General Discussion Race Reports! » Atlanta Gay & Lesbian 5K Pride Run/Walk Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Atlanta Gay & Lesbian 5K Pride Run/Walk - Run5k

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Atlanta, Georgia
United States
Front Runners Atlanta
75F / 24C
Sunny
Total Time = 53m 54s
Overall Rank = ?/???
Age Group = 35-39
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

Got up late, had a massive headache when the alarm first went off and hit the snooze a few too many times. Started in on the hydration. Ate a banana at 6:30 a.m. with plans for a Clif Bar when I got to the parking lot at the race, but I was not hungry nor could I fathom eating anything at that point. Finished about 36 ounces of water before race start. Hit the porta potty at what was suppose to be 15 minutes until race start.
Event warmup:

Not a lot of warm up. The plan was to work the kinks out in the first mile then open up from there. I did try to stretch out the calves a bit, but was afraid to stretch too hard with the muscles not being that warm.
Run
  • 53m 54s
  • 3.1 miles
  • 17m 23s  min/mile
Comments:

I was not last! That was really the only goal for today. I had hoped to aim for 15 minute miles, but knew that was not going to happen after Thursday. It was an educating race though. I was passed lots in the beginning, but slow and steady doesn't finish the race last, and I passed some of those towards the end. After the torturous first mile, I started to find a rhythm by the second and in the third I caught a second wind. There was a long down hill shortly after the mile two marker and I ran down the whole thing. I also ran down the hill to the finish. I had hoped to do a lot more running in this race, but sadly with my bruised body it did not happen. And even though I went to the bathroom before the start of the race, by the time I got to their first mile marker I had to pee like a race horse. I managed to block it out and did not think about it much again until I crossed the finish line.
What would you do differently?:

For starters, not have such a massive workout two days before a race. Secondly, stick with the race plan. The plan was to ease in the first mile, kick it up on the second and have a blazing third with a nice little negative split. But it was my first race, and like all good newbies, when the start went off and the cheer went up and everyone started to run, well hot damn, I wanted to run too! I ran as long as I could (which really isn't long at all) and then went into my walk. Well, running when not properly warmed up is not quite the smartest thing, top that off with the shin splints I have had for the last two days and my already tore up calves went into massive cramps. I spent the first mile just trying to stay in the race. I had nightmares running through my head that my cramping calves would go into a charlie horse and I would fall screaming to the ground to be taken off the course by medics before I even got to the first mile marker. After I got my wits about me, I focused on my Chirunning stuff and made my priority relaxing my lower legs. It helped a lot and while the pain never went totally away during the race, it made it endurable.
Post race
Warm down:

I walked around a lot just looking for water. There was really none to be found which is not very encouraging being that was I was pouring sweat and had my heart set on a cold drink. I did manage to find a single cup left over on a table. After swigging that, I stretched my calves and Achilles out for about five minutes. Then I walked to my truck and got the frozen bottle of Gatorade out and the Clif bar I had not eaten. I walked back to the race area to chow that down and stretch out some more.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Besides genetics? I remember every time we did long marches in the military, whether they be road or tactical, I would look enviously at those with 36 inch inseams with their long strides who barely broke a sweat at a 4mph pace, while me with my little stubby legs huffed and puffed to keep up. I thought a lot of the same today.

Other than bad genes, refer to what I would do differently. Also, I am only on my fifth week of training. I did not expect to blaze a trail. I am rather happy I just finished.

Event comments:

This is not a large event. I would guess around four to five hundred racers. Front Runners is a small club, so while as a newbie I really did not know what to expect out of a race, I knew enough to know this is not a top of the line one. But all the volunteers were great, the course well marked, and I got a nifty t-shirt. The race did not start on time, but instead went into gay time, which was to be expected. There was only one water station just past the first mile marker, but since the fast racers where finishing the race before I even finished my first mile, I guess a lot of water could not be expected out on the course. I would have liked to have seen more after the race though. Whole Foods did have a nice food table set up with bagels, bananas and the likes.

Last updated: 2007-06-05 12:00 AM
Running
00:53:54 | 03.1 miles | 17m 23s  min/mile
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/???
Performance: Below average
I had the HR monitor on, but that does not mean I worked it right...
Course: It was a nice scenic rolling course around Grant Park. It only gave me just enough of a taste on hills to know I am going to be hurting at the Peachtree next week.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? No
Lots of volunteers? No
Plenty of drinks? No
Post race activities: Below average
Race evaluation [1-5] 3

{postbutton}
2007-06-23 10:18 PM

User image

Veteran
Okiehoma
Subject: Atlanta Gay & Lesbian 5K Pride Run/Walk
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Atlanta Gay & Lesbian 5K Pride Run/Walk Rss Feed