General Discussion Triathlon Talk » 29 Palms//Joshua Tree/Yucca Valley Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2007-06-10 7:15 PM

Subject: 29 Palms//Joshua Tree/Yucca Valley
Hi, I just moved here. I know that there are some big names that train around here quite often. Anyone live around here that might like to get together to ride or at least tell me some good biking/running routes?

Bonus points if you work aboard the Combat Center and want to swim/bike/run right before or after work or during lunch.

Thanks!

2007-06-19 12:01 AM
in reply to: #837941

High Desert, California
Subject: RE: 29 Palms//Joshua Tree/Yucca Valley
Hey there. If you haven't gotten in contact with the 29 Palms Tri team (I just recently found and joined it myself), contact MSgt Steven Hazlett (I think that's right. He's with MCCES if I recall). He'll send you the recent newsletters and get you up to date with upcoming events, etc. I've heard there are like 4 or 5 HIGHLY ranked triathletes on base, but I may just be hearing things.

The training tank is open at lunch every day for laps, and on weekends most of the day (though it's family swim on weekends with usually just one or two lanes for laps). Also, the Officer Club pool is open to tri team members in the mornings weekdays.

Again, though, contact MSgt Hazlett, and he'll hook you up with what you need to know.

By the way, What rank/Unit are you? And welcome to the Stumps. Is it your first time out here?

- Sgt Linke
2007-06-19 9:06 PM
in reply to: #849926

Thanks. I e-mailed MSgt Hazlett earlier and hope to hear back from him soon.

I was running this morning and came across a guy doing a brick (running at the time). On my way past the O Club I saw a yellow Cervelo Dual in the back of someone's truck - it was during lap hours, so I guess he was in the pool. The other day I saw a guy doing ILT on a tri bike up 10th St. We seem to be everywhere.

I'm the OpsO over at CLB-7. Just checked in last week. This is my first time being stationed here, but I've done a few CAXes and was here for a few weeks in April doing some other training.

I'm looking for good bike and run routes (off base - the road to/from Wilson is fun enough but gets old). I'm not eager to hear about any OWS in the area... since Bandini is the only place I know for that.... you first.

Thanks for your welcome aboard!
2007-06-19 10:00 PM

High Desert, California
MSgt Hazlett is usually very prompt in his replies, so I'm sure you'll be getting all sorts of great info very soon.

I saw a guy on 10th today at lunch doing ILT. Bet it was the same guy. Yeah, there does seem to be quite a few triathletes on base, which is pretty exciting.

As for bike routes, my favorite riding has been up and down Utah Trail, which starts nearby the main gate of the base and goes all the way to Joshua Tree Ntl Park, where it becomes Park Blvd. If you get a chance to head out to Yucca Valley anytime soon, stop at Mikes Bike shop (http://www.mikesbike.com/), and ask for a cycling map of the area. It'll give you a good idea of places to ride. Make sure to ask about roads to avoid, too, because there are a few places that can be pretty bad. Mike's isn't the biggest shop in the world, for sure, but the people are great and very helpful.

Um... What do you mean about the OWS? Everyone loves swimming in Bandini!

Seriously, though, there's not really anywhere I know of for OWS, but there are two pools on base (3 actually, but the other is a kids pool I think), and a public one out in town at luckie Park (Corner of Two Mile Rd and Utah Trail). I'm actually a bit new here as well myself, so I'm not sure what everyone does for swimming in the winter/spring when these pools aren't open.

As for CLB-7, I've been fortunate to have you guys around. Some of your guys are working on repairing a couple Air Conditioners of mine right now, in fact.

I'm new to Tri's, by the way. I'm doing my first few this year. I've done a lot of cycling and running in the past, but then sadly I got a bit out of shape. I'm working up to a decent level of fitness now, but I'm still definitely an amateur compared to a lot of the triathletes on base. I have a pretty nice road bike ('05 Lemond Versailles), but it's going to be quite some time before I get an actual Tri bike.

Anyway, hope that info will help you out. I'm sure I'll see you out there training!
2007-06-19 10:11 PM

Great info, thanks!

I don't live too far from Utah, and my place looks right up into the Park. I'll have to give it a whirl.

I've got a road bike, too. I am thinking that a tri bike would make a good redeployment present for myself.

I'm doing the 2 CamPen races and then the Soma HIM (Tempe, AZ) in October. How about you?

We've got your ACs? Are you an 11xx? What unit? I'm a 1302.
2007-06-19 10:30 PM
in reply to: #851638

High Desert, California
I haven't done much riding in the park itself, but I want to start doing that. When I've driven through, it looks like a lot of the roads should be just fine for cycling.

My plan so far:
- A sprint in August. Still not sure if I'll be doing the one at Camp Pendleton or at Imperial Beach
- Longbeach Tri in September (Sprint as well)
- I'd like to do a Half-Iron in November, but not sure if it'll work out. Depends on if I can find somewhere to swim in late fall.

I'm doing things pretty easy this year. My hope is that by next year, I'll be more prepared, get an earlier start and take on a more complete race schedule.

Actually I'm 5942. I'm a Radar repairman with MCCES, C Co. We're pretty much right across the street from you. Our Radars use ACs to keep the electronics cool, and unfortunately we don't have anyone in MCCES to fix ACs.

2007-06-19 10:34 PM

You raise a good point on not having a pool handy to train late in the year. Crap. That might put a crimp in my plan to do IMAZ in 2009.
2007-06-19 10:44 PM
in reply to: #851652

High Desert, California
I am concerned about the swimming as well, but I just went to the MCCS website (http://www.mccs29palms.com/), and found the following info:

Training Tank
830-6212 (Bldg. 1508)
The Training Tank is located next to Sunset Cinema. Open year-round.
The Training Tank offers Marines and Sailors an Olympic-size pool for training and recreational swimming. All Ranks welcome.

I don't know what their year-round hours are, but I'm excited to see that they are open year-round. I'll call tomorrow and find out more information. Also, take note that the pool is closed every once in a while for training and other events (or in some cases, because they forgot to order the chemicals needed to maintain the pool. Grrr!).
2007-06-19 11:49 PM
in reply to: #851658

Also noteworthy - 7th Marines is doing swim qual (at least) every Mon-Tue, 0500-1000 (with remediation at 1300) starting next week and then continuing every other week.

Year-round? Might have to bust out the wetsuit. Builds character.
2007-06-20 9:35 AM
in reply to: #851703

High Desert, California
I called this morning and they're open 1100-1245 year-round for laps. I think that is only weekdays, though, because I'm pretty sure it's open weekends only during summer.
2007-06-20 9:27 PM
in reply to: #852025

Saw you on the newsletter today.

I bumped into MSgt Hazlett at the pool this morning. Nice guy.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » 29 Palms//Joshua Tree/Yucca Valley Rss Feed