United States
Bottomless Lake State Park
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 07m 45s
Overall Rank = 75/124
Age Group = 55-59
Age Group Rank = 6/8
Pre-race routine:

Camped at bottomless lakes - beautiful sunrise, nice facilities. short walk to transition. Got up at 6:00 shower, stretch, eat. Get bike ready and drove over to transision area in case I forgot to bring anything like say my sun glasses to the race.
Event warmup:

Easy jog ~1/2 mi, Easy spin on bike 10 min. Wait in the warm sun for wave 2 swim. Swim out ~20 yards just before 2nd wave start to get used to the water.
Swim
  • 00m
  • 437 yards
  • / 100 yards
Comments:

I was real happy with the swim. It was my first mass start where I actually started in the mass. There were only about 50 in my wave, so it wasn't too crowded. I decided to start this time more in the middle of the pack, because that's where I expected to swim. I did try drafting for maybe 1/4 of the way. it was my first attempt to draft in the swim. I finished at the back of the fast group. I was quite out of breath in T1, so I may have pushed the swim a bit too hard
What would you do differently?:

Take it just a little easier at the end of the swim. more practice.
Transition 1
  • 00m
Comments:

My plan was to cut at least a minute off of my T1 time. I think I did at least that in spite of spilling gu on my handle bars, stopping to wipe it off, then getting the towel caught on bike big ring, and having to stop and untangle it (just a few seconds) Tri outfit, no socks in bike shoes, both helped a lot. Jog into and out of T1. I've been practicing T1 and it helped. Especially clipping in quickly. Passed the girl in front of me comming out of T1.

Save the snack till on the bike.

Bike
  • 29m 47s
  • 7.46 miles
  • 15.03 mile/hr
Comments:

Because of the short distance I decided to hit it hard up the first hill out of T1, as well as the downhills. I stood up on the hill out of T1, and perhaps that was a bit much. Really out of breath out of T1 through the top of the hill and beyond. I might have done a bit better to pace myself a bit. I did very well on the downhills and the curves. I rode the course twice a few weeks ago and the pracitce helped a bunch. On my three rides in Ruidoso I also practiced going fast downhill (although those roads were much smoother). Also a big help. No one passed me on the downhill. I did get passed a bunch right at the end of the bike, when I just didn't have much left.

The ride was very good for a training ride. If I was really racing I would not have ridden 1:20 the day before. I needed to drink just a little less - I was sloshing on the run. Not spilling stickey stuff on my handle bars would be a plus, although I did use my water bottle to wash it off during the ride, which left the hands and handle bars a little more slick than I would have liked. Stickey, or slippery, Hmmm not a good choice. It was a distraction but probably not much of a time factor.
Transition 2
  • 00m
Comments:

My goal was to improve this transition, and although not timed, I thought it went very fast. Having the race belt helps, putting the socks on for the run and not the bike also speeds things up. Ran in and out. Dismount worked just as practiced and went very well. Someone had racked their bike in my slot. ARG! It took a few seconds to decide where to put mine. I did not want to take anyone elses.

re arrainge my stuff, so the number belt is the last thing, so that I can buckle it on, on the way out of T2. Watching the fastest guys transition at the Milkman (while waiting for my wave) helped me get my head on straight about transition.
Run
  • 28m 24s
  • 2.49 miles
  • 11m 25s  min/mile
Comments:

This must include T2. My watch said I was sub 11 min pace, an exciting barrior for me. I did walk one min run four throughout the race, and walked through the two aide stations. Drank too much. But I did pour the rest of the water on myself - that works. Good run. Calfs were sore - I was excited to feel as good as I did. Rather than sprint to the finish I just ran on in. - Training day remember. And I was planning more OWS before I left the venue. No knee pain. Awesome

Again training right up to the race - ran four miles (my farthest in training to date) on Friday probably limited performance, but increased confidence.
Post race
Warm down:

Walked around and visited. Drank water, ate some watermellon. Swam 800 yds across the lake and back. Great cool down.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Real happy with transitions. Training up to race day definitely slowed both the run and bike I think.

Event comments:

I gave this race a best rating because I really like swimming in this lake, and the people were all super friendly, nice, and helpful. Lots of first timers as well. I think they could easily put together an Oly here with two laps of lake, and there is lots of road that could be ridden. The bike could go down towards Dexter out and back, then around the lakes. The run could easily be longer. Overall a great race for first timers. Clear lake water and short distances.

Profile Album

Last updated: 2007-06-05 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:00:00 | 437 yards | / 100yards
Age Group: 3/8
Overall: 45/124
Performance: Good
Suit:
Course:
Start type: Wade Plus:
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current:
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Average Drafting: Average
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 00:00
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
00:29:47 | 07.46 miles | 15.03 mile/hr
Age Group: 5/8
Overall: 67/124
Performance: Average
Wind: Some
Course: Around the park, with a good climb less than a mile out of T1. Some nice fast downhill ~22mph. several rolling climbs after the first. last couple of miles are slightly uphill, and were into the wind. Senic if you're looking.
Road: Rough Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Average Hills: Average
Race pace: Too hard Drinks: Too much
T2
Time: 00:00
Overall:
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:28:24 | 02.49 miles | 11m 25s  min/mile
Age Group: 7/8
Overall: 91/124
Performance: Average
Course: Flat out and back in the hot sun, up the valley and back. The slight head wind on the way back helped because it made it cooler. Two aide stations (plus the one coming out of T2)
Keeping cool Average Drinking Too much
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes