Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 1

2004-09-20 1:58 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Horse Country
Subject: Swim HELP - I CAN"T BREATHE!!
HELP!

First, yes, I'm taking a swim class at the Y, (this is week 4) and hopefully that will help...

I never really learned how to do the crawl a.k.a. freestyle stroke, and how that I'm going to do a triathlon, I figured I'd better learn...

I understand the basic stroke, and I've read Total Immersion and am working on some of the basic balance drills...

But when I try to do the stroke, after about the first breath, I completely lose my cool. I can get maybe one more arm stroke before I'm so messed up I have to stop. I just can't seem to get the rhythm down or something. It's very frustrating, and it's keeping me from practicing it enough to get any good. I think there's a little bit of "out of breath panic" that sets in or something, although I have no deep fear of the water (just this stroke!) and I can breathe fine if doing backstroke or breaststroke...

I plan to ask my swim teacher for some extra help at our next class, and maybe that will help.

Can some of you better swimmers offer some stories, tips, or advice on how to get past this? Is it just something that will take some time, or are there some specific tricks I can use to teach myself how to get this down?

Anything you've got would help. I'm so fed up right now, I'm thinking of just saying "forget it!" and breast-stroking all my swims...

Oh, and one more potentially useful bit of diagnostic info... I'm quite out of shape (no upper body to speak of), so even after 1 length of backstroke I'm pretty winded (high HR). I've worked up to 50yd breast before a break...

:-O :-O

2004-09-20 2:20 PM
in reply to: #64167

User image

Veteran
Indianapolis, IN
Subject: RE: Swim HELP - I CAN"T BREATHE!!
I wish I could offer some help but I've been swimming since I was 4 so it is instinctual at this point. The only thing I can think to say is be smooth, dont flail, flailing is only going to get you tired. By being smooth you splash less water in your face.

The other thing to work on is finishing your stroke. Make sure your hand comes all the way though the stroke. A way to make sure that your doing this is to brush your thigh with your thumb as you come through the stroke.

Good luck!! Once you get this, swimming distance will become easier and easier. Swimming helped me develop my lungs enough to overcome my asthma.

Out of curiousity, are you afraid of the water or just having trouble with the mechanics of the stroke?

Learn this stroke!! It is sooooo much faster than the breaststroke!!!

You will get it!!!! Dont give up on it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Edited by satchmo72 2004-09-20 2:35 PM
2004-09-20 2:34 PM

User image

Master
Mechanicsburg, PA
A couple of things. If you are working on the TI skills, at what point of putting things together are you having problems? Maybe go a step or 2 back and make sure that you have those skills down pat. Don't be in too much of a hurry for this. My freestyle stinks, so I swam the breaststroke for my first race. Now that I have until next season, I plan to really work on my freestyle stroke from here on out. So much of this does take time though. Everything that you have learned on land - moving, breathing, thinking - means so very little in the water. The best thing you can do is to NOT practice struggle. You're doing the right thing by stopping when it starts to "fall apart." The other thing that I would recommend has to do with your breathing. Freestyle especially does not allow you tons of time to get your breath in. It is vitally important that you have empty lungs when your face breaks the surface. You want to make sure that the majority of your breathing above the surface is inhaling. Exhale underwater. I've said it here in other posts, but 2/3 of your O2/CO2 exchange happens in the lower 1/3 of your lungs. CO2 is what makes you want to breathe and if you aren't getting it OUT of your lungs, you can start to feel the struggle to breathe. CO2 is also quite narcotic. This effect is much more pronounced underwater while scuba diving, but at the surface, CO2 retention can absolutely contribute to a feeling of panic. Take your time. Don't struggle.

I hope that helps.
-Frank

Edited by scuba-punk 2004-09-20 2:53 PM
2004-09-20 2:58 PM

Extreme Veteran
I would also suggest slowing down. Try to swim as slow as you can and when you have rotated to take your breath, just stay there until you get your breath in. I'm sure your swim coach will provide a lot of help, but the important thing is to stay with it. It will come.
2004-09-20 3:13 PM

Master
portland, or
The good news: it will get better!

Here's something you can try that might help you get more comfortable. Hold onto the edge of the pool and extend yourself and kick just enough to keep your legs afloat while holding the edge. Now practice slowly turning your body, with your head following. Take a breath, then turn back towards the water and fully exhale with your face in the water. Do this 10 times at the start of your swim sessions.

The key points:
Fully exhale with your face in the water.
Inhale - ONCE - with your head and body turned (it's common to try and breathe in-out-in before turning back to the water. This will cause you to hyperventilate.
Keep your head in line with your body as you turn. Don't lift your head to breathe.
The body starts the turn, and the head follows.

You can progress from this to swimming "catch-up" with a kickboard. Hold the kickboard in front of you with your arms outstretched and face down. Start kicking then release one hand from the board, take a stroke and turn to breathe, recover and turn back to the water to exhale while "catching the board". Repeat to the other side.

These drills are just to get you comfortable with breathing. Remember to always breathe out fully with your face in the water. Go slow, and don't try to shorten a breath.

Good luck.

scott
2004-09-20 3:50 PM

User image

Regular
Grand Rapids, Minnesota
Just some encouragement from a new swimmer. Just keep practicing. I had to learn to swim to tri as well. The first few times I couldn't make it a pool length. Just start slow, don't freak out over it- it will come. And to echo others advice- swim slow & steady. And before your first race, swim in a lake a few times!

2004-09-20 4:12 PM

Versailles, KY
Same here - no swimming background - breast stroke every other lap saved me! It really does get better!!! Didn't freak out 1st tri - just knowing I could breathe doing breast stroke kept me calm.
2004-09-20 4:25 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Horse Country
Hey, thanks for the responses! Some great advice...

Lesseee... No, I'm not afraid of the water... I think what messes me up is more of an instinctual lack-of-oxygen reflex caused by not being used to the breathing... Like I said, I have no problem with the other strokes... or diving, kayaking, etc...

My swim class teacher showed us the catch-up drills... I tried them and they do seem to help... but it just hasn't "stuck" yet...

I've only just started doing the TI drills... I am focusing on "pressing the buoy" right now, and just introduced the rolling over on the back to breathe... haven't gotten any farther...

I think (based on these responses) one of my problems is not fully exhaling underwater... I seem to have a little air left to get out when I come up, so that shortens the time I have to inhale... leading to an O2 shortage for the next breath...

I think I'm a little bit afraid that if I fully exhale underwater I'll either reflexively inhale a bit of water before I rotate, or I'll black out before I get more air... something only a bunch of practice and familiarity will cure...

Sounds like a bunch more "catch up" and that poolside drill, along with some advice from the swim teacher will cure the problem...

Thanks!!
2004-09-20 5:01 PM

User image

Altadena, CA
I've been swimming since I jumped in the pool at just over 1 year of age, so take my advice with a grain of salt -- I haven't had to learn the coordination of swimming as an adult.

There are two things I would recommend.
1. Visualize. Sit on the edge of the pool, close your eyes, and see yourself swimming freestyle correctly. Keep visualizing until you feel comfortable with what you see. Then jump in and give it a try. Stay focused on what you visualized and it will slowly come together. If you begin to have problems, stop and visualize yourself swimming properly. Then try again. This is an excellent drill. It sounds a little hookie but it really works. It gives your brain a chance to figure out what it needs to do before you do it.

2. In the shallow end of the pool practice just your upper body movements. It sounds like you might be having a bit of a timing/coordination issue. Stand on the bottom of the pool, put your face in the water and start moving your arms in freestyle fashion. Trying breathing at the right time. Practice exhaling completely underwater. Hopefully, this will give you a greater sense of security until you get the motions worked out. The tough part of swimming freestyle is the upper body coordination -- kicking is just to keep your feet floating so you stay horizontal.

The most important thing is practice. One day you'll go to the pool for a lesson or workout and it will all work.. Try to stay patient.

Good luck.
2004-09-20 5:28 PM
in reply to: #64266

User image

Veteran
Indianapolis, IN
I was at the pool the other day and there was this guy who stopped me and asked how you dont get water up you nose all of the time and I guess I never thought about it but you breathe out just a bit through your nose so no water gets in but like I said, it becomes habit.

