General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Plus Size Tri Gear Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 5

2007-06-29 11:57 PM

User image

Master
Long Beach, CA
Subject: Plus Size Tri Gear
OK...I have to ask. Those of you that are "plus size"...any suggestions for tri gear? I'm looking for a wetsuit and know I'll have to wear the largest men's size, but I was wondering if anyone has had luck with any brands. Also, I'm looking for a tri suit, preferably one piece. Any suggestions for brands?

Thanks so much!

2007-06-30 12:07 AM
in reply to: #866930

User image

SoCal
Subject: RE: Plus Size Tri Gear
I can't really help with the wetsuit; I bought an Aqua Sphere Swim Skin off of Ebay last year, tried it a few times, and don't really like it.

However, Danskin makes an XXL tri suit, and I have four of them (managed to find them on clearance at REI a while back and stocked up!). I was able to wear it comfortably last year at 250 pounds and a size 20-22, but it's a little more comfortable this year at 240 and a size 18.

I also just bought a mens Zoot XXL tri suit off of Ebay and it's a little big on me, particularly in the shoulders/upper body area. It might be worth looking into something like that, too.

2007-06-30 12:54 AM

User image

Master
Long Beach, CA
OK...it's like you're reading my mind. I bookmarked two things to call REI about tomorrow - the Danskin tri suit and the sleeveless Men's XXL Zoot. I'm 274 and a size 22-24. I was afraid the Danskin tri suit wouldn't fit, but now I want to go try it on. I'm hoping both are in stock. I'd rather try them on then order and hope for the best! Thanks so much!!!
2007-06-30 6:01 PM

User image

Champion
MA

Promotion makes womens wetsuits up to size 18 or 20 and they run large so most folks go down a size...I'm guessing they may fit a 22 or 24 depending on your body type. If you are a curvy women a women's wetsuit will fit your curves much better than a man's wetsuit.

I'd recommend taking your measurements and call and see if one would fit. They are sponsor of BT and you get a 10% discount with the BT code.

I'd suggest not going with a one piece suit. You can get tri shorts and wear a wicking type top from Target or even a bike jersey under your wetsuit. I don't think one peice tri suits are very attractive on most folks and it is much harder to go to the bathroom...and they aren't as flexible fitting.

Some tri stuff comes in women's XXL or men's XXL....tri-sports.com also a sponsor here on BT and you get a discount as well. I wanted longer tri shorts that would support me so I wouldn't feel jiggly. I called them and they were great at recommending a brand and size...they really know there stuff.

Edited by KathyG 2007-06-30 6:02 PM
2007-06-30 6:22 PM

Check out: http://www.junonia.com

They make activewear for size 14 and up, it's a little pricey but the quality is good.
2007-06-30 11:35 PM

User image

Master
Long Beach, CA
Great suggestions! Thank you SOOOO much! I will look into the women's wetsuits. That would be PERFECT! I'll also look into two pieces. I just wanted two pieces that cover my midsection. I don't want to pull off my wetsuit and show my tum off to everyone! I have been on Junonia. That's where I got my racing suit, sports bras, running shorts and quik wik shirts. Great website! I even considered a swim suit they have that is long like a tri suit. We'll see!

Thanks again!

2007-07-02 5:06 PM
in reply to: #867530

User image

Veteran
Greensboro, NC
I have a one piece Tyr suit and I'm not thrilled with it. I'm a size 18 and it's an XL....it does fit, but only because I'm short :-P I'm going to get myself a pair of tri shorts and wear it with my tri bra for the swim, then put a tech shirt over it for the bike and run.....between the MS 150 and my triathlon on Saturday, I have second degree sunburn on my shoulders

Does Junonia make triathlon wear? If they don't, let's send a bunch of emails asking them to start!!
2007-07-02 10:15 PM
in reply to: #869561

New user

They don't, but I'm going to try to wear my Junonia bike shorts (the great ones that have the gel pad) to see if they would work in a pinch. I got a pair of mens' XXL TYR shorts and they are ok. The padding kinda sucks compared to my Junonia bike shorts I'm used to.

