Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 5

2007-07-15 2:38 PM
in reply to: #866930

User image

New user
Madison, WI
Subject: RE: Plus Size Tri Gear
Tri shorts have a thinner pad in the crotch region than do cycling shorts (and I think they dry faster).

I'm 5'10" and a little bit, and about 195; I am generally a 14 or 16 in regular clothes. I wear a large in Pearl Izumi bike shorts and a large in TYR tri shorts, so I would imagine that XL should be just fine for size 16.

Good luck!

2007-07-15 8:54 PM
in reply to: #886471

Regular
The OC
WOW!! This post sure brought us all out of the woodworks, including me. Welcome everyone and keep up the good work.

My Danskin 7" Tri short review: AWESOME!!! I thought with such little padding I would have a very sore hiney, not the case at all. I am going to have to order another pair.

I did get the xxl tri top and it's still way too tight for me so I might have to wait till next year to wear that one.

Keep up the excellent work ladies, you all inspire me!
-Donna
2007-07-16 11:40 AM

User image

Expert
In limbo
Hey ladies, Just wanted to let you all know I did my first tri today and I definitely wasn't the biggest one there. There were lots of plus size women out there racing and doing an awesome job.  Don't let size get in the way of acheiving your dreams.  Cross that one off the reason/excuse list for not doing a tri!  
2007-07-17 4:49 PM
in reply to: #887555

User image

Champion
Gold member

To everyone that may be subscribed to this thread, it's now in it's own forum for Athena and Clydesdale Triathletes.

http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/forum-view.asp?fid=116

2007-07-17 5:59 PM
in reply to: #883007

User image

Champion
Williamston, Michigan

Tri-It - 2007-07-12 12:49 PM Hey everyone - I just wanted to chime in a little......the sizing of tri clothing has been an issue with me....I talk with the clothing manufacturers often and tell them that triathlon is changing and it is not just a sport for elite (tiny) athletes now..... I would love to hear what has worked and not worked for people so we can offer great products for all our athletes on the BT Store. As far as wetsuits go....some women wear men's wetsuits because the sizing is more generous...so this may be an option....if you have specific questions email or pm me and let me know your height, weight, what you are specifically looking and I will see what options there are.

THere is a desparate need for a LONG tri top with a supportive BRA for those of us who are not flat chested.  How many women do you see at races wearing 2 sports bras?  A LOT.   Heres a newsflash...if you need a supportive bra you probably do not want your belly showing!!  THis is a completely untapped market.  I actually considered buying a sewing machine!!

2007-07-17 6:43 PM
in reply to: #890164

User image

Regular
upstate NY
Hey, we have a forum!!

For all you 2 bra racers, Enell.com makes very supportive bras. I heard they keep their support even when wet. I ordered a custom one last week because I was a size 1 around the ribcage and 3 in the cup. Their custom order woman sends you fitting bras and speaks with you over the phone to get an idea of your build and then they make one just for you. I needed a lot more coverage near the armpit than normal so they just cut it differently. I'll let you know how it works in a couple of weeks.

2007-07-17 7:08 PM
in reply to: #890230

Regular
The OC
healthierme2 - 2007-07-17 4:43 PM

Hey, we have a forum!!

For all you 2 bra racers, Enell.com makes very supportive bras. I heard they keep their support even when wet. I ordered a custom one last week because I was a size 1 around the ribcage and 3 in the cup. Their custom order woman sends you fitting bras and speaks with you over the phone to get an idea of your build and then they make one just for you. I needed a lot more coverage near the armpit than normal so they just cut it differently. I'll let you know how it works in a couple of weeks.

This is good to know! I am looking at Title Nine's the Last Resort http://www.titlenine.com/shopping/product/detailmain.jsp?itemID=217...

Thank you.
2007-07-17 7:37 PM

User image

Champion
Williamston, Michigan
Girls LONG tri top that is supportive so you do not need 2.  I have a nice sports bra but I wish I didn't have to wear that PLUS a tri top.  I'm talking ONE LAYER.  CWX makes a VERY nice sports bra
2007-07-18 6:18 AM
in reply to: #890289

User image

Regular
upstate NY
Sorry, haven't seen a long tri top like you describe. Grab the sewing machine. I'll be watching for your new line!
2007-07-18 6:29 AM

Veteran
A word of running on sports bras though. Remember that no amount of body glide can help the chafing that some of these very supportive inflict. The companies pay attention to the support but not the seems. I have been rubbed raw and bleeding. When that happens, you can't even perform, just wince.
2007-07-18 6:33 AM
in reply to: #890662

User image

Regular
upstate NY
Good point. Have you found a good solution?

