Richmond Multisports
80F / 27C
Sunny
Total Time = 2h 33m 59s
Overall Rank = 238/246
Age Group = F 25-29
Age Group Rank = 18/21
Pre-race routine:

Woke up at 5:15, took a shower, got dressed, made some coffee and had a waffle with peanut butter. Packed up the car and headed to the race site. Set up transition and had a banana while I got body marked. Walked the transition area to get a good idea of where my bike is. Walked down to the swim exit to put shoes on the trail for the run back to transition.
Event warmup:

Swam for about 10 minutes
Swim
  • 27m 7s
  • 750 meters
  • 03m 37s / 100 meters
Comments:

Swimming against the current was tough. I felt like it was taking forever. I tried to increase the stroke rate going against the current so that I could fight against the current a bit more. I got caught up in a few swimmers doing breast stroke and elementary backstroke (really? elementary backstroke? I didn't think anyone does that) and got kicked pretty hard in the left hand. I think the distance to the first buoy was the longest.

Once I finally rounded the buoy (and got a little caught up in it), it went so much faster. I was trying to glide and work with the current. It felt like I made it back to the shore in no time at all (maybe five minutes compared to the hour it felt like it took to get to the buoy).

I didn't have problems with panicking during this swim like I did during the Naylor's Beach Olympic tri last year (my first OWS). I felt more comfortable and I did a lot better with sighting and drafting. Here, I was able to do some sighting by looking at the shore so I had to look forward a lot less often. Still, I know that I need more practice swimming against the current.

My arms were pretty tired getting out, but that wasn't really a problem. Got up and climbed the stairs to cross the mat and start T1 time.
What would you do differently?:

More practice swimming in the river with the current.
Transition 1
  • 03m 29s
Comments:

Long run from the swim exit to T1. I stashed a pair of flip flops at the swim exit and I'm really glad that I did. The trail back was full of gravel and sticks. Tried to run as much as possible while taking off the cap and goggles - I did forget that I could do that for a minute. Had lots of people from the tri club cheering me on, which was really nice.

Got back to transition and managed to put on socks while I was standing up. Then I got on my gloves, helmet, and glasses and headed out on the bike.

Not wear socks.
Bike
  • 1h 14m 25s
  • 18.8 miles
  • 15.16 mile/hr
Comments:

Got out of transition running with the bike. Got on and started trying to clip in. I was having a hard time with that - maybe because I was wearing the old shoes without buckles and the cleats are a little worn out. Of course, the tri club was there to take pictures right at that point. Figures. ;)

I started off a little slow. My legs were kind of sore, but I was feeling pretty confident. I tried to keep my cadence high, but the sensors weren't in the right place on my bike, so I had no idea what my speed or cadence actually were. I decided to just go for it. I started off getting passed a lot, but after about 5 minutes I felt like I was getting in a rhythm. The first section of the course was mostly downhill, although there was one gradual climb up over the interstate. That went okay. I think it was 20 minutes before I saw anyone going in the other direction. Once I turned, the course got a lot hillier. I was really glad that I had done as much of the horribly hilly as I had. It was good practice. I felt like I was able to make up a lot of time on this section. A lot of the hills were rollers, so I focused on getting enough speed on the downhill to not have to pedal too much on the uphill. It worked pretty well. I finally got to the last climb before the turn around and I was really glad I had done the HHH. It was pretty steep, but I was confident I could do it as long as I kept pedaling. My legs were pretty sore, but I kept it going and made it up the hill. Finally got to turn around and cruise back down, which was a great place to rest. Lots of people walking up the hill.

I didn't see too many people going in the other direction on the way back, so I knew I was one of the last people. Oh well. The way back was fairly uneventful, although it was about 10 minutes faster. I think I had a better idea of where the course was and where the bigger hills were, which helped a lot.

Make sure sensors are working. I had no idea how fast i was going or how far I had gone, which made it tough to pace myself.

Ride the course ahead of time.
Transition 2
  • 01m 26s
Comments:

I had a little trouble racking my bike, but not too much. It was a little crowded when I got back as most of the people were already out on the run. Took of my helmet and glasses, changed shoes while standing up, and grabbed my hat and race number.

Get Yankz for the running shoes.
Run
  • 47m 34s
  • 3.11 miles
  • 15m 18s  min/mile
Comments:

Here's where my race fell apart. I got off the bike and started running. About 5 minutes in, my calves and achilles started locking up and were incredibly sore. I tried to keep going, but it was not happening. I stopped a few times to stretch at some benches along the trail. I think I walked most of the first mile to mile and a half. The volunteers along the trail were really great and motivating and encouraged me to run, but I was in a lot of pain. Around mile 1.5, the course went off the trails and on to pavement. Suddenly, my body remembered that it does indeed know how to run. The trails were really not happening for me, but this worked. Run about 0.75 miles on the pavement and then headed back to the trail. It felt better, but I knew I was really slow and way behind. About 0.25 miles from the end, my right foot came off the trail and the ankle twisted. There was a volunteer nearby and she asked if I would be okay to finish. There was no way I was stopping even if I had to hobble all the way back. I walked a bit, but it wasn't all that sore. Finally made it back and finished. I was so glad to be done.

More training (especially trail running). More bricks.
Post race
Warm down:

Walked around and had some more to eat. Was finally able to go to the bathroom!

What limited your ability to perform faster:

I spent most of my May and June focused on biking and did hardly any running or swimming. That really hurt me on the course.

Event comments:

Lots of great volunteers to help. There was a little bit of confusion at the beginning

Last updated: 2007-06-04 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:27:07 | 750 meters | 03m 37s / 100meters
Age Group: 17/21
Overall: 0/246
Performance: Average
Suit: Richmond Tri Club Tri Suit
Course: Swam down the river for 400 meters against the current. Then turned and swam the last 350 with the current.
Start type: Deep Water Plus: Waves
Water temp: 82F / 28C Current: Medium
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Good
Waves: Good Navigation: Good
Rounding: Average
T1
Time: 03:29
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed:
Biking
01:14:25 | 18.8 miles | 15.16 mile/hr
Age Group: 17/21
Performance: Good
Wind: Cross-winds with gusts
Course: Out and back L-shaped course. It was described as "mostly flat," but that was a lie. After the turn, it was very hilly and there was a large climb at the end before the turn around.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Not enough
T2
Time: 01:26
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal Average
Running
00:47:34 | 03.11 miles | 15m 18s  min/mile
Age Group: 20/21
Performance: Below average
Course: Running through trails in the park, some service roads. Lots of hills, bridges. Even had to run over a log.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? No
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2007-07-05 9:03 AM

User image

Science Nerd
Redwood City, California
Subject: I Love the Tavern Triathlon

2007-07-05 3:28 PM
in reply to: #872529

User image

Master
Virginia Beach, VA
Subject: RE: I Love the Tavern Triathlon
Nice job on a tough course. Good warm up for C-ville; atleast we won't have a current to swim against.
2007-07-05 9:56 PM

User image

Champion
Out running or enjoying a fine glass of red...
WOW! That sounds like a tough course, but you did great! Congrats on the good race.

Kristen
2007-07-06 9:45 AM

User image

Master
Athens, Ga.
Great job - especially with all the run trouble. With the log and trail stuff, it sounds more like an Xterra tri than a regular one!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » I Love the Tavern Triathlon Rss Feed