General Discussion Race Reports! » Deuces Wild Triathlon Festival - Xterra Off-Road T Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Deuces Wild Triathlon Festival - Xterra Off-Road T - TriathlonOther

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Show Low, Arizona
United States
Deuces Wild Triathlon Festival
75F / 24C
Overcast
Total Time = 3h 04m 22s
Overall Rank = 93/137
Age Group = 30-34
Age Group Rank = 14/20
Pre-race routine:

First off.. I want to thank my friend and training partner Commodore who lent his mountain bike to me. I also want to thank another friend, Rob, who lent his SPD mountain bike pedals to me as well.

---------------

Woke up. Set my gear up. Said hey to some people including the eventual winner Will Kelsay (I know him because he lives in Boulder, CO and trains with another Xterra pro, Jimmy Archer, who I went to high school with and is now a web editor for Inside Triathlon Magazine). Will was sporting his mohawk in blue at this race.

Also saw Elaine (pirate girl), Kathy (azchica), and Brian (pilgrim) who had his army of New Mexico Outlaws at the race.
Event warmup:

Left my dogs with a friend of mine and then headed to the water. Swam out about 50 yards and then casually swam back in to start.
Swim
  • 17m 12s
  • 800 meters
  • 02m 09s / 100 meters
Comments:

Swam pretty well. A little slower than normal, but I have not been swimming much and even though I hate to say it, I noticed the altitude a little with my breathing.
What would you do differently?:

Swim more in training! I have been a pool slacker.
Transition 1
  • 03m 11s
Comments:

Had a decent transition. First time using a bucket... nice to sit on in transition. Had extra things to do that I never have before because of the Xterra. There was also a good run with the bike to the mount area.

Felt pretty good about my swim as the transition area was still pretty filled up with bikes.

Time was slower than normal, but I had to put on my bike gloves and just did not feel in a rush at this one.

I also had a little trouble clipping in at first but then I had my old shoes on with spd pedals.
Bike
  • 1h 56m 35s
  • 14.96 miles
  • 7.70 mile/hr
Comments:

Ok... The bike... where do I start!!!

Started off riding pretty decently and there was a slight sprinkle falling and a nice headwind. The sprinkle stopped shortly after and the wind wasn't as prevalent.

I passed a few people and began moving along pretty well. We climbed a little at first then went hauling down a steep hill. I got the bike up to about 34mph flying down this hill and felt good to avoid all the rocks on the way down.

Then we biked through a tunnel and since I had sunglasses on, I could hardly see anything. We then went through a parking lot and over a curb onto another dirt road. This road was rocky but was very manageable and had humps that were made to keep cars from driving down the road. These humps became fun jumps.
I was catching some good air as I hauled down them. Gradually getting closer to the 2 guys I had my sights set on passing. We kept jumping and twisting and turning down this road when all the sudden they stop... I was thinking ahh.. they were going to turn left an we are going right and this will be a easy pass. Well, this was not the case! The three of us realized that there were no markers pointing in either direction. FUCKING SHIT! AHHHHH Echoed through the forest.

So now I had to climb back out of there. My left hand felt like it was on fire. Gripping the handle bars on all of those jumps and downhills had taken a bit of a toll. I would try to relax my hand and all the flat spots that came from there on out.

So finally after getting back on course we entered the Rodeo Chedeski fire area and the path was pretty much single file, rocky, and soft sooty dirt. because I was now behind all of the BOPers I couldn't get around and had to walk behind them as they walked their bikes up this sooty rocky long tedious hill. Here and there I would get around a couple and then would mount up on the bike but I would soon be right behind some more walking up the hill. I even had a squirly front wheel in the soft sooty dirt and went down cutting my leg.

After finally making to the top, there was a flat area. I rode along and passed 2 more riders and then the descent started. There were some scary rocky descents where you had to make quick turns right at the bottom of each steep hill. Then going over a little hill you would go right down another. I kept my speed cautious, yet let it go down some of the hills.

I finally saw another rider ahead, in fact 2 riders. There was a spot where you had to carry your bike over about 10 charcoal burned logs. My legs got covered with charcoal but I got right around those 2 riders.

