General Discussion Introduce Yourself!!! » New as new can get Rss Feed  
Moderators: IndoIronYanti, k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2004-01-22 4:45 AM

New user

Central PA
Subject: New as new can get
Hi everyone. Let me start by saying that after looking through this site, it is great to see the community of people who share ideas, goals, thoughts, etc. so freely and honestly. I am so glad I came across this site at this time in my life. Here is my story:
I used to be a smoker, over weight and out of shape. I was 27 and looking at 30 coming on and knowing that if I kept up my
destructive habits, I was going to pay for it. I stopped smoking, lost 40 pounds, and joined a gym. I worked out religiously, watched everything I ate, and started running. I entered mostly 5k's and one 10k. I even finished in the top three in my age group in a couple of them. Things were going great, and I felt the best I had ever felt in my life. I had visions of taking it another step and was going to start training for a triathlon. I volunteered at one just to see what it was all about, and after being around those people, I knew I wanted to be a part of that community. I had never learned how to swim, at least not for any great distance. So, I signed up for swimming lessons at the local Y and I was on my way. Then, it happened. I was lifting crates in the store that I managed, and I felt a little pinch. Didn't think much of it. A month goes by and I started getting horrible pains in my back and leg.
I went to several doctors and chiropractors and nobody could pinpoint exactly what was wrong with me. I had test after test done and nobody could seem to find the problem or give my any relief. Little did I know that the next 3 1/2 years of my life would be put on hold. I suffered pain with every step, every aspect of my life was affected. Obviously, I had to stop my fitness regimen. It took all I could muster just to get out of bed in the morning and get on with my day. The only thing I had to look forward to was going to bed at night, just to get some relief when I laid down. My life was a living hell. Fast forward to today. A couple of weeks ago, some new doctors that I had been seeing finally found the problem. A blown out disc that had broken off and was floating around in my spinal column. Some how, it had never been caught before after all of this time. Surgery is scheduled for Thursday, the 29th. I once again have hope, as it appears the surgery will fix my back and I will be able to once again lead a normal, pain free life. So, where is all of this going? I have set a goal to pick up where I left off. After surgery, I will once again hit the pool, and brush up on those swimming lessons. I will complete my first triathlon by the end of this summer. I hope to use this site as a tool to get me there. I am going to draw on the knowledge and experience of all of the great people on this site to help me achieve this goal. I figured I would share my story as a contribution to the great advice on this site. I hope that it will remind all of you to not take your good health for granted and to take care of yourself every day. I am looking forward to getting started and getting to know all of you. Take care.

2004-01-22 4:58 AM
in reply to: #4559

User image

New Hampshire
Subject: RE: New as new can get
Welcome.
I used to play rugby and squash (never to any decent level but I was active everyday) and then I did the knee in – Most of the cartilage is gone now as is the knee lining. I switched to the gym for a while just to build up the leg to compensate for having no cartilage.
However I’m a lazy git and gave it all up for beer and other pleasures. Been a smoker since I was in my teens.

Last July I looked at my last packet of cigarettes and gave up smoking – 20+ year habit! Once I’d done that for a while I decided to look at my life and set another goal – after all I’d quit smoking and the mental strength involved in doing that could be applied elsewhere. So Triathlon caught my eye. I’ve never done one before and I hate running with a passion – but I’ll overcome that hatred and at least make it tolerable.

I start training this week (2 weeks behind already because of 2 broken toes - beer and stairs do not mix well) and I have signed up for a sprint tri in August. That gives me 7 months now to lose 50 pounds and be able to do the sprint distances. I CAN do this.

Now you have a few issues that I don’t but hang around here and you’ll get plenty of tips and motivation. Some great people here.

Good luck with the surgery and as long as you don’t overdo it with any training that impacts on your back then there is no reason you can’t be crossing the finish line at the end of summer.

Go for it!
2004-01-22 6:02 AM
in reply to: #4561

New user

Central PA
Thank you. I appreciate the encouragement. Good luck to you as well!!
2004-01-22 6:32 AM

User image

Expert
Rockledge, Fl
welcome tac! What a journey! I will keep your surgery in my prayers and hope it comes out well. It sounds great to set the foal fo rthis summer. Just be sure to tell the doctors your plan and make sure you don't over do it.
2004-01-22 7:34 AM

Veteran
Keller, TX
welcome tac! I don't have a good story to share like you do - all of my challenges are self made (former smoker, eat too much, drink too much, etc.). I've been tri-ing for about 7 months and have never felt better in my life.

Good luck with the surgery - and don't push too hard to get back - ease into it. They tell me tri-ing lasts a lifetime, so you'll have plenty of time, no need to rush.

Best wishes -

T
2004-01-22 9:52 AM

Elite Veteran
Boise, Idaho
I think I speak for everyone when I say that we wish you well on your journey, and hope everthing works out.

2004-01-22 2:50 PM

User image

Resident Matriarch
N 43° 32.927 W 071° 24.431
hiya tac,

my husband has had a laminectomy twice now, and he say's the relief from surgery is immediate. Good luck to you, you should be back in the groove in short time. Back microsurgery is amazing these days. My husband was back to work in 2 weeks.

Mike....you should look into Synvisc for that knee thing you have going on......and I should by stock in whatever company makes it.
www.synvisc.com in case you're wondering.

2004-01-22 4:36 PM

Veteran
Brisbane-Melbourne, Australia
Welcome aboard fm down under mate, and you came to the right place to get started, looking forward to hearing of your progress

craig
2004-01-22 4:41 PM

Regular
South Suburbs of Chicago
Good luck with your surgery. Stick around here and I'm sure that people will be more than willing to help you with any questions, and give you some support. :-)
2004-01-22 6:03 PM

User image

Central Louisiana
Thanks for your story, I haven't been down that road and pray that I never do, but along with many others on the board, we will keep you in our prayers! I look forward to hearing your first race report. Keep us updated on your condition!
2004-01-22 7:33 PM

User image

Veteran
Illinois
You have quite the amazing history on your hands... you've overcome many great hurdles... and soon to overcome this last one. As a person that has been going through PT for a neck/back injury [mt. biking accident] for the past 17 months... please take it nice and easy on your recovery road back into training. And as one of the other readers mentioned, do share this plan with as many health proffesionals as you come in contact with- don't settle for any ONE persons advice. I'm sure that by now you know the differance with pain and discomfort.... nice and slow gets you to the race to win it. Lots of luck and positive outlook in the days to come!

New Thread
General Discussion Introduce Yourself!!! » New as new can get Rss Feed