General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Two weeks 'till race day Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2007-06-30 7:57 PM

User image

Expert
In limbo
Subject: Two weeks 'till race day
As of tomorrow I'll be exactly 2 weeks away from my first tri.  I haven't really been following a plan but I've been essentially combining parts of an oly plan from this site for the swim/bike with the couch to 5k for the run.  So my question is, what should I be doing in the next two weeks to be as ready for the race as possible?  The race is a sprint...I've been using the oly plan because I have a lot of extra training time since i'm done with school and only working part time now.  I'm pretty much constantly sore from those workouts though so I'm guessing I should be slowing down some so I'm fresh for the race but since I'm coming off a bit of a slump due to moving and starting a new job I'd like to get at least a few more good, hard workouts in.  So how do I do this?  Do I wait until the week before to taper?  Is there anything race specific I should be doing now.  Omg this is too soon!!!  I'M NOT READY!!!!  lol  How did it get to be July so fast????????????

2007-06-30 8:09 PM
in reply to: #867400

User image

Royal(PITA)
West Chester, Ohio
Subject: RE: Two weeks 'till race day
What are the distances for each event? I did a sprint early this month (300m-20K-5K) and my "taper" week wasn't that much different from my training weeks. I cut down on the distances for my runs and rides. We shortened swim practices from 2 hrs to 1 as well. I also cut out the strength training the week of my race, think I did my abs class though. From what I've seen the strength training is debateable among most triathletes, if you really want to do it make it early in the week
2007-06-30 8:19 PM
in reply to: #867410

User image

Expert
In limbo

zipp1 - 2007-06-30 7:09 PM What are the distances for each event? I did a sprint early this month (300m-20K-5K) and my "taper" week wasn't that much different from my training weeks. I cut down on the distances for my runs and rides. We shortened swim practices from 2 hrs to 1 as well. I also cut out the strength training the week of my race, think I did my abs class though. From what I've seen the strength training is debateable among most triathletes, if you really want to do it make it early in the week

Distances are half mile swim (how long is that in meters anyway?), 12 mile bike, and 5k run.  I typically go well over the swim and bike distances during training....I feel fine after swims but am typically sore for a couple of days after biking.  I guess I could just reduce the bike time some and keep the swims the same.  It doesn't matter too much for running since most of my "running" is walking right now anyway.

2007-07-01 12:13 PM
in reply to: #867400

User image

Royal(PITA)
West Chester, Ohio
keep your swim up for one day practice, shorten it for another...cut down on the distance/intensity of the ride and run times that week. Take plenty of time to stretch well this week. I think half a mile is around 750-800 meters (the distance for my next tri swim is 750 m which is more than double the first one...)
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Two weeks 'till race day Rss Feed