Just after that I hit the hard packed dirt road and I was flying! I passed a few more riders before coming back to a long steep downhill. This hill was so steep I you would be on your heels walking down it... more like climbing down it. At the bottom there was a volunteer yelling that you have to make a 90 degree turn and they had logs setup so if you went out of control you were going to crash bad... Well proudly I made it down and then rejoined the trail just before the tunnel that alas takes you back to the promise land... a.k.a. transition.

Stay on the course! Hand dexterity would help some too. My hands aren't weak by any means but Gripping on all those jumps and downhills set my left hand of fire. (right hand was on the rear break so it was more relaxed)
Transition 2
  • 02m 11s
Comments:

Decent transition but the time was longer than it should be. Perhaps from my sadness of returning my bike to a T2 full of bikes. It was just seem really different!

Faster... should have been around a minute.
Run
  • 45m 7s
  • 4.97 miles
  • 09m 05s  min/mile
Comments:

So I started out the run. I took off like a flash. It was weird to be running by BOPers still while they were walk/jogging. This wasn't a multiple lap course! Whats going on! LOL

Just after you get on the trail you start descending down and I almost rolled my ankle. I kept charging down though and ran across the bottom of the valley. I passed Elaine there and said hello and as I looked forward I saw this big sign "DEUCES WILD ELIMIATOR!" Well, I ran right up the eliminator... granted it was really steep and kind of long so I was moving slowly but I passed 4 more people going up it! Then the run went along a small plateau to the "MINI ELIMINATOR." I laughed and chuckled as this hill would not eliminate me either!

The run the went on a gradual uphill to the turn around. The catch was that you really didn't get to run back down too much gradual downhill as you would go a little and then turn over to where they had you wade through a section of the lake that got up to waist deep. I splashed water in the air yelling "ahh refreshing." Then there was a hill to run up.

After the hill, a trail led us around the lake to the transition area where they sent you down a path to run up some stairs that lead to the finish line.

Well that all goes back to the wrong turn on the bike. Would have been nicer to have people to chase down rather than just pass.
Post race
Warm down:

They gave you a popsicle. The ladies seemed to like this popsicle. LOL

I then went over and sat down by my dogs. I got swarmed with all the love and then gathered my gear and put it at my truck. Got some barbeque chicken and watched a little of the awards ceremony.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

We'll just leave this one alone. LOL

I am still happy with the race and had a lot of fun. Xterra is a animal that I will work on taming!

Event comments:

Good race. Enjoyed it and they had a large raffle where I won a "stick" massager. There were a lot of good people that I know or kind of know there and it was just a fun crazy race!

Anybody going to join me in racing this next year?

Last updated: 2007-04-25 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:17:12 | 800 meters | 02m 09s / 100meters
Age Group: 10/20
Overall: 20/137
Performance: Average
Suit: Zoot John Wetsuit
Course: Fool Hollows Lake - triangle from the boat launch ramp out into the lake and back into the cove.
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 69F / 21C Current: Low
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Average
Breathing: Average Drafting: Average
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 03:11
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Below average
Biking
01:56:35 | 14.96 miles | 7.70 mile/hr
Age Group: 17/20
Overall: 117/137
Wind: Headwind
Course: http://www.trisportsracing.com/html/xterra_triathlon.html
Road: Rough Dry Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Average Hills: Average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 02:11
Overall: Below average
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:45:07 | 04.97 miles | 09m 05s  min/mile
Age Group: 4/20
Overall: 22/137
Performance: Good
Course: http://www.trisportsracing.com/html/xterra_triathlon.html
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2007-06-04 3:28 PM

User image

Mesa
Subject: Deuces Wild Triathlon Festival - Xterra Off-Road T

2007-06-04 3:48 PM
in reply to: #829224

User image

Veteran
Albuquerque, NM
Subject: RE: Deuces Wild Triathlon Festival - Xterra Off-Road T
Great job Chile. Wrong turn and all you still tore it up.
2007-06-04 3:49 PM

Elite

Good Job Andy - way to not be eliminated. Is Jimmy Archer from Los Alamos?

