Ironhead Race Productions
80F / 27C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 46m 35s
Overall Rank = 78/121 F
Age Group = F 30-34
Age Group Rank = 17/23
Pre-race routine:

Got up at 4:00 as Teri was picking me up before 4:30. I got dressed, ate my instant breakfast, packed two slices of bread, and pumped my tires. I was out of bananas, unfortunately! Teri picked me up right on time, we loaded the bikes on the back, and drove the hour to the race site. We did get bit up by mesquitos, though, loading the bikes. I had over a dozen bites by the time the race started despite bug spray once we got parked at the race site.
Event warmup:

I rode my bike into transition, ran a loop with Teri, and swam out past the first buoy and back.
Swim
  • 18m 4s
  • 800 meters
  • 02m 16s / 100 meters
Comments:

There was a large number of buoys, so it was easy to stay on track. I was able to quickly correct when I got off-course. I still had trouble sighting off the side only and found I was still looking up, but I paid attention to look quickly and not let my feet drop. I was not able to draft a specific person as I couldn't seem to keep up with the field. I did try to draft as long as I could off the people from the next wave that sped past me. I felt I was swimming with good form and gliding more on the the back section of the triangle. The finish also appeared much sooner than I thought on the 3rd side of the triangle, so for once I didn't feel like the end was forever staying 100 meters away! I was very pleased to come out of the water in 18 minutes. I feel my progress in the pool is finally starting to pay off in open water.
What would you do differently?:

Work on sighting from breathing only.
Transition 1
  • 01m 45s
Comments:

Long run from the water to transition. Found bike and threw on all gear quickly. Had no real issues. I didn't take the time to pull the ponytail through. Time includes putting on race belt as this was required in this race.

Nothing.
Bike
  • 54m 2s
  • 16 miles
  • 17.77 mile/hr
Comments:

I believe this course was much closer to 16mph, so I adjusted the distance on this report. There is no way I averaged 18.6 mph as the official stats report.

During the ride, I tried to keep speed and cadence up. It is hard on a steady, flat course, but I was delighted to make the turn back into the park with the computer reading 17.9mph. My stretch goal was 18mph, so I was very close. My gears ticked a little during the ride, but I don't think it impacted me. I stayed in my bars very well, and came only to drink or u-turn. My u-turns were much slower than desired, so I need to work on that. I also took 3 Clif Blocks on the bike as I was hungry before the race even started! I was disappointed to only pass 4 people during the ride, with one of them a mountain bike, and one of them a girl who passed me back. I felt very inferior, but I shook it off and kept pedaling.

More leg strength exercises for more power. I need to get water on the front of the bike as I still don't drink enough. If I am going to get through an Olympic race, I need to fix this. I also need to get better at drinking from the bottles as well.
Transition 2
  • 00m 54s
Comments:

Had a little trouble re-racking bike by the drops with the new aero bars on. This was only a tiny problem, but it cost me a few seconds to get it on there right. I lost my balance a little putting running shoes on as I was trying to hold my extra running watch. I planned to carry my RS800 to watch my pace. I did put cap on while I was running out. I didn't even pull the pony tail through.

Practice racking bike by handlebars.
Run
  • 31m 50s
  • 3.11 miles
  • 10m 14s  min/mile
Comments:

My RS800 didn't appear to work without the coordinating HRM strap, so I was carrying a broken watch with no readout. Big bummer! Fortunately, the course had mile markers out. My first mile came in on pace with my personal best, but higher than my goal of 10:00. I knew then I probably couldn't finish on a 10 minute pace, but maybe I could set a personal best. Unfortunately, I started the run with a high heartrate, so I couldn't seem to pick up the pace any. My second mile was slower. The 3rd was closer to the first, but I still ended up 3 seconds slower than my personal best. Maybe I will hit it when the season cools off a bit or have a race with a shorter bike.

Slow up on the bike a bit to prepare for the run. Just put in more miles! Oh, and a tri bike couldn't hurt! :-)
Post race
Warm down:

Walked around the finish area, finished a huge bottle of water, and ate a bagel.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Strength and practice.

Last updated: 2007-06-10 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:18:04 | 800 meters | 02m 16s / 100meters
Age Group: 16/23
Overall: 83/121 F
Performance: Good
HR 172 Avg; 188 Max
Suit: Tri shorts and top
Course: Clockwise triangle around yellow buoys at the ends and orange buoys in between.
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 79F / 26C Current: Low
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Good
Breathing: Average Drafting: Below average
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 01:45
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed:
Biking
00:54:02 | 16 miles | 17.77 mile/hr
Age Group: 17/23
Overall: 83/121 F
HR 179 Avg; 186 Max
Wind: Little
Course: Straight course on main road once out of the park. It had 2 u-turns and then back into the park. It crossed two bridges over Joe Pool Lake.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence: 85
Turns: Below average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Average Hills:
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Not enough
T2
Time: 00:54
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal Average
Running
00:31:50 | 03.11 miles | 10m 14s  min/mile
Age Group: 20/23
Overall: 84/121 F
1st mile 10:16 HR 180 Avg; 185 Max 2nd mile 10:20 HR 182 Avg; 187 Max 3rd mile+ 11:14 HR 183 Avg;
Course: Course with two looped sections and one u-turn. It was a pleasant run with 4 water stations. They had ice in the cups, which I also dumped on my head to stay cool.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2007-06-11 2:01 PM

User image

Plano, TX
Subject: Metroplex Sprint Triathlon

2007-06-12 9:48 AM
in reply to: #839356

User image

Expert
Plano, TX
Subject: RE: Metroplex Sprint Triathlon

Great race, Beth!!

Sorry about the ticking on the bike.  If only I hadn't cleaned the chain the night before... But at least you got taped handlebars, right?

(and yes, I see the little dig about a new bike.  :P )

2007-06-12 10:32 AM

User image

Champion
the colony texas
wow and I thought my HR was high,,

Great job out there, it seemed pretty humid to me when I started the run, but you still did excellent race
2007-06-12 12:28 PM

User image

Expert
Longview, TX
Congrats on a good race.  Keep it up, and you'll get an olympic under your belt.
2007-06-12 12:54 PM
in reply to: #840638

User image

Plano, TX
Yes, I know my HR is high.  It has plagued me since I can ever remember, even when I did aerobics when I was 18.  I haven't been able to keep it low, but I keep trying slow runs to see if it corrects itself over time.  I wish there were a quick fix.
2007-06-12 2:27 PM

User image

Champion
Dallas, TX
Looks like you had a great race and achieved your goals. Congratulations!

2007-06-12 8:55 PM

User image

Excellent race, Beth. Your bike performance has really improved!!
2007-06-16 11:11 AM

User image

Expert
Wylie, TX
You really had a solid race. That high HR is no problem for you youngsters. If that was me, it would equal an abulance.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Metroplex Sprint Triathlon Rss Feed