2007-07-18 6:48 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
DaGreen, I have and still use that bra.  It really is good in the sense that you will not move.  It is thick and heavy and I agree with writers2 that there are seam issues at times.  Overall, I wouldn't trade mine for the world!  Junonia also carries it in larger sizes.
2007-07-18 4:29 PM

User image

I'll second the Junonia, especially for swimwear. I actually found a suit that was I don't need to wear a sports bra with (and was actually flattering!) Add on zoot tri shorts and a tank for the bike/run and it works! I don't like cling around the middle.

One link that hasn't been mentioned is www.teamestrogen.com They have a plus section (although a little pricey) and sometimes you can find good deals for XL and XXL at performancebike.com

2007-07-22 9:30 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Shakopee, MN
DeSoto makes (made) XXL tri jerseys. They however stopped producing them because of the cost to make them was greater than their profit and that really isn't good business!

I have been in contact with them and they are hopefully going to produce more "true" XXL jerseys! I am excited and will be buying a lot from them if they are willing to make the business decision to stick with us Clydes!!!

2007-07-23 9:57 AM

Wow, this thread is a wealth of info! So, now I know the difference between bike shorts and tri shorts, can someone tell me the difference between tri shirts and bike shirts? Any recommendations for a big girl? Am still trying to figure out what gear to wear for my first tri in September. I need a pretty supportive bra, do you wear it under your swim suit, then put the shorts and jersy on over your suit? BTW, I just got a great pair of biking shorts by Pearl Izumi, wore them for the first time last weekend on a training bike ride and my bum was pretty comfy the whole time! I normally wear an 18-20, but was able to fit into a large in these shorts. They fit tightly, and my bum's not a pretty sight, but who cares I was comfortable! Tried on some XL bike tops, and didn't like them, felt they were too tight. Any recommendations on which I should wear, tri top or bike jersey, and any brand recommendations? I think I'd take an XXL at this point; hopefully not for long! :-)
2007-07-23 9:59 AM
in reply to: #891847

OK, another question for redlv, which suit did you buy from Junonia? I've gotten gear from them before and like it. Just wondering, as I need to have pretty good support, and if I can get it from the swim suit and can avoid wearing the bra, that would be great! Thanks!

2007-07-23 10:44 AM
in reply to: #896801

User image

Regular
upstate NY
Bra update for anyone interested. Received my custom Enell today and ran (actually I jog) in it. Fantastic! It is so worth the money. I've been wearing 2 underwires and a sport bra thing over the top of them. It was so great to wear one bra. At 5'3" and 180# I am pretty much all boobs and hips with not much room in between. I wear a 36 H so Enell made a size 1 back with a size 3 front with extra fabric near the underarms and really short straps. Love it!

2007-07-23 10:56 AM
in reply to: #896801

Regular
The OC
Lizzi, I have been playing around with clothing lately and here is what I have so far.

I do not have a tri wet suit and I will not buy one for I have 4 surf wetsuits that I will use till I decide I am going get into the triathlons. I have noticed that everyone floats better then me but I am not coordinated enough to get out of a wetsuit and falling in the sand. I am hoping for warm water on my tri event days so I don't have to wear any wetsuit.

My OWS the other night in the ocean, which the water temp is in the high 60's I was in my Danskin tri shorts, Danskin tri top and my 2 in 1 sports bra http://www.titlenine.com/shopping/product/detailmain.jsp?itemID=214...
I was comfortable in all all above and no rubbing or chafing with the sports bra. The sports top I am still not that comfortable in while running or biking. The top is too tight. I still haven't embraced the tight tops. My conclusion: For the actual Sprint Tri I may be scaring everyone by just going in the shorts and the sports bra.

Biking/Running
The above Danskin tri shorts and I found a man's XL Pro Distance Sleeveless Shirt from Road Runner Sports http://www.roadrunnersports.com/rrs/products/RRM904/ which is very loose fitting and comfortable and not tight at all.

So, this is where I am at:
Swim: tri shorts and sports bra under wetsuit if wetsuit needed
Bike/swim: tri shorts, sports bra and road runner t-shirt

As much as I want to wear my Terry Orbit jersey, it's just not as comfortable as the Road Runner shirt. I will wear it on my normal mtn bike rides though.

I am LOVING my Danskin tri shorts. I use them for ALL workouts now even just going for a walk with the dogs.

