Winding Trails Recreation Assoc.
90F / 32C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 05m 25s
Overall Rank = /
Age Group =
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

Drive a mad dash for 2hrs through rush hour traffic. Bursting for the loo from hydrating on the drive. No time to go.
Event warmup:

Grab bag from car. Put bike together. Ride to start. Ask "can I still register", "yes, you have 10 mins". Paid. Got body marked. Found a spot in TA. Layout stuff. Run over to beach, ask nearest person about course, gun goes!!
Swim
  • 07m 59s
  • 440 yards
  • 01m 49s / 100 yards
Comments:

Got this race literally at the last minute so didn't think about where to stand on the beach. As the gun went I realized I was in the wrong position - on the L side which would be on the inside of the buoy at the turn. In hindsight I should;ve just walked over to the R.
The only other swim I've done had very few people so the bun fight at the start took me a bit by surprise. I got stuck behind a zagger. He drifted L in front of me so I hopped around the back of him and then he corrected and chopped right across me. Very annoying. I should probably have been a bit more aggressive and moved up at the start.
What would you do differently?:

Arrive at the race a little earlier which would;ve happened if traffic didn't SUCK. As it was it was a miracle I got there in time. 1 hr 45 mins from Stamford in rush hour traffic.
Transition 1
  • 01m 49s
Comments:

There was a decent run up from the beach, maybe 100-200yds. My bike was just lying on the ground as racks were full but rinsed feet and put on socks and mtb shoes. Have to try and do the no sock thing at some point.

Rack bike somewhere not tucked away but I got there late so beggars can't be choosers.
Bike
  • 27m 36s
  • 5 miles
  • 10.87 mile/hr
Comments:

I was anaerobic coming out of the swim so was right at the limit before I got on the bike. Point of doing the race was to give the new mtb a spin which I did and it was fun if painful from the heat and the gasping.

Train. Familiarize myself with course.
Transition 2
  • 00m
Comments:

Didn't get a split here but dumped stuff and put on trail shoes that have the speed laces.

Try to learn/train to do this with no socks.
Run
  • 27m 49s
  • 3 miles
  • 09m 16s  min/mile
Comments:

The air temp was so warm - daytime highs were in the 100s - that you couldn't really feel the heat but it was near the 90s which I felt more on the run. Add that to the spastic T2 legs and the run was a shuffle. Plus I really really had to pee by this time. So I just pee'd as I ran - not a good visual I know - but my shoes drain quick and no one was a round. i think it was the world's longest pee.

Not arrive so late at the race that I have no time to pee. Work on running off the bike.
Post race
Warm down:

Walked over to the lake with drink. Soaked in lake for a bit - it felt good. Walked back.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

lack of recent training and heat.

Event comments:

For a training race this is great. Well-organized, prompt timing, posted at the finish and a good casual summer vibe. A really diverse mix of folk. Knew that I'd suck fitness wise but wanted to do it to get a swim in as the Stamford Y pool is shut and I haven't found anywhere else to swim so haven't swum in a month. Also wanted to test out swimming in linerless bike shorts and Hammer crop top (they work fine) and test the new mtb (sweet!) and work on transitions (gotta lose the socks, gotta lose the socks). Took wetsuit with me but didn;t wear it as thought I;d overheat but would've liked another chance to wear/get out of that in race conditions. As it was I was so late to the race that I wouldn't have had time to put it on anyway. Heat was crazy oppressive - haven't seen official times but would think I'm bottom third. However psyched that I got a good workout/mental health session in against the odds of long workdays and long drive. Races are every week so I guess I have a chance to improve each week.

Last updated: 2007-07-11 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:07:59 | 440 yards | 01m 49s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/
Performance: Good
This was time from starting to hitting the beach.
Suit: no
Course: 100 yds out from beach. L turn, parallel beach for 200 yds, L turn to beach.
Start type: Wade Plus:
Water temp: 80F / 27C Current: Low
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Below average
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Average
T1
Time: 01:49
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed:
Biking
00:27:36 | 05 miles | 10.87 mile/hr
Performance: Average
Wind: None
Course: Very winding forest trails with mix of surfaces including some sandy/fish-taily bits. Fun trails with roots.
Road:   Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 00:00
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:27:49 | 03 miles | 09m 16s  min/mile
Performance: Average
Course: 3 miles back out on different but similar trails to the bike leg. Quiet hilly.
Keeping cool Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2007-07-11 12:33 PM

Veteran
Subject: Winding Trails Offroad Tri Series

2007-07-11 12:40 PM
in reply to: #881248

User image

Expert
Avon, CT
Subject: RE: Winding Trails Offroad Tri Series

Nice race! Sounds like you made the best of a rushed pre-race situation.

I saw a flyer for this race series at the bike shop the other night and was thinking about showing up some night (I live nearby). I can't believe you drove all the way up from Stamford in rush hour! How technical is the bike course? I'm not much of a mtn biker but I'd like to try.

2007-07-11 1:28 PM
in reply to: #881270

Veteran
Bike course is really smooth - pine needles on trails but there are some lumpy tree roots and it winds around a bit. There's also a little sand which makes the bike fish tail a bit but I think on the whole for surface and distance that it's a good course for a less technical/experienced rider. Trails are really pretty. No long hills, just little whoops. I think on past results some people have ridden it on a road bike!
2007-07-11 1:33 PM
in reply to: #881248

Expert

Nice job...I have also thought about doing one of these races...sounds like fun.

I used to do adventure races up there and trails are pretty tame so I don't think you would have any problems Polly.

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Winding Trails Offroad Tri Series Rss Feed