Maybe learning from the guys that have been in the water awhile is tougher than it seems. I think it is tougher to teach if your used to the water because i honestly have forgotten what it was like to be new to the water.

I say listen to the newer guys, they are right there with ya, I just wish I could be too to make sure you learn the great sport of swimming and keep with it!!!

You'll get it, it will click one day. Just keep practicing.

2004-09-20 5:40 PM

User image

Champion
Williamston, Michigan
The kickbaord advice is really good. I've been working out with some real swimmers and we have been using fins. You may want to try that. First of all its totally fun and you feel like you are flying thru the water. Second you can work on all your upper body stuff, turning and breathing and its soooooo much easier. When I have fins on I can really concentrate on my stroke and less on just getting to the end of the pool. When you take them off your kick feels much better too. Then use the kicboard to work on kicking, and breathing then put it all together. I have a friend I train with who is a poor swimmer and she loves fins. Hope this helps -S

2004-09-20 5:59 PM

User image

Windsor, ON
I've been a certified swim instructor for almost a decade so I hope I can help...

The "catch-up" drills that others have mentioned are good. You said they haven't been helping too much, and one thing I often found with students was that problems in that drill came simply from trying to control the flutter board with one hand during the stroke. Often times I would simply walk in front of a student with hands out/palms up, and have them use my hands as their "flutter board" while doing the catch-up drill. They didn't have to worry about controlling it, and I could also correct their stroke rhythm during the drill simply by holding onto one hand until it was time to switch. As their stroke improved, I would let them put less and less pressure on my hands until they weren't touching them anymore.

And the other sugeestions about breathing are spot on as well. You may even want to do some simple breathing drills just to make sure the rhythm of your bretahing is correct - do lengths of kicking while holding onto a flutter board, practicing exhaling under the water and breathing to the side at regular intervals. You may want to use a pool noodle for this drill instead of a board though, as you can place your arms farther apart so there isn't so much strain on the neck and shoulders when you turn your head to breathe.

2004-09-20 6:05 PM

Regular
I could swim before I could walk. Unfortuantly I was no good at it and then I stopped years ago. Now I have exactly the same problem as you. I was panicing and trying to breath out and in when I came up to breath.

I'm taking it really slowly ... I mean really slowly. I practice lying face down gentally kicking my legs with my arms out in front of me. Then evey 10s or so taking a single stroke and breathing alternating the sides. Not sure if anyone else will recommend it but it gives me plenty of time to think about my balance in the water and at such a low intensity I can hold my breath for much longer so breathing isn't really a panic.

When I up the pace it all goes a bit wrong but I'm gradually getting a bit faster now.
2004-09-20 7:57 PM

User image

Master
Mechanicsburg, PA
If you think that you are going to start to inspire water with your face down, then don't exhale every last cubic centimeter of air before turning to breathe... You certainly don't want to empty your lungs as soon as your face hits the water, but you want to time it so that when your mouth breaks the surface of the water, you are ready to inhale. Just keep practicing good stuff. Remember, practice does not make perfect. It only makes permanent. Perfect practice makes perfect. Keep going strong and use every resource at your disposal.

-Frank
2004-09-20 8:36 PM

Waco, TX
I can TOTALLY relate, and I'm working through the same problems. Plus my husband is a fish, so although going to him for help, he also doesn't exactly know what to say. You know, "well, just breathe out into the water and breathe in when your face is out of the water." DUH!!!

Here's what's helped me, and it actually took a bit for me to put it all together. I had to really slow down. The part I didn't get was how to slow down, because I felt like I was flailing around. I sit on the side of the pool and visualize where I'm going and how I'm going to get there...then turn my arms slower than my average flail. It seems to be working. Although I still have to rest a few seconds every length, I can now swim freestyle much further than when I started.

Good luck!

Christi
2004-09-20 10:14 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Horse Country
Again, thanks for all the responses!!

I think the visualization exercises will also help... as will the edge of the pool drill.

Just to clarify, the "catch-up" drill with the kickboard did help a lot, I think.. I just haven't done very much of it.

