Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 3

2007-07-12 3:45 PM
in reply to: #883223

User image

Master
Knightdale/Raleigh
Subject: RE: Cyclists that run red lights

WOW! I am shocked by the extremes on both sides.

I have come up on rural lights and leaned my bike way over to try to get a green light. I waited 3-5 (but felt like 10) minutes before giving up and going. That was very early on in my riding and there was a hill just off to the right, so I would have prefered to have the light stop anyone going 60mph over the hill.

Now a couple of you imply that you would have waited indefinitely for a green which seems crazy to me. I guess if you are going to be that strict you could hop off and walk across (there is no pedestrian light out in the country).

I stop for right turn on red as well, because that is what other users should expect. I get the feeling that some would just keep going on a right turn figuring that traffic will pass them on the left the same as if they had been on that road the whole time. But, if I'm driving and I seen someone (car or bike) coming perpendicular and I have a green light, I expect that they will stop. Imagine how reckless it appears to see someone come up from a side street and turn right at speed as though they had a green light. Cars scare me when they do that, because I don't know that they are looking at all.

The point of traffic laws is to facilitate the interaction of road users, keeping everyone safe and moving traffic along in an orderly manner. Following the traffic laws makes cyclists predictable. Car drivers have a right to expect that bikes will stop and then go when its clear. Just as bikes have a right to expect that a car coming up behind them will pass when its safe or a car pulling out will respect the bike's right of way and not pull out right in front of them.

I think behaving predictably helps keep me safe, but I'm flexible enough to do what I need to do in a given situation, such as a red light with no one around.

2007-07-12 3:51 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Rocklin
Kharma, best reason to stop...yelling at biker that doesn't stop = bad kharma...yelling at the wrong biker who doesn't stop = black eye. I'll mind my own business thank you.

Everyone obey all laws...period. The "Man" knows what's best for you, listen, obey, obey, go to work, sleep, slleeeeep. (sorry getting a little PM crazy here).
2007-07-12 4:00 PM
in reply to: #883652

User image

Champion
, Minnesota
Bronze member

Thank you, DMarkSwan, for saying what I wish I had said first. 

And to clarify my position on this, I do not BLOW through red lights like in the example from the OP.  I do, however, proceed through a red light in situations when there are no other cars around and I have stopped and looked.   I am also careful to signal before I change lanes or turn, etc.

I will probably never be able to understand anyone whose argument is "why do you care?", when it comes to frustrations around the breaking the law.  I like the law and I like order and I obey it because it's all I've got, and I would like everyone else to obey it too, thank you, because then my rights are protected as well.  And mostly it is for the reasons that DMarkSwan states.  Oh, and I would prefer that everyone obey the "don't murder people" laws and the ones that say "don't steal my stuff" too.  If that helps clarify the position at all. 

Regarding cyclists, I also want to be able to have an argument with anyone who says I shouldn't be able to ride on the road with cars.  I want to be able to say that I am obeying the traffic laws and am allowed to share the road.  I don't want them to be able to say that cyclists are always breaking the laws and not sharing politely, like the example cyclist in the OP. 

2007-07-12 4:05 PM
in reply to: #883669

User image

Champion
Butler
BikerGrrrl - 2007-07-12 4:00 PM

anyone whose argument is "why do you care?", when it comes to frustrations around the breaking the law.  I like the law and I like order and I obey it because it's all I've got, and I would like everyone else to obey it too, thank you, because then my rights are protected as well.  And mostly it is for the reasons that DMarkSwan states.  Oh, and I would prefer that everyone obey the "don't murder people" laws and the ones that say "don't steal my stuff" too.  If that helps clarify the position at all. 

I agree, the reason I care what others do is what if I hit you while you are "breaking the law" and kill you.  Well I will one either feel like crap for the rest of my life or two, will have to explain the police what happened and hope they believe me and don't lock me up for Manslaughter.   Like I said I roll though lights if noone is around and it is not necessarily right.
2007-07-12 4:14 PM

User image

Expert
Earth

I personally do NOT blow through either Stop signs or Lights in most cases.  I have been known on more than one occation to roll a stop sign, generally it is when there is no one around.  I have been signed to go through on many occations by drivers. 

