General Discussion Triathlon Talk » newbie-Tri suit vs. Wet Suit Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2007-06-11 10:43 AM

User image

Ponte Vedra Beach,FL
Subject: newbie-Tri suit vs. Wet Suit
I bought a 2007 2XU Elite Tri Suit. Will these help out with buoyancy at all? Or should I really invest in a wet suit? I haven't done a Tri yet but the ones I've registered for all have temps above 70 but are wetsuit legal.

2007-06-11 1:16 PM
in reply to: #838877

User image

Expert
Sarnia, Ontario
Subject: RE: newbie-Tri suit vs. Wet Suit

The tri suit will be no help floatation wise.

I don't think a wetsuit is needed for a swim with water temps in the 70s.  But some might find it nice to have.

If this is your first race/season, then I say race without a wetsuit before making the investment.
Of course you could rent a wetsuit to see if you really would like one.

2007-06-11 1:24 PM

User image

Sneaky Slow
Herndon, VA,

tri-suit and wetsuit... apples and oranges... one has absolutely nothing to do with the other.

If you are not what you would consider a strong swimmer, you should absolutely use one for your first race, regardless of what the water temperatures are (as long as they are legal of course). You can rent one if you don't want to outlay $200 or more.

The buoyancy and speed benefits of a wetsuit, for non-strong swimmers, are surprising... for example, take me... I normally swim 100 yards without a wetsuit in 2:00. With a wetsuit, I am around 1:40 - 1:45 without any extra effort. When I was learning to swim, I could barely manage an 100 without stopping for rest, and my best time (including rest) to swim 400 yards was 9:45. The first time I tried the wetsuit, I did a 400 in 8:02.

Edited by newLeaf 2007-06-11 1:25 PM
2007-06-12 8:13 PM
in reply to: #839266

newLeaf - 2007-06-11 2:24 PM

tri-suit and wetsuit... apples and oranges... one has absolutely nothing to do with the other.

If you are not what you would consider a strong swimmer, you should absolutely use one for your first race, regardless of what the water temperatures are (as long as they are legal of course). You can rent one if you don't want to outlay $200 or more.

The buoyancy and speed benefits of a wetsuit, for non-strong swimmers, are surprising... for example, take me... I normally swim 100 yards without a wetsuit in 2:00. With a wetsuit, I am around 1:40 - 1:45 without any extra effort. When I was learning to swim, I could barely manage an 100 without stopping for rest, and my best time (including rest) to swim 400 yards was 9:45. The first time I tried the wetsuit, I did a 400 in 8:02.

See, that's why I'm torn. I'll be doing my first tri, a sprint, in August, in warm enough water that a wetsuit won't be necessary in that respect. Plus, I've seen on several threads that most people don't wear them for sprints, especially if the water is warm. I'm a decent swimmer, and I still have 8 weeks left of training, so I could build more speed. So I'm torn as to whether to save time in transition not having to peel the thing off or possibly save time in the swim. Though I'm not awesome enough that I can imagine it would save me THAT much time.
2007-06-13 1:22 PM

User image

Champion
Chicago, Illinois
if you save as much time in the swim as it takes to take off your still probably better off since one study posted on here showed that your HR would be alot less too. If your new and espcially a good swimmer and doing it for fun I would not worry about it. If your at all scared in the water I would think about it.
2007-06-14 9:11 AM
in reply to: #842923

chirunner134 - 2007-06-13 2:22 PM

if you save as much time in the swim as it takes to take off your still probably better off since one study posted on here showed that your HR would be alot less too. If your new and espcially a good swimmer and doing it for fun I would not worry about it. If your at all scared in the water I would think about it.

Yeah, I figure it would probably just balance things out by wearing one - would rather try to make a quick T1/T2 - I was in theatre and quick changes are my game. I also read on a thread here awhile ago that at a sprint, if the water is warm, most people don't wear wetsuits. I'm not freaked about the water - I've swam (not racing, but just swam around) in lakes/rivers before and spent every summer swimming as a kid, so I don't have anxiety about the water. And I'll probably be so pumped that I won't even think about the critters in the water - and I've swam with critters before. We'll see. I have awhile to make the decision. Might also email the race director and see what people did last year.

2007-06-15 9:28 AM

User image

Expert
San Antonio, TX

If you decide to buy a wetsuit down the road their are full sleeve and sleeveless options.  It sounds like you have lots of warm water so go sleeveless.  I bought a full sleeve and now will buy the sleeveless because the water is cold but not freezing in the spring and I still feel like I'm overheating sometimes. 

Just something else to consider.  Good luck on your first tri.

K

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » newbie-Tri suit vs. Wet Suit Rss Feed