General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Treadmill vs outdoors... Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2004-09-30 7:06 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Melbourne
Subject: Treadmill vs outdoors...
Hi all,
Just wanted to know your experiences of the difference between running on a treadmill and running outdoors (trails, ovals, parks, grass, etc etc). I had the experience of stepping on a treadmill for my run for the first time (rainy day) and it was so much harder (maybe because I thought it was really boring? :-( ) I set it to 15km/hr and boy was I running FAST to try and keep that pace going - I had to slow it down before I injured myself...

I am a bit disconcerted because I am aiming for 4min per km and on a treadmill it was impossible for me at this stage. Is it because you can't really stride?

Comments? Advice?
M

2004-09-30 7:33 AM
in reply to: #67969

Pro
Andover
Subject: RE: Treadmill vs outdoors...
Here is a link to a thread from a while back:
http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp...

I really struggle on the dreadmill as well. But, at least when I'm done, I know I had a good workout.

Cheers,
Rob
2004-09-30 8:07 AM

User image

Expert
Jacksonville, FL
I hate the treadmill because of the boredom. It seems that my pace on the road is faster than on the treadmill. If you can vary your workout with intervals instead of just going at a steady pace it makes it more interesting.
2004-09-30 8:28 AM

User image

Master
Pensacola, Fl

Harder becuase of the boredom....YES.  But easier because the treadmill is moving!!!  I have been told by coaches and in readings that to simlulate outdoor running, you should increase the incline to 1-2%, to offset the assitance that the treadmill gives you.  I try to do that in all of my treadmill runs.  I use my treadmill quite often as getting away from work during the day is almost impossible and with me already starting work at 0600, I can't get up any earlier, not to mention that it is damn hot here in New Olreans during the day!  What was I thinking in leaving San Diego?  But I digress...Treadmill running is better than no running at all and if you can get past the boredom then it can be a great aid for training when running outdoors is not an option.  Find some good music or set up a tv in front of the treadmill.  Works for me!

2004-09-30 8:34 AM

User image

Champion
Ottawa, Ontario
It's like everything else, the real thing is always best...or at least, more enjoyable.  There is no comparison between running on a treadmill in a gym and running outside by a lake or along a wooded path with the sun sunshining.  There are advantages to running on a treadmill, however.  I find that I can go a bit faster because of the shock absorbing nature of the treads.  I can control the terrain, ie, height adjustment, the speed, and the distance.  I mention the distance because when you are outside and you have to stop because of injury or tiredness and are 2 kilometers from home, you have to get back home somehow even if you have to walk.  If for any reason you need to cut your training session short on a treadmill, you simply press the "off" button and get off.  On a treadmill, there is no traffic, no pedestrians, no kids on bikes, no dogs, no bugs, just you running without interuption.  In the end, however, it comes down less to "which is best?" but more to "which option do I have?"  It is preferable to run outside when the sun is shining and nature is in its full glory but when it is 40 degrees below outside and there is half a meter of snow on the roads, running is not much fun!
2004-09-30 9:37 AM

User image

Regular
Mississippi

i think i would rather become a couch potato than run on the dreadfully boring treadmill...

on second thought, if i was at a gym surrounded by really fit females on treadmills next to me, i could probably stand it for a few minutes!!!  like that will ever happen.  haha

2004-09-30 9:40 AM
in reply to: #67988

User image

Master
Marietta, Ga

I have to agree with Michel.  In races, you run and bike on pavement.  Whenever possible, duplicate your race conditions as much as you can when you train.  However, bike trainers and dreadmills are vastly better than doing nothing when weather or darkness prevent an outside workout.

I don't like treadmills since they alter the dynamics of my running stride.

2004-09-30 10:52 AM
in reply to: #68019

User image

Champion
Ottawa, Ontario

"...on second thought, if i was at a gym surrounded by really fit females on treadmills next to me, i could probably stand it for a few minutes!!!  like that will ever happen.  haha"

Trent, I thought of mentioning that also. True enough, it is always nice to run on a treadmill when I have a fine looking young lady running beside me or a few fine female athletes cycling on the stationary bikes in front of me.  But the truth of the matter is that I am a very mature person who consentrates so much when running that I cannot see the women around me, no matter how enticing...cough cough...Oh crap!  is my nose getting longer????? 

2004-09-30 12:19 PM
in reply to: #67986

Regular
But easier because the treadmill is moving!!! 

I always found the treadmill much easier when it wasn't moving

I have been told by coaches and in readings that to simlulate outdoor running, you should increase the incline to 1-2%, to offset the assitance that the treadmill gives you.

I've heard this also but it's just bad science unless you are holding on. There is no wind resistance which can make it a little easier but I don't know where the assistance comes from.
Personally I don't like the running machines because they control the pace too much, I know some people prefer this. They are very useful when it's cold and wet
though.
2004-09-30 12:31 PM

User image

Ontario

I actually enjoy running on the treadmill at the gym.  I like the instant feedback I get, i.e. what pace I'm running at, and how far I've gone.  I also find that it's easier to step up my training intensity by known amounts - I make sure to use the same machine each time so I can track my relative progress.

Hopefully once I have more running under my belt, I'll be able to "feel" if I'm going at the right pace or not, which will make outdoor workouts more productive.  And with the cold weather coming soon, I'll be using their facilities over the winter instead of running in the snow.

2004-09-30 2:13 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Thunder Bay, Ontario
I have a strong dislike for treadmills also. So boring.   Now if there was 'virtual reality' of outdoors zooming by, it would be a different story.  Although there's been much controversary about running outdoors ie slant of pavement hurting knees & hips etc, I still prefer it.  Now we're getting closer to cooler temps, pretty soon some snow, I enjoy the outdoors, pretty peaceful in the early morning.

2004-09-30 2:38 PM

Elite
Livingston, MT
Treadmilling is not running. Using a stair-climber is not climing stairs. Using a stationary bike is not riding a bike. If the treadmill says you can do a six minute mile, or the stationary bike says your cadence is 100 rpm's on a virtual hill, I can guarantee you that the same exertion on the real thing doesn't net the same. They are all good exercises and if you have no other options, then by all means use the machines. IMHO, if you can do the real thing, then do it.
2004-09-30 3:19 PM

User image

Regular
Austin, Texas
Here's an article from "Runner's World" about what treadmills can do for you.

They helped me stay into running last winter when ice and slush clogged all my usual Michigan roads and trails.

http://www.runnersworld.com/article/0,5033,s6-52-0-0-5915,00.html

(As a rookie on this site here, I hope it's OK to post links to helpful articles.)
2004-09-30 3:43 PM

Veteran
Washington
I personally like the treadmill as well. I am the type of person that if I run outdoors, without some way to monitor my workouts, I would over train and end up with injuries, or be so exhausted that I wouldn't want to run on a consistent basis. The treadmill allows me to track my workouts (time, distance, and calories), as well as to include interval workouts as well. My goal is next spring to have my training on course and move to the great outdoors!
2004-09-30 4:49 PM

User image

Expert
Iowa
Thanks for the Runner's World link. And yes, posting links is not only OK, it's encouraged. I don't mind the treadmill at all, and I don't find it boring. I use them at a gym where we can watch TV or watch each other. It might not be like running outside, but the differences can be an opportunity. It's a great opportunity, for instance, to do long, consistent heart rate or pacing work. Treadmills, like finishing a triathlon, is mind over matter.
2004-09-30 9:12 PM

User image

Veteran
San Diego, CA
I prefere to run on the treadmill for convienince more than anything, howver, I was in Pasagula Mississippi 2 years ago, and it was to hot outside to run (180 deg w/120% humidity), so I spent a lot of miles on the t-mill exclusivly. When it finally cooled off enough to run outside, I had problems with my ankles. It seems the t-mill belt relieves the foot of having to push the leg & body forward (as it is moving away in the same direction as the foot) as much as on the non-moving ground. I was essentially retraining my ankles & shins to move my body. So I try now to split my time evenly between the two, and I havn't had that problem again.

2004-09-30 10:38 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Melbourne
Thanks for all the advice and stories and the LINKS! Very helpful.
I guess any running is better than no running, so I will perservere with the old dreadmill when the weather is bad.
Thanks again and happy running
M
2004-10-01 11:43 AM

User image

Regular
Illinois
Fourteen years of competitive running and I can count on one hand the number of runs I've done on a treadmill. I hate those things!
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Treadmill vs outdoors... Rss Feed