in reply to: #875786

User image

Veteran
Greensboro, NC
Subject: RE: Plus Size Tri Gear
DaGreen - 2007-07-07 5:01 PM

Has anyone tried the danskin tri shorts? http://www.danskin.com/short-1990.html

Thanks everyone.

A friend of mine really likes the Danskin shorts and tops, and she's an 18 :-)

Tri short padding isn't really padding at all, so you won't get much cushioning from them. Get a good bike seat instead (swimming in standard bike shorts would be awful, and so would the run!)
2007-07-09 10:31 AM
in reply to: #875896

User image

Veteran
Greensboro, NC
writers2 - 2007-07-07 7:57 PM

I just love this thread! This is the first time I've seen this on BT.
I really think there should be a forum for Plus Size Athenas/Clydesdales. We do have our own set of "issues" like the clothing thing and I think it would be great to have some peer support.
How do we get this to happen?
As far as tri clothing, I can't wear sleeveless anything. I find the hanging arm stuff rubs against the shirt and causes a lot of chub rub. I just wear a sports bra, tri shorts an let it all hang out for the swim. Then I put on my cycling shirt for the bike.
But seriously, can someone talk to the powers that be to get a forum for us?
I mean, who else can sympathize with us slower than molasses hill climbers?

Our own forum would be awesome.

As for chub rub, get bodyglide....I couldn't tri without it!
2007-07-09 10:56 AM
in reply to: #877222

Regular
The OC
Thank you for the input on Danskin. I placed an order online yesterday. I really liked the feel of the material.

I think I have about 6 tubes of Body Glide all over the place. It's just like my sunblock, it's in the bathroom, the glove box of all cars and of course my gym bags.

I third our own forum.

Sealiongirl, did you get to REI?
2007-07-09 9:29 PM
in reply to: #877282

User image

Regular
upstate NY
So happy I found this thread. Thank you for all your tips.
I also wanted to put in my vote for the athena forum! I'd have no idea about how to get that started.

My first sprint tri is scheduled for Sept. I was inspired by Slow Fat Triathlete by Jayne Williams.

Best wishes to all.
2007-07-09 11:14 PM
in reply to: #877232

New user

Do you use the body glide b4 the swim? Or put it on b4 the bike?? I had my first tri this weekend and at the risk of TMI - I have a pair of saddle sores at the top of each leg/bottom of my bottom. Holy crap they hurt. I haven't had any problems with this riding miles on my bike, but it must have been because my shorts were wet and it rubbed funny.

2007-07-10 12:07 AM
in reply to: #866930

User image

Expert
Portland, OR
Hey Ladies - Thought I'd weigh in here

I HIGHLY recommend Terry Bicycles (terrybicycling.com) they make tops and shorts for sizes up to 4X and when I did my 1st triathlon at 285lbs (size 26-28) I wore the cycling shorts which have a pretty thin chamois under a bathing suit.

They also make great tops, jerseys and everything that are cut for hips, arm issues and everything we all experience. My biggest complaint with clothing is the really cute jerseys that have elastic around the waist making me look like a sausage.

Also DeSoto makes great XXL tri-shorts which have a 9' inseam to prevent thigh rubbing.

I've been there ladies and you can all absolutely do this!!!!!

WOO HOO - You go girls
2007-07-10 12:40 AM

User image

Master
Long Beach, CA
This is a great thread. Thank you everyone. I'm all for an Athena/Clydesdale forum.

As far as REI, I couldn't get there. I'm going out of town in two days and have been too insanely busy to even think about tri gear! I'll have to deal with it when I get back!
2007-07-10 5:22 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran

My experience has been that for a sprint, I could live without the padding in the bike or tri shorts.  I have always raced wearing the long cut bike shorts from Junonia (no cotton).  Then I would just wear my sports bra with a thin shell top over it.  I do the whole race in this.  I have to second the great stuff about Junonia and Terry.

Has anyone asked Ron about the new forum?

2007-07-10 10:19 AM
in reply to: #878422

User image

Veteran
Greensboro, NC
yeahtri - 2007-07-09 11:14 PM

Do you use the body glide b4 the swim? Or put it on b4 the bike?? I had my first tri this weekend and at the risk of TMI - I have a pair of saddle sores at the top of each leg/bottom of my bottom. Holy crap they hurt. I haven't had any problems with this riding miles on my bike, but it must have been because my shorts were wet and it rubbed funny.