I got a Danskin tri top XXL and it's pretty snug. Not bad to swim in, but i'm super self conscious about my lovely "baby gut" roll going into and out of the water. I plan on putting a top on for the bike so I don't feel so nekkid! But I hope everyone is mostly self absorbed and don't notice me and my plus-ness. I'm sure I wont' be the biggest gal out there. My first tri is Sunday at the Danksin Chicagoland!

www.teamestrogen.com has a lot of good stuff too, tho haven't needed to get anything from them yet.
2007-07-02 11:17 PM
in reply to: #869561

User image

SoCal
androgenie - 2007-07-02 3:06 PM

I have a one piece Tyr suit and I'm not thrilled with it. I'm a size 18 and it's an XL....it does fit, but only because I'm short :-P

I've wanted the TYR black/lilac/white tri suit for two years, but their sizes look like they run SO small! I think the size chart I saw said that their XL would fit a size 12-14. I'm a size 18, but I'm 5'9"--do you think I'd be too tall to squeeze into it?
2007-07-02 11:57 PM

User image

Expert
I've seen some tri stuff that does not have a shelf bra. Would it be the same to buy it in a men's size. Besides the color they look the same.
2007-07-03 11:28 AM
in reply to: #869943

User image

Veteran
Greensboro, NC
If you get the suit, get it at http://www.trizone.com....they have an awesome return policy if it doesn't fit :-)

2007-07-03 11:29 AM
in reply to: #869967

User image

Veteran
Greensboro, NC
iwantotri - 2007-07-02 11:57 PM

I've seen some tri stuff that does not have a shelf bra. Would it be the same to buy it in a men's size. Besides the color they look the same.

The armholes are cut differently in mens tops than women's. I wear a tri bra under my suit....I'm not that well endowed, but I would like to keep the ligaments in my breasts from stretching out :-)
2007-07-07 5:01 PM
in reply to: #870565

Regular
The OC
Hello Ladies.

Thanks for this post. I am doing my first sprint tri in August. I am in serious shopping mode for some tri shorts, top and wetsuit, I am a size 20/22 at 5'5 and 214 lbs. I tried some shorts today for my 1st brick workout and they are not going to work. I have some Terry http://www.terrybicycles.com/detail.html?item_no=1526 baggy shorts but there is no way I could run or swim in them.

Has anyone tried the danskin tri shorts? http://www.danskin.com/short-1990.html

Thanks everyone.

2007-07-07 5:27 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
I got a Promotion suit about a month ago, and I really love it. It is in 2 pieces - the jacket with long sleeves, and a sleeveless long suit. I am about a 14/16 in clothes, and the wetsuit was a 10 Short, and they have them up to 16 I think, which would be be about a 20/22 I would think.

You call them and give them your measurements at the bust, waist and hips, and they tell you what size is best. And they are reasonably priced!!

Good luck!!
2007-07-07 5:37 PM

User image

Expert
In limbo

I think the worst part of tri'ing for me so far has been finding clothes that fit (and having to put on spandex period!)  I went to the biggest multisport store I could find in my area and started trying things on.  It was pretty miserable, especially considering that most of what they had was size S and XS, but I didn't want to buy anything w/out having the chance to try it on first. 

I ended up going with this top: http://www.bikesourcemultisport.com/product_p/47.htm  I'm about a size 16-18 and the large fits pretty well for me.  It definitely covers all that needs to be covered, so that's a definite plus. 

For shorts I went with a men's (this model I think: http://www.bikesourcemultisport.com/product_p/24.htm) because most of the women's shorts were waaaaaaay shorter than I wanted.  So far I'm liking these a lot too. 

No idea on the wetsuit as I'm avoiding buying one right now. 

Good luck Sealiongirl and DaGreen (and anyone else looking for stuff).  If nothing else, I feel your pain, but it is such a huge relief to finally find something that fits comfortably!  It was a huge stress relief for me. 

2007-07-07 5:52 PM

Regular
The OC
Lil Turtle, man do I know the pain! It is tough to find some decent bike/run/swim shorts without too big of a pad for the bike. I am thinking on the shorts you posted about and a new bike saddle from Terry. The top is going to be tough too. I am looking at Title Nine. The run is easier than this!!!

Nancy, thank you for the recommendation on Promotion. I will call them on Monday.

I am on a quest for a wetsuit, I have a suit I kitesurf and surf in but my group is highly recommending the tri suits. I will just use what I have first. There is an ocean swim next week and I can't do it without a wetsuit.

2007-07-07 5:56 PM
in reply to: #875829

User image

Expert
In limbo

DaGreen - 2007-07-07 4:52 PM Lil Turtle, man do I know the pain! It is tough to find some decent bike/run/swim shorts without too big of a pad for the bike. I am thinking on the shorts you posted about and a new bike saddle from Terry. The top is going to be tough too. I am looking at Title Nine. The run is easier than this!!!

Haha yes the run is soooo much easier! lol  Just as I was reading your post I realized that I forgot to mention Title Nine.  So you're way ahead of me there.  That store is absolutely wonderful and I'm sure you could find a top that would work there.  I actually have a part of my log from a couple of days ago dedicated to how awesome title nine is! lol  And they're great about sizing as well.  I could've easily spent hundreds there.    

2007-07-07 6:09 PM
in reply to: #875831

Regular
The OC
I LOVE the tri top you posted though and price was reasonable. I am top heavy, does it fit large or tight? I tried a shebeest top the other day in an xxl, HA! I could barely put a shoulder through the body opening! I hate the way sizes are, why not stick to a general size for all brands?

