Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 5

2007-07-29 7:15 AM
in reply to: #866930

User image

Expert
Twin Cities
Subject: RE: Plus Size Tri Gear
The Fiona bra comes in larger sizes (try MovingComfort.com) I am a 40DD and have comfortably worn this bra for several years.  It provides incredible support (no black eyes) as well as being comfortable to wear and minimal uniboob effect.

2007-07-29 8:17 AM

User image

Regular
upstate NY
Thanks for the link to that website. Haven't seen that site before.

I found out the title nine bra that looks like an Enell is the Enell. They just made it for them. As I previously posted, Enell does make custom bras. Like mine they put a size 1 back on a size 3 front and took out a mile of strap. The gal that does the custom work said it's OK to give out her number. Glenda @ 1-888-830-8585 or [email protected]
Geez, I sound like I sell the darn bras. I don't, I'm just really happy to finally have a bra that works.

And a question for you gals. Received my Danskin trishorts yesterday. Does one wear underwear under tri shorts when wearing them for a whole race?

Dinah
2007-07-29 9:37 AM
in reply to: #905491

Regular
The OC
And a question for you gals. Received my Danskin trishorts yesterday. Does one wear underwear under tri shorts when wearing them for a whole race?

Dinah

Hi Dinah,
Thanks for the Enell post. Do NOT wear underwear with the shorts. They will bind once you get on your bike and will cause a whole OTHER chafing issue.

I LOVE my Danskin shorts.

Donna
2007-07-29 3:05 PM

Ok so question about the danskin tri shorts...if I am a size 14-16 (closer to 16 but working on it) what size should I be looking for?

And can one swim with bike shorts or is it better to try and put them on during the first transition?

THANKS!!!
2007-07-29 3:49 PM
in reply to: #905707

User image

Regular
upstate NY
danya234 - 2007-07-29 4:05 PM

Ok so question about the danskin tri shorts...if I am a size 14-16 (closer to 16 but working on it) what size should I be looking for?

And can one swim with bike shorts or is it better to try and put them on during the first transition?

danya234,

I am 5'3" 180 and heavy in the hips and thighs. I just tried on the XXL Danskin tri shorts I ordered and will send them back for an XL. They fit but I felt maybe a little too loosely. Hopefully the XL won't be too small.

As for the swim with them, I haven't done my first race yet but from the posts I've read, people wear tri shorts for all three events and most have suggested not to try and do a lot of putting on of clothes during the transition.

Hope that helps.
2007-07-29 3:56 PM

Regular
The OC
I haven't done my first tri yet either. I have done a brick workout swim/bike in my shorts with no problem and I have always had major issues with the NEED to have padded cycling shorts. I was totally fine with these on a 6 mile bike ride. I am hoping they get me through a 13 mile bike ride. I am completely comfortable in a walk/run with them. Give it a tri and see how they work for you.

-Donna

Edited by DaGreen 2007-07-29 3:58 PM

2007-07-29 3:57 PM

User image

Expert
In limbo

I'm on the smaller end of size 16 (I think....my 16 stuff is starting to feel a little loose).  I don't own any danskin shorts but when I tried some on they seem to run pretty big.  I could've worn either an XL or L, but I think I would've been happier in a L, especially since I plan on "shrinking" more.  

Like healthierme said, tri shorts have the biking pad in them so you don't need bike shorts if you're wearing tri shorts.  You definitely don't want to be trying to pull shorts on in transition while you're wet.   

2007-08-03 11:19 AM

So I got myself a spiffy new suit and tri shorts at a store here in the city called City Sports. I did a test run in the gym last night and so far it looks like everything is going to stay in place! I was very happy about the tri shorts, they make a world of difference. Not the most flattering outfit I own but is tight spandex ever attractive?

A question: I wear a knee brace that is made out of a material similar to wet suit material. I can't swim with it on but I need it for the bike and run...is there anything to make it go on quicker that won't make it slide around? Or does one just have to tug and grunt?

On a side note doing test run was the best thing I could have done. I feel more confident about the clothes but also about myself. It took me an hour and a half and I did it after a 9 hour day of work. The race is next weekend, and I finally feel ready. The advice has been great everyone!!! Keep on keeping on!!

