General Discussion Race Reports! » San Diego International Triathlon - Sprint Course Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

San Diego International Triathlon - Sprint Course - TriathlonSprint

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
San Diego, California
United States
Koz Enterprises
71F / 22C
Overcast
Total Time = 1h 46m 5s
Overall Rank = 194/234
Age Group = Clydesdale
Age Group Rank = 7/9
Pre-race routine:

Well, since this was my "Cherry" i don't have a "routine" yet so this could be it.

Woke up at 5:15 brought bags to the car from hotel room. Ate half a bannana muffin, drank 20oz. water and half a yogurt/ granola bar.

Got to the race at 5:45-5:50 set up transition drank 20o0z. of water till the start of race 2 hours later.
Event warmup:

light streatching and short warm-up strokes in water prior to start. (should have streached more.)
Swim
  • 10m 18s
  • 547 yards
  • 01m 53s / 100 yards
Comments:

I felt great when I was swimming but had issues with water filling up my left goggle. so every 10-15 strokes I had to do a modified breast/side stroke and get the water out of the goggle. This really had an effect on sighting the buoys and I felt blind in that eye once I got out of the water and into the transition area. Was more of a mental issue because i felt strong while swimming and did not feel winded at all at the first transition.
What would you do differently?:

Need to work on sighting the buoys in the open water. Will practice that in the next 6 weeks. Other than that i just have to work out my equiptment issues and get used to the elbows
Transition 1
  • 03m 17s
Comments:

Thyis is obviously something i could work on to get better times but at this stage in my training just finishing a race is desired. So overall i felt fine about this transition.

Maybe a little practice jogging in my bike shoes could help me get used to that feeling.
Bike
  • 47m 28s
  • 12.43 miles
  • 15.71 mile/hr
Comments:

Got on the bike easy and then the first 6 miles of the 13 mile ride was ALL UP HILL! This was a little painful but I chugged all the way up and kept telling myself it’d be all better on the way down. 1/4 of the way down I though my back tire was getting flat (this had been a concern as I noticed that both tires were a little low when i set up the transition in the morning) so I contemplated stopping, then I looked at my speedometer and I had reached a top speed of 37 MPH, so I decided i had to check the tire for fear of taking a turn and loosing control. Tire was fine, and around the next turn I saw some poor bloody bastard being hauled away in an ambulance next to a slightly twisted bike, I was then patting myself on the back for being so cautious. Got off the bike and walked gingerly into the transition

Train on some more hills and longer distances.
Transition 2
  • 03m 2s
Comments:

Tired! pulled on socks, knee brace, sneakers, sucked down a sports drink, put on hat, grabbed a gel pack and ran out.

IO think getting the quick pull laces will help, i was not happy while tying up my laces so this will change. Also i did not roll my socks prior so i'll do this next time.
Run
  • 42m
  • 3.73 miles
  • 11m 16s  min/mile
Comments:

Sucked = Shin Splints. But I powered through ‘em. I ended up walking and running all the way to the finish although I made sure to do the final mile all running. Surprisingly the shins are not feeling as bad as the knee is today.
Post race
Warm down:

Again light streatching for post race as i did pre race. There seemed to be a great deal of activity at the end event but as the finish line was 3 miles away from the start i did not want to stay much longer than i needed to warm down as i had friends back at the start/ transiotion area. I did get some power bar samples, some orange slices, and water/ OJ for the shuttle back to the start area.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Overall performance wise i think i need to continue with my own training and add a few more leangthy brick workouts. also the shin splints really hindered my run training and overall performance so i'm going to nurse those for a few weeks and try to get it under control so that i can really get some good training in for the run.

Event comments:

Popping my cherry in San Diego was fun and I can't wait to do it again!

Last updated: 2007-05-29 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:10:18 | 547 yards | 01m 53s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/9
Overall: 0/234
Performance: Good
Suit: full leged , sleveless Pro-Motion
Course: seemed easy enough. with the start in the water everyone was prety much spread out and there was not much congestion at the first two buoys.
Start type: Deep Water Plus: Waves
Water temp: 58F / 14C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Average
Breathing: Good Drafting: Bad
Waves: Below average Navigation: Bad
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 03:17
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? Yes Run with bike: No
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
00:47:28 | 12.43 miles | 15.71 mile/hr
Performance: Average
Wind: Little
Course: I was not expecting it to be SO uphill. I had read that it was a "hilly" course but 6 miles of 13 UP HILL was a bit much for my first Tri.
Road: Potholes Dry Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Good Hills: Below average
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 03:02
Overall: Below average
Riding w/ feet on shoes Bad
Jumping off bike Below average
Running with bike Bad
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal Below average
Running
00:42:00 | 03.73 miles | 11m 16s  min/mile
Performance:
Course:
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2007-06-25 11:08 PM

Subject: San Diego International Triathlon - Sprint Course

2007-06-26 2:26 PM
in reply to: #860085

User image

Regular
So. Cal.
Subject: RE: San Diego International Triathlon - Sprint Course
Nice job on the 1st Tri!

I was in the olympic distance and agree, that hill on the bike was brutal, but coming down was sure fun!.

Again, gratz!

2007-06-26 9:52 PM

Thanks, I can't wait for next year. At least I'll know how to prepare for that hill!
2007-06-27 8:19 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Budapest, Pest Megye
Good job! Way to go and power through those shin splints! I did the Oly distance myself and it was my third tri after a sprint and the Sacramento Oly.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » San Diego International Triathlon - Sprint Course Rss Feed