2007-06-04 3:55 PM
in reply to: #829276

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.

Edited by Zilla 2007-06-04 3:56 PM
2007-06-04 4:11 PM
in reply to: #829281

Mesa
ScottoNM - 2007-06-04 2:49 PM

Yes. His parents actually live up on North Mesa right behind the middle school looking down on the golf course.
2007-06-04 4:15 PM
in reply to: #829330

Elite
chile7473 - 2007-06-04 3:11 PM
ScottoNM - 2007-06-04 2:49 PM

Yes. His parents actually live up on North Mesa right behind the middle school looking down on the golf course.

Cool, yeah I noticed he did the LA tri a couple years ago, but I didn't realize he was a townie.

2007-06-04 4:43 PM

Expert
Bummer about the wrong turn but it seemed like everything else went really well. Any idea where you were in the pack before the mishap? Sounds like a fun and challenging event! Great job.
2007-06-04 4:53 PM

Expert
Wandering through AZ
Sounds like it was a riot. If I knew the 1st thing about mountain biking I'd come out next year.
2007-06-04 5:04 PM

Elite
Mesa, AZ
I am SOOO there next year!

I agree you did REALLY well for going so of course! I cannot believe you have to wade through a lake on the run though...wow. XTERRA sounds AWESOME!
2007-06-04 6:24 PM

Master
Ann Arbor, MI
What a crazy race!! That sounds like an adventure race- they should've given you a compass and a map, too! Bummer about the wrong turn, but it will just get you to do more races, I'm sure!! Congratulations on taking out the eliminator!
2007-06-04 8:28 PM
in reply to: #829495

Extreme Veteran
Somewhere in your dreams
Hey great race Andy! Don't worry, I make wrong turns all the time! Can't wait to see your next rr!

2007-06-04 9:17 PM

Official BT Coach
Englewood, CO
That's about my experience too with the first xterra!  Nice race and I love all the pictures!  Keep on truckin.
2007-06-04 9:44 PM

Extreme Veteran
Bend, OR
Xterra sounds like a fun animal!  I've always wanted to do an Xterra triathlon so maybe I'll join you next year as I'm currently looking for a good mountain bike.  Cheers!
2007-06-04 11:16 PM

New user

It won't make you feel any better because they weren't in your age group but lots of people missed that turn, present company included!

Sounds like you did well and had fun on the course in spite of all.

I'll definitely be there again next year.
2007-06-05 2:17 PM

Albuquerque, NM

Andy- you're really making me think about doing this race next year!  It sounds like a blast and I would welcome the hills. 

Keep up the good work and it's time to focus on Buffalo Springs. 

2007-06-05 10:08 PM

Champion
Sydney

Andy - this has just put an Xterra on my must do races... sometime!!!

Flying down that hill sounded like a HUGE amount o fun.. .even if it was a bit of wrong turn Sounds like you killed the 'Eliminator' too...

Awesome!!!!!

Just one question - what on earth is a stick massager?

Actually two questions... did the puppies get chicken too?

2007-06-06 12:34 AM

Master
Goodyear, AZ
What an adventure! Glad you enjoyed your first xterra. You did awesome  
2007-06-06 12:39 PM

Champion
Michigan

very cool, i liked the pictures, too.

btw, i love popsicles. 

2007-06-07 10:25 AM

Pro
AZ
Taking that wrong turn had to have sucked!!!  But it sounds like you still had fun on a killer course! Good job!
2007-06-07 5:48 PM

Great fun Andy!  So, are you in the market for an Xterra bike now?  Sounds like a race like this can give a person the "bug." 

We're still in Flagstaff, this high altitude stuff is tough.

2007-06-10 5:29 PM

Veteran
Great report - thanks for the insight. You make it sound as addicting as I hope it to be - I do my first in a little over a month. First tri and first XTERRA - I can't wait !

Any advice for a newbie?

2007-06-12 10:58 PM

Expert
New Mexico
Great race report. Hope to back on that course next year.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Deuces Wild Triathlon Festival - Xterra Off-Road T Rss Feed