General Discussion Race Reports! » Guelph Lake Weekend - Sprint Triathlon Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Guelph Lake Weekend - Sprint Triathlon - TriathlonSprint

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Guelph, Ontario
Canada
Trisport Canada
22C / 72F
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 35m 55s
Overall Rank = 363/491
Age Group = M19-
Age Group Rank = 7/7
Pre-race routine:

Let me start off by saying this wasn't one of my better races. In fact, it was my worst race of all time. But, I will get to that later. As I write this on monday night I'm still feeling reprocussions. But anyway...

Friday: Exam in the morning. Then packed for most of the race. Followed by a suprise birthday party and a concert at the waterfront festival. Go in at 10:20ish, finished packing, and went to bed.

Saturday: Got up at 6:45am, left at 7:30. Had to have a coffee as my race isn't until 1pm. Helped get dad set up and registered, set up my TA, and hunkered down. Actually helped a few beginners get set up as well. Then sat back, had a sandwich, watched the race. Saw Jon in transition, it was good to see a familiar face. I was talking with the motorcycle OAT official who is a friend of mine. He was saying that Brampton next will be televised. Dang, humiliation on national television.
Event warmup:

Right after the Try-a-try I did a little 10min bike warm up, then a short 1k run warm up. Chewed the fat a bit, then suited up. Went down to the beach Splashed around, did a few strokes and sighting and got to the start.
Swim
  • 17m 28s
  • 750 meters
  • 02m 20s / 100 meters
Comments:

The horn when off so I ran in the water, tried to find some realestate to swim in. Finally found some so I....swam. About halfway to the first buoy I was drafting and someone kicked into my hand. Tweaked my shoulder the wrong way so I rolled over, caught my breath and continued on. Tweaked it again on the way back but no biggie.
What would you do differently?:

Well that was an absolutly HORRID swim for me. I have hardly swam in 2 and a half months. Dang, shoulder.

And train.
Transition 1
  • 02m 17s
Comments:

Rather poor T1 too. as soon as I crossed the timeing mat my calves went bezerk. So I stretched them and my suit got stuck, joy. Then going out on the bike my right shoe's elastic broke so the left shoe dropped straight down. Great.

PAM my suit, not cramp.

Bike
  • 35m 23s
  • 19 kms
  • 32.22 km/hr
Comments:

I really didn't like this ride. Had good and poor places. Going by Grant Darby (amputee who spoke at our school once and had a better swim then me) I gave him props. I had some really good hills, then others I could hardly go up. I usually hammer them, but some were...I don't know. Like someone just turned on the choke on my engine.then 30sec later I could go again.

Looking at the reasults now I had the second fastest bike for my age group. Wow, I thought it wasn't very good.

I don't actually know. Mental prep maybe.

And train.
Transition 2
  • 01m 19s
Comments:

I had to stretch out again, but it was a decent transition.

Not cramp?
Run
  • 39m 29s
  • 5 kms
  • 07m 54s  min/km
Comments:

Well got out easily enough. Once I was out of view from TA my calves went again. once I was over that my intercostals (muscles between ribs) went. Oh god, I'd get it under cintrol then take a few strides.....BAM! Oh god I would double over. I pretty muched walked the entire thing. To Jon and Timmy, walking with me for a bit was much appreciated. Really, thank you. Closing in on the finish line a paramedic sitting ran up beside me asking if I was ok, since I was clutching my chest. "You ok there bud?" "I don't know." "Can you make it?" "To the finish yes, after that not sure" So I saw him go in the radio. I sorta ran down the finish chute, I heard on guys call out "C'mon you can take him! He's in pain!" yep, thats me.

Not cramp.

Training would have helped I guess, but I never got to push to my potential. My HR was LOW LOW LOW! I was not tired that much, if the pain wasn't there I would have RUN!
Post race
Warm down:

Well I was hauled into the med tent almost before they took off my timing chip. The Doc came to me. Did some breathing and blood pressure checks. He came to the conclusion it was just a stitch, but: "The same pain can be caused by a partially colllapsed lung. So if it still hurts in a bit, come back." Fun.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Cramping for sure. I just wasn't with it. I crunched the numbers, and even if I had a 27min 5K I still would have podiumed if I didn't cramp. THATS PODIUM! UGH!

Last updated: 2007-06-02 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:17:28 | 750 meters | 02m 20s / 100meters
Age Group: 5/7
Overall: 210/491
Performance: Bad
Suit: Orca Speedsuit
Course: clockwise rectangle
Start type: Run Plus: Waves
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current: Low
200M Perf. Below average Remainder: Below average
Breathing: Average Drafting: Average
Waves: Bad Navigation: Below average
Rounding: Average
T1
Time: 02:17
Cap removal: Average Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? Yes Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
00:35:23 | 19 kms | 32.22 km/hr
Age Group: 2/7
Overall: 85/491
Performance: Below average
Wind: Some
Course: Almost loop style out and back.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Average
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:19
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Average
Running
00:39:29 | 05 kms | 07m 54s  min/km
Age Group: 0/7
Overall: 0/491
Course: Out and back, two turn-arounds.
Keeping cool Below average Drinking Too much
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Below average
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 1
Good race? No
Evaluation
Course challenge
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5]

{postbutton}
2007-06-25 10:23 PM

Master
Subject: Guelph Lake Weekend - Sprint Triathlon

2007-06-26 6:02 AM
in reply to: #860047

User image

Expert
Sarnia, Ontario
Subject: RE: Guelph Lake Weekend - Sprint Triathlon
Chalk it up as a learning experience!  You'll bounce back as you continue to recover from your earlier injuries.
2007-06-26 8:29 AM
in reply to: #860047

User image

Master
Calgary, Alberta
Subject: RE: Guelph Lake Weekend - Sprint Triathlon

Sorry to read about a bad race but way to perservere.  Keep at it Junior.  I'm sure you'll have a great next race.

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Guelph Lake Weekend - Sprint Triathlon Rss Feed