I hope this helps you out.
2007-07-23 11:03 AM
in reply to: #896797

User image

Pro
Without house

lizzib37 - 2007-07-23 9:57 AM Wow, this thread is a wealth of info! So, now I know the difference between bike shorts and tri shorts, can someone tell me the difference between tri shirts and bike shirts? Any recommendations for a big girl? Am still trying to figure out what gear to wear for my first tri in September. I need a pretty supportive bra, do you wear it under your swim suit, then put the shorts and jersy on over your suit?  Any recommendations on which I should wear, tri top or bike jersey, and any brand recommendations? I think I'd take an XXL at this point; hopefully not for long! :-)

Here is what I wear for a tri-sports bra (passed the jump test in the dressing room...I wear a 38D sports bra-link to bra here) underneath a 2 piece trisuit (pic in my album)

Main difference I've seen between tri tops and bike jerseys are pockets...bike jerseys can have some really big pocket in the back that may add drag during the swim.  Most people who I know wear them during a race wait until T1 to put them on.  Tri tops also have pockets, but they aren't as large, and may be made out of a mesh to prevent drag.  You want tri tops to be tight.

If you can avoid having to put on clothes during T1, I would.   Trying to put clothes on a wet body is difficult and can be frustrating. 

2007-07-23 11:08 AM
in reply to: #896956

User image

Expert
In limbo
maggyruth - 2007-07-23 10:03 AM

lizzib37 - 2007-07-23 9:57 AM Wow, this thread is a wealth of info! So, now I know the difference between bike shorts and tri shorts, can someone tell me the difference between tri shirts and bike shirts? Any recommendations for a big girl? Am still trying to figure out what gear to wear for my first tri in September. I need a pretty supportive bra, do you wear it under your swim suit, then put the shorts and jersy on over your suit?  Any recommendations on which I should wear, tri top or bike jersey, and any brand recommendations? I think I'd take an XXL at this point; hopefully not for long! :-)

Here is what I wear for a tri-sports bra (passed the jump test in the dressing room...I wear a 38D sports bra-link to bra here) underneath a 2 piece trisuit (pic in my album)

Main difference I've seen between tri tops and bike jerseys are pockets...bike jerseys can have some really big pocket in the back that may add drag during the swim.  Most people who I know wear them during a race wait until T1 to put them on.  Tri tops also have pockets, but they aren't as large, and may be made out of a mesh to prevent drag.  You want tri tops to be tight.

If you can avoid having to put on clothes during T1, I would.   Trying to put clothes on a wet body is difficult and can be frustrating. 

LOL that's the exact bra I was going to post!  I got it right before my first tri and it works beautifully.  I got mine at Title Nine (www.titlenine.com) which has become one of my new favorite stores.  Definitely a great place to check out if there is one near you! 

I haven't had any luck with swimsuits that are supposed to be supportive enough to not need a bra.  I think I'm just too top heavy for those kind of things.  But the bra w/the 2 piece tri suit works fine for me. 

Edited by lil_turtle 2007-07-23 11:10 AM
2007-07-23 1:37 PM

Hmmmm....the REI bra looks great, but I'm a 40-42 C/D (depending on the brand), and it doesn't look like they make them that big! Yes, I am an "apple on a stick", so most of my weight's in my chest, middle and hips. Title 9 looked like they had some good bras, tho. I'll definitely try to pick up the Danskin Tri shorts, too. My neighbor works at our local REI, so she can get me stuff at a discount! Thanks for the suggestions, you're all really helpful!

2007-07-23 1:38 PM
in reply to: #896956

I looked at your 2 piece tri suit, maggyruth, and liked the looks of it. Where did you get it? Just curious, I haven't seen anything like it in my searching so far. Thanks!
2007-07-23 2:14 PM
in reply to: #897364

User image

Pro
Without house

lizzib37 - 2007-07-23 1:38 PM I looked at your 2 piece tri suit, maggyruth, and liked the looks of it. Where did you get it? Just curious, I haven't seen anything like it in my searching so far. Thanks!

Those are custom designed for Team Turbo Donkey...our illustrious leader got them through Champion Systems.  I believe they only do custom order stuff...

Edited by maggyruth 2007-07-23 2:20 PM
2007-07-23 2:28 PM
in reply to: #897446

User image

Veteran
Greensboro, NC
I just like the ring to your team name :-) "Team Turbo Donkey"
2007-07-23 5:09 PM
in reply to: #897446

maggyruth - 2007-07-23 2:14 PM

lizzib37 - 2007-07-23 1:38 PM I looked at your 2 piece tri suit, maggyruth, and liked the looks of it. Where did you get it? Just curious, I haven't seen anything like it in my searching so far. Thanks!

Those are custom designed for Team Turbo Donkey...our illustrious leader got them through Champion Systems.  I believe they only do custom order stuff...

LOL! I agree, what a great team name! OK, so I guess what I need to do is get my butt in gear, start racing, and get onto a team!
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Plus Size Tri Gear Rss Feed  

of 5