Lights never do I just BLOW through them, I have run several in my area.  Most after sitting waiting for the little metal in my bike to trip the loop.  But if you can't trip the loop your ride is going to stop right there if you don't run it.  I actually had a light that I started to run, flip on me and go green when I figured there was no way I was tripping the light.  I have also been at the front of a line of cars, and motioned the first car to roll up for me.  That way THEY trip the light, some will and some give me this odd look "What the heck are you wanting???"  I figure if THEY want to roll, they need to roll up.

2007-07-12 4:18 PM
in reply to: #883282

aggiecatcher - 2007-07-12 2:29 PM

Where I ride there are a number of lights that will not change for a cyclist (only cars) since we don't trigger the weight sensor (no cross-walks either, not that I would use one). I don't run them per se, but there are lots of times I have to go through a red.

I must admit though, I run stop signs all the time where I can see the intersection or a car shields me from getting hit (i.e. the car leaves the line just before me).,

• The trail that I ride crosses at a lot of crosswalks with stoplights and smaller roads with stop signs and that's where you have to cross when you're on a bike. If there is nothing in sight or nothing coming, I'll cross, just as I would on foot. But if I'm riding in the physical street and there's a stoplight, then I'll stop. At a stopsign in a neighborhood, I'll slow and make sure nothing is coming. But blatantly running through a red light on a busy road (when you're not in the crosswalk) is dangerous.

2007-07-12 4:20 PM
    in reply to: #883677

User image

Champion
    Butler
    kproudfoot - 2007-07-12 4:05 PM
    BikerGrrrl - 2007-07-12 4:00 PM

anyone whose argument is "why do you care?", when it comes to frustrations around the breaking the law.  I like the law and I like order and I obey it because it's all I've got, and I would like everyone else to obey it too, thank you, because then my rights are protected as well.  And mostly it is for the reasons that DMarkSwan states.  Oh, and I would prefer that everyone obey the "don't murder people" laws and the ones that say "don't steal my stuff" too.  If that helps clarify the position at all. 

I agree, the reason I care what others do is what if I hit you while you are "breaking the law" and kill you.  Well I will one either feel like crap for the rest of my life or two, will have to explain the police what happened and hope they believe me and don't lock me up for Manslaughter.   Like I said I roll though lights if noone is around and it is not necessarily right.
    Not too mention, if this law is okay to break when does it stop. 
    2007-07-12 6:22 PM

User image

Master
    brummie land
    ohmygod! so glad i live in england with proper traffic lights. run one 3 times ever as i was running late and they were all pedestrian crossings minus pedestrains. embarassed to admit it. then again i don't ride early enough to run through anything! also i live in the 2nd biggest city in the u.k.

Edited by sappho96 2007-07-12 6:22 PM
    2007-07-12 6:50 PM

User image

Expert
    In limbo

I had a really really scary moment on my bike just yesterday.  I was stopped at a red light.....definitely no running it as the street we were crossing was a 3-lane one way with lots of traffic going at least 35-40mph.  Or so I thought.  A group of three cyclists came up from the other side and one of them darts across the intersection.  I don't think he ever even touched his brakes!  Two cars (who still had the green light) had to slam on their brakes for this idiot.  Once they'd stopped, the first guys buddy apparently decided he should go too so between the two of them they totally blocked the intersection.  (The third guy waited for the light to change).  I was just so shocked to see somebody be that gutsy/stupid on a bike!  Scared the crap out of me b/c I was just sure I was about to watch a cyclist go underneath a car.  I was a bit embarassed to be a cyclist at the moment too, even though I clearly wasn't with them since I was going the other way.  I wanted to shout something to them but I think my bottom jaw was still down on the ground b/c I couldn't seem to get any words out.  I'm sure none of you who run red lights would be that complacent, but still....

As for me....if it's a sensor light that I can't trip then I'll run it once I'm sure no cars are coming.  I have had a couple of times where the light just took forever to change and I have eventually just gone, but that's pretty rare.  I do a rolling slow-down and look for all stop signs, and I'll stop altogether if there's cars.  I tend to slow down a bit at every intersection even if the other street has the stop sign because i'm afraid ppl in cars might not see me coming if I'm going fast. 