Danya
2007-08-03 1:40 PM

Hey, Danya! Congrats on the great run thru! I'm doing my first Tri in Sept., and am getting increasingly anxious about it. The run thru idea sounds like a good one!

As far as getting the brace on, have you tried Body Glide? it comes in a stick like a deoderant, and you could maybe use a little just below your knee, just to help the brace get going sliding on. You don't want to use too much, because then the brace will slide around on your knee. I've been using it under the bra straps and on my feet, as one of my pairs of running shoes gives me blisters when my feet are wet. It's really great for those areas that are prone to chafing. Don't know if there's anything else to try, as you'll be wet coming from the swim. Anyone else have suggestions?
2007-08-10 7:22 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Glasgow, UK
O.K. so on the theme of things lot fitting has anyone got any suggestions of where I find Tri clothing to fit a tall, large chested, big hipped girl in the UK? All the plus size girlie stuff is too short and the guys don't have hips or chests to accommodate? I have a feeling I'm going to have to compromise but it'd be nice to know if anyone knew of anything!
2007-08-10 10:00 AM
in reply to: #920716

User image

Veteran
Greensboro, NC
I wonder if there's a Danskin supplier in the UK. Their sizing is pretty generous, and they do have a 7inch inseam tri short.

2007-08-10 12:39 PM

Just ordered some bike shorts from: http://www.aerotechdesigns.com/bikeshorts.htm

They make larger sizes for both men and women, seems like a nice company, might be worth checking out.
2007-08-10 1:13 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Good luck on your first tri. I just loved Jayne's book too. Whenever I feel slow and fat I think of her and think - what the hell?! I can do this! So can you!

I love this thread as well. At my first tri, the Danskin in June, I bought one of their one piece tri suits. I love it. The fit is great and it dried quickly and I got it for about $20 less than on line at the expo the day before the race. I almost bought it on line but for some reason didn't. Another place to try buying gear is Sierra Trading Post - they have clearance and overstock items. Their return policy is $5 for shipping - not really bad. They have some great deals I have a friend that bought a tri wetsuit from them for $65! I bought my Dolfin swimsuit from them for $19 and its worked out great. They will tell you too if things run small.
2007-08-11 3:49 PM

Driving down into NJ tonight, and my frist Triathlon tomorrow morning!! Thank you for all the advice and support. Good luck to you all!!

Danya
2007-08-26 11:55 AM
in reply to: #922256

User image

Regular
upstate NY
Fur lined crotch? Well I never knew that's what came with trishorts!

After sending back my too large XXL Danskins and not finding any XL I bought Zoot triFIT 8" shorts from trisports.com. Wore them to bike and run yesterday and was pleased. More than I planned to spend, but would recommend them.

Now to tackle the wetsuit issue before 9/23/07.
2007-08-26 4:17 PM

User image

Master
Long Beach, CA
I finally got a wetsuit. I got the Sleeveless Zoot Two XL from REI. I ordered online and had it shipped to the store. That way I could try it on there and return it on the spot, if needed. It fits well. The only issue for me, is that the arm holes cut in close on the chest. I have a 46DDD, so it's my chest's fault...not the wetsuit's! But, since I wear a black trisuit underneath, no biggy. I'm a women's size 22 in most clothes and am 5'11". The XL is the perfect length and although it feels really tight, I think it is technically how tight it is supposed to be. I tried on several suits and it was my favorite. It was only 220.00, plus if you have an REI membership, you get 10% back! The membership was only 15.00, so I saved on the deal, plus got the discount off of my tri suit and camping gear! Woo hoo!

Good luck everyone!

2007-08-26 4:41 PM

User image

Veteran
I read all the posts and you gals have me sold on the Danskin 7" tri shorts... I went to order them on line and they only have small and med. left. Does anyone know if they restock often or if there is another place to buy them? I went to the Danskin website. I am also torn between the xl and L... I wear a 14/16 women's sizes... I am a true pear.

