered. Looked for my friend S, who was about 10 minutes behind me, but she ended up in the EMS truck with a likely-broken toe from stubbing it on the pool, which sucks for her first tri, but she finished and she was smiling in the ambulance & locker room, and planning her next one!

What limited your ability to perform faster:

The rain. Need more bricks, I think, to seal the deal on the run.

Event comments:

I was a bit turned off by packet pickup, since the problem was that someone seeded us by sign-up order rather than swim and all the packets had to be redone at the last minute. I was also a little turned off since they said there would be numbered bike racks, but weren't at the last minute.

However, the race was otherwise done well. There were a ton of volunteers and the traffic was well controlled. I would have liked to wait inside the pool area for my swim (which they did in my first tri at a different Y) - maybe there wasn't room here. I liked the pizza at the post-race. Yummy! I liked the neoprene chip bands, rather than the plastic strips. I had a great time!

Last updated: 2007-03-28 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:09:54 | 300 meters | 03m 18s / 100meters
Age Group: 28/31
Overall: 161/182 w
Performance: Good
Suit: Danskin Trisuit
Course: Serpentine swim in 6 lane, 25m pool
Start type: Inside Pool Plus:
Water temp: 80F / 27C Current:
200M Perf. Remainder:
Breathing: Good Drafting:
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 02:51
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed: Below average
Biking
00:44:36 | 12.4 miles | 16.68 mile/hr
Age Group: 22/31
Overall: 107/182 w
Wind: Strong with gusts
Course: Rural, right in my neck of the woods, where I always ride. The traffic control was AWESOME - wish I could get the cops out during my weekend rides. Sone roller hills, good pavement.
Road: Smooth Wet Cadence:
Turns: Below average Cornering: Below average
Gear changes: Good Hills: Average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Not enough
T2
Time: 00:48
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:31:11 | 03.11 miles | 10m 02s  min/mile
Age Group: 20/31
Overall: 122/182 w
Performance: Below average
Course: Out and back in neighborhood. Downhill out, uphill back, and a little longer than I had mentally blocked out.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? No
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Below average
Race evaluation [1-5] 3

{postbutton}
2007-06-04 9:59 AM

User image

Champion
Out running or enjoying a fine glass of red...
Subject: Power Sprint Triathlon

2007-06-04 10:41 AM
in reply to: #828386

User image

Expert
Earth
Subject: RE: Power Sprint Triathlon

Looks like a solid performance.  Good job.  Riding in the rain is a royal pain, but better to take the corners easy and stay upright than the test you skill and then likely your helmet too.

2007-06-04 12:37 PM

User image

Master
Winder, GA
Oh man, your whole race was in the rain?? Yikes! I'm not sure I'd still go because I'm such a wuss about riding my bike in the rain! You rocked this race, hard to believe it's only your second race, ever! Congrats!

Edited by autigers_1998 2007-06-04 12:38 PM
2007-06-04 3:52 PM

User image

Expert
In limbo
Awesome race!!!  You're freakin fast whether rain or no rain!  And your swim looks great too!  Woohoo!
2007-06-04 8:11 PM

User image

Pro
A farming town in MN

Congrats Kristen on your 15.6 mile swim tri...probably felt like the whole thing was a swim...

Great improvement on your swim and bike!  Another 10K in 2 weeks...

2007-06-04 8:31 PM

User image

Master
Clifton, NJ
terrific job! it stinks that it was raining during the race, but such is life... you will have a sunny race day in your future...

2007-06-04 9:22 PM

User image

Veteran
great job!  and in the rain to boot!  all that swimming and the bike shoes in route...you will be unstoppable!
2007-06-04 10:18 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Iceland

Awesome job!! I think you did really great

Too bad about the rain but I keep telling myself that at least all other competitors had the same conditions

Be proud of yourself!!

2007-06-05 4:40 PM

User image

Expert
Wylie, TX
Great job overcoming the elements. I am glad that you felt the improvement in your swim. You are correct about reporting your swim time. I find it is best to fudge by 30 secs. But, do not tell anyone.
2007-06-05 5:38 PM

New user
Portland, OR
Great Job!!!!
So even though you had the hassle of having to tap a bunch of slow moving swimmers, didn't it feel great to be the one that was faster?! You'll know next time to fudge your time ;-)
Congrats on your second tri...
2007-06-05 5:44 PM

User image

Expert
Spring (Houston), TX
Hugely awesome...rain or shine!

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Power Sprint Triathlon Rss Feed