General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Female question about seats Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2007-06-04 12:08 PM

User image

Veteran
peoria, az
Subject: Female question about seats

What seats do you use (females)? I'm in need of a new one and have no idea how to find the right seat. Do have a women specific seat or not???

Thanks.

2007-06-04 12:23 PM
in reply to: #828731

User image

Master
Flagstaff and Phoenix, AZ
Subject: RE: Female question about seats
I just got a Terry Women's Butterfly Tri Saddle from Performance and love it. It's made a HUGE difference. (The first two times on the new tri bike I just used the men's saddle it came with because I was so psyched about the new bike and couldn't wait until the saddle came in...and paid for it with two weeks of pain in all the wrong places!)

I also have a regular Terry Butterfly saddle on my mountain bike. It has been great for over a year. They're well worth the cost I'd say. (Wait for sales, Performance had the Tri saddle in their last brochure for $20.00 off) I'm glad I didn't have to go through several saddles before I found the ones that work for me but I've heard it's not unusual if you do. Good luck! I hope you find one that fits you well.
2007-06-04 12:28 PM

User image

Broomfield, CO
I just got a Bontrager Women's CRZ+ HC WSD Sport Saddle a few weeks ago and have noticed a huge difference in how I feel after long rides.
2007-06-04 12:29 PM

User image

Master
West Jordan, UT

Not a woman, but I've read a little.  If you are feeling numbness or pain in the wrong areas, get a new saddle or adjust your current one properly.     Numbness or pain in the crotch can lead to permanent nerve damage, which can mean impotence in men and loss of sensation (maybe permanently) in women.   Not a desirable situation!  There are plenty of womens saddles that might help.  I also hear that women generally need a wider seat because their pelvis is often wider than a man's. 

If it is just your sit bones are a little sore then you probably just need to get used to your bike seat.   

2007-06-04 12:37 PM

User image

Veteran
peoria, az

No, it's not just the sits bones. I'm use to riding but after 60 miles on Saturday, I'm black and blue in places.    I am riding on the original seat the bike came with so I think a womens seat might be very helpful.

2007-06-04 12:41 PM

User image

Veteran
Sarnia
I'm using a Terry Butterfly, which I love.  Thought I was all over the getting used to it period, but Saturday I went for a ride for the first time using aerobars, and ouch... dealing with the pain all over again. Yell

2007-06-04 12:42 PM

User image

Expert
Clio, MIchigan

I use a Terry Damselfly.  The saddle is hard and my sit bones hurt but I have been riding the saddle and the more i do the less it hurts.  Its been probably 2 or 3 months and I am just getting comfy on it.

My old saddle was causing numbness but I am good now.  I also make sure I use chamois cream every time i get on it, which helps alot.

2007-06-04 12:43 PM

User image

Master
Savannah,
Terry Butterfly...check E-bay. 
2007-06-04 12:57 PM

User image

Master
Flagstaff and Phoenix, AZ
I've found that adjusting the saddle nose down quite a bit on the tri bike (vs. mtb or road) helps. Seems obvious but I'm still figuring things out as I go, one step/ride at a time
2007-06-04 1:07 PM

User image

Veteran
Hooksett, New Hampshire

I was at a bike shop yesterday and noticed they had women's seats with differents widths according to how far apart your sit bones are.  I believe that's what the measurements indicated on the packaging was for.

Talk to someone at a bike shop before you spend money on something that may not fit right. 

2007-06-04 2:03 PM
in reply to: #828804

User image

Crystal Lake, IL
twolives1 - 2007-06-04 12:37 PM

I'm black and blue in places.   

Sheesh, what seat is it?  This one?

(stonesaddle.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
stonesaddle.jpg (23KB - 8 downloads)

2007-06-04 11:23 PM

User image

Master
Connecticut

I don't use a women's seat and personally I find that most of them have way too much to them. Too wide, too much padding, too much give, holes that just make sharp edges to rub, etc.

