General Discussion Race Reports! » Regina Beach Triathlon - Sprint Distance Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Regina Beach Triathlon - Sprint Distance - TriathlonSprint

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Regina Beach, Saskatchewan
Canada
Regina Multisport Club
24C / 75F
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 24m 16s
Overall Rank = 36/58
Age Group = 40-49
Age Group Rank = 3/4
Pre-race routine:

Got up really early...4:15...did a little dance, had two packets of oatmeal, coffee, some water and then drove up to the race. Tried to keep relaxed. Did lots of socializing
Event warmup:

Very little. A little bit of a swim, but my goggles were leaking so focused on getting them to work properly.

walking up and down the main street (huge hill) was a pretty good warm up.
shot of preventative asthma med
Cliff bar
Peed 3 times. last time taking about 5 minutes.
#2 too, glad i dealt with that. Didn't have to go again - although I was worried about it. Note to self. Only one cup of coffee three hours before and very few liquids until start of race....go for a long "camel pee" before!
Swim
  • 11m 37s
  • 750 meters
  • 01m 33s / 100 meters
Comments:

Swim was average. Probably should have pushed a little harder, was put off by the faulty goggles and the tight wetsuit...Overall good and comfortable swim. Some guy kept breast stroking right beside me and kicked my shins a few times..I had to sprint to get away from him. I went a little off course on swim back.
What would you do differently?:

Spend more time adjusting my suit. Get a new pair of goggles. Try to sprint a little more on the swim back to shore. Do a little more drafting on the swim back (I didn't do much on way back) focus a little more on navigation.
Transition 1
  • 07m 19s
Comments:

This transition includes 700 metre uphill run from beach to bike transition. Suit comes off at beach transition, shoes on, run up to bike Really steep hill!, bike stuff on and go.
Ran with clif shot gel in my hand, didn't want to take the time to suck it back. Took a big gulp of water before I took off and held gel pack in mouth

Nothing other than try to run a little faster. Work more on my speed, socks took a little time, but less than I expected. I was meticulous about getting sand off. Very smooth transition. I'm guessing no more than 1.5 minutes in actual transition swim area then bike. The rest is running time up hill!
Bike
  • 38m 5s
  • 20 kms
  • 31.51 km/hr
Comments:

Broke the top 10! My goal for the bike ride was to be in the top ten...I did it!

Tried to settle, but had trouble. sucked back the gel I was clenching in my teeth and tucked wrapper in my tri top.
I was breathing very hard after the run up to transition. It took me about 3 k to get my wind back, but I didn't let up. I argued with myself about going for high cadence vs. big gears. Big gears won, for the most part and I think my running suffered a bit as a result, but I really wanted to go as fast as I could and with the wind, the lower gears just didn't give me enough speed.
Bike rode like a dream...a little bit of clicking, which I couldn't figure out. At one point I went over a "soft" spot and I thought I had flatted!

Aero cockpit is the most comfortable I've ever been in! Thanks Cervelo! Passed people as if they were standing still - I really resented being passed, because I knew I probably could have kept up!
Only two out of saddle sprints - one at the start and the other at the end of the one roller on way back.

Should have done more out of saddle sprints against the wind
Could have probably gone even faster if I focused.
Forgot to turn on my Garmin again! HRM wasn't working! Distracted, but then ignored it.
Hydration was not significant, but I didn't need it.
Overall really, really good ride.

Probably should have spun out a little more in last K, to get the legs ready, but I was trying to squeeze as much speed as I could. Dismount could have been more elegant!
Transition 2
  • 00m 59s
Comments:

My watch has my transition at 59 seconds...That sounds about right, I did this fast!
I almost fell off my bike coming in and trying to get unclipped. I was off balance because I came in so fast and my brain was already in transition. I yanked my foot right out of my shoe and then unclipped the other...not elegant, but it worked. Ended up running with one bare foot and one in a shoe...everyone thought it was deliberate.
Almost took my helmet off before I racked...lost a little concentration. I was moving fast. shoe! off, runners on, hat on asthma meds and Enervitine Cheer Pack (bloody rocket fuel!) in pocket. Gulp of Gu-based electrolyte drink (that I had in one bottle - the aero bottle was water) and took off.