Thanks,
Elizabeth
2007-08-26 11:23 PM
in reply to: #940911

User image

Master
Long Beach, CA
azelizabeth - 2007-08-26 2:41 PM

I read all the posts and you gals have me sold on the Danskin 7" tri shorts... I went to order them on line and they only have small and med. left. Does anyone know if they restock often or if there is another place to buy them? I went to the Danskin website. I am also torn between the xl and L... I wear a 14/16 women's sizes... I am a true pear.

Thanks,
Elizabeth

REI sells it and you get a 10% discount if you're a member! Last time I checked, they had the larger sizes! Good Luck!
2007-08-27 1:07 PM
in reply to: #940911

User image

Veteran
Greensboro, NC
I have a pair of royal blue xl's that I bought but didn't come to me in time for my race. If you're interested, they are brand new (got a good discount), so $20 plus shipping?
2007-08-31 8:53 PM

User image

Regular
Hey everyone,

I just wanted you to know a couple of really encouraging things:

1. Enell is coming out with a new bra next month (the Enell lite) which they say will be comfortable and seamless enough for everyday wear as well as lower impact sports. I'm very excited about that! I mentioned Enell in my book so they contacted me to thank me and let me know what they had coming up. The president of the company actually emailed me! I was so excited.

2. The Enell prez then gave my name to a marketing person for a very-well-known technical fabric company (I was asked to keep the name of the company quiet for a while until they've finished their research). This company is doing research into the market for plus-sized women athletes and wanted me to tell them what I thought people's needs were. I spent about 40 minutes on the phone with this one gal and told her everything I'd ever thought or heard or read in my interactions with other Athenas. I'm also going to put a section on my website inviting comments and suggestions for this company. So the word is getting out there that not all athletes are stick figures!

Cheers
Jayne

2007-08-31 11:49 PM
in reply to: #949353

User image

Veteran
Greensboro, NC
Awesome! Thanks Jayne! I love your book!

Did you ever come out with the Slow Fat Triathlete jerseys?

2007-09-01 1:34 PM
in reply to: #949353

User image

Regular
upstate NY
Jayne that is really great news! Thanks for being an advocate.
I LOVE MY ENELL! Purchased after your book comment.
2007-09-02 4:11 PM

User image

Regular
Well, I don't have triathlon jerseys - I would have to go into the manufacturing business to get the dimensions we'd want, and I'm not quite ready to take that leap yet! But I have some training shirts. Email me at the addy in my profile and I'll send you an order form...

-jayne
2007-09-05 10:41 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Shakopee, MN
WHOHOO! Found a Tri Suit that fits me! (yes it shows by love handles, but it is a great fit)

http://www.zootsports.com/images/products/M_TrifitRacesuit_Laguna.g...

I bought it last weekend at Tri Lab. Got a 15% discount--those guys are great! I got it for about $84. Not bad.

FYI---- I am 6'6 with a 50-52 chest, 38in waist and I am right around 270-275 (haven't weighed myself in a couple months).

I will have some pictures of my sexy flab after the LA Tri this weekend!!!

2007-09-14 7:35 PM

User image

Veteran
I still struggle as a short Athena to find good workout clothes that fit. Tops are usually not a problem and I order L or XL adidas or nike... usually fit fine, no need for plus. The bottoms are another story. They make running shorts for people who are slim and trim... and want plenty of thigh to show. The best running shorts I have found so far (and only own one pair) are the junonia dual layer shorts in a size 0x.... but at $59.95 a pair (and they don't wash great)... I am not about to buy several. Does anyone have any suggestions for a pair of running shorts? Also... the danskin tri shorts (longer version) were not on the REI wesbsite and last I checked (need to check again)... they were sold out in xl on the danskin website.

Any suggestions? Also...I wear a size 3 enell bra... I have a brand new in package size 4 enell that I bought before going through breast cancer treatment...needless to say I shrunk. Would you suggest selling it on ebay?

Elizabeth
PS... thanks for the offer to buy the danskin shorts... right now I can't get out of black mode when it comes to shorts :-)
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Plus Size Tri Gear Rss Feed  

of 5