General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Pre-Race and Race Hydration for Sprint Races Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2007-06-18 3:57 PM

User image

Salt Lake City
Subject: Pre-Race and Race Hydration for Sprint Races

Do you think there would be any consequence to drinking 20 oz ( in 10 minutes) of overly strong Cytomax Sports drink, one hour before your race?

Any comments on a recommended hydration regimen for pre-race and race conditions.

I stomached cramped badly on Saturday and I think it was due to the stupidity of the above-referenced action on my part. It was a mistake that I would like to avoid in the future, so eveyone's input is appreciated.

Thanks.

2007-06-18 4:50 PM
in reply to: #849424

User image

Pro
Melbourne FL
Gold member
Subject: RE: Pre-Race and Race Hydration for Sprint Races

Sounds like you didn't follow the suggested use, "overly strong", does that mean more than 1.5-2 scoops?  I know I couldn't stomach 20oz of fluid full of carbs that quick.

Suggested Use:
Suggested Use: Mix one to one and a half scoops to CYTOMAX in 16 oz. of water. Begin drinking 15-30 minutes into exercise. Drink 5 oz. every 15 minutes. After training, slowly drink another 16 oz. over the next hour to aid in recovery.

Hydration I work on the days before the event.  Come morning of a race (regardless of length) I have some water, a Banana and coffee.  I hit a gel right before the start of the event 5-10 minutes beforehand with about 6-8 oz water.  I'll consume 16-24 oz water/hr on the bike and during a sprint I may take another gel depending on the length of the run afterwards.  A recovery drink after a race for me will also contain protein in it.

2007-06-18 5:13 PM
in reply to: #849504

User image

Salt Lake City

Yes, I know.  I misplace the measuring scope but even still, I just spaced. Even if I measured it correctly, no wonder my stomach was knotted up.  Thanks for providing me with the honest feedback.  It wasn't like this was my first race either.  I got caught up in the "heat" of the day. At 6:30 pm the night of registration, it was still 105 degrees.  But it was a terrible mistake and it cost me my third place finish. I was two minutes up on the guy who passed me due to my tank on the run. I deserved that one. Lesson learned.

Again my thanks.

2007-06-18 5:16 PM
in reply to: #849536

Extreme Veteran
ut_tri_465 - 2007-06-18 6:13 PM

Yes, I know. I misplace the measuring scope but even still, I just spaced. Even if I measured it correctly, no wonder my stomach was knotted up. Thanks for providing me with the honest feedback. It wasn't like this was my first race either. I got caught up in the "heat" of the day. At 6:30 pm the night of registration, it was still 105 degrees. But it was a terrible mistake and it cost me my third place finish. I was two minutes up on the guy who passed me due to my tank on the run. I deserved that one. Lesson learned.

Again my thanks.

Sorry to hear the bad luck. Reminds us all even if we are experienced we sometimes space and do what we tell others not to. I know it has happened to me.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Pre-Race and Race Hydration for Sprint Races Rss Feed