Melbourne Beach Rotary
75F / 24C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 26m 55s
Overall Rank = 104/423
Age Group = 40-44
Age Group Rank = 14/27
Pre-race routine:

Horrible night sleep, I don't know if it was pre-race nerves, which I didn't have for the last LC race, or just a continuation from the last few nights (AB side effects maybe?). Any way, I got up at 5am, had my usually bananna and coffee followed by the morning duty and I was out the door by 5:32. Got to my friends house before 6am (lives 1 block from race site) and first thing I noticed was that the wind was cranking over on beahchside, a solid 20mph or so, and it was cooler. We got to the race site before the crowd and I was able to get a coveted end spot on the rack, woohoo things were looking good already!
Event warmup:

Due to a large number of participants and trouble setting up the swim course the start was delayed for ~1/2hr. This allowed me to get in a good 20 min good swim warmup. Water was rough and at 77F and only 1 person had a WS on. Heard people were giving him $hit, but hey rules are rules. I wish I had my WS, I should get somthing like a QR quickjohn that would have been perfect.
Swim
  • 14m 38s
  • 528 yards
  • 02m 46s / 100 yards
Comments:

Mix in 1 mile of open water for 20mph winds to travel over and you get ~1.5 foot wind driven waves with breakers near the shore. Wind were WSW so on the long leg you had to swim at an angle into the waves. 2nd tri in a row now were I had to do this with big waves. I started on the outside and worked my way in towards the 1st buoy. A few swimmers were disoriented because they were crossing in front of me going way off course. I've learned in these conditions, site the big horizon landmarks, in this case the Melbourne causeway bridge was my target on the way out. After the turn, for the most part I was able to time the waves and breath in the troughs and swim under the waves, still seemed to take forever to reach the halfway point at the pier end but once I got there, I focused on getting to the finish. Swallowed my share of salt water though, yummy! Sure was nice to do the last 100+ yards cruising with the waves and do some body surfing!
What would you do differently?:

Well, same old same old, not much. I need to get a coach/find a clinic. I think my wife feels the pain now and may release the funds for this when summer vacation is over!
Transition 1
  • 01m 12s
Comments:

1:12 is a blazing time for me compared to the last 4 years doing this race! My goal was 1:30 and I beat that by 18 sec. My previous best time for this race was 1:53.

I wish I could feel comfortable dumping the socks. I may do some short rides sockless and see how my feet respond. If I can toughen them up who knows!
Bike
  • 44m 58s
  • 15.3 miles
  • 20.42 mile/hr
Comments:

Goal was 44:30, so missed the goal by 28 sec. The down leg crosswinds were a slight assist so I made an effort to maintain a +21mph speed and not to push it too hard, max speed on the down was 22.6mph. On the return the crosswinds were a slight headwind so I worked to maintain a 20 mph speed. Overall pace was comfy-hard, if this were a Time Trial and didn't have to run afterwards I could have been able to do +21mph average. Consumed about 18oz of water in my aero bottle and took a gel near at half way just in case. Dismount line was further up that in the past and I unclipped and pulled a leg over and coasted a bit before slowing and jumping off and running with the bike.

I guess I could have went a bit harded on the down leg and do a 22mph speed most of the way without hurting the return. I need to increase my T.I.T.S. this month in prep for next months sprint.
Transition 2
  • 00m 38s
Comments:

Goal was 45 sec, previous best was 52 sec, so I was really happy with 38 secs when I saw the time posted.

Nothing that I can think of. Oh I know, I can leave my run secret out and save a second or 2!
Run
  • 25m 29s
  • 3.3 miles
  • 07m 43s  min/mile
Comments:

Keeping cool is a key of mine off the bike and besides the nice crosswinds we had I had a plastic baggy with ice cubes in a small cooler bag at T2 that I put inside my hat, and it went to work on my head! My first mile though was diappointing in that it took me 1/2 mile to feel normal. My calf's were really tight in the 1st 1/4 mile and I slowly made speed progress as I went. Doh, I didn't do any calf streching at all on the bike, something I normally do when on rides and when I do bricks in training. Just before the 1 mile mark a local triathlete/runner I know passed me and I know I can do a 5k run faster or as fast as her. When I saw my 1 mile time I was bummed a bit and vowed to keep her close by and increased my turnover and stayed more or less behind her. I grabbed a water at the 1st station just to wet my mouth and was able to settle down from there. Passed a bunch of people along the way and my 2nd and 3rd miles were each much better with negative splits with a nice last 0.3 mile hard effort.