Less is more for me. I have a Fizik Alliante on my road bike and a Serfas Stinger on my TT. There's isn't much to either one, but when the bike is properly fitted to me and the saddle is in the right place, the saddle basically disappears. However, most of the time I ride hard when I ride and I don't put much weight in the saddle. I'm up out of it climbing, in the back seat getting leverage, in the front sprinting, hanging off the back on downhills, etc, but I'm rarely just plopped down sitting in it. If I do a long slow ride, on the other hand, I do start to feel it.

Edited to add: be careful of the temptation to lower the tip too much.  I tried that at first too, but I ended up finding that it made things worse, since it resulted in my sliding forward in the seat and putting more weight in the part I meant to relieve weight from. 

Edited by dredwards 2007-06-04 11:26 PM
2007-06-05 5:59 PM

User image

Resident Matriarch
N 43° 32.927 W 071° 24.431

I was riding the men's Terry Fly because my husband bought 2.  Loved it more than the Terry Butterfly on my other bike.  Then he bought a new bike that came with a (men's) Specialized Avatar.  He hated it and wanted the Terry from my tri bike.  So I took the Avatar.  I can honestly say it is the best saddle I have ever used.  I love it and am going to get another one for my road bike.

2007-06-05 7:46 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Dallas, TX

I haven't tried it yet (it's coming in the mail in a few days), but it got rave reviews - the Blackwell Flow.  It's not women-specific per se, but the reviews I read said that it was one of the least-returned/exchanged saddles and that although it isn't labeled women-specific, it seems to be one of the growing favorites among women triathletes.

One of the reviews that helped me sort through some options (not including Terry models): http://www.bikesportmichigan.com/reviews/saddle06.shtml

2007-06-05 7:58 PM

User image

Champion
Whizzzzzlandia
Silver member

I have a Terry Butterfly... I love it now. 

I did not love it last year. I had raised bruise type welts along the area where the leg meets the "lady" if you know what I mean...

I have found a couple of things to be true:

1) The saddle needs to break in a bit. You have to give it time to soften up (?) and your butt (crotch) time to harden.  

2) The right fit makes all the difference in the world. I've had my bike fit 3 times. I'm finally comfortable. Now that I've got slightly different positioning, and my saddle is worn in, I'm good to go. Rode a century last weekend with only minor short term discomfort immediately after wards. Am good to go today.  A far cry from last year... and an even further cry from the year before!

3) Get a carbon seatpost. Unless your bike is carbon, then it won't matter as much... but my carbon seatpost is probably the best $115 bucks I've ever spent. It goes a LONG way toward smoothing out the ride...

FWIW...

Happy riding!

Whizzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz Kiss

2007-06-05 8:18 PM

User image

Champion
MA

This is my third season and each year my taste in saddles changes.

Did you get your bike fit when you bought it? Often that is the #1 reason for sensitive body parts pain.

My first saddle I used was the Terry Tri Butterfly saddle, used that one season...liked it.

Last year when I bought a new tri bike I opted to try a new saddle as I had been test riding tri bikes and like the harder, smaller saddles. I wanted one with a cut out so I opted for the Terry Zero X the saddle they make for racers...I really liked it.

Zero X Saddle
Zero X Saddle

Some great information is here about Terry saddles.

http://www.terrybicycles.com/saddles/product.html?t=w

After getting my tri bike last June, I bought a road/winter/race bike in January a Specialized Tarmac and is the standard bike so it geared more for men...its saddle is harder and smaller yet and I like it too.

I think as we progress as riders our tastes change as to saddle type. This year I've ridden 1600 miles already so I'm riding more and my privates and bum are more used to riding so it doesn't matter as much.

Couple key points to being comfy or as comfy as possible on longer rides:
1. Bike Fit
2. Good bike shorts with nice chamois...I like the one peice ones that have different thicknesses in different spots...Terry Bella rock, top of the line Suguoi are great, and the SSS Shebest are nice as well.
3. I use body glide on my privates and chamois butt'er on my chamois...if I forget I pay for it.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Female question about seats Rss Feed