Relax a little, but I did it fast! Trouble breathing...not asthma, just the big hill run to the transition and holding a gel in my teeth! Maybe should have put it in my tri top!
Maybe next time tri loosening both tri shoes and just taking my feet out and running bare foot?
Don't get confused about helmet again.
This was lightning fast!
Run
  • 34m 35s
  • 5 kms
  • 06m 55s  min/km
Comments:

Did what I told myself I would do. Did not finish last. Not disappointed one bit. Still ran a little slow, but I never stopped except at turnaround/water station. Hills were hard but I was deliberate. I could have pushed a little more, but I had very little left in the tank, so I think I pushed enough. The bike ride didn't leave me with much for the run...but that was the plan. I ran like a lunatic down the hill and towards and through the finish shoot ran so fast I almost went through the barrier! Stupid placement of a barrier!

Good run, all things considered. Had gatorade at water station, water poured on head. finished enervitine cheer pack...that is rocket fuel and I'm sure that helped me get through this as well as I did. Have to buy some more. Had some water poured on my back at the top of the hill before decent to finish...a little confusion there not much time lost, but some concentration and pace loss. Shoes and speed laces were great no top of foot pain this time. Single ply socks were great.

Train on more hills.
Push even more, I know I could have.

A number of people passed me and I let them. I should start pacing them, at least for a little while. I know I can do that, but I don't. I should.
Good run overall...Now I have to really work on my speed for next season!
Post race
Warm down:

Did some stretching (finally) but not a lot....Walked around a lot.
Protein bar. Drank the rest of my bike liquids - gu elocrolyte drink and gatorade that I had in the car. Put my stuff away (walked up and down hill) then relaxed with friends.
Had chips, banana, orange chicken wrap and fruit drink. Sat on hill, not good idea as blood pooled in feet, sat upside down head down hill to correct, but then blood pooled in brain.
John and G were waiting at finish...That's the best prize I could have.
Chris K and his Daughter took pictures and video, I can't wait to see them.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

More hill preparation, speed work (run)
Work on swim technique. Suit was a little restrictive - first time. Goggles were a concern. Didn't relax as well as I did at pike lake.
More time in saddle will make bike time faster.

Event comments:

This was my best event ever. I think my smile was proof of this.
Good race, good friends, good organization. Great performance...what more could I ask for?

Profile Album

Last updated: 2007-02-09 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:11:37 | 750 meters | 01m 33s / 100meters
Age Group: 3/4
Overall: 36/58
Performance: Good
Suit: Didn't fit great, left arm limited mobility
Course: The course was short by about 150 metres apparently.that explains my fast time!
Start type: Run Plus: Shot
Water temp: 0C / 0F Current: Low
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Good
Waves: Navigation: Average
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 07:19
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Yes
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
00:38:05 | 20 kms | 31.51 km/hr
Age Group: 2/4
Overall: 9/58
My bike computer had me at an average of 33.3
Wind: Strong
Course: Nice flat, fast course. Wind at my back on way out and very strong on way back. Lots of traffic on highway course. Almost got hit by pick-up towing boat! Passed lots with ease..got passed by 4 disk/deep rimmed-wheel bikes, mostly high end cervelos. I don't feel bad, they were all twice as expensive as mine! Was very tempted to draft behind one of them...I had the power, but slowed down to let him go....he passed me while I was passing someone else.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence: 85
Turns: Good Cornering:
Gear changes: Good Hills:
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 00:59
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:34:35 | 05 kms | 06m 55s  min/km
Age Group: 4/4
Overall: 52/58
My watch has my run at 27:08 - but that doesn't count the run up, way up, the hill from the beach...
Course: Crazy hilly. Mostly rolling and kinda steep downhills on way to turnaround. Have to run uphill to get to first water station and turnaround. then crazy uphills (formerly downhills) on way back, then crazy steep downhill on way to finish - this is the hill I had to run up to bike transition from swim...It's an awesome and nutty course!
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2007-07-09 11:17 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Land of living sighs
Subject: Regina Beach Triathlon - Sprint Distance

2007-07-09 11:26 AM
in reply to: #877341

User image

Extreme Veteran
Land of living sighs
Subject: RE: Regina Beach Triathlon - Sprint Distance

Great race!

Thanks to Nick, John, Erin, and Marina and the cast of thousands of non-BTers for making this the best race so far. And for contributing to the making of a triathlete. Special thanks to John and Nick and Weigh...Your advice, criticism, sarcasm and constant insults have made this all possible for me! Thank you!

