General Discussion Triathlon Talk » swimming technique/books about swimming Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2007-07-08 4:00 PM

User image

Master
Kirkland, WA
Subject: swimming technique/books about swimming
I am going to be doing my first triathlon in the end of july, and the swim is a concern to me! i have worked on my swimming a little bit w/a friend, to get some tips and i was wondering if you guys have any feedback on books about swimming - mainly technique. i've seen some stuff about immerison swimming? i would like to get some personal coaching - but for the next couple months, i don;t know how it would workout (plus i'm a poor college student!). Also, i seem to be having a problem where my feet fall down lower then the rest of my body - my friend who was helping me helped me w/my stroke which helped even me out some - but it still feels like a struggle to stay near the surface, any suggestions on this? thanks!!

2007-07-08 5:17 PM
in reply to: #876425

User image

Pro
McKinney, TX
Subject: RE: swimming technique/books about swimming
Total Immersion Swimming is the book you're looking for. I've also heard great things about the DVD that goes along with. I only have the book.
2007-07-08 6:20 PM

User image

Master
Denver
Check out triswimcoach.com

There is an inexpensive book, and accompanying videos that are designed expressly for those of us noobs trying to improve in triathlon swimming! There are articles by Kevin at triswimcoach on this site that help too.
2007-07-08 6:23 PM

User image

Veteran
Oceanside
I attended the TI weekend workshop over Memorial Day weekend this year. I had the book for about a year and had wanted to get some hands on experience. It was worth it for a couple of reasons. The majority of the people there were triathletes and that's how I got started doing tris. As far as the workshop, it was great. It allowed me to ask the questions that the book just can't answer. As far as your feet sinking, if you tuck your chin to your chest and look downward, your legs should float to the top. Get the TI video if you can: I bought "Happy Laps" and I glance at it everyday as a reminder before my swim. You will spend the majority of your time doing drills, but you would be amazed at the energy you save. I swam my frist Tri using what I had learned from TI and the pool swim was a piece of cake for me. Anyway, hope this helps.
2007-07-09 10:01 AM

User image

Lethbridge, Alberta
Bronze member
Another good swim book is 'Fitness Swimming' by Emmett Hines. He also has some articles online at www.h2oustonswims.org.
2007-07-09 3:52 PM

Veteran
Chicago, IL
If you go with the Total Immersion DVD, there are 2. The first "Happy Laps" is really meant for beginners that really need to get comfortable with the water. Then the second one "Freestyle made easy" which teaches you the actual swimming tecnique. If you are comfortable floating on your back and holding your breath underwater skip the first dvd.

2007-07-09 4:03 PM

User image

Regular
Hickory, North Carolina
Buy the book Total Immersion and the DVD Freestyle made easy.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » swimming technique/books about swimming Rss Feed