Event Power
75F / 24C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 13m 33s
Overall Rank = 242/408
Age Group = M40-44
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

Woke up at 3:45 to a wife telling me she thinks I am insane. Race course is about 1 hour from home and I like to arrive early (Porta-potties are cleaner and no lines)! Ate banana, bagel and gatorade on ride. Kept distant from any cars on the highway that didn't have bike on back, probable DWI'ers!
Event warmup:

Swam a little but not much. I was circling transition racks because I had end spot and didn't want to be shoved away. With about 15 min. to go before start time some guy shows up and shoves his bike between mine and girl next to me. What a dick!
Swim
  • 09m 50s
  • 500 yards
  • 01m 58s / 100 yards
Comments:

This was my first deep water start and wet suit definitely helped keep me afloat as I bobbed around out there. Was also my first mass wave start, as there were 2 waves, men then women. The first 250 yards was a slugfest! Also since the course was basically a straight line, the leaders were coming right at me..Holy Crap they are on their way back already!! Also, I had to slow because me and another guy were on same exact pace side by side and I was breathing left and he was breathing right..our faces were literally inches from each other!! That was too weird for me, so I tucked in behind him since we were about same pace anyway.
What would you do differently?:

Be more aggressive about finding my water!
Transition 1
  • 02m 40s
Comments:

Jackass who squeezed in at last second had me all flustered in T1..then suit got stuck on ankles and I had sand/mud all over my feet. Finally ready to go and bike tires are stuck on my sneakers so I kick sneakers to free them up and they go flying about 3 spots over along with race# belt!

Be more of a dick to dick-boy and tell him to find spot at end of rack!
Bike
  • 22m 23s
  • 8 miles
  • 21.44 mile/hr
Comments:

Course was definitely shorter than 8 miles! My bike computer had it closer to 7 and my mph as 18.3. I'm very pleased by 18.3 mph! If I could average 18mph for rest of season I'd be stoked!

Nothing.
Transition 2
  • 01m 50s
Comments:

Must put Yankz back on shoes and not kick sneakers in anger. 2nd race in a row I left T2 without race#, this time it was only about 10 feet, but I couldn't find it amongst the chaos of my wetsuit and dick-boys crap on top of mine.

Be more organized.
Run
  • 36m 51s
  • 3.4 miles
  • 10m 50s  min/mile
Comments:

WTF!!! I definitely thought I ran faster than this. Guess not. I should have known when I saw people passing me who didn't even look like they were running, yet they were passing me! I didn't get breathing under control until half way through run. But I did complete the whole run without stopping, which is the first time in a tri event I didn't have to stop. As we came into chute about 50 yards from finish I hear the announcer say oh what a log jam who is going to break away from this large group?? Well, I kicked like it was Free Pizza day in College!! Probably moved up 5 OA spots. Then I thought, if I could have run that hard for the last 50 yards, perhaps I could have been running harder for last 1 mile! I'll get the hang of this whole pacing thing yet!

More brick training. Keep losing weight. Push harder once HR calms down from bike.
Post race
Warm down:

Saw college buddy who beat me by about 6 minutes in our first race together (Memorial Day), this time he only beat me by :24 seconds!!

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Bricks! Lack of running background and overweight engine.

Event comments:

Great race, although packet pickup and race forced 2 rather long drives deep into Long Island's North Fork. This fact alone may prevent me from doing this race again. A lot of first timers at this race which was very inspiring! I am very pleased with my bike, somewhat pleased with swim and know that I must keep working on run! It's all good though as I am still having a lot of fun doing this! Next up is my first ever Oly distance...oh boy!!

Last updated: 2006-12-05 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:09:50 | 500 yards | 01m 58s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 175/408
Performance: Average
Suit: Full Xterra Ventilator
Course: Staright line buoy swim out and back.
Start type: Deep Water Plus: Shot
Water temp: 70F / 21C Current: Low
200M Perf. Below average Remainder: Average
Breathing: Drafting:
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 02:40
Performance: Below average
Cap removal: Below average Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Yes Run with bike:
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
00:22:23 | 08 miles | 21.44 mile/hr
Overall: 167/408
Performance: Good
Wind: None
Course: Loop, gentle, very mild hills. More like the size of highway overpasses.
Road: Smooth  Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Not enough
T2
Time: 01:50
Overall: Below average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:36:51 | 03.4 miles | 10m 50s  min/mile
Overall: 313/408
Performance: Below average
Course: 3.4 mile loop with lots of shade!
Keeping cool Good Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race?
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized?
Events on-time?
Lots of volunteers?
Plenty of drinks?
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5]

{postbutton}
2007-07-09 10:22 AM

User image

Master
Long Island, NY
Subject: Mighty North Fork

2007-07-09 1:20 PM
in reply to: #877201

User image

Subject: RE: Mighty North Fork
Nice job! Some jerk leaned is bike on the end of our rack and covered the rack number.. I have a pic of me in T1 and I think if that's the guy in the picture.. he mounted his bike with a bunch of us and forgot his helmet! We were all yelling "no helmet", including him - until he realized it was him. ha
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Mighty North Fork Rss Feed