Thanks also to Pablo, AMG, Mila, tmason, highwaydog, bopper and the others who helped me get to here...Morden is next...And I'm ready.

Thanks Mila for the early morning fun!  

Edited by windnsnow 2007-07-09 11:30 AM
2007-07-09 11:48 AM

User image

Veteran
Sask.
Great race report TLow.  I hope you enjoy those socks.
2007-07-09 11:57 AM
in reply to: #877406

User image

Extreme Veteran
Land of living sighs
stbrrn - 2007-07-09 10:48 AM Great race report TLow. I hope you enjoy those socks.
I was hoping for tbone...but tlow works too!
2007-07-09 4:12 PM

User image

Regular
Regina, Saskatchewan
You kicked a$$!!!  Hey where are you hiding your goggles today??? LOL

Edited by trisportnick 2007-07-09 4:31 PM
2007-07-09 4:28 PM

User image

Great race report and fantastic race! Congratulations.

Tight wetsuit syndrome is often related to not having enough of a swim warm up prior to racing. Make sure you get at least 10 minutes of splashing around in the water prior to the race start.

Make sure you work out a hydration and nutrition strategy for the HIM - you need to ensure you're taking care of your body's needs for the extended distance.

I'm a big believer of higher cadence over bigger gears - you can get some great speed with a high bike cadence, and I recently read a study that showed that a higher cadence on the bike pays dividends on the run afterwards. Do what works for you, but do keep that in the back of your mind.

Look out Morden!! You're going to do well!!

2007-07-09 6:08 PM
in reply to: #878004

User image

Extreme Veteran
Land of living sighs

amg - 2007-07-09 3:28 PM Great race report and fantastic race! Congratulations. Tight wetsuit syndrome is often related to not having enough of a swim warm up prior to racing. Make sure you get at least 10 minutes of splashing around in the water prior to the race start. Make sure you work out a hydration and nutrition strategy for the HIM - you need to ensure you're taking care of your body's needs for the extended distance. I'm a big believer of higher cadence over bigger gears - you can get some great speed with a high bike cadence, and I recently read a study that showed that a higher cadence on the bike pays dividends on the run afterwards. Do what works for you, but do keep that in the back of your mind. Look out Morden!! You're going to do well!!

I didn't get enough of a warm up  because of ongoing goggle issues. I bought a new pair today...I know you are right about the spinning...It's just wasn't happening yesterday.

Funny, I haven't been able to get the same high cadences 95-105 on my try bike as I was able to on my pinarelo roadie...maybe it's just position...or probably practice...but I am much more comfortable aero on the cervelo!

Food and drink. I'm still working it out in my head. I was going to take a bottle belt, but weigh2go convinced me that there are plenty of water stations along the run.

Thanks for the advice. I respect your experience!
I've got a couple of days to go and that's what I'll be thinking of. 

2007-07-09 11:03 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Land of living sighs
Pictures are up!
2007-07-09 11:05 PM
in reply to: #878137

User image

windnsnow - 2007-07-09 5:08 PM

Food and drink. I'm still working it out in my head. I was going to take a bottle belt, but weigh2go convinced me that there are plenty of water stations along the run.

Check with SaskSport - there is a sports nutritionist here in Saskatoon that has helped many a triathlete; I'm sure there is one based in Regina as well. Lots of good advice at a reasonable cost.
2007-07-09 11:44 PM
in reply to: #878414

User image

Extreme Veteran
Land of living sighs
amg - 2007-07-09 10:05 PM
windnsnow - 2007-07-09 5:08 PM

Check with SaskSport - there is a sports nutritionist here in Saskatoon that has helped many a triathlete; I'm sure there is one based in Regina as well. Lots of good advice at a reasonable cost.

Thanks. I'll look into that...following Morden (and while I'm building up my running again) I'm going to focus on nutrition, core strength and balance and technique (swim). Lots to do! 

2007-07-10 8:48 PM
in reply to: #878456

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.

2007-07-10 10:11 PM

Pro
Sous Mon Diadème
Well now.  That was a heck of a race.  Top 10 on the bike???  Not too shabby!  AND... not only did you not finish last, you finished quite nicely.  Congratulations on a great race.  Needless to say I thoroughly enjoyed reading the RR.  Thanks for the props... but you did all the required work on race day and would have with or without me being up at the crack of stupid saying silly things .
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Regina Beach Triathlon - Sprint Distance Rss Feed