Here's another question for you all....If you come up to a stop light or sign where there is a line of cars waiting to go, do you go up the shoulder on the right to get to the front of the line?  I've seen lots of ppl do this lately but to me it seems stupid b/c it just means that the cars will again have to pass you without much room to do it.  Unless there's a bike lane that goes all the way up to the light....that's a whole different story....but otherwise I figure if i'm riding on the street I should stay in the same lane as the cars do and not try to sneak up the side.  

2007-07-12 6:59 PM
    in reply to: #883502

User image

Elite
    Renton, Washington

AdrEnaLineRuSh - 2007-07-12 12:50 PM first off, you probably shouldnt honk at a cyclist, personally I can't stand that! If there is a bike path or crosswalk across the intersection of the red light and there arent any cars crossing why the hell would you stop your bike. that just sounds crazy to me.

Well it gets their attention, most of them don't hear it anyway as they've already whizzed passed the lights while I am still sitting there. If a car blows through the light, I also honk. It's a WARNING. Either that or they are wearing IPODs. It's just a death wish really and if that's what they want, then fine...but if I hit one of them? Then what?  And this is a busy intersection, there are no crosswalks..so that's not the point here anyway.

2007-07-12 7:02 PM

User image

Coach
    Boston, MA

Cyclists that run red lights...

Are uummmm idiots!!! Not to mention those wearing iPods on heavy transited areas, ride without a helmet, ride while chatting on their cell phone, etc…

2007-07-12 7:16 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
    Rocklin
    There should be a distinction here between running a light and going through one. Blindly flying through a red light in traffic is maybe one of the most dangerous things I can think of. Slowing down and rolling through (5-15 mph) a red light with no traffic and clean views seems pretty acceptable to me.

Good thing we have all these citizen officers to police us!!!

Coming soon to DVD...Police Acamamy 8 -- Citizens in Spandex
    2007-07-12 7:17 PM
    in reply to: #883866

User image

Extreme Veteran
    northeast Ohio
    lil_turtle - 2007-07-12 7:50 PM

Here's another question for you all....If you come up to a stop light or sign where there is a line of cars waiting to go, do you go up the shoulder on the right to get to the front of the line?  I've seen lots of ppl do this lately but to me it seems stupid b/c it just means that the cars will again have to pass you without much room to do it.  Unless there's a bike lane that goes all the way up to the light....that's a whole different story....but otherwise I figure if i'm riding on the street I should stay in the same lane as the cars do and not try to sneak up the side.  

I don't know the legality of it, but seems like riding up the right hand side of a stopped line of cars is asking to be killed.  Cars do not expect you to be there.  I'm with you lil turtle.  I will actually pull into the center of the lane and take my spot behind the last car.  Then when traffic starts again, I will move back to the right hand side of the road to make it easier for cars behind me to pass.

And in case I was one who sounded like I sit and wait at lights forever, well I don't.   I will go if there is no traffic and if it is a vehicle activated light.  If it is a regular light, I kind of judge the situation, but I would say most times I will wait.  Sometimes I admit, I don't

And I did earn some good cyclist karma points for us all tonight.  I was riding home from work and approached a stop sign at a main highway.  There was a truck traveling in the same direction I was going to be going after I turned onto the main road.  I could have easily done a rolling stop, turn on the highway and been safe, but then the truck would have to pass me right off the bat.  I decided to error on the side of caution and stopped at the stop sign.  Behind the truck were two sherrif deputy cars.  I got to watch them pass as I was dutifully stopped at the stop sign.   

2007-07-12 7:55 PM
    in reply to: #883263

User image

Extreme Veteran
    Hoboken, NJ

"...I consider myself half-pedestrian half-car when I am on the road cycling..."

x3 - I don't "blow" through lights, but handle them as I would as a pedestrian - if it's clear and safe I go, if not I wait...

I'm really religious about (most) other traffic laws though - I avoid riding in the wrong lane or the wrong way on a one way street like the plague...

Edited by ezl 2007-07-12 8:09 PM
    2007-07-12 8:02 PM
    in reply to: #883358

User image

Extreme Veteran
    Hoboken, NJ

"...lawbreaking social outcasts..."