Edited by DaGreen 2007-07-07 6:10 PM
2007-07-07 6:16 PM
in reply to: #869943

User image

Veteran
Oceanside
Katrina, I bought a TYR Tri suit: I liked the lilac/black one too but they only one they had in stock was the lime/green in an XL. I'm a size 12 and 5'8" and while it's a tad big, I think you might be disappointed in the fit. Actually, I ended up buying a two piece Speedo that fit better than the once piece and used it for my 1st tri.
2007-07-07 6:22 PM

User image

SoCal
I have a couple pairs of the Danskin shorts and I love them. I wear them for biking all the time and think they're very comfortable. As a large person with lots of bulges in the middle, I don't like wearing a tri top and shorts because something is always riding up and/or riding down and it's generally not a good look for me. I much prefer a one-piece suit that I can throw other clothing on top of if necessary.

Thanks for the info about the TYR fit. I've pretty much known for a while that it's going to be too darn small until I'm somewhere near my "goal weight." *sigh*
2007-07-07 7:57 PM

Veteran
I just love this thread! This is the first time I've seen this on BT.
I really think there should be a forum for Plus Size Athenas/Clydesdales. We do have our own set of "issues" like the clothing thing and I think it would be great to have some peer support.
How do we get this to happen?
As far as tri clothing, I can't wear sleeveless anything. I find the hanging arm stuff rubs against the shirt and causes a lot of chub rub. I just wear a sports bra, tri shorts an let it all hang out for the swim. Then I put on my cycling shirt for the bike.
But seriously, can someone talk to the powers that be to get a forum for us?
I mean, who else can sympathize with us slower than molasses hill climbers?

2007-07-07 8:20 PM
in reply to: #875837

User image

Expert
In limbo

DaGreen - 2007-07-07 5:09 PM I LOVE the tri top you posted though and price was reasonable. I am top heavy, does it fit large or tight? I tried a shebeest top the other day in an xxl, HA! I could barely put a shoulder through the body opening! I hate the way sizes are, why not stick to a general size for all brands?

I'm top heavy as well and I like the fit of it. It doesn't feel too constricting at all....well once I get past the wrestling match to get it on that is! But I think I'd have that problem with any tight top. The built in bra is a total joke, but I think that is also the case w/most tops (i've heard ppl much smaller than me complain about that).  Anyway, I'm super comfortable in it. 

2007-07-07 9:44 PM
in reply to: #875905

Regular
The OC
Ok, I just got back from REI. They had the Danskin shorts and top and the one piece suit. I SQUEEZED into the 1 pc suit first. The spare tire I have around my midsection looked like I was stuffing sausage!!! NOT A GOOD LOOK AT ALL!!! They had the 5" shorts in xxl not the 7" and the top, holy moly, are they JOKING about the built in sports bra?? So, I REALLY liked the shorts but I want the 7" length. I just didn't like the sports top. All in all, I LOVED the material, very forgiving. So, I am off to the Danskin site to order the shorts for sure!

I hear ya on the chub rub Writer. That is going to a be a HUGE concern and Katrina, I hear ya on goal weight. There are so many cute outfits out there that just are not doable right now. We'll get there!

-Donna

Edited by DaGreen 2007-07-07 9:48 PM
2007-07-08 12:02 AM
in reply to: #875961

User image

Master
Long Beach, CA
DaGreen - 2007-07-07 7:44 PM

Ok, I just got back from REI. They had the Danskin shorts and top and the one piece suit. I SQUEEZED into the 1 pc suit first. The spare tire I have around my midsection looked like I was stuffing sausage!!! NOT A GOOD LOOK AT ALL!!! They had the 5" shorts in xxl not the 7" and the top, holy moly, are they JOKING about the built in sports bra?? So, I REALLY liked the shorts but I want the 7" length. I just didn't like the sports top. All in all, I LOVED the material, very forgiving. So, I am off to the Danskin site to order the shorts for sure!

I hear ya on the chub rub Writer. That is going to a be a HUGE concern and Katrina, I hear ya on goal weight. There are so many cute outfits out there that just are not doable right now. We'll get there!

-Donna

Donna, was this the Huntington Beach REI? If so...I'm there! I called and they said the one piece Danskin was internet only. Is that true?

Thanks!
2007-07-08 8:35 AM
in reply to: #876012

Regular
The OC
No, it's Santa Ana. Get up there today, there was 1 1pc and it's all black. I wish I could have fit in it a little better. Go past the cycling section and into the women's clothes, there is a rack of all Danskin. Good luck
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Plus Size Tri Gear Rss Feed  

of 5