Sounds like I'm already doing a lot of what it will take to "get it" - I just need some patience for the additional practice until my brain figures it out...

The support here has been great! I'll let you all know how it goes...

2004-09-21 1:02 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Horse Country
WOW!! Big difference!!!

I did about 8 laps of "catch up" with a kickboard today. I still haven't quite "got it", but I can see definite improvement. I also switched to breathing on my right side, rather than left. It feels unnatural for me to do that, but I'm much better coordinated than on the left side.

I think with some more practice and these drills, I'll have it down before Christmas!! :-)

Seriously, thanks all for the tips and encouragement. I'll be zooming along in the pool in no time!!
2004-09-21 1:47 PM

User image

Coach
Stairway to Seven
If you havn't already, I would reccomend getting one of the TI videos. I have been a lifelong swimmer, but bought the book "total immersion", was impressed by it, but my stroke didn't improve all that much. A year later, I borrowed a TI video, and in 2 days, my stroke was markedly improved. He has changed many of his teaching skills between the first book and the current videos, and the current videos are better, I think. He no longer teaches "pressing the buoy", but "hiding the head"...same difference in the end, but there are additional drills like "sweet spot" that will help you feel like you can breath.

GOod luck!
2004-09-24 1:52 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Horse Country
I GOT IT!!!

Swim lessons last night, I was a few minutes late, just in time to crawl the length of the pool.... Only about 15 yards (small pool), but something "clicked" and it was almost easy! At one point I almost forgot that I was breathing.

Now, my form is still horrible, and I'm slow and efficient, but I went from flailing in the water and stopping after one breath to smoothly swimming the length of the pool - and back - nonstop with some confidence!!!!

YAAAAY!!!!
2004-09-24 3:46 PM
in reply to: #64657

User image

Veteran
San Diego, CA
BGTwinDad - 2004-09-21 10:02 AM

WOW!! Big difference!!!

I also switched to breathing on my right side, rather than left. It feels unnatural for me to do that, but I'm much better coordinated than on the left side.

I read your last post, congrats on getting it! now it just takes practice to smooth it all out. One thing, some unsolicited advice...once you are comfortable with the breathing thing, learn to breath on BOTH sides. I started out on the left side cause it felt natural. After about 3 weeks of 700m-2000m per day, I found my neck was killing me on the off side. I had to force myself to swim every other length breathing oppisite for about 2 weeks till things 'evened out'. Now I make sure that I switch sides equally in a work out to avoid this. Also, a wise person on this board (I don't remember which, there are so many) said that breathing on both sides can help in open water swims with all the splashing, wavlets ect.

Hope this helps some, and keep strokin!
2004-09-24 5:08 PM

User image

Master
Sonoma County, CA
Congratulations on your progress!
Remember the feeling you had after those successful swims and be sure to carry that with you and bring it out if you feel yourself bogged down again....

2004-09-24 6:10 PM

User image

Master
Mechanicsburg, PA
Way to go! See, sometimes, it just takes time. Take it slow and easy. Now that you know what it feels like when it clicks, you got something to strive for each time.

-Frank
2004-09-25 7:20 AM

Veteran
Albury, Oz
Wear a snorkel! It can help for that breath holding feeling and it is good in the initial stages to stop you from developing a one sided breathing pattern. You don't have to use it all the time but you can work on your glide and stroke without having to get stewed about your breathing. Consider this another drill to add to your repertoire! Good luck Dx
2004-09-25 11:50 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
New Orleans, LA
I was the same way. I couldn't swim two strokes.
I bought the Freestyle Made Easy DVD from Terry. My wife and I did all the drills in our 35' pool and then progressed to a larger public pool.

It is great. Give it a shot.
http://www.totalimmersion.net/

2004-09-26 12:39 AM

User image

Coach
Stairway to Seven
regarding breathing on both sides...

I always breath towards the window side of the pool if it's light (so I can see the sunshine), and the wall side of the pool if it's dark out (too scary to look out the window). This ensures that I am getting balanced breathing on both sides as well as not "forgetting" which side I breathed on last time if trying ot alternate sides every time.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Swim HELP - I CAN"T BREATHE!! Rss Feed  

of 1