Where do I pick up my black hat? 

2007-07-12 8:51 PM

Champion
    No excuses!
    Guilty as charged

2007-07-12 9:01 PM
    in reply to: #883333

User image

Extreme Veteran
    I hear ya if the most stressful thing that happens to me is a bike rider running a red light in front I me I would consider that a great day. If drivers would pay attention when they are driving it would not be a problem.....

I'm a police officer and let me tell you when it comes to the roads being unsafe it sure is not the guy/girl who decided to ride his bike but rather the majority of people who were issued drivers licenses and should have flashing yellow lights and signs taped to them to warn everyone else they are coming
    2007-07-12 9:40 PM
    in reply to: #883694

User image

Master
    Lexington, Kentucky
    If we want drivers to respect us, we need to respect the drivers.
    2007-07-12 9:46 PM

User image

Veteran
    Vacaville, Ca
    I wonder how many of us speed. That's illeagal too. The truth is.. we all break the law.. but as a cyclist I am aware that many people don't like us on the road in the first place. I always stop for lights ( if there are cars around ) and I always slow down to a safe speed check over my shoulder for the 5-0...
    2007-07-13 12:23 AM

User image

Master
    Denver
    I'll run them if NO ONE else is around. If cars are anywhere nearby, no go.
    2007-07-13 4:56 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
    London
    ScotinSeattle - 2007-07-12 6:05 PM

Cyclists that run red lights ....

deserver everything they get IMO and they will run into Mr. Darwin's theory eventually.

Cyclists are road users and as such must abide by the rules of the road. End of discussion.

2007-07-13 5:38 AM

User image

Master
    Atlanta, Georgia
    I was a bicycle messenger in Washington DC for a little while in the early '80's. .Bad Ju-Ju, man. Basically, the only way to make money was to break every law in the book. And I did.

I'll be paying off that accumulated bad karma until, well pretty much forever.

Good times.
    2007-07-13 5:43 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
    Just curious, for all the avid law abiders?

1) do you signal every time u turn?
    2) do you speed through residential areas?
    3) have you ever passed to the right?---improper passing
    4) do you drink from your water bottle while moving--distracted driving?
    5) do you check your bike computer while moving----distracted driving?
    etc......

let it go--if they get hit by a car its on them
    2007-07-13 6:35 AM

User image

Coach
    Boston, MA
    It is funny how some people choose the "I know what I am doing" attitude to justify their own stupidity.

I don’t know why it is so hard to show courtesy and respect to others. We demand it from drivers but we also want to do what we want when riding? Sorry we can’t have it both ways. But since many won’t change I’ll have to keep dodging cars AND riders when training…

2007-07-13 6:47 AM
    in reply to: #884125

User image

Extreme Veteran
    northeast Ohio

m-mcclain - 2007-07-13 6:43 AM Just curious, for all the avid law abiders? 1) do you signal every time u turn? 2) do you speed through residential areas? 3) have you ever passed to the right?---improper passing 4) do you drink from your water bottle while moving--distracted driving? 5) do you check your bike computer while moving----distracted driving? etc......

No, yes, yes, yes and yes.   For some weird reason I'm not a perfect person.  Do I do all those illegal things all the time?  Not even close.  BUT, I'll bet I can go through a whole day and not break one traffic law without much thought because the rules have been ingrained in my tiny little brain. 

let it go--if they get hit by a car its on them

Yes, and I'm sure if I was the one in the car who hit the cyclist, it wouldn't affect me at all. 

Following that reasoning, why care if anyone drives drunk?  If they run their car off the road and kill themselves, who cares?

I don't claim that any of us obey all the traffic laws all the time.  I certainly don't, but I do try at least.  I think as bicyclists we have a duty to be good advocates for the sport.  There are a lot of kids that read these forums that are just learning the rules of the road so to speak.  I bet most kids don't realize that cyclists are vehicles and need to follow rules.  Most of them don't even know what the rules are until they go through driver's ed.  I think we need to be good role models.  We don't need to be perfect.

New Thread
    General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Cyclists that run red lights Rss Feed  

of 3