Missed the goal by 29 sec. Wish I could have gotten out of that 1st mile funk sooner, goal was 7:50 or so for the 1st mile but I recovered nicely but ended up short of my goal for the run. More brick runs this month to work on that 1st mile.
Post race
Warm down:

I got some water and went to find the family near the finish line. My mother was there for the race and finally got to see me finish as last race she was at I crashed on the bike. She had her proud mama karma going as she had to take upteen pictures! Can't wait to see those, she usually is one to cut the heads of! Talked to several other triathletes I know here and there and tried to find Tod, yo Tod where were you!

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Swim, always the swim!

Event comments:

This race just keeps getting bigger and bigger every year and has a some pro-elites that race in it. Always flat and fast except for the water this year. Will post some race photos later when they are ready.

Profile Album

Last updated: 2007-02-01 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:14:38 | 528 yards | 02m 46s / 100yards
Age Group: 21/27
Overall: 291/423
Performance: Average
Goal was 13:30, I suck, LOL! Time from the start to the ladder exit was 13:15 on my watch (2:30 pace), time above includes the long run down the pier to the transition entrance where the timing mat was.
Suit:
Course: Triangular course, ~400' out, turn ~800', then ~400' in was suppose to be the setup. They had some trouble setting up the course with the large wind-driven waves, seems the anchor weights weren't enough at times and the course markers were drifting a bit!
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 77F / 25C Current: High
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Average
Breathing: Good Drafting:
Waves: Average Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 01:12
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed:
Biking
00:44:58 | 15.3 miles | 20.42 mile/hr
Age Group: 11/27
Overall: 69/423
Performance: Good
Goal was 44:30
Wind: Cross-winds with gusts
Course: Down and back along A1A. I wish they would officially say the ride is at least 15.3 miles, always has been with three different bikes and cyclometers.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence: 98
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills:
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 00:38
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:25:29 | 03.3 miles | 07m 43s  min/mile
Age Group: 10/27
Overall: 82/423
Performance: Average
Goal was a 25:00; Mile 1- 8:14, Mile 2- 7:41, Mile 3- 7:27, Last 0.3- 2:07 (7:03 pace)
Course: Rectangular and flat.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? No
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2007-06-04 11:30 AM

User image

Pro
Melbourne FL
Gold member
Subject: Rotary Pineapple Man Triathlon

2007-06-04 11:43 AM
in reply to: #828630

User image

Master
Alpharetta, GA
Subject: RE: Rotary Pineapple Man Triathlon

Good job, Sgt. Hulka, I mean, Don!!

Nice RR!!  Sounds like you had just a bit of wind to contend with and you did well!

2007-06-04 2:28 PM

User image

Master

Great job.

2007-06-04 3:07 PM

User image

Master
Kauai, Hawaii

Looks like you had fun. Good thing TS Barry got out in time! Didn't make it to cheer you all on too tired with the time change, and now we go back.

2007-06-04 4:02 PM

User image

Master
Port Moody, BC
Awesome job Don! Looks like you had a great time and some good fun. Wicked T2 time, I wish I could transistion like that! Great RR. Two thumbs way up.
2007-06-04 5:04 PM

User image

Elite
New City, New York

Nice job Don. Body surfing ?!? almost makes up for the tuff out. I miss the ocean! Sounds like the bike is coming along nicely. Good work!

2007-06-04 9:24 PM

User image

Veteran
Orlando
Don,
Glad to see you had a good race. Thanks for recommending the race. I made it out to Melbourne myself and enjoyed the race and location. Hope to do it again next year. Also, thanks for the pre-race weather forecast and tips.
2007-06-23 9:02 PM

User image

Expert
searching for the elusive runner's high!
Nice race report and great time - congratulations! I wanted to do this race but travel kept me away...maybe next year!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Rotary Pineapple Man Triathlon Rss Feed