Sun Sport Events
70F / 21C
Sunny
Total Time = 6h 25m 43s
Overall Rank = 376/502
Age Group = F25-29
Age Group Rank = 12/20
Pre-race routine:

Drove to site for pickup the night before. They were out of the size small t-shirts that I HAD REQUESTED! UNREAL!

I wasn't able to get to sleep that night, and when I finally did, some drunk morons came back to their room and started tromping around until Steve banged on the wall. Overall I got about 3 hours of sleep - not good. Had a hard time eating my breakfast that morning, in the future I will train with Ensure or something easy to consume.
Event warmup:

No warmup. Steve tends to cut things very close time-wise on race mornings, so keeping things on schedule enough to actually make it to the starting line is usually the only warm up I get.
Swim
  • 36m 11s
  • 2112 yards
  • 01m 43s / 100 yards
Comments:

I thought I was navigating this course pretty well, but kept finding myself a bit off. It felt as if there was a current, even though that's probably not possible. Found feet to draft off of about 1/3 of the swim, but the rest of the time I was a bit off course (I generally went for the turnaround bouys and not any of the ones in between, so it might not have been a bad thing). Felt very comfortable on this swim, and fresh for the bike upon exit.
What would you do differently?:

More OWS practice w/sighting. More drafting.
Transition 1
  • 02m 58s
Comments:

Good transition. My wet feet caused my footbed to move in my bike shoe when I was putting them on, so I had to redo it. Will try to adhere it to the shoe so this won't happen in the future.
Bike
  • 3h 29m 33s
  • 59.7 miles
  • 17.09 mile/hr
Comments:

The course was long due to last minute construction. No one knows how long exactly, but my Garmin shows 59.7 and I think Steve's was similar, so let's go with that. The extra distance added 13:30 to my race time when compared to a normal half iron bike distance.

Jorge's race plan had me averaging 115-125 watts the entire ride, which ended up being a fairly easy pace for me, so the bike was very enjoyable and left me feeling very fresh for the run. I think my gear management could have been a little better, but since I have a roadbike with aerobars right now, changing gears is not as convenient as it would have been on a tri bike.

I must take a moment to rant now...
The annoying thing about being slow on the bike like this is dealing with the yahoos, and riding by watts means I can't just hammer and pass the annoying people. For example, two women ahead of me met up on the course and then proceeded to draft or ride two abreast for at least the next 20 minutes. The referee came by and slowed down two separate times to watch. When I made my pass, I let them know the ref was watching and they might want to stop drafting. They had NO IDEA what drafting was, and had never heard of the three bike length rule. How exactly you get to a race of this distance without this knowledge is beyond me. I think every race packet should include the Most Commonly Violated USAT rules, because these yentas were probably too busy talking pre-race to listen to the announcements.

Not sure. I am pretty new to training/racing by watts so could definitely use more practice.
Transition 2
  • 03m 11s
Comments:

This was a bad transition. My feet were wet (I had poured water on myself during the bike), and I could not get my socks on.
Run
  • 2h 13m 51s
  • 13.55 miles
  • 09m 53s  min/mile
Comments:

Guess what? The run course was ALSO long, and the extra distance added about 4:30 to my run time. I'm only saying this because my overall 6:25 time sounds much better once you realize there is an additional 18 minutes gained from the long bike and run.

I went out on this run feeling great. The first 8 miles felt very good, and the rest were not so bad. Unfortunately, the goal pace set in the race plan was a minute faster than my actual pace. My heart rate was low, I was hydrated and on top of my nutrition, I felt fine, but I just could not pick it up. Maybe it was the lack of sleep the night before? I am definitely annoyed with myself for missing the goal pace by so much for no particular reason.

Ended up dropping off in pace a bit more at mile 11 because my feet were getting numb and my hamstrings were beginning to cramp. I had to switch shoes recently, and my two former shoes had come out with updated models, so I was kind of out of luck and just had to suck it up with this less-than-perfect pair. It's the curse of the flat-footed runner.

More run training. We were focusing on my cycling this spring, so the running volume was reduced a little bit. There are only so many hours in the week!
Post race
Warm down:

Met Steve and then we walked around, chatted with Jorge about my sucky run, and ate. Went in the lake to rinse off and stretch a bit. Felt pain as soon as I stopped running, so we had to stop a few times on the way home to stretch.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

My overall fitness is limiting my ability to perform faster. I put in a lot of hours training for this event, but the bottom line is that this was my first half iron distance race at the beginning of my second racing season. All that matters is that I learned a lot, had a great day, and finished with a smile. It's all going to come together.