I put it on as I'm getting my tri suit on. I put it where I would get any chafing (from seams, etc). It stays working through my two hour and some odd minute sprint tri's :-)
2007-07-10 10:35 AM

User image

Maine
I just saw this forum and you gals rock! It's so comforting to see that there are other Athena gals down here in Orange County! It would be great to have an Athena/Clydes forum. I'm still debating what to wear for my race (Long Beach Tri) in September. A lot will depend on what's firm vs. what's jiggly by then. Thanks for the excellent tips! I've bookmarked the great sites for future shopping!

2007-07-10 11:21 PM
in reply to: #879006

User image

Master
Long Beach, CA
Tamzin - 2007-07-10 8:35 AM

I just saw this forum and you gals rock! It's so comforting to see that there are other Athena gals down here in Orange County! It would be great to have an Athena/Clydes forum. I'm still debating what to wear for my race (Long Beach Tri) in September. A lot will depend on what's firm vs. what's jiggly by then. Thanks for the excellent tips! I've bookmarked the great sites for future shopping!

I'm also doing the Long Beach Tri! We'll have to talk! I'm heading out of town tomorrow for ten days, so don't know when I'll be back on this forum, but I'll send you a message in a few weeks!
2007-07-11 6:57 AM
in reply to: #880468

User image

Regular
upstate NY
I sent a PM to Ron asking about an athena forum
2007-07-12 11:17 AM

New user

I need to shop for a new swim suit for training. My old one is trashed from chlorine. I decided to wait to buy an actual training suit til I lost some weight and have just been wearing an old tankini.

Any places you recommend? I would rather not spend a lot since I will probably need 2. That way they won't get so worn out.

I'm currently a size 20, Thanks gals!
2007-07-12 11:19 AM
in reply to: #882924

User image

Veteran
Greensboro, NC
Try http://www.pureblueswim.com At a size 20, you probably need a 42 or a 44 in a swimsuit size (I'm an 18 and can wiggle into a 40, but sometimes it's not pretty). You might not be able to find a slick fancy competitive suit, but check out the aqua fitness and lifeguard sections. Or, give them a call. They are a Minneapolis local company, and they are just awesome!

Otherwise, I've heard Junonia has great suits that are suitable for training
2007-07-12 11:49 AM

User image

Tulsa, Oklahoma
Hey everyone - I just wanted to chime in a little......the sizing of tri clothing has been an issue with me....I talk with the clothing manufacturers often and tell them that triathlon is changing and it is not just a sport for elite (tiny) athletes now..... I would love to hear what has worked and not worked for people so we can offer great products for all our athletes on the BT Store. As far as wetsuits go....some women wear men's wetsuits because the sizing is more generous...so this may be an option....if you have specific questions email or pm me and let me know your height, weight, what you are specifically looking and I will see what options there are.

2007-07-12 1:35 PM
in reply to: #883007

User image

Veteran
Greensboro, NC
Tri-It - 2007-07-12 11:49 AM

Hey everyone - I just wanted to chime in a little......the sizing of tri clothing has been an issue with me....I talk with the clothing manufacturers often and tell them that triathlon is changing and it is not just a sport for elite (tiny) athletes now..... I would love to hear what has worked and not worked for people so we can offer great products for all our athletes on the BT Store. As far as wetsuits go....some women wear men's wetsuits because the sizing is more generous...so this may be an option....if you have specific questions email or pm me and let me know your height, weight, what you are specifically looking and I will see what options there are.

Right now, I'm looking for a tri top and shorts that will fit a US size 16-18. I'm 4'11", so a men's wetsuit wouldn't work for me (not looking for one this season....probably next year when I get my tax money back....but I'm hoping to be a bit smaller come next season :-)

Someone really just needs to make tri gear that will fit at least up to a size 24. I have a friend who is on here who calls herself a "double athena" and doesn't have access to any actual tri specific gear because of her size.
2007-07-12 2:15 PM

Hi all-

I am a size 20. For my first Tri, I wore a sports bra under a bathing suit.

REI (online) has "extended sizes". I got the 2x REI compression shorts and they are AWESOME. Fit right over my bathing suit and very comfortable.

Also online in the "extended sizes" Brooks running top. Its lightweigh, sleevless. I slipped both of these over my bathing suit and took 30secs tops.

Also, not expensive.

Again, you have to go online or call the online store. They do not carry their "extended sizes" in the stores.

Good Luck
2007-07-13 5:09 PM

Veteran
Subject: Great News!
This is the email message I received from Ron. Let's start watching for it, contributing to it, and show him how needed this subject is! Yippee!
writers2

Rhonda,

We're going to try out the new Athena/Clyde forum. Probably next week, I just have to create a button for it now and configure it.

[email protected]
Beginner Triathlete, LLC
2007-07-13 5:26 PM

Regular
The OC
Oh that's great news for a new forum.

Regarding tri clothes, I just got my Danskin order of xxl, 7" in long shorts and they are very comfortable. I am waiting on the top from Danskin. I also ordereed a top from Terry, I will keep you all updated there.

Regarding wetsuits and their sizing, they mainly go by weight and height. Take Orca sizing chart for example http://tri-sports.com/orca.htmlfor my 5'5, 214 lbs body frame I would need a men's size 10 but my chest is for a size 8. I guess I am getting at a major complaint I have with ALL clothing manufacturers, just because we are over 200lbs doesn't mean we are tall. There are some of us with short torsos/long legs, long legs/long torso, short torso/short legs. I think if you are a size 0-14 you are just fine in finding clothes.

I know, whine, whine, whine, and maybe I should lose weight, but that's why I decided to do a sprint tri
2007-07-13 5:39 PM
in reply to: #885448

User image

Veteran
Greensboro, NC
DaGreen, what size do you usually wear in bottoms? I'm trying to figure out if I should get an XL or XXL in Danskin shorts (I'm about an 18 usually, occasionally a 16).

2007-07-13 5:41 PM
in reply to: #885462

Regular
The OC
I am a 20/22. There is room for more in the shorts, let's say if I was 22/24 even the next size up. So for you, go with the xl and order them from REI. Danskin is out of them. http://www.rei.com/product/748857

Edited by DaGreen 2007-07-13 5:48 PM
2007-07-14 6:53 PM

I just finished reading all of you guys' posts, and can I say that you ALL are an inspiration?!?! Found this link by accident after googling "plus sized cycling gear". I am an "Athena" (5'9", 211-213lbs) and just signed up for my first sprint tri, and am TERRIFIED! Can't find gear to fit me, am struggling with getting into a training routine, am challenged by serious knee issues. I only started doing this to lose weight and get in shape after taking a good hard look at myself after my 40th birthday last August.....couldn't climb the stairs w/o wheezing and was too tired to enjoy my eight y.o. daughter. Have lost 43 lbs to date, and want to train for a tri to help take off a LOT more. Thanks to you all, I'm encouraged to really go for it in September! Am doing an off-road tri, so the links for plus size biking gear were GREAT! Also, I love everyone's input about a tri suit. Have been debating getting one, and I think I'll hold off and see how I do after this first race. Anyhow, if a forum comes up for Athenas/Clydesdales, count me in! I hope I'm not butting in or anything, I just wanted to say "Thanks" to you all for helping me realize that it's not just the "twigs" who can be athletes!
2007-07-14 7:09 PM

User image

Veteran
Hi everyone I want to chime in that I LOVE this post. It is much needed....

I started training last June at 272 and currently weigh 191. I am 5'9 and still wear XL tri clothing. It was a nightmare trying to find things that I felt comfortable in when I started.

I would love an ATHENA forum! Even when I meet my goal weight of 175 I will always be an ATHENA I am a naturally big healthy athletic girl!

I will be looking for the forum and look forward to chatting with you all. Ialso would love to hear your experiences.

Heather
2007-07-15 1:07 PM

Hey everyone! Just wanted to say hello and thanks! I am 3 weeks away from my first Triathlon in Marlton NJ and was just about to quit the other day thinking that at 209lbs and 5'6" I was just being silly for even trying. But finding this forum was the awesome and just what I needed.

So now on the topic of plus size tri gear. Biking shorts...are they good enough for a first timer like myself? And should I be looking in to XL sizes or XXL sizes? I am currently a size 16. I don't want to invest in all the tri gear yet but also want to make sure I can sit down at my desk the next day. I am looking into all the recomended sites I see listed here (which are great by the way) but didn't know if there was a HUGE difference between tri shorts and bike shorts.

Thanks for all the inspiration and help!!
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Plus Size Tri Gear Rss Feed  

of 5