Event comments:

Enjoyable race and good volunteers. Good course, even if it was 4.2 miles long. I was very impressed with this inaugural race, and plan to do this again in 2008.

Last updated: 2007-07-02 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:36:11 | 2112 yards | 01m 43s / 100yards
Age Group: 11/20
Overall: 295/502
Performance: Average
Suit: Promotion AfterBurner Sleeveless
Course: Large Pond/Lake. Rectangular, nice large buoys on left.
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 72F / 22C Current: Medium
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Average
Breathing: Good Drafting: Average
Waves: Average Navigation: Bad
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 02:58
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
03:29:33 | 59.7 miles | 17.09 mile/hr
Age Group: 17/20
Overall: 411/502
Performance: Average
AVG HR 161
Wind: Some
Course: Two loops. Mildly rolling and fairly scenic. Bad sections of road were marked.
Road: Rough Dry Cadence: 92
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 03:11
Overall: Bad
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Bad
Running
02:13:51 | 13.55 miles | 09m 53s  min/mile
Age Group: 12/20
Overall: 328/502
Performance: Below average
AVG HR 165
Course: one loop, slightly rolling, partial shade. Well-stocked aid stations every mile.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2007-07-02 10:15 AM

Subject: Patriot Half Iron (+4 miles)

2007-07-02 11:49 AM
in reply to: #868685

User image

Pro
Nutmeg State
Subject: RE: Patriot Half Iron (+4 miles)

I like your concept of subtracting 18 minutes for the extra 4.2 miles.  Puts me sub 6:15, which was my goal.

Nice job, and I can't believe we didn't see each other at some point along the way.

2007-07-02 4:28 PM

Extreme Veteran
Connecticut

Nice Race there Danielle, your race management strategies were excellent.

You are right of course, this is your first half IM so congrats for finishing so close to your goal time you will kill that time on your next one. Hopefully see you and Steve at Niantic.. 

2007-07-02 6:46 PM

User image

Master
CT
Danielle—you had an awesome race! As you said—the first one is a learning experience and your next will be even better no doubt. Tough that the course was long like that, but just think!—you were just a little bit closer to doing a full ironman
2007-07-02 6:56 PM

User image

Champion
MA

Congrats on a great first HIM in your second season doing tris!!

I probably saw you multiple times throughout the race but didn't know you were you.

Glad the ride felt comfortable and you were feeling fresh for the run.

As a volunteer at  the bike mount/dismount I saw many amazingly stupid things people did so I'm not surprised yes disappointed, that folks didn't know about drafting and the USAT rules.

Glad you enjoyed the race... 

2007-07-02 8:41 PM

User image

Coach
Boston, MA

CONGRATS!!! you are a rock star and had a great 1st HIMI am not only very proud for all your work and big accomplishment but also you enjoyed your race and had a big smile at the end; THAT makes it all worthy

Now that the 1st one is IN the books we can now focus on make you faster!

PS. tell Steve that next time you HAVE to get there earlier!

2007-07-03 9:57 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Boston, MA
Great race for your first HIM! It's more important that you learn from this race to build on for the next one, which you're going to rock.
2007-07-03 2:57 PM

User image

Middletown, CT
Nice job on your 11/20ths Ironman.
You forgot to write about that thing you did on the bike!
2007-07-03 5:42 PM

Shh!  It's embarrassing!

OKAY EVERYBODY, I PEED ON MY BIKE.  In fact, I was the one who convinced Steve he might want to try it for IMWI.  It's all basically water by that point anyway.

Happy now, Steve?

Edited by DMW 2007-07-03 5:42 PM
2007-07-05 10:25 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
New Haven, CT
Nice job! So you theoretically broke 6 hours correcting for the course - sweet!

Argh about the t-shirts - my medium was actually too big, and I am not a tiny person. Weirdly enough, they ordered tons of smalls for the volunteers - if my sister's shirt wasn't such an ugly color, I would have pinched hers.
2007-07-05 11:18 PM

User image

Master
Bronze member
Hey nice race Danielle!Cool to see your progress & looking forward to your NEXT (and corrected distance) Half..Congrats!

2007-07-06 11:31 PM

User image

Expert
Lafayette, CA

Excellent race--especially for your first HIM. Or really HIM++ with the additional distance!   It is amazing how many boneheads there are that don't know the rules!  My personal favorite is the person going 5 mile per hour slower than the rest of us in the left part of the lane!  

You should be proud of your accomplishments. In my book you're pretty fast.  WOOO HOOO!  

Geoff

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Patriot Half Iron